PDA

View Full Version : Lettering style question

K-TANG
05-12-2013, 09:35 PM
times are changing: comic art is getting more awesome and artistic, and lettering is evolving...

then, why would some creators prefer the "old school" style of lettering?

... when is our place as a letterer to say the preferred style doesn't match the art or story? or is it our place?

Q

Scribbly
05-13-2013, 05:16 AM
As long it is legible for reading and matching the artwork style, you can do any lettering style you want.
IF you want an pre-made old school style lettering for your comics, you choose it,
you pay for these digital fonts and you work with it.

If you want something different and personal, you can make all by your
own working your own style.
Nothing is stopping you for doing that.

If you are doing WFH, and your client want a particular old school style,
or any other style for his/her comics, you work with that chosen style.

My guess.

JimCampbell
05-13-2013, 07:22 AM
... when is our place as a letterer to say the preferred style doesn't match the art or story? or is it our place?

I'm not remotely clear on what you mean by the "evolving" style and the "old school" style are you just talking about hand-lettering vs digital? Any chance of some examples?

comic art is getting more awesome and artistic

Really? I'm finding that ever more slavish reliance on photo-refs, Poser and Sketch-Up is making a lot of comic art lifeless and samey.

Cheers

Jim

K-TANG
05-13-2013, 11:49 PM
I'm not remotely clear on what you mean by the "evolving" style and the "old school" style are you just talking about hand-lettering vs digital? Any chance of some examples?

I am referring to the style of lettering from 1950-1980-ish especially the balloons and FX... i've never been a fan of that style, it makes the art flat. I digital letter and prefer to make the images with depth, etc. i'm very much influenced by Rus Wooton and manga

Really? I'm finding that ever more slavish reliance on photo-refs, Poser and Sketch-Up is making a lot of comic art lifeless and samey.

to be clear, i don't prefer the over photo-ref, and extremely should not be comic styles comics either... some of the ones i absolutely love is Menton, Templesmith, Fiona, moore/adlard etc... and love the guy that did Okko, hubb... or cute ones like Burnini from Germany... so many... and of course style must match the art right? and traditional lettering style almost have no place in art styles such as the ones I've mentioned above... so exactly where/how does traditional lettering style belong in current comic world.

Cheers

Jim

thanks Jim

JimCampbell
05-14-2013, 04:05 AM
thanks Jim

I disagree with almost everything you've said, to be honest, especially treating SFX as 3D objects — they're not 3D objects that exist within the scene and adding bevels, drop shadows and the like calls attention to them in a way that is counter-intuitive to the reader. If you're talking about replicating the clever, witty way artists like Frank Quitely integrate SFX into their art, well, that's a different matter.

I also note that Gaspar Saladino hand-lettered Arkham Asylum and that turned out OK. (I also hated the lettering on Menton's Monocyte series.)

At the end of the day, if the work you're doing makes your writer/ artist/ editor happy, then that's really all that matters. If you disagree with them about what will look best on a book, all you can do is make your case -- if they don't agree then you can take the cheque and do what they want, or you can walk.

Cheers

Jim

lordmagnusen
05-14-2013, 11:08 AM
I disagree with almost everything you've said, to be honest, especially treating SFX as 3D objects they're not 3D objects that exist within the scene and adding bevels, drop shadows and the like calls attention to them in a way that is counter-intuitive to the reader.

Yes. This. A thousand times this.