PDA

View Full Version : 300 Part II: 300 Harder

Moonrider
06-13-2013, 12:15 PM
AKA Rise of an Empire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrgSpvelFC4&feature=player_embedded

I'd watch it. On regular days when movie tickets are cheaper and I got nothing better to do.

dx
06-14-2013, 03:51 AM
Hmmmm....I'll watch it.

Comix Obsession
06-14-2013, 01:05 PM
What a load of old shite. Or, in 300 speak: SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITE!

300 was an embarrassing film. Embarrassing that it was made, embarrassing for everyone in it, and embarrassing to watch (even when I was on my own). It was also bloody dull. I'm convinced that one day, someone (maybe Snyder) will make a film ENTIRELY in slow motion, perhaps of a man walking down the street swinging a sword at an eagle or something whilst a woman drops a glass or something that will inevitably smash to the ground (in slow motion) as the man is felled by this eagle and drops to the ground, hard (in slow motion). Roll credits. It will be called something like 'Rise of the Eagle' or something and will also include a speech at the start with buzz-phrases like 'We will not fall!' 'We will not go quietly!' and 'We will rise up against them with the fury of a thousand lions!' - basically the kind of speeches that any film of 300's ilk must include to stir up the emotions and make us feel like something epic is happening.

Anyway - 300 was bad. In fact, it was awful. It was so awful that I honestly can't even believe anyone takes it seriously. The spoof trailer 'Caketown' was better than the whole movie, because it was intentionally fun. 300 is just dull. Dull, dull, dull.

Will I watch this sequel? Well, see, there's the kicker. Yes, I probably would have it on in the background whilst drawing. Because honestly, despite how utterly, utterly shite these films are, they are like something with Van Damme or Seagal in - if there's nothing else on, and you need something to keep you entertained whilst staring at a blank sheet of paper you are gradually filling with cartoon doodles, then this kind of mindless nonsense is perfect. It's perfect for filling in a blank in your brain, laughing at, enjoying on a level of 'huh, huh, he kicked that guy 20ft' (this is impossible) and then forgetting for ever after. Of course, you can't really ever forget it - because for some reason, 300 is incredibly overhyped. I'm almost not looking forward to 'Man of Steel' just because Snyder intentionally made these films.

Newt
06-14-2013, 01:31 PM
I haven't read the graphic novel. The film makes me not want to. It's just Herodotos' history of Thermopylai with one side portrayed as monsters, and a little filler. Even many of the lines are lifted straight from Herodotos- the good ones, like, "Then we shall fight in the shade,", not the crappy ones, like "THIS......IS......SPARTAAAAA!!!!".

I'm going to make a graphic novel like that. It'll be the story of the Battle of Ticonderoga, only the British will be lobster-clawed mutants, Benedict Arnold will be dressed in a speedo to reveal his oily muscles, and Ethan Allen will be nine feet tall.

"THIS......IS......AMERICAAAAA!!!!!"

Buckyrig
06-14-2013, 01:34 PM
I'm going to make a graphic novel like that. It'll be the story of the Battle of Ticonderoga, only the British will be lobster-clawed mutants, Benedict Arnold will be dressed in a speedo to reveal his oily muscles, and Ethan Allen will be nine feet tall.

"THIS......IS......AMERICAAAAA!!!!!"

Please don't do that. It will be the first time most Americans learn about Ticonderoga (other than the pencils) and you'll give the nativist nimrods more fuel.

Newt
06-14-2013, 02:01 PM
usa! usa! usa! usa! usa!

Lovecraft13
06-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Well, this one can't possibly be more overrated than the first flick.

dx
06-14-2013, 04:53 PM
What a load of old shite. Or, in 300 speak: SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITE!

300 was an embarrassing film. Embarrassing that it was made, embarrassing for everyone in it, and embarrassing to watch (even when I was on my own). It was also bloody dull. I'm convinced that one day, someone (maybe Snyder) will make a film ENTIRELY in slow motion, perhaps of a man walking down the street swinging a sword at an eagle or something whilst a woman drops a glass or something that will inevitably smash to the ground (in slow motion) as the man is felled by this eagle and drops to the ground, hard (in slow motion). Roll credits. It will be called something like 'Rise of the Eagle' or something and will also include a speech at the start with buzz-phrases like 'We will not fall!' 'We will not go quietly!' and 'We will rise up against them with the fury of a thousand lions!' - basically the kind of speeches that any film of 300's ilk must include to stir up the emotions and make us feel like something epic is happening.

Anyway - 300 was bad. In fact, it was awful. It was so awful that I honestly can't even believe anyone takes it seriously. The spoof trailer 'Caketown' was better than the whole movie, because it was intentionally fun. 300 is just dull. Dull, dull, dull.

Will I watch this sequel? Well, see, there's the kicker. Yes, I probably would have it on in the background whilst drawing. Because honestly, despite how utterly, utterly shite these films are, they are like something with Van Damme or Seagal in - if there's nothing else on, and you need something to keep you entertained whilst staring at a blank sheet of paper you are gradually filling with cartoon doodles, then this kind of mindless nonsense is perfect. It's perfect for filling in a blank in your brain, laughing at, enjoying on a level of 'huh, huh, he kicked that guy 20ft' (this is impossible) and then forgetting for ever after. Of course, you can't really ever forget it - because for some reason, 300 is incredibly overhyped. I'm almost not looking forward to 'Man of Steel' just because Snyder intentionally made these films.

That's a lot of hate for one film.

I take it you have never seen fine films such as Zardoz starring Sean Connery.

300 is a Masterpiece compared to that.

Lovecraft13
06-14-2013, 05:35 PM
I think this one looks better than the first one. Granted, I hated the first one.

Comix Obsession
06-16-2013, 08:33 AM
That's a lot of hate for one film.

I take it you have never seen fine films such as Zardoz starring Sean Connery.

300 is a Masterpiece compared to that.

It's a lot of hate for a very over-hyped film. I haven't seen Zardoz starring Sean Connery, but it would have been rather random of me to come into a thread about the 300 sequel and start ranting about something complete unrelated even if I had. I'm well aware that there are a lot of awful films out there, but only one of them is relevant to this thread.