PDA

View Full Version : Captions and Quotations in comics

Sequential76
07-10-2013, 10:50 AM
I'm confused and I need some help. When a page has captions, when are quotations used? Are quotation marks within a caption a stylistic preference? Like I see Caption boxes and quotation marks in 100 Bullets but not in The Joker. Joker has caption boxes only.

JimCampbell
07-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Simple rule of thumb:

If the caption is third person narration, or a character thinking to themselves — no quotation marks.

A character is speaking 'off screen', either as a voice-over or conversation that is occurring outside the scene being shown in the artwork — quotation marks.

Note that multiple captions with quotations should only have a closing quotation mark when the speaker stops speaking (or is interrupted by another speaker) or at the end of each page.

Cheers

Jim

Sequential76
07-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Sweet Jim thanks!

Todd Klein
07-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Well said, Jim, though some editors like a close quote when someone speaks in a word balloon after the caption, too.

JimCampbell
07-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Well said, Jim

Thanks, Todd. :-)

though some editors like a close quote when someone speaks in a word balloon after the caption, too.

Ooh. That's a vexed one… it's my default instinct to do that, but the vast majority of editors I've worked with have made me change it back!

Cheers

Jim

Thomas Mauer
07-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Well said, Jim, though some editors like a close quote when someone speaks in a word balloon after the caption, too.

That's how I always do it too, and I usually don't close the captions at the end of a page if they continue for the same speaker on the next page.

Always cool to hear how others do it.