PDA

View Full Version : Casca: The Eteranl Mercenary #1 part 1

whdvorak
07-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Hello Everyone,
This is the first issue in the adaption of, Casca: The Eternal Mercenay. A book series started in 1979, by Barry Sadller. This issue still needed to be edited down to 22 pages. The original idea was for a 4 issue mini series.

William Dvorak
959 Brentwood St.
Lakewood, CO 80214
Wickedstudios1@gmail.com

Page 1 (Splash Page)

Panel 1
Splash page: A Huey Med EVAC helicopter, cuts through hot and sweltering Southeast Asian air as it lands at the Eighth Army Field Hospital. Nurses and orderlies frantically unload wounded, in the whirling dust kicked up by rotor blades.

CAP
Nha Trang, Vietnam, 1970.

CAP
From the humid jungle, to an air conditioned hospital, in just over an hour. Such are the benefits of a Modern nation's technology.

CAP
You have to admire how the Americans wage war.

Page 2 (5 Panels)

Panel 1
The wounded are arranged by severity of injuries, those not severally wounded are shown to seats, while the more seriously injured are on gurneys. Colonel Landries, the Head surgeon and Major Goldman, move among them diagnosing wounds.

Goldman:
Colonel, you better get over here and confirm what I'm seeing.

Panel 2
From Cascaís POV on the gurney looking up at the two doctors peering down at him.

Landries:
All right Goldman, what are you mumbling about? You're not drunk again, are you?

Goldman:
I wish I was, it would explain what I'm seeing.

Panel 3
Landries, bends over and examines Casca. A chunk of skull is missing, revealing Cascaís brain. A sliver of shrapnel protruding from the wound.

Landries:
My God this man shouldn't be alive!

Goldman:
It looks like the shrapnel is being isolated, by a calcification process.

Panel 4
Landries is shouting orders to the surrounding nurses, as Goldman continues to examine Casca.

Landries:
Get this man prepped and into surgery immediately. I want full X-rays and blood work on him now. Get moving people!

Panel 5
Close up of Casca's head wound. Even with a hole in his head and covered in gore, Cascaís face is calm.

CAP
Lots of good men died in Vietnam. A lot of them from my unit, but no matter how terrible the injury, I'm always left behind.

Page 3 (4 Panels)

Panel 1 (Double Panel)
A small company of roman soldiers and a Decurian (Officer) surround three ragged prisoners climbing a path up to Golgotha. Several civilian stragglers, follow at a respectful distance.

CAP
Outside Jerusalem, during the reign of Emperor Tiberius.

Panel 2
POV from Jesus on the ground, as he is nailed to the cross. Two Roman Soldiers hammer spikes into his wrists, while the other soldiers and the Decurian stand watch. Black storm clouds form in the distance.

Decurian:
Hurry up and get this over, its too hot, to be out here any longer than we have to.

Panel 3
Long view of the heights of Golgotha. Dark silhouettes of the soliders, stand out against the sky. Two crosses have already been erected, as a third is raised into place. The sky has grown ominous with storm clouds as the wind picks up.

Panel 4
The Decurian shields his eyes and looks into the sky at the approaching storm. The crosses are planted behind him. The civilians who followed, huddle together at a respectful distance. Achron, Kleton and Casca, stand together in a group.

Decurian:
Alright Casca, Kleton, Achron stay and make sure they die. No sense all of us staying here in a storm.

Achron(Whispering to Kleton)
What the hell did you do to piss him off?

Page 4 (4 Panels)

Panel 1
The other Romans leave, as Kleton and Achron squat down to shoot dice. Casca stares off at the approaching storm.

Kleton:
Hey Casca, we know why the Decurian gives us the crap duties, but youíre a Roman. Why does he hate you?

Casca:
I guess, because I'm friends with dirty Syrians like you two.

Achron:
Ha! Ha! Kleton is dirty, but I went to the baths this morning.

Panel 2
Casca, watches the rolling thunder and lightning of the storm in the distance. Unnatural colors illuminate the clouds, as the lightning flashes. At Casca's feet, the two Syrians continue playing dice oblivious to the approaching storm. The wind howls and blows the branches of trees and uniforms.

Casca:
This is the strangest storm, I've ever seen.

Achron:
Ha! Beat that!

Kleton:
Weíre going to use my dice next.

Jesus (weak and off panel, from above)
Water.

Panel 3
From Jesusí POV looking down at Casca. Jesus' face should never be clearly seen, in the following panels.

Casca:
Water? That will only keep you alive longer. Believe me, the sooner your suffering is over the better.

Panel 4
Casca stares around confused, the day has been replaced by a strange night, the land is only visible in dark silhouettes. The two Syrians, continue playing dice, as if they have no care in the world.

Jesus (OP from above)
O my father, why hast thou forsaken me?

Casca:
Why has your father forsaken you? We are all forsaken, from the time we are born. No one lives forever and itís too late for anyone to help you.

Page 5 (4 Panels)

Panel 1
Hefting his Pilum (Spear) Casca jabs it upward and into Jesus. Again we only see Casca and legs of Jesus.

Casca:
It's time to get this over. I'll try to make it as painless as possible.

Panel 2
An extreme close up of Casca's face as blood from the thrust spays onto him. Some of the blood gets into Casca's mouth.

Panel 3
Casca stumbles back from the cross, down to one knee. The landscape becomes pitch black, while a vortex of wind and rain swirl about him. Light and blood pour from the wound in Jesus' side and rise into the dark skies. The wind howls, while the two Syrians continue to pay dice oblivious.

Casca (SFX)
Aaahhhh!

Panel 4
Casca, in visible pain, doubles over holding his stomach and throws up into the dirt.

Casca (shaky)
By the gods, what have you done to me?

Page 6(Splash page)
Low angle of Casca looking up at the form of Jesus on the cross. A light shines behind Jesus' head and for the first time we see his upper body as he peers down at Casca. Jesus' features are still obscured in this panel. The wind has died down and the landscape has returned to normal. The storm continues in the distance.

Jesus:
Solider, you are content with what you are. Then that you shall remain until we meet again. As I go now to my father, you must one day come to me.

Page 7 (6 Panels)

Panel 1
Colonel Landries and Major Goldman are dressed in scrubs as they operate on Casca.

Landries:
I swear, the shrapnel is longer. It's as if it's being pushed out.

Panel 2
Landries holds the piece of shrapnel in a pair of forceps, examining it. Goldman continues to work on Casca.

Landries:
And his temperature is a steady 97.9 degrees when he should be burning up with fever?

Goldman:
All his vitals are close to normal too, unheard of in a man missing part of his head.

Panel 3
Landries and Goldman continue working on Casca.

Landries:
What did you say this lucky man's name was?

Goldman:
Casey Romain. I got Ferguson, pulling everything on him as we speak. I told him to have it to me by tomorrow, or I'm shipping him out to the Green Berets.

Panel 4
Landries continues to work on Casca's head while Goldman has moved and is working on one of Casca's legs.

Goldman:
The x-rays came up with a dark mass in his leg. I figured while he's under, I'll take a look at it.

Landries:
Is it shrapnel from the mortar?

Goldman:
No it's preexisting.

Panel 5
Landries moves over next to Goldman. We see the full length of Casca on the table and the scars that run cross his entire body.

Landries:
All done on his head. God, this guy looks like a patch work quilt with all these scars.

Goldman:
Most of these scars are old wounds and appear to have been created by sharp edged objects.

Landries:
What were you before the war Romain, A professional knife fighter?

Panel 6
Goldman shows Landries the arrowhead that he has removed from Casca's thigh.

Landries:
What the hell is that?

Goldman:
It's a damn Arrowhead. And I might be wrong, but I think it's bronze.

Page 8 (5 Panels)

Panel 1
A large stone Roman fort, dominates the arid landscape of Palistine. The fort is calm with guards at ease, as a supply train of donkeys and camels enters the fort.

CAP
Judea, was commonly known as a punishment detail. Well earned by myself and my brothers in the infamous tenth Legion.

Panel 2
Casca, Achron and Kleton, sit on their cots maintaining their gear. Casca cleans his gladius with an oiled rag, while Achron patches his leather curiass (Leather Breastplate) and Kleton repairs a sandal.

Kleton:
I didn't know you spoke Hebrew Casca.

Casca:
Hebrew? Who said I spoke Hebrew?

Panel 3
Casca holds up his Gladius, examining it, while Kleton points his sandal at him as he speaks.

Kleton:
Well, you were speaking it yesterday.

Achron:
Yeah, you were chatting it up, with that Jewish prophet we crucified yesterday, but he was speaking Aramaic not Hebrew.

Panel 4
Casca looking perplexed and slightly irritated at the two Syrians, snaps his Gladius back into its scabbard.

Casca:
And how by Pluto's balls would you know that? The two of you were too busy throwing bones to even pay attention to the damn storm.

Panel 5
Achron laughs and points at Casca, while Kleton shakes his head agreeing with him. Casca listens to their story, with growing disbelief.

Achron:
Ha, ha, and how would you know what we were doing? You sat down and went to sleep after you talked to the Jew.

Kleton:
Yeah it was strange, like you were overcome by some spell.

Casca:
Fell asleep? You both drink too much of that Jewish swill, they call wine. Itís rotting your brains.

Page 9 (4 Panels)

Panel 1
Kleton reclines on his cot and tosses his finished sandal to the floor. Achron, having some trouble with his curiass, is concentrating hard with his tongue stuck out.

Kleton:
Regardless, it was a weird night, what with that storm sweeping through like that.

Achron:
Yeah, strangest lightning I've ever seen. I guess Casca wouldn't know, sleeping through it and all.

Panel 2
Casca grabs his helmet and begins polishing it. Kleton and Achron recoil slightly from Casca's mild outburst.

Casca(Burst)
Enough talk of the dead Jew prophet and storms!

Panel 3
Achron, throws a rag at Kleton, who mocks fear and ducks it. The scene brings a slight smile to Casca's face.

Achron:
There, you've angered the large Roman.

Casca:
Besides, I have other things to think of... like Rheza.

Panel 4
Both Kleton and Achron, stop messing around to look at Casca, seriously. Responding, Casca gives them his best innocent little boy look.

Kleton:
Casca, what are you thinking? If Sporus finds out your messing with his wench, he'll kill you.

Achron:
Yeah Roman, have you forgotten that Sporus, is our sergeant and can make your life miserable?

Casca:
Take it easy, you two old ladies. Sporus is never going to find out about it, he has the late shift at Herod's party tonight. Besides, have you seen the way Rheza moves her hips?

Page 10 (4 Panels)

Panel 1
Colonel Landries, still in scrubs, sits at his desk going over papers. Across the desk sits Major Goldman. A bottle of whiskey sits on the table and two mugs are before Landries and Goldman.

Landries:
This makes no sense. Romain, should be a vegetable at best, but he's recovering at an incredible rate.

Goldman:
Colonel, this is beyond anything I've ever seen. Hopefully his records will shed some light on this, but still, we need to notify someone.

Panel 2
Landries picks up his mug and throws the papers onto the desk in disgust.

Landries:
Tell them what? I don't even know how to write the report on this. You know what would happen, if I reported what Romain is going through?

Goldman:
Someone would come fit you for a straight jacket.

Landries:
Exactly! The man's skull is growing back for crying out loud.

Panel 3
Landries puts down his mug and picks up the arrowhead from the desk.

Landries:
I'm not looking to start any crap. Better to kick this can down the road and let someone else ruin their career with it.

Goldman:
Or make his career with it.

Panel 4
Landries picks up his mug again and tosses the arrowhead to Goldman, who catches it.

Landries:
I wish them all the luck, but I want no part of this puzzle. And you're sure about that arrowhead?

Goldman:
It looks like the ones at the Judaic Arts and History Museum, in New York. The one my uncle is curator of, its handmade at least.

Page 11 (3 Panels)

Panel 1
Goldman takes a small cage off the floor and puts it onto the desk.

Landries
What the hell is that?

Panel 2
POV from inside the cage looking out as the two doctors. Inside the cage is a dead guinea pig.

Landries:
Is it dead?

Panel 2
Goldman stands up pointing to the dead guinea pig.

Goldman
I injected two cc's of a whole blood sample from Sergeant Romain into this guinea pig. It died in convulsions, less than ten seconds after.

Panel 3
Landries sits back his face white.

Landries:
We are faced with something outside our experience, Major. I am not sure I really want to know what it is. You stay with him until midnight then come get me to relieve you.

Page 12 & 13 (Full spread)

Panel 1
The inside of a tavern in Jerusalem, made of wood and plaster and with low hanging ceilings. Oil lamps hang by chains from the cielings, or are set onto table. The furniture is sturdy and plain. In the center of the tavern is a slightly raised circular stage, on which a dancing girl whirls around to the music of a lute, drum and flute player. The tavern is crowded, with a blend of humanity from Legionnaires , to merchants of Asia Minor, to desert dwellers with their flowing robes and headdresses.