PDA

View Full Version : Probably an overdone question but - who do you think could be Wonder Woman?

johnjohn
05-25-2013, 01:29 AM
Like I said this has probably been asked to death here, but I'll ask it again.

What actress do you think could play Wonder Woman?

A couple of the actresses I saw mentioned was Eliza Dushku or Gemma Arterton but I'm curious who the folks here think could play her.

Comix Obsession
05-25-2013, 01:59 AM
I'm thinking Madonna or Tina Turner. Or Zoe Saldana, because she's a million times better than those two.

Lord Fejj
05-25-2013, 03:01 AM
The girl who plays Bones, because she looks kind of like Linda Carter...I loves me some Linda Carter!

DarkKni9hT
05-25-2013, 03:33 AM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/DarkKni9hT/8JcaICbQdTs.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/DarkKni9hT/media/8JcaICbQdTs.jpg.html)

Bridget Regan, who played Kahlan in the grossly underachieved "Legend of the Seeker" series. Not only does she have the looks but, despite the series' shortcomings when weighed against Terry Goodkind's books, she's got both acting and action chops. Snap her up before it's too late.

Scribbly
05-25-2013, 05:30 AM
Bridget Regan, who played Kahlan in the grossly underachieved "Legend of the Seeker" series. Not only does she have the looks but, despite the series' shortcomings when weighed against Terry Goodkind's books, she's got both acting and action chops. Snap her up before it's too late.

^^Ditto. She has the body and the face.
The style, the presence and the dignity the character requires.
She's also on her 30's and is not quite a very famous face, yet.
It would be nice if she also can play the character for a bunch of movies!

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p214/yeyed/82340_kahlans2_122_434locopy_zpsd69a3f9f.jpg (http://s129.photobucket.com/user/yeyed/media/82340_kahlans2_122_434locopy_zpsd69a3f9f.jpg.html)

Moonrider
05-25-2013, 10:44 AM
^ I love her cleavage.

Buckyrig
05-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Or Zoe Saldana, because she's a million times better than those two.

Way too skinny to play Wonder Woman.

johnjohn
05-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Yeah, my first thought too.

Comix Obsession
05-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Hah, I wasn't answering seriously. I'm not really interested in Wonder Woman - she's the female Superman and pretty boring to me. That said, if an awesome film could be made that could educate me on why the character is great, then I'd rather see someone I've never heard of playing her than a familiar face. The woman above certainly has the looks. I guess cleavage is a huge factor, so an actress with massive boobs? I'm not sure what Wonder Woman does for the whole 'strong female characters' argument, though.

CHWolf
05-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Wonder Woman is actually DC's Thor more than she is female Superman. It's just that they often don't exploit that and revert to the "Super Woman" laziness.

johnjohn
05-25-2013, 04:05 PM
I think they could do a good movie, but I think it would need some really good writing.
Which, given most super-hero movies, means it would probably be doomed.

Moonrider
05-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Here's another overdone question. What makes it so hard for the character to be translated to the silver screen? Is it the costume? The mythology? The concept?

CHWolf
05-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Let's look at the history of female leads in super-hero films.

Supergirl... Catwoman... Elektra...

Common threads?

Overwhelming camp. "Girly" themes including make-up tycoons and saving little girls, etc.

I don't think they can bring themselves to treat female heroes with any real respect. They barely get it when they're NOT the star. For every actually-kinda-scary "Batman Returns" Catwoman there's an Uma Poison Ivy, etc.

Angel
05-27-2013, 11:51 PM
They try to over feminize the characters and sell their sexuality and that is not enough for them to be interesting...that is always the main problem.

Buckyrig
05-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Wasn't there talk at one point of Joss Whedon working on a Wonder Woman movie? Or was that just fan projection?

Does William Messner-Loebs have any screenwriting experience? Because, if that's the case, there's your guy to write the thing.

Duane Korslund
05-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Joss was going to do wonder woman, but I guess he scrapped it for the Avengers

Jasen Smith
05-29-2013, 03:00 PM
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/085/1/1/wonder_woman_gina_carano_superman_by_christinalong meadow-d5zdm2j.png

I remember Gina Carano's name being thrown around back in the day for Wonder Woman.

Justice41
05-29-2013, 09:13 PM
After the female immortal in Hancock there should be no reason not to make a super hero flick of WW. WW needs to be up against someone as powerful as her. Not corporate badguys or petty crooks. She does need to be tall only so she stands out from everyone else around her. The chick that was in the TV pilot was a good pick but the stupid story was death. Anyone seen the pilot? Awful. It's funny though to see unfinished footage. Stunt guys with wire harnesses and all that stuff.The costume needs to be redesigned for practical use. You swing a sword you need arm and shoulder protection. You use a bow you'll need arm protections along with hand and finger protection

Moonrider
05-31-2013, 02:56 AM
As I remember, every time anyone attempted to redesign her costume to be more practical it's always met with negative fan reaction.

Comix Obsession
05-31-2013, 04:05 PM
As I remember, every time anyone attempted to redesign her costume to be more practical it's always met with negative fan reaction.

Doesn't the same apply for every costume redesign ever?

I'd like to see a Wonder Woman movie. I'd actually really like to go and see a superhero movie where the main character is female, any character! I'm not at all interested in Superman (as a character) but I'm hoping Man of Steel can change my perception of him. I don't really have any preconceptions about women superheroes, but I'd like to be shown a good reason to have more of them. It's kinda embarrassing how under-represented women are in these movies.

Still, I'd also like to see a character that is a bit more natural and realistic. The Wonder Woman above looks great, but just who is she aimed at, really?

Justice41
05-31-2013, 04:30 PM
Being aimed at is the worst approach a movie company makes. It's exclusionary there fore myopic. To Do WW justice They need to do a Thor with Her. Introduce her out of time during some huge battle with Ares or Hades or one of the Darker Gods. Then bring in the modern day or at least bring her to the 1940's world. Then introduce her to our timeline at the end . Show her for what she is. A tough ageless broad.
Imagine something like a 300 type battle with her and the Amazon's vs Ares Then again fighting Ares during WW2 but through his surrogate then the main part of the movie being in the present day.

Buckyrig
06-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Being aimed at is the worst approach a movie company makes. It's exclusionary there fore myopic. To Do WW justice They need to do a Thor with Her. Introduce her out of time during some huge battle with Ares or Hades or one of the Darker Gods. Then bring in the modern day or at least bring her to the 1940's world. Then introduce her to our timeline at the end . Show her for what she is. A tough ageless broad.
Imagine something like a 300 type battle with her and the Amazon's vs Ares Then again fighting Ares during WW2 but through his surrogate then the main part of the movie being in the present day.

The only possible problem with setting her first movie primarily during WWII is that it might look like they were aping the Captain America movie. (Although, since that movie was only ok, if they were to actually nail it, people would ignore it I suppose.)

Justice41
06-01-2013, 12:16 PM
I don't see a problem with a WW2 era flick because most people remember the tv show primarily was around that time period. But the entire flick wouldn't be in that time period just the opening sequences to establish the war between amazons and Ares. Kinda like they did in the cartoon movie.

Bishop
06-01-2013, 04:22 PM
I thought the tv show was set in present day at the time (70's and 80's)...

Buckyrig
06-01-2013, 05:21 PM
I thought the tv show was set in present day at the time (70's and 80's)...

First season or two were set during WWII. Then it jumped into the then-present. Don't recall how/why though.

Co.Inkadink
06-01-2013, 05:45 PM
First season or two were set during WWII. Then it jumped into the then-present. Don't recall how/why though.

It was never explained they just were in the 70s the second season.

Bishop
06-01-2013, 08:29 PM

Weird that I do not the remember that at all. I was just a kid, but I watched the show religiously. I love the idea of a movie that jumps through time with the Amazons fighting dark gods and the like.

Justice41
06-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Yeah First season she had an old looking invisi plane the next season she had a sleek invisi jet. Was Lyle Waggoner still playing Steve whatshisface and was she still working for the Airforce?
http://ramp.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Invisible_Plane.jpg

Justice41
06-01-2013, 09:05 PM
Wonder Woman had achieved solid ratings on ABC for the weeks it had aired during the 1976-1977 TV season. But the network was still reluctant to renew the series for another season. Wonder Woman was a period piece, and as such, it was more expensive to produce than a series set in the present day. Also, ABC thought that the 1940s-setting limited the possible storylines, with the major villains being Nazis. ABC did not renew the series so Jerry Lieder, then-president of Warner Bros. Television, went to CBS with the notion of shifting the series to the present-day 1970s, which would cost less to produce and allow for more creative storylines. CBS agreed and picked up the show in 1977 and it continued its run for another two seasons. Years later, executive producer Douglas S. Cramer would say he didn't agree with moving the series to a contemporary setting; that it was the World War II episodes that had really resonated with viewers. Co-star Lyle Waggoner stated he felt "the show would have stayed on a lot longer if they had left her fighting Nazis".

Moonrider
06-02-2013, 08:34 AM
So why does the concept of a woman with herculean strength fighting bad guys while wearing what is essentially a bathing suit (or a modified USO can can dancer outfit) can only work if she's limited to fighting Nazis?

Comix Obsession
06-02-2013, 08:43 AM
But no one cares about the original series. At least, that's the approach that's obviously going to be taken by any studio willing to make this movie.

Being aimed at is the worst approach a movie company makes. It's exclusionary there fore myopic.

It's also almost unavoidable. Big films like this will always have a 'target' audience. Without them there is huge risk that the film won't interest anyone ('anyone' being enough people to warrant the cost of the film in the first place). There aren't enough hugely successful 'aimed at everyone' success stories out there for Hollywood to take the risk, but I honestly believe that even if there were Hollywood still wouldn't take the risk because they live in a bubble lined with billions of dollars. Animation is currently the leading industry in aiming at anyone and being successful at it. I firmly believe that. Look at 'Adventure Time' or 'The Regular Show'. Look at the talent coming from those shows to create new work. It's following in the footsteps of the film industry back in the height of independent work when cheap films were being courted by huge talents - but a film like Wonder Woman will never be part of that World.

To Do WW justice They need to do a Thor with Her. Introduce her out of time during some huge battle with Ares or Hades or one of the Darker Gods. Then bring in the modern day or at least bring her to the 1940's world. Then introduce her to our timeline at the end . Show her for what she is. A tough ageless broad.

I agree completely. Throw the audience into a huge opening where an already established Wonder Woman can be seen at (nearly) the top of her game, and then give us a reason to care about her. I'd really, really like to see a film like this. Thor was great for that reason, even if it was a 'beginning' story, almost.

Justice41
06-04-2013, 01:01 AM
But no one cares about the original series. At least, that's the approach that's obviously going to be taken by any studio willing to make this movie.

It's also almost unavoidable. Big films like this will always have a 'target' audience. Without them there is huge risk that the film won't interest anyone ('anyone' being enough people to warrant the cost of the film in the first place). There aren't enough hugely successful 'aimed at everyone' success stories out there for Hollywood to take the risk, but I honestly believe that even if there were Hollywood still wouldn't take the risk because they live in a bubble lined with billions of dollars. Animation is currently the leading industry in aiming at anyone and being successful at it. I firmly believe that. Look at 'Adventure Time' or 'The Regular Show'. Look at the talent coming from those shows to create new work. It's following in the footsteps of the film industry back in the height of independent work when cheap films were being courted by huge talents - but a film like Wonder Woman will never be part of that World.

I agree completely. Throw the audience into a huge opening where an already established Wonder Woman can be seen at (nearly) the top of her game, and then give us a reason to care about her. I'd really, really like to see a film like this. Thor was great for that reason, even if it was a 'beginning' story, almost.

Actually the tv show is the only live action version of WW so whether anyone but us old farts remembers it it won't matter. The studios will always go back to the tried and true.