PDA

View Full Version : Green Hulk

calliopes
05-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Here is my version of the Green Hulk from the same line art that I used for the Grey Hulk. Working on a Red Hulk Version as well.

http://calliopes.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Challenge-03_Patterson_Hulk_Green_ReAdjust.jpg

Jasen Smith
05-21-2013, 07:55 PM
I see a few things that you could improve on with this.
I think the line art for the ground should have a color hold on it, like the shadows and texture lines.
I don't think your selections are natural, looks like maybe you selected it with the wand and then contracted the selection then added the gradient. I notice it the most on the Hulk's shoulder.
Don't be afraid to color over the artist's line art either, add some dust flying up in the foreground and throw in some shine on those missiles.
Lastly, I think in order to make the jeeps more 3 dimensional you can add some highlight to the edges.

Here is a crappy paint over to give you an idea about what I mean on the hard lines.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-spo89jNVhNI/UZv69p7IB_I/AAAAAAAAOZ8/Fm8wGwQnxcA/w708-h1048-no/Paintover.jpg

calliopes
05-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks Jasen, I will add some of that to the Red Hulk version I am working on.

GeekyWhiteGuy
05-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Jason added some great notes but also that front bumper is WAY too blue.

It's cool to see one of the HiFi Challenges posted here. Woo! :)

MBirkhofer
05-31-2013, 09:18 AM
hey calliopes.

There are a few things that stand out to me here.
one is, what you didnt do.
the jeep looks entirely flat. Metal is highly reflective. and will tend to be the brightest brights, and darkest darks on the page. you really need to define the shape of those jeeps. top/side etc.
Second, textures. the flat ground textures you placed to suggest smoke, and ground are entirely flat. no shading, no nothing. again. they completely flatten out the ground. this is really bad at the tangent of the tire behind hulks head, were the tire looks like its stuck in the ground. we should be able to see the tire through the dust there.

more, hulk is better then the jeep, but he does need more light sourcing as well, to define his shape and size.
hulks hair is far too close to that tire behind him in color and tone.

lineart issue... those cast shadows on the ground from the jeep and hulk himself.. what was the artist thinking? they completely contradict the motion of the image. This is telling you the light source is strongly behind them, off panel. but seriously, they look exactly like the motion lines as shown on hulks arms... coloring in a shadow as well as doing holds on the ground lines would be a good idea to help mask those odd lines.

Andrew Cramer
05-31-2013, 10:16 AM
If I were you I would get some screenshots of Hulk from the recent movies and sample some of those nice greens.

calliopes
05-31-2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone.