PDA

View Full Version : The Following

cheeseisgood1918
04-30-2013, 12:19 AM
Is anybody else watching this show? If so, would you like to talk about how extraordinarily bad it is? I've watched every episode for some reason hoping it will somehow get better, only to drift deeper and deeper into pants-shittingly awful. Yet it has Kevin Bacon and James Purfoy so I really TRY to like it. But the writers don't make it easy.

CHWolf
04-30-2013, 01:03 AM
Smart, sadistic, charismatic serial killer "helps" authorities, has cult-like following, stays one step ahead of everyone, etc.

Basically, they heard a Hannibal series was being put together and tried beating them to the punch. Kevin Bacon is probably in it just because he needs the work after Madoff swindled him along with the others.

Edit: By the way, Hannibal is fucking awful, too. It's laughable.

"He kills people named Oscar because that was his baloney's first name. We think the baloney had a second name as well, we're looking into it."

Ridiculous.

Jon Dahl
04-30-2013, 01:13 AM
I tried to watch it. The writing was formulaic and cliche'. I prefer "The Cleveland Show".

Angel
04-30-2013, 01:30 AM
There are a lot of shitty series going on add Bates Hotel to that...I have seen better acting from the Muppets and it was like some panty huffing masturbation addicted teen wrote the plot.

Hannibal was a complete let down, just that there was no build up in Hannibals character he is instantly aggressive with no real subtlety...after hanging out with him for one day anyone would surmise he has people in his ice box. He has the tact of Frank TJ Mackey.

The Following....wow. Where to start. They knew Joe was communicating with cult members and they cannot discern who is and who is not a cult member...they know he is manipulating them to kill people...they know he is plotting to kill more people...they have him in custody...yet they don't execute him under a moral imperitive? Story over.

Justice41
04-30-2013, 01:47 AM
Ha,they should make a show where the main bad guy is so built up in the advertising and promotions then have the guy chasing him walk up and blow his brains out in the first ep. The show then is about that guy. Think they tried this formula with and old lawyer show called Murder or something. Starred a fat Bald guy as the main Lawyer or DA.

cheeseisgood1918
04-30-2013, 08:38 AM
I almost stopped watching in the episode where the killer is sending cult members to kidnap his wife, who is in protective FBI custody. Not in a safe house mind you, just some shitty little hotel they set up some cameras in. Anyway, they know he's going to try to come after her at some point, so what do they do? They have like 3 guys with handguns there guarding her. Of course the bad guys all roll in like SWAT with bulletproof vests and smg's. The FBI for some reason isn't wearing bulletproof vests and apparently haven't been trained to fire their handguns because they get completely demolished by the killers.

It's one of those shows where I can only suspend my disbelief so much. I mean, in a world where the FBI is this completely inept at their job, why bother with being a cult of serial killers at all? Just go for it man, overthrow the country. United States of Joe Carroll. Why not? They basically had the country held hostage anyway.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
04-30-2013, 10:12 AM
I haven't watched it, and won't seeing as you don't seem to think it is worth it... Have you watched any of Orphan Black? Am I the only person on the boards to have watched it?

Bishop
04-30-2013, 02:42 PM
I like it. The characters do some really dumb stuff, but I have found it enjoyable. It's no Sherlock, but what is?

cheeseisgood1918
04-30-2013, 08:38 PM
I haven't watched it, and won't seeing as you don't seem to think it is worth it... Have you watched any of Orphan Black? Am I the only person on the boards to have watched it?
I have never heard of it, but I just looked it up and it sounds pretty interesting.
I like it. The characters do some really dumb stuff, but I have found it enjoyable. It's no Sherlock, but what is?
Okay but it's also really poorly written. The good guys act like the cult of crazies is really smart and one step ahead of them and has this really intricate and clever master plan, but when they execute part of the plan it just amounts to, "throw a bunch of cannon fodder characters at the good guys and kidnap people while they sort out the bodies". And literally the only reason it works is because everyone working for the FBI and law enforcement in the show (that isn't conveniently part of the cult) has the intelligence of a dog without a head.

Moonrider
04-30-2013, 10:23 PM
I read the description of the show, and it does sound stupid. For one, how does a college professor who is known to kill his female students can possibly gain any devoted female followers?

CHWolf
04-30-2013, 10:40 PM
"No means yes."

Snore.

Bishop
04-30-2013, 10:57 PM
I have never heard of it, but I just looked it up and it sounds pretty interesting.

Okay but it's also really poorly written. The good guys act like the cult of crazies is really smart and one step ahead of them and has this really intricate and clever master plan, but when they execute part of the plan it just amounts to, "throw a bunch of cannon fodder characters at the good guys and kidnap people while they sort out the bodies". And literally the only reason it works is because everyone working for the FBI and law enforcement in the show (that isn't conveniently part of the cult) has the intelligence of a dog without a head.

Meh. It's not that bad compared to most other broadcast network dramas. It's entertainment, and some of Kevin Bacon's best work in recent memory.

cheeseisgood1918
05-01-2013, 03:17 AM
Meh. It's not that bad compared to most other broadcast network dramas. It's entertainment, and some of Kevin Bacon's best work in recent memory.

I don't know. I've compared it to a lot and it's still insulting bad.

Bishop
05-01-2013, 09:11 AM
I don't know. I've compared it to a lot and it's still insulting bad.

I'm just thinking it is better than the likes of 24 and CSI or NCIS. It's not great, but it is entertaining and a good diversion. I won't defend it as high art or "great", but I happen to enjoy it. IMO, Breaking Bad is the best drama ever put on television, and The Following is nowhere near that.

cheeseisgood1918
05-01-2013, 12:28 PM
I'm just thinking it is better than the likes of 24 and CSI or NCIS. It's not great, but it is entertaining and a good diversion. I won't defend it as high art or "great", but I happen to enjoy it. IMO, Breaking Bad is the best drama ever put on television, and The Following is nowhere near that.

I agree with pretty much all of that. I would maybe even go as far as to say Breaking Bad may be the best drama ever put on television. I realize people will come back at me with The Wire or whatever. But I think BB is consistently the best for me at least. Let's just talk about that instead. The Following angers me...