PDA

View Full Version : All other summer movies without a thread!

dx
07-04-2013, 10:21 PM
All other summer movies without a thread!

If you seen it and it's not Sups, Wolvie, WWZ, etc...post here.

White House Down

1st off, you have to go in on the premise that you are in on the joke.

It's a slapstick movie that parallels Die Hard down to the white wife-beater that gets every type of stain you can think of. Only thing missing was having to it all in bare feet.

While it's comically overdone, it's entertaining, but it is nowhere close to it's parent film, Die Hard. I am actually surprised this isn't a Bruce Willis movie.

Lovecraft13
07-04-2013, 10:59 PM
I don't know about summer flicks, but I saw the Evil Dead remake the other day and didn't like it.

Moonrider
07-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Did Lone Ranger have a thread?

Just watched it last night. I loved it. It doesn't go far off from the Pirates of The Carribean movies, but at least I think Tonto here is less annoying than Jack Sparrow.

cheeseisgood1918
07-07-2013, 12:27 AM
I don't know about summer flicks, but I saw the Evil Dead remake the other day and didn't like it.

Yeah, I thought it kinda sucked.

Monsters U. was pretty good. Not as good as the original, and I could have done with more Sully, but otherwise decent.

I don't know if this qualifies, as it wasn't a big theatrical release, but I thought V/H/S 2 was better than the first. I haven't seen WWZ but I would be willing the 20 minute or so zombie short in it is 100 times better than anything WWZ had to offer. It's worth watching just for the fresh take on a zombie story that short provides.

Comix Obsession
07-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Did Lone Ranger have a thread?

Just watched it last night. I loved it. It doesn't go far off from the Pirates of The Carribean movies, but at least I think Tonto here is less annoying than Jack Sparrow.

Seriously? Is it actually good?!

I thought it was gonna be some awful, awful 'we can't think of anything quick let's make another Pirates of the Carribean but with different characters' type affair. I'm surprised!

Has anyone seen Despicable Me 2? I haven't, but I have it on good authority that it's just as awesome as the first one (which was a real surprise movie for me).

Moonrider
07-07-2013, 07:59 PM
For me, yeah The Lone Ranger is a highly entertaining movie. Even my wife loved it.
The movie actually touched on a lot of dark material (native American massacre, land grab, cannibalism) but they managed to disguise it into a really fun family movie. Tonto's character is more three dimensional than Jack Sparrow in all of the Pirates movies, and Depp's performance rely more on subtle gestures and physical comedy. It's a throwback to his Benny & Joon days. Armie Hammer reminds me a lot of young Christopher Reeve. He would have made a great Clark Kent, but not necessarily a good Superman.
Reports for Despicable Me 2 however, seem to point out that while the minions are still very watchable, the rest of the movie is quite forgettable. I haven't seen it either, but I think I'll be okay watching it on home video.

Angel
07-08-2013, 02:06 AM
"home video"...you're old :w00t:

dx
07-15-2013, 06:17 PM
I didn't see a Pacific Rim thread.

Definitely worth the watch...perfect mesh between cheesy Japanese Monster flicks and well executed FX visuals. They play into the Genre without making it to over the top cheese

Moonrider
07-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Pacific Rim had its own thread but got buried deep down the list.

Just watched it yesterday myself, in 3D. All I can say right now (since I'm still grinning with delight like a 10 year old after watching the movie) is that it gave me what I expected and more. I'm hoping Del Toro will whip up another one. Hopefully we'll get a gattai/combiner jaeger and the much needed daytime battles.

@angel: I was gonna say I'll probably d*****ad it later from t****nt but I'd buy a two disc licensed DVD of it. I did see the movie in the theater when I wanted to watch Pacific Rim the day before but the ticket sold out. It was really entertaining.

DarkKni9hT
07-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Seriously? Is it actually good?!

I thought it was gonna be some awful, awful 'we can't think of anything quick let's make another Pirates of the Carribean but with different characters' type affair. I'm surprised!

Has anyone seen Despicable Me 2? I haven't, but I have it on good authority that it's just as awesome as the first one (which was a real surprise movie for me).

Apparently, you didn't read the original post by Moonrider. I think that's exactly what he said.

dx
07-16-2013, 02:59 AM
I only have local knowledge from people I know who thought Lone Ranger was a disaster.

I think at this point...I need a day where I am not doing anything...I go watch a movie I want to see, and then then give myself a double header...and sneak into Lone Ranger.

Moonrider
07-16-2013, 04:13 AM
For the record I never actually said that The Lone Ranger was good, I only said that it was highly entertaining.

dx
07-16-2013, 05:35 AM
For the record I never actually said that The Lone Ranger was good, I only said that it was highly entertaining.

Were you high....that's the question!

:carrot::carrot::carrot:
Yeah...I triple carrot you! :sure:

Moonrider....If that's your real name?

Moonrider
07-16-2013, 06:08 AM
If your definition of a 'good movie' is a highly entertaining one, then yes. To me it was a good movie. I can't say the same thing for World War Z because that shit was just downright depressing.

The only way you learn of my true name is to venture into the dark and evil abyss that is known as facebook.

dx
07-16-2013, 06:41 AM
If your definition of a 'good movie' is a highly entertaining one, then yes. To me it was a good movie. I can't say the same thing for World War Z because that shit was just downright depressing.

The only way you learn of my true name is to venture into the dark and evil abyss that is known as facebook.

Back in the day "Facebook" ment hitting someone in the Face with a book.

I first Facebooked someone way back in "88"

Bishop
07-16-2013, 08:36 AM
Pacific Rim anyone?

I went this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was an incredibly fun movie with amazing visuals. I hate that it may not make enough to warrant a sequel, but I think it may be my favorite movie this summer behind Star Trek Into Darkness.

Moonrider
07-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Back in the day "Facebook" ment hitting someone in the Face with a book.

I first Facebooked someone way back in "88"

Do you remember the days when people still ask, "Do you Multiply?"

Pacific Rim anyone?

I went this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was an incredibly fun movie with amazing visuals. I hate that it may not make enough to warrant a sequel, but I think it may be my favorite movie this summer behind Star Trek Into Darkness.

I get the feeling that Del Toro expected that, which is why the whole plot was not made specifically as the beginning of a saga, but instead the end of an era.

dx
07-17-2013, 03:20 AM
How do you Ride a Moon?

Moonrider
07-17-2013, 09:01 AM
Ask Jack Kirby.
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Mark_Moonrider_%28New_Earth%29

dx
07-18-2013, 03:57 AM
Just watched "21 & Over"....it was actually a pretty good movie. Rank it with American Pie and Hangover

Newt
07-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Gundam vs. Godzilla, I mean Pacific Rim, was pure fun. Go see it!

Justice41
07-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Gundam vs. Godzilla, I mean Pacific Rim, was pure fun. Go see it!

Naw Del Toro is a lousy Director. His movies are slow and shallow. They look great.

Bishop
07-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Naw Del Toro is a lousy Director. His movies are slow and shallow. They look great.

Yeah, but you don't like anything

Justice41
07-20-2013, 12:14 AM
Yeah, but you don't like anything

Yeah what? You agree he's a horrible director or the stupid "Office Space" yeah?
I know what I like that's all that matters to me and Del toro stinks. I mean a 200 million dolla movie only raking in 52 million domestic so far? This will do Hellboy 2 numbers. Which is barely make back it's production. BO may not be a measure of a good or bad movie, but it helps. The audience for this typa flick just aint there. The giant robo godzilla crap should be left over in Japan. If the robo's transformed maybe. Hiding all the sfx in night time is a dead giveaway to how bad a movies efx may be.
Pacific Rimjob may as well be called Battleship 2.

Moonrider
07-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Well, I know what I like and I don't see Del Toro as a lousy director. Some people see Zach Snyder as a lousy director but the fact is most of his movies made enough money. Just because a director makes movies for a currently non-existent audience doesn't make him/her a lousy one. A good director is one who has clear vision of what he wants despite the limitations he faced. Yes, bad sfx included. So he had to hide a lot of the crappy cgi in darkness. A bad director probably couldn't care less about that kind of shit and instead we'll get this kind of turd:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5d/Atlantic-Rim-DVD.jpg
http://img.moviepilot.com/assets/tarantulaV2/article_images/1369741681_atlantic-rim-trailer.jpg

Justice41
07-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Well clear vision doesn't mean a damn thing if the results are lackluster. Those Sy Fy flicks are meant to be bad, What's Pacific trims excuse. Bad Directors make bad movies. And 200 million is not a limited budget. Bay was able to do more with much less. Both TF 1 and TF 3 had less budget than PR. Del toro needs to stick to his little fairy stories.

Moonrider
07-20-2013, 09:58 PM
So by your logic, if say SHARKNADO was a theater release and it made profit because a) They practically have nearly zero production budget and b) Enough people love to watch anything that closely resembles piles of decomposing manure just for the heck of it, then it ceased to be a bad movie and the director is automatically hailed as the second coming of Michael Bay. Hell, it's basically Ian Ziering's Oscar bait.

I am not going to argue this.

Bishop
07-21-2013, 12:09 AM
Taste in movies is subjective. I think Del Toro is an excellent director. Hellboy 2 was kind of meh, but it was still better than a lot of crap out there. Pacific Rim was a fun movie in my opinion, and I hate Godzilla movies. I go to the theater to have fun and be entertained. This movie delivered both.

dx
07-21-2013, 03:30 AM
Dude...Justice...go pay for a movie you want to watch, after, sneak into Pacific Rim (so you don't have to bitch about paying to see it), then criticize it.

You tend to make blanket comments without seeing the movie based upon personal issues with a director/producer/Studio...without ever seeing the movie!

Moonrider
07-21-2013, 07:15 AM
I did see Pacific Rim, in 3D no less. It was all I ever hoped for and more.

I guess I didn't make that clear in my previous posts.

Justice41
07-21-2013, 03:46 PM
So by your logic, if say SHARKNADO was a theater release and it made profit because a) They practically have nearly zero production budget and b) Enough people love to watch anything that closely resembles piles of decomposing manure just for the heck of it, then it ceased to be a bad movie and the director is automatically hailed as the second coming of Michael Bay. Hell, it's basically Ian Ziering's Oscar bait.

I am not going to argue this.

If's are for children.

Justice41
07-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Dude...Justice...go pay for a movie you want to watch, after, sneak into Pacific Rim (so you don't have to bitch about paying to see it), then criticize it.

You tend to make blanket comments without seeing the movie based upon personal issues with a director/producer/Studio...without ever seeing the movie!

saw the movie, it sucked. Stupid storyline. Ohh tough black guy dying of radiation poisoning trying to protect innocent wee oriental chick with colored bangs who has issues. The whole thing was just no worth a damn. If Monkeyboy Perlman is in a movie it's def gonna be a stinker.

dx
07-21-2013, 07:12 PM
From everything I saw and read about the movie, it was intentionally cheesy and over the top. It was paying homage to all the old Japanese Giant Monster/Giant Robot flicks from the past....with just a higher budget and way better visual effects. Even some of the scenes were taken right out of the original Godzilla black and white film.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo.....what were you expecting?

Moonrider
07-21-2013, 10:20 PM
I suspect, another Transformers.

Justice41
07-21-2013, 11:09 PM
From everything I saw and read about the movie, it was intentionally cheesy and over the top. It was paying homage to all the old Japanese Giant Monster/Giant Robot flicks from the past....with just a higher budget and way better visual effects. Even some of the scenes were taken right out of the original Godzilla black and white film.

Sooooooooooooooooooooo.....what were you expecting?

a good movie.. that too hard to expect these days. You guys make way too many excuses for shit. You liked it, fine I didn't you'll never convince me otherwise nor will i convince you guys you like eating shit.

Moonrider
07-21-2013, 11:50 PM
Oh, come now. Nobody ever tried to convince you to do anything besides being the wonderful, charming person we know that you can be. ;)

dx
07-22-2013, 03:05 AM
a good movie.. that too hard to expect these days. You guys make way too many excuses for shit. You liked it, fine I didn't you'll never convince me otherwise nor will i convince you guys you like eating shit.

Wasn't trying to convince you of anything...just stating what the goal of the movie was versus your own personal wants.

It sounds like you wanted something the movie wasn't intended for.

Justice41
07-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Oh, come now. Nobody ever tried to convince you to do anything besides being the wonderful, charming person we know that you can be. ;)

Heh, But that's not true.

Justice41
07-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Wasn't trying to convince you of anything...just stating what the goal of the movie was versus your own personal wants.

It sounds like you wanted something the movie wasn't intended for.

A good watchable flick? Is that too much to ask for? Guess so. But my own fault for forgetting Del Toro was directing this. Can only blame meself for forgetting what a lousy boring director he is.

dx
07-22-2013, 07:17 PM
A good watchable flick? Is that too much to ask for? Guess so. But my own fault for forgetting Del Toro was directing this. Can only blame meself for forgetting what a lousy boring director he is.

You seriously are the only person on the boards or in my day to day life, that is viewing the movie the way you are.

I think your hate is clouding your judgment, and hate leads to the dark side!

Justice41
07-22-2013, 07:46 PM
Naw, let me explain. Now none of ya'll started out liking eating shit but after many years of eating small portions you've not only grown to aquire a taste for it but you now look for it in variety. It's not just plain ole bull or dog you like, now it's cat, bear, squirrel, rat, bird, camel and an assortment of shits you've grown to like and look forward to. Years of conditioning watching shit on tv and at the theater have left ya'll with no idea what good is. You have no frame of reference, just shit. When all you know is shit of course you'll enjoy more shit. Fact that you point to shit to defend shit proves my point. Only thing I've watched on Sy Fy is that movie makeup show. I like competition shows.
If you're going to point to something to compare at least try not to point to more shit.

Moonrider
07-22-2013, 09:24 PM
You're cute, Roy. But really, anyone that tries as hard as you to make a case about your own subjective opinion by calling out other people who has different preferences than you with an assortment of judgmental words should really have sex more often and take life a little less seriously. Just an opinion, mind you.

:)

Justice41
07-23-2013, 03:12 AM
So when all else fails call me sexless. Ha, Classic loser argument. Sorry to wipe away some of that shit your covered in with a little spring water of truth, you can go back and wallow in the shit mire now.

dx
07-23-2013, 06:10 AM
speaking of shit...you're full of it.

This is how it always ends with you with everyone you disagree with or somehow want just want to be a dick to whoever is on DW.

You always digress into tirades of spewing crap at people.

NO one...no one on this thread attacked you or called you stupid or nincompoop
....and yet...we get your last post.

I would like to say more...but there's no point.

cheeseisgood1918
07-23-2013, 08:18 AM
Well clear vision doesn't mean a damn thing if the results are lackluster. Those Sy Fy flicks are meant to be bad, What's Pacific trims excuse. Bad Directors make bad movies. And 200 million is not a limited budget. Bay was able to do more with much less. Both TF 1 and TF 3 had less budget than PR. Del toro needs to stick to his little fairy stories.

Hang on, Bay did more? I haven't seen PR, so I can't comment on that, but on the whole, Del Toro has had some smaller budgets in the past and has made some visually stunning, or at the very least, interesting looking films. Pan's Labyrinth is a good example. As a director, his films look great, and some of the shots he gets are very impressive from a technical standpoint. You may be bored by the narrative, but he makes pretty films.

Bay on Transformers made those movies look like shit. The action didn't translate well to the eyes, you couldn't tell the Transformers apart when they were fighting half the time. Every movie looked clumsy, and all the action was muddy, and had no focal point. And he's supposed to be known for his action scenes.

Lovecraft13
07-23-2013, 09:54 PM
And you guys are listening to Justice41 because? Dude doesn't like stuff. I'm sure he thinks he has amazing taste. He doesn't have to justify why. He has important things to do, like telling you he doesn't like stuff.

Bishop
07-23-2013, 09:59 PM
And you guys are listening to Justice41 because? Dude doesn't like stuff. I'm sure he thinks he has amazing taste. He doesn't have to justify why. He has important things to do, like telling you he doesn't like stuff.

Hence the reason I haven't taken his bait. We may be wallowing in crap. He just fails to realize he is too. He's just in a different pig pen. Thank God.

The Dag
07-23-2013, 10:34 PM
i don't why people still whining about Justice41 still. we all aready know the guy is a bitch.

Justice41
07-24-2013, 02:14 AM
i don't why people still whining about Justice41 still. we all aready know the guy is a bitch.

Reason you guys do is because like all dweebs you can't help yourselves. You have to be right at all costs. You'll never be right arguing opinions.

Moonrider
07-24-2013, 02:17 AM
My opinion is that you're an asshole.

Here's a smiley face. :)

Justice41
07-24-2013, 02:22 AM
Hang on, Bay did more? I haven't seen PR, so I can't comment on that, but on the whole, Del Toro has had some smaller budgets in the past and has made some visually stunning, or at the very least, interesting looking films. Pan's Labyrinth is a good example. As a director, his films look great, and some of the shots he gets are very impressive from a technical standpoint. You may be bored by the narrative, but he makes pretty films.

Bay on Transformers made those movies look like shit. The action didn't translate well to the eyes, you couldn't tell the Transformers apart when they were fighting half the time. Every movie looked clumsy, and all the action was muddy, and had no focal point. And he's supposed to be known for his action scenes.

Never said Bays flicks are good or bad just that for a lesser budget he made a lot of stuff happen. He had a lot of CGI and lots of shots and locations. PR had a backlot and lottsa green/blue screen. You can't completely blame the man for his ambitions, putting so many heavily designed and cluttered Bots in daylight is a huge risk and that is really on ILM or whatever company did the CGI and compositing. Del Toro took the easy way out and had his bots in darkness and rain. In fact watch the movie again and take note of how the bot and beast keep getting taller or shorter depending on where they are compared to the buildings. One scene they look to tower over everything next they don't yet the scene is basically in the same cluster of CGI buildings.
I agree and I always say Del Toro makes amazing looking flicks, well designed well crafted but just boring and plodding as hell.
You know if a chef worries over every little thing in his kitchen by the time his prepared meal hits your table it's probably going to be cold. Methinks Del Toro does too much.

Justice41
07-24-2013, 02:25 AM
My opinion is that you're an asshole.

Here's a smiley face. :)

Name calling now, getting personal. Loser tactics yet again.

dx
07-24-2013, 03:59 AM

Dude....you start this shit.

Read everyone's post after your tirade....it's only when you start this kind of crap that people start getting really negative with you.

cheeseisgood1918
07-24-2013, 07:30 PM
Never said Bays flicks are good or bad just that for a lesser budget he made a lot of stuff happen. He had a lot of CGI and lots of shots and locations. PR had a backlot and lottsa green/blue screen. You can't completely blame the man for his ambitions, putting so many heavily designed and cluttered Bots in daylight is a huge risk and that is really on ILM or whatever company did the CGI and compositing. Del Toro took the easy way out and had his bots in darkness and rain. In fact watch the movie again and take note of how the bot and beast keep getting taller or shorter depending on where they are compared to the buildings. One scene they look to tower over everything next they don't yet the scene is basically in the same cluster of CGI buildings.
I agree and I always say Del Toro makes amazing looking flicks, well designed well crafted but just boring and plodding as hell.
You know if a chef worries over every little thing in his kitchen by the time his prepared meal hits your table it's probably going to be cold. Methinks Del Toro does too much.

I agree with most of that. I've noticed a scaling problem with a lot of giant monster, giant robot, gift whatever movies. Ever see Cloverfield? Holy hell, that monster grew and shrank with impunity throughout the entire film.

Moonrider
07-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Arguing that Del Toro is a bad director just because he put a lot of his robot scenes in dark settings and simply assume that he did that as a lazy attempt to hide bad CGI is pretty weak since you didn't consider that maybe this is the visual style that Del Toro is actually aiming for and the fact that the production scale of Pacific Rim is not as small as Transformers or any other robot movies to date. The most amazing part that went overlooked in Pacific Rim is actually the movement of the ocean waves which are mostly CGI that interacts well with other materials in the movie. The boats, the city, the robots, and even how the waves hit the kaiju is all splendidly done. That is not cheap CGI. Putting the fights in daytime may make the CGI look less impressive, yet as a director who knows his limitations scaling back and hiding the flaws does not a bad director make, instead it shows restraint in creating such a massive project with a budget that is already expensive. You can have a stunning CGI robot vs giant monster movie with lots of day scene, but it will most likely be a $500million movie instead of a $200million international box office hit. This is where vision comes in. In theory one can make a similar concept with less budget, and God bless directors who can do so and still look good (the original Japanese Godzilla movie directors included), but I imagined there will be more people bitching about the movie if Del Toro slashed the budget.

Bringing in Michael Bay as comparison is also laughable considering that although he used a lot of day scenes it is obvious that he hid a lot of the crappy CGI with his frantic camera movement and hard to focus fight scenes. Even when he did less of it in the sequel the CGI still look awfully bad. The robots move awkwardly as if they have no weight whatsoever when they're not punching or shooting stuff around, materials seem to be made out of chrome plated rust buckets welded together by hobby glue, metal parts flying everywhere but gone at the very next scene, it was all still a huge pile of CGI mess.

And if 'boring and plodding as hell' is your reasoning why Del Toro is a bad director yet you defended Michael Bay as doing more with less, it just proves the fact that you like more style over substance which is what Bay's movies often referred to. I don't find this argue-worthy because it is your personal preference as I have mine, but calling us shit lovers over those preferences is more or less just another example of the phrase "the pot calling the kettle black".

That's it, I'm done.

Comix Obsession
07-25-2013, 11:27 AM

'October 17th, 1985. Argued with man in street tonight. Movie he'd watched, didn't like sound of it. Said it was crap. Made joke about director, derogatory remarks. Made him angry. Liked this. One day, perhaps, there will be a place where I can do this on a daily basis to an audience. Hating World becomes easier with every attempt. I will give myself name, Justice41, because Roschach is too obvious.'

Seriously, though - why do you all bother. Justice has already shown he isn't taking this seriously with his 'Pacific Rimjob' comment. It's obvious he's just trolling - he doesn't like movies, just movies he's read comics of. Have you guys seriously missed his comments on other threads? He's furiously passionate about things like Superman's costume in the films, besides superheroes he doesn't know anything about this stuff. Del Toro is a bad director - this is the opinion of someone who knows nothing about film.

If we're talking about Pacific Rim, I can't comment - I haven't seen it yet. It is, however, Del Toro's first 'real' stab at a major motion picture - all his other work (including Hellboy) has been very much in his realm: indie-like, creative, story-driven films with his own personal take on the fantasy genre. He's a very talented 'ideas-man' who also happens to have a flair for directing his stories. So Pacific Rim does come as quite a shock from a director who usually handles projects quite a lot smaller than this. However, it's not really a surprise that he's done a 'robots vs monsters' film, it's always seemed obvious that this would be his kind of thing.

Based on the comments in here, it sounds awesome.

dx
07-26-2013, 02:37 AM
Well....RED 2 was fun...not as fun as RED...but still an enjoyable flick. John Malkovich stole the show once again. I think the dark humor in RED was just too hard to capture again because if you have seen the first one...it's kinda like you are in on the joke, so it's not as funny as the first time you heard it...but RED 2 is still worth a watch.

Moonrider
07-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Anybody watched The Heat? Is it any good?

cheeseisgood1918
07-27-2013, 12:30 AM
Anybody watched The Heat? Is it any good?

It had its moments. Probably not worth more than a Netflix view though. All in all, pretty much what you would expect. Bullock is the straight man FBI agent, McCarthy is the wacky Boston cop. Lots of clichéd characters, a 2 dimensional villain or two. Nothing special, but not the worst comedy we'll see this year.

dx
12-31-2013, 02:24 PM
THe Lone Ranger...

I want my $1.30 back from red box. What a F'n waste of time. Almost unbearable to watch.

This goes back to the argument,.. how the hell do the people involved in making this piece of crap have jobs in the movie industry when there are so many people trying to break in?

Man...the reviews may have been harsh to people who had not seen the film, but after watching it...the reviews could have been worse.

:man: