PDA

View Full Version : World War Z

Jon Dahl
05-13-2013, 09:44 PM
I was disapointed by the trailer. It didn't look anything like the book. Here's what Max Brooks had to say about it.

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/styles/blog_post_media/public/MaxBrooks.jpg

World War Z novelist says the movie kept his title 'and that's it'

If you're a fan of the novel that Brad Pitt's zombie vehicle is based on, the author has some bad news for you.

During a recent interview at Mansfield University, World War Z author Max Brooks was asked about his novel's adaptation to the big screen, and said he expects the film will have the same title "and that's it." But Brooks doesn't sound too angry about all the changes the screenwriters may have heaped on his baby. As the son of legendary writer/director/comedian Mel Brooks and Oscar-winning actress Anne Bancroft, he knows how Hollywood works.

"I knew they were going to rewrite it," Brooks said. "I grew up in Hollywood. I knew it was going to go through a million changes."

We haven't seen World War Z yet, so we can't say for sure just how many changes will be made from Brooks' novel. We do know that the film has undergone rather extensive rewrites and reshoots on its way to a release next month, which could have brought it closer to or farther away from the source material. As far as we know, Brooks has only seen trailers for the flick, but he noted he was invited to read the script after shooting began, and said no.

"I said: Why would I read this? This is not the movie you're going to make," Brooks said. "You're going to do rewrites and reshoots. That's what happens when you make a giant movie.

"My attitude is if you haven't invited me in to contribute, then fine. Go make the movie you want to make and I'll see it when it comes out."

Brooks said his main concern as the release of the movie looms isn't how he'll feel about it, but how the book's fans will react when they find that some of their favorite moments have been drastically altered or simply removed. His advice: treat the book and the movie like two different things.

"I cannot guarantee that the movie will be the book that they love," Brooks said. "And I'm in no position to tell people to see this movie or not see it. If I'm asked I say: See the movie as a movie and judge it as a movie."

World War Z hits theaters June 21, so we'll all judge for ourselves then. What do you think? How different will the film wind up being?

CHWolf
05-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Just the title and that's it.

So no zombies, then? That's going to be awful. D:

Justice41
05-13-2013, 11:18 PM
The trailers for this flick look john Cusack, 2012 stupid. Just a buncha CGI nonsense.

CHWolf
05-13-2013, 11:55 PM
What's up with Max's head, btw?

Jon Dahl
05-14-2013, 01:42 AM
Just the title and that's it.

So no zombies, then? That's going to be awful. D:

I suppose that depends on the definition or description of "zombies". World War Z zombies are slow moving, clumsy, reanimated corpses that are/were infected with a virus that is commonly spread through bites. Much like The Walking Dead Zombies except not everyone is effected. If you die without being infected, you're just dead.

In the movie, I see a bunch of CGI Parkour dudes jumping around being ninjas. :laugh:

CHWolf
05-14-2013, 02:51 AM
"Much like the * zombies."

>_>

I feel like Hollywood (wrongly) thinks that slow zombies are boring and done - when really that applies to the rabid ones.

Buckyrig
05-14-2013, 10:45 AM
"Much like the * zombies."

>_>

I feel like Hollywood (wrongly) thinks that slow zombies are boring and done - when really that applies to the rabid ones.

Well, haven't zombies - and for that matter, vampires - in general been driven into the ground...and then some? It's the trend that just won't cycle out.

Duane Korslund
05-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Well, haven't zombies - and for that matter, vampires - in general been driven into the ground...and then some? It's the trend that just won't cycle out.

I think (hope) vampires are on their way out for a while....seems to be tapering a little...I'd be ok with keeping around soulless-killer-rip-out-your-throat vamps...but metrosexual vampires chasing teenage girls...no mas please!

Comix Obsession
05-14-2013, 12:51 PM
The son of Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft?! I had no idea. Wow, he's really made a success of himself on his own terms, I would have had no idea he came from celebrity parents, and awesome, awesome celebrity parents at that.

I wonder how disappointed he is. I mean, essentially this is a huge representation of his work, whether he likes it or not. Maybe he has no love for movies (though I doubt it, considering his father) but I'm really surprised he didn't want to be involved in the creative process. Still, maybe he got some wisdom from his father, maybe Max Brooks is bored of zombies himself and hoping this will be his 'Springtime for Hitler' so people stop demanding more from him.

Either way, this film looks 'meh'. I'd watch it on TV, I'd watch it for free or if somebody lent me the DVD, but I'm not really that interested. There are far too many great, good and just plain average zombie movies out there already - I only need to feel depressed by cinema every so often.

Duane Korslund
05-14-2013, 12:56 PM
If the movie was going to be an accurate representation of the book I'd definitely go see it, but if its hacked and chopped and rewritten to where it barely resembles the book...I'd have no interest in seeing the movie.
I'll wait till a few people have seen it and can render an accurate comparison before deciding.

Jon Dahl
05-14-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm going to put my money on you having no interest in seeing the movie.
:har:

Angel
05-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Holy shit! Do you mean the movie is not going to be like the book?! Is that even LEGAL? So unheard of...and even doubley worse that they are doing this to such an American classic.

CHWolf
05-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Just to show I'm not a purist, I'm willing to check this out - unless I see a preview that makes it look like complete ass.

People bought the book (and Survival Guide) because of the Zombies, not Max Brooks. He has the talent, the humor, etc., but people only saw that in the first place because "ZOMBIES!".

If it was the Wendigo Survival Guide we'd not have heard a peep more about it, even if the content was identical.

Daring to change the book that came after the books that came after the films that came after the films that came after the movie that was based on the legend.

Oh, my.

Soooo... that said, that's why I don't care if they change the film version. I only care if it sucks.

dx
05-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Daring to change the book that came after the books that came after the films that came after the films that came after the movie that was based on the legend.

Whaaaaaaaaaa......you lost me!

Justice41
05-15-2013, 11:34 PM
He said it's all derivative so what's a nother derivation or deviation..

Comix Obsession
05-16-2013, 01:46 AM
I have never read 'World War Z', so I don't care if this film fails or not. I do care that it doesn't follow the original material, however. Why? Because this has happened to things that I love, and it's a damn shame when someone takes someone else's creation and tampers with it to this degree. Honestly, I'm pretty sure everyone here cares about that just a little, especially those of you who have ever written, drawn, composed or otherwise created something that you love. Sure, Max Brooks is a hugely successful author so doesn't deserve the same rights as other creators... oh no, wait, he does. When you see this kind of thing on a smaller scale it's bad, but why is Hollywood allowed to get away with this s*** all the time? They wanted to make a zombie movie - make a zombie movie! Why do they have to basically take an idea someone more talented had and tear it up into a piece of crap? If they don't have the balls to follow the source material, why bother using it in the first place?

Like I say, to me, this just looks like 'another zombie movie', and that's a shame - because from what I can tell, the book has a lot of fans and could have been handled a lot better than this. Still, maybe Brooks is partly to blame for apparently not really giving a s***.

CHWolf
05-16-2013, 02:31 AM
It's kind of like the Iron Man franchise in that regard.

Comix Obsession
05-16-2013, 05:01 AM
It's kind of like the Iron Man franchise in that regard.

Not really. Iron Man is a character that has been written by hundreds of different writers in hundreds of different stories within a very defined Universe. You can basically do what you like with Iron Man and Tony Stark so long as you keep within the context of that Universe. So whilst the Iron Man films might not follow any one particular story line, they do stick to the familiar traits of the basic character and essentially, are part of the continuity of the Marvel stories.

World War Z has taken the title of the book, and judging by what fans are saying, has changed everything else. It's pretty different.

Justice41
05-16-2013, 02:40 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comix Obsession
05-16-2013, 11:10 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quick, engage Justice's level of cognitive function! Urm.... bullshit... uh... fanboys suck.... err... Superman costume doesn't look like Superman costume... fuck... stupid.... nerds!

*beep* *beep*

We have a pulse! Yay!

Oh... wait. :slap:

Jon Dahl
05-17-2013, 11:31 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2QEq-ud0NIc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jon Dahl
06-25-2013, 12:24 PM
My wife and I went to see this last night.

As a stand alone film not compared to the book, it wasn't bad. Not great, not anything I ever need to see again.

The "Zombies" were heavily changed. They run, they climb, and the biggest change:

They don't bite people that are already sick with something else.

Bishop
06-25-2013, 01:11 PM
My wife and I went to see this last night.

As a stand alone film not compared to the book, it wasn't bad. Not great, not anything I ever need to see again.

I haven't read the book, and I agree. I think I will read the book now, though.

Duane Korslund
06-25-2013, 01:20 PM
guess the threw enough money down at Max Brooks to make him ignore the butchering his book took.

dx
06-26-2013, 12:58 AM
guess the threw enough money down at Max Brooks to make him ignore the butchering his book took.

He didn't ignore it...he's actually doing the opposite of ignoring what they did by addressing it in the media. Once you sell off your idea to a studio, you have no control or input. Ask Alan Moore.

Take the original Borne books, Bourne Identity, Supremacy, etc. The only thing the movies have in common with the books is that the main character is Jason Bourne, he was a government spook and he has Amnesia. Everything else is completely different.

VeaVictus
06-26-2013, 03:02 AM
http://img2.zergnet.com/69733_300.jpg

Jon?:blink:

Jon Dahl
06-26-2013, 11:37 AM
I back tracked that image and found an interesting article behind it.

The Original Ending Of ‘World War Z’ Was MUCH Different…

I actually like the new ending for World War Z (read Brad’s review). And not many people seem to mind, it’s Brad Pitt’s biggest opening weekend ever. For me, the ending provides a welcome respite from all the explosions – and you finally see the zombies behave as zombies. It’s actually suspenseful.

But it’s always interesting to think what might have been and, in this case, what was actually shot. Over 45 minutes was discarded from the original cut in favor of the new ending and Movies.com has a really nice, in depth look at what the changes were.

A few bullet points below.

– Originally the plane didn’t crash. It landed in Russia and (after executing the old and sick onboard), the military drafts everyone onboard into military service.

– You may have missed Matthew Fox in the film, he’s barely in it as one of the crew of the helicopter that rescues Pitt and his family early in the film. But he didn't show up just to make a cameo, originally his part was much larger. In fact, when Mireille Enos and her daughters are sent off the ship and to the camp – she has to trade her body to survive. Matthew Fox is on the receiving end of this bargain.

– Cold slows down the zombies, making them easier to kill. Something Gerry learns from his months spent fighting them in Russia in the original 3rd act.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3240051/the-original-ending-of-world-war-z-was-much-different/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_69733

Lord Fejj
07-03-2013, 03:27 AM
I read the book and found it...boooooringgg...I'm not in a hurry to see this...but I will watch it eventually (can you say HBO?)...

Moonrider
07-04-2013, 08:15 AM
Just watched it. My honest opinion? I think it's borderline racist (ooh dumb Arabs with their singing brought doom to Jerusalem! The only brilliant Arab just shot himself and died a silly death!) and also downright stupid. Zombies that can tell that you're sick with terminal illness just by sniffing at you? I want my money back, Hollywood. And take your Damon Lindelof with you to hell.

Justice41
07-04-2013, 12:00 PM
to me if Brad Pitt is the star I don' expect a good movie. He can't carry a good movie. Watching all that CGI jump around and crap was just a very good clue that this flick would suck and suck hard.

The Dag
07-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Just watched it. My honest opinion? I think it's borderline racist (ooh dumb Arabs with their singing brought doom to Jerusalem! The only brilliant Arab just shot himself and died a silly death!) and also downright stupid. Zombies that can tell that you're sick with terminal illness just by sniffing at you? I want my money back, Hollywood. And take your Damon Lindelof with you to hell.

dogs can smell cancer.

Moonrider
07-04-2013, 07:44 PM
dogs can smell cancer.

That's interesting. However, does contracting a specific virus can multiply your olfactory senses by 10.000? Assuming this is not the T-virus type of zombies that turn you into grotesque mutated monsters with three limbs and sharp teeth. While not that long of a stretch it's still quite a stretch to me.

dx
07-04-2013, 10:15 PM
It was an entertaining popcorn flick. It fell on the same note of 2012 and War of the Worlds.

That said, I also didn't pay for it.

Justice41
07-21-2013, 03:55 PM
The fast moving zombies always throws these flicks into the realm of unwatchability. It's just too CGI.