PDA

View Full Version : [For those who have seen it] Iron Man Threeeeeeeeeeeeee

Moonrider
04-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Seen it. Loved it. Didn't end the way I thought it would but it's definitely waaay better than Iron Man 2, which was really kind of stupid plot-wise. In fact, this is what Iron Man 2 really should have been.

Evan Henry
04-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Wait, how have you seen it? Are they letting you foreigners get our movies early again? :p

CHWolf
04-25-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm wondering how

all the people in mid-air with IM

worked out on the big screen... because it looked incredibly weird when they were filming it.

Edit: Just read the plot on Wikipedia. Yikes. Yet another solid "pass" for me.

Moonrider
04-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Wait, how have you seen it? Are they letting you foreigners get our movies early again? :p

Yes. Suck it, Americans. :nyah:

I'm wondering how

worked out on the big screen... because it looked incredibly weird when they were filming it.

Edit: Just read the plot on Wikipedia. Yikes. Yet another solid "pass" for me.

A JoBlo article spoiled me the plot twist before I went to see it, yet it's still worth to watch because Ben Kingsley's delivery was awesome. The rescuing people in midair thing... Could have done without it. Why did you put it on a spoiler tag? It was in the trailer.

CHWolf
04-25-2013, 08:03 PM
Because I haven't seen more than one trailer. I figured I'd err on the side of caution.

I saw Paltrow in the suit and face-palmed. Then I read the plot and my palm went clear through my head and high-fived my brains against the wall.

What made IM1 work, IMHO, was the feeling that beyond technological advances, you could watch and feel a legit real-world sense of danger/motivation. You know Tony's going to be fine, but when you see him take off into space for the first time and freeze up, you're like... "Oh, fuck."

The further they got away from that with IM2 and so on, the less I was insterested.

Moonrider
04-25-2013, 08:24 PM
Actually there's a lot of that in IM3 as well, because this is the first time you get to see Tony Stark deal with things without his armor against a much stronger opponent.

Pepper Potts wore an armor in the comics, calling herself 'Rescue'. And you facepalmed to Gwyneth Paltrow wearing the suit for, like, less than a minute.

CHWolf
04-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Everything ever has happened in the comics. I don't think it all makes for good movies, etc.

The fact that we've seen a MEGATON of Iron Man suit clones doesn't help. Would it be good for the Spider-Films to feature no less than three Spider-Powered characters every film? etc. (Keeping in mind there are a lot of them in the comics.)

Justice41
04-25-2013, 10:34 PM
Because I haven't seen more than one trailer. I figured I'd err on the side of caution.

I saw Paltrow in the suit and face-palmed. Then I read the plot and my palm went clear through my head and high-fived my brains against the wall.

What made IM1 work, IMHO, was the feeling that beyond technological advances, you could watch and feel a legit real-world sense of danger/motivation. You know Tony's going to be fine, but when you see him take off into space for the first time and freeze up, you're like... "Oh, fuck."

The further they got away from that with IM2 and so on, the less I was insterested.
Totally agree with this.

Moonrider
04-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Everything ever has happened in the comics. I don't think it all makes for good movies, etc.

Ironically and no pun intended, The Mandarin with his magical rings is one such concept.

Looking back from the first Iron Man movie to Avengers to IM3, what appeal to me in those movies is actually the exact opposite of what you were interested in. I like how the story gradually evolve from 'real world' dangers to outlandish, fantasy threats of aliens and such, and then go back to a pretty much more grounded classic story of science meets evil without having to regress to the state before there was a Thor movie or Captain America or The Avengers.

CHWolf
04-25-2013, 11:34 PM
Since Roy agrees with me, I'm going to do some soul-searching.

Justice41
04-29-2013, 12:30 AM
Pfft, I said this when the first flick came out. Anyone notice how weird the Armors walks now? In IM 1 the walk was closer to a real person walking, with weight and a little sway to the body. IM2 had that old T2 walk. Now I've seen in IM3 the suit walks like its a marionette puppet with no weight to it whatsoever. Could be wrong just saw a clip and it looked like the suit was floating.

CHWolf
04-29-2013, 01:55 AM
Short-sighted to burn through IM villains, as well. How many real recognizable and unique bad guys does he even have? Originally, I didn't even consider the fact they killed Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo at once.

Moonrider
04-29-2013, 06:28 AM
Now I've seen in IM3 the suit walks like its a marionette puppet with no weight to it whatsoever. Could be wrong just saw a clip and it looked like the suit was floating.

There's a reason for that, and one that I can't say without spoiling some element of the story.

Seriously, has no one else seen the movie yet?

Gav Heryng
04-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Saw it yesterday and really liked it.

Up there with the first one for me. There's some goofy under-developed parts of the plot and story that didn't quite gel for me, but there's no denying that Shane Black And Robert Downey Jr make a great team.
I loved the twist with The Mandarin and the banter between Stark and the kid.

Thumbs up from me! :thumbs:

Gav

Comix Obsession
05-01-2013, 09:09 AM
I'm wondering how

You saw this being filmed? That's cool, how did they film it? I think it worked out really well in the film, it was a good example of his quick thinking, in my opinion.

As for the other comments, it's really hard to judge this film based on the trailers, the 'suit walk' being one such example.

Just saw it today and it really took me by surprise. Started out feeling like it was gonna be OK, ended up thoroughly enjoying it. Knew I recognised Shane Black's name, got home and found out he directed/wrote 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' and it all made so much sense. The humour in this film really shines, and this is a movie obviously all about fun. This really is a 'comic book' movie, suspend all disbelief and just sit down and enjoy it.

Like a lot of other people I was disappointed with Iron Man 2. It just seemed to lack focus, but this really brings the focus back onto Stark. And it's handled so well, that even the scenes with the kid (this would normally spell disaster but works so well) are full of charm. It's all very well done, and I thoroughly recommend seeing it before talking about it - it's very hard to judge from the trailer.

Also, 'The Mandarin'. Hated the character at first, ended up being redeemed, in an oh so awesome way. :w00t:

CHWolf
05-01-2013, 10:29 PM
You saw this being filmed? That's cool, how did they film it?

Everyone was on wires over a river.

I guess so they wouldn't die if they fell.

Not right away, that is.

:)

Justice41
05-02-2013, 01:46 AM
Yeah saw the pics of all the wired up people. Shane Black is a wanna be Michael Bay and Tony Scott(RIP). His flicks are usually incoherent messes. But he did create Lethal Weapon so he's got that at least. Friend of mine works at Telemundo in Miami and Bay and some of the actors were there doing that thing for the Pain and Gain flick and My bud thinks Bay is a coke head.
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s480x480/524056_413686672006519_523534602_n.jpg
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/wiredscience/2012/09/ironman_3.jpg
http://www.shockya.com/news/wp-content/uploads/iron-man-3-action-stunt1.jpg

Moonrider
05-02-2013, 08:33 AM
That looks like a hell of fun. Bonus points if you can get to see the girl's underpants.

Bishop
05-02-2013, 09:09 AM
Interesting. I didn't know Black wrote Lethal Weapon. Of course, I see he is also responsible for a bunch of crap scripts as well (Last Action Hero, Long Kiss Goodnight, Last Boyscout, etc.)

Justice41
05-02-2013, 12:36 PM
And he starred in The original Predator flick. He was the geek in glasses.

Comix Obsession
05-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Interesting. I didn't know Black wrote Lethal Weapon. Of course, I see he is also responsible for a bunch of crap scripts as well (Last Action Hero, Long Kiss Goodnight, Last Boyscout, etc.)

He's also responsible for Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Iron Man Three, both of which were awesome, and, incidentally, his latest work.

And the Michael Bay/Tony Scott comparison? Justice, do you even watch movies at all?!

Gav Heryng
05-03-2013, 01:23 PM
You take that back about The Last Boyscout!!

Bishop
05-03-2013, 01:40 PM
You take that back about The Last Boyscout!!

:nyah:

kamikaze
05-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Saw it today. Liked it overall especially the Mandarin. Didnt expect him to be the way he was. Tony's armor gave me a nice twist but that Maya chick..wasted character. Would have liked to seen more of what the armors can do, though

dx
05-04-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm still digesting it. I left not really knowing what to think of it.

I actually did not like their take on the Mandarin, and it really didn't go the route suggested in the 1st film.

CHWolf
05-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Makes you wonder how we're supposed to reconcile the actions and goals of the "Ten Rings" in IM1.

Justice41
05-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Terrible flick.

dx
05-05-2013, 12:26 AM
Terrible flick.

I want to disagree with you...but I have no solid argument. Once you get past the visuals....yeah....the movie is not so good.

Bishop
05-05-2013, 01:08 AM
It was fun, good time, action flick. If you check your fanboy/source-canon baggage at the door you'll have a blast with this movie.

CHWolf
05-05-2013, 01:11 AM
It's not just fanboyism. Folks who have never read a comic in their life have commented to me that it "looks stupid".

Now I'm not saying one way or the other has to be the ultimate unquestioned PoV, just that it's not about fanboy/source stuff.

After all, IM1 was off-source.

Bishop
05-05-2013, 01:33 AM
It's not just fanboyism. Folks who have never read a comic in their life have commented to me that it "looks stupid".

Now I'm not saying one way or the other has to be the ultimate unquestioned PoV, just that it's not about fanboy/source stuff.

After all, IM1 was off-source.

Sounds like you are referring to people that haven't seen the movie, though. Either way, inevitably opinions will differ. My opinion is that it's a fun movie that fits well into the Marvel movie universe.

ponyrl
05-05-2013, 01:43 AM
Saw it.

Jon Favreau would have done a better movie.

My favorite armor was in it though. The Paladin armor was there and worn by Stark.

Mandarin was explained so no issue there anymore.

Funny how they treated Jon in this movie.

CHWolf
05-05-2013, 01:52 AM
You only need knowledge of the trailers and plot to see the problems. (Just like a lot of us can form an opinion on Twilight without watching every film in the franchise.)

How many times have we seen a villain addressing others via video/link, with someone under threat while everyone can only watch?

(Like in Dark Knight)

How many times have we seen... HEAVY spoiler...

A villain who's actually just a ruse...

(Like in Batman Begins)

How many times have we seen "The HQ" get destroyed?

(Like in... jeeze, do I have to say it?)

The list just goes on and on. I mean, really... a young boy helping the hero out?

Jesus, it's like overused cliché central all up in this piece.

Bishop
05-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Those are fair points. I still liked it, though. :nyah:

Justice41
05-05-2013, 11:31 AM
At least they completed the circle with the Doctor who saved Stark's life with the Flashback. You know I think I saw Mickey Rourke in the Bar scene when Stark walks outside to his Suit. What a stupid story. breaks down to a jilted nerd gimps revenge.

Moonrider
05-05-2013, 01:25 PM

Folks who have never read a comic in their life will always comment that any superhero movies look stupid.

Saw it.

Jon Favreau would have done a better movie.

I wished that he made a better Iron Man 2.

dx
05-05-2013, 01:44 PM
It was fun, good time, action flick. If you check your fanboy/source-canon baggage at the door you'll have a blast with this movie.

You can't fall back on that bullshit response to criticism.

For one, I doubt many people who know the source wanted A.I.M. scientists in Giant yellow suits with long vertical head pieces and other ridiculousness portrayed in the paper medium.

spoiler

The plot is thin and largely revolves around the bitterness of someone being ditched on a roof by someone he talked to for 3 minutes. You waste the Mandarin as a villain and as many people pointed out, Iron Man has a terrible gallery of villains. You also throw away the 10 rings aspect introduced in IM 1. If, as a new screenwriter/directer, you don't want to use material hinted at in the previous films, don't touch it. A big chunk of this film is based on a gag/gimmick and turned into a cliche film at the end.

I enjoyed it visually, the small town scenes minus the fights were good, and I really liked the aspect of Tony Stark being more of a detective than Batman has ever been in any of his films. This was a great visual movie with FX, but overall...ehh.

The Dag
05-05-2013, 06:20 PM
i liked it.

Justice41
05-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Having just seen IM1 on tv today and having watched the pogo stick like walking of the IM in IM3 gotta say what a letdown. Plus the whole single pieces of armor flying from hundreds or thousands of miles away and reaching Stark in minutes was just the last nail. What? Are each piece of armor powered b a mini reactor? Please so stupid and the whole extremis crap. IM3 is like all number 3's, Too much crap thrown at the viewer to cover for the piece of shit story.

Bishop
05-05-2013, 08:04 PM
You can't fall back on that bullshit response to criticism.

Well, the criticism was leveled at the movie, not me. I just gave my opinion of the movie. The beauty of opinions is that mine can be different from yours, and its okay.

The Dag
05-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Having just seen IM1 on tv today and having watched the pogo stick like walking of the IM in IM3 gotta say what a letdown. Plus the whole single pieces of armor flying from hundreds or thousands of miles away and reaching Stark in minutes was just the last nail. What? Are each piece of armor powered b a mini reactor? Please so stupid and the whole extremis crap. IM3 is like all number 3's, Too much crap thrown at the viewer to cover for the piece of shit story.

it was a movie about a man in a super powered suit. that same man just fought aliens who came out of a wormhole with a bunch of other super powered people. and your bitching pieces of armor flying?

Justice41
05-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Yup. Gotta problem take it up with you mamma. Even Thor's hammer didn't move that fast in Avengers. But attaway for Marvel to steal the idea from The X-O armor.

dx
05-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Well, the criticism was leveled at the movie, not me. I just gave my opinion of the movie. The beauty of opinions is that mine can be different from yours, and its okay.

You used the "Fanboy" term just to gloss over everything...that's not an opinion, it's not an argument, it's just throwing around a single term.

Hell the "Chewbacca" Defense on South Park makes more sense than simply using the term "Fanboy" to make your case!

Angel
05-05-2013, 10:02 PM
I wasn't digging it. Extremis was pretty boring. The "most beautiful" woman playing hero was obnoxious. The Mandarin was a waste. I got a bit tired of the alpha class douche-baggery of Tony, in many parts he was just a van dyke beard and suit of armor away from going completely "Rain Man".

The things I did like:
The Extremis chick in Tennessee
Tony versus the mansion thugs
The groovy closing credits
Happy watching Downton Abbey
Rhodes kicking ass old school and "warmachinerox"

CHWolf
05-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Does Mandarin have a Southern accent or did it just come across that way in all the clips of him talking?

Justice41
05-05-2013, 10:41 PM
They used voice dubbing for Mandarin's fake speeches. Horrible movie. because they wanted to use the suit that falls apart they had to contrive some seriously stupid stuff to keep it in the flick. Stark could have easily gotten one of the other armors up and running at almost anytime to use. If he could call in all the armors by remote at the end he could have called them in anytime before. Just really bad writing. Anyone explain why Happy doesn't have at least a suitcase armor of his own? He is head of security right? Really stupid movie. But you know low info folks will eat it up. Me i hope it makes a billion or 2 so Marvel can keep making flicks I may enjoy down the line.

CHWolf
05-05-2013, 11:57 PM
If it's dubbing, why does he talk that way in side-shots, etc.?

Anywho, they changed Mandarin so as not to offend the Chinese and get the film banned. Why not make Mandarin trying to take over China by force as part of his plot? His defeat would've had audiences in both countries cheering, then. Plus we could've had a reimagined Crimson Dynamo. I mean, he's red after all.

Justice41
05-06-2013, 02:03 AM
Outside of the tapes he has a typical British accent and speech pattern. Either Kingsley did the voice or it was dubbed. To me it sounds dubbed. It almost sounds like that Ex Senator form Tenn. Fred Thompson.

CHWolf
05-06-2013, 03:31 AM
That's so odd... I could've sworn a clip of the film showed him from the side, still talking like that. Huh.

Well, once it hits Netflix and I don't have anything else on there I guess I'll figure it out.

Justice41
05-06-2013, 12:35 PM
All the Mandarin stuff is just acted out stuff, even if people really do get killed in the context of the movie that is, but once Stark finds Kingsley they find a lecherous wacko doped up and frolicking with a few bimbo's. Complete copout on the studios part. Plus the Veep was in on the entire scheme. Typical. It's a little Murder at 1600 and a bit of Spiderman 3 and a bit of transformers 2-3 with both Bad Boys thrown in. My friend was there when they did the Miami bar shoot. he sent me a pic of the two Armors outside of the bar next to a line of motorcycles and just that gave me the impression of hokeyness. They Cut the Iron Patriot part of that though and just had Cheadle without suit.

Bishop
05-06-2013, 01:18 PM
You used the "Fanboy" term just to gloss over everything...that's not an opinion, it's not an argument, it's just throwing around a single term.

Hell the "Chewbacca" Defense on South Park makes more sense than simply using the term "Fanboy" to make your case!

I'm sorry. I didn't realize the term 'fanboy' was so offensive. If I've hurt your feelings, I truly apologize.

Comix Obsession
05-06-2013, 03:36 PM
But you know low info folks will eat it up. Me i hope it makes a billion or 2 so Marvel can keep making flicks I may enjoy down the line.

Marvel movies aren't made for the hardcore fans. If you're a hardcore fan and still keep paying to see these movies then you are falling into the same trap every time. People like you are making them more money than they know what to do with, and from the sounds of it, not getting much pleasure in the process. 'Low info folks' are the ones going to see the movie they are expecting to see and having a damn good time doing so. I know which one I'd rather be.

I liked it. It wasn't perfect, the technology leapt too far into the future for me, but once I let that go I was able to enjoy it for what it was - a 'comic book movie'. When these movies turn out to be awesome I love them, and it restores my faith that there are talents out there that transcend the 'it's just a comic book movie!' opinion. BUT, when the movies turn out to be silly but fun, I remember that 'it's just a comic book movie!' and that's OK. Would I like every comic book movie to be a masterpiece? Sure, but it won't be, will it? No, it won't. And when comic book movies do turn out to be masterpieces, they are so often tarnished by their own success. Look at 'The Dark Knight Rises'.

So yeah, Iron Man Three has its flaws. It's not perfect, but it's damn good fun. And when you're complaining that it doesn't follow the comics or it ruins something from the comics then you aren't ever going to really enjoy any of these movies, in my opinion. And the ten rings thing, that only 3 people noticed and nobody else knows about? That's for you hardcore fans, to keep sucking you back in. Maybe there were grand plans for something to come of it, but honestly, I think it's more than likely it was just a nod to keep the hardcore comic fans coming back in the hope that, 'Well, this one was OK, but look at the reference, something more is coming next time!'

In short, I liked it.

CHWolf - you should see it. It's worth it. If you haven't seen this or Iron Man 2, you really should, just so you have the chance to form your own opinion.

Justice41
05-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Did I mention any comics? Nope don't compare the two except for use of similar storylines. I don't know zip about extremis or any of the Mandarin crap except from way back in the 70's comics. The Batman reboots were just boring drek, too melodramatic and too serious about itself. Comes a point where they make the movies too earnest it becomes dull. IM 3 was just a cobbled together mess to justify the CGI. Lets face it the whole PTSD thing was contrived. Stark didn't have PTSD, he was worried that he's now too involved with the chick and it's causing him to doubt himself. He was more confident when he was a womanizing single. Smacks of the last Batman shit flick. May as well have had Stark walking around with a cane like they did Bats.
The whole it's a comic book flick excuse is tired. That is never a good excuse to use to defend a bad flick. Seriously, he had the old Avengers armor parked out front of a Bar on South Beach like it was his ride. I still come back to the fact that he at anytime could have called on the stack of armors he had hidden and use them remotely but never did it. Stupid, Formulaic, piece of shit movie. At least this is the last of the Downey IM flicks. Time for a reboot.

dx
05-06-2013, 07:34 PM
I'm sorry. I didn't realize the term 'fanboy' was so offensive. If I've hurt your feelings, I truly apologize.

Dude I could give a shit about the term.

Try making a constructive argument with a semblance of intelligence instead of glossing over people points/criticisms.

Instead of stating my case, I could simply respond to you as being Moron and therefore not justifying a reasonable excuse for disagreeing with you, because lets face it...what's the point in arguing with a moron?

CHWolf
05-06-2013, 08:50 PM
I saw IM2, that's why I couldn't care less about IM3. It's sounding and looking like the exact same thing - Sight gags and "cool" tricks related to the armor and lots of exploding/fighting with no regard for leaving the audience with anything solid to take away from it.

IM1 was all about how to show Tony, Iron Man, Pepper, Jarvis, the origin, etc. in a more "real world" setting. (Succeed or fail.) As a result we got some real MEAT as to motivations, interactions, etc.

IM2 was as much as saying "Here's another one, I guess. Watch Avengers!"

IM3 looks like a bunch of Execs sitting around in a fart-filled meeting room, brainstorming "funny" things to do. "You know how hilarious it is to watch a woman trying to put on a tight pair of jeans? What if Tony does that with the armor? He could suck in his stomach, roll back on the bed, then finally check out his ass in the mirror! Write this stuff down, it's gold..."

Meh.

We know for a fact that Mandarin was changed because of China and the Chinese Gov's love of banning films. That dismisses any and all thought that the character was purposefully changed because it was a great idea or the folks involved wanted to play with the fan boys. It's not even a race thing, because we got a pretty typical Russian stereotype in IM2 and no one batted an eye. Before that, cave-dwelling terrorists who aren't worldly enough to tell body armor from a missile.

It's because of revenue. We know it.

The bigger issue, however, is that the rest of this shit is only about revenue, as well. I mean, explosions are a plot point.

Bishop
05-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Dude I could give a shit about the term.

Try making a constructive argument with a semblance of intelligence instead of glossing over people points/criticisms.

Instead of stating my case, I could simply respond to you as being Moron and therefore not justifying a reasonable excuse for disagreeing with you, because lets face it...what's the point in arguing with a moron?

I don't really need to make an argument. I liked it. That's that. I don't need to justify to you why i liked it. If you didn't like it, then I'm sorry you wasted your money on a movie you didn't like.

You can think of me as a moron if you'd like. I don't care. I think you are getting a little too wound up about my post. I stated an opinion, you jumped on me about it, and then I pushed your button. I look forward to repeating this conversation after Man of Steel.

CHWolf
05-06-2013, 09:55 PM
I almost feel like it'd be cool for DW to have "Like" and "Dislike" threads about these things.

The IM3 Like Thread, etc.

Post not fitting the theme, deleted.

We'd cut down on the arguements that go nowhere, at least.

As a sidenote... Rotten Tomatoes:

IM1 - 93%
IM2 - 73%
IM3 - 77% and dropping, plus it's just opened to all the glitz and anticipation.

Justice41
05-06-2013, 10:00 PM
If MOS sucks and the fanboys run in with the," what do you expect from a comic book movie", excuse we'll know it's just them trying to get ya'lls goat, so don't fall for it.
Though MOS looks to be a combination of Donners original intent for his flicks. Even down to Zod swatting aside a missile fired from a helicopter in a small one horse town. I wonder if he'll have Foara blow it a kiss too? If that happens I'll write off any more DC comics flicks for good. It'll just prove that they don't have a clue over at WB.

Justice41
05-06-2013, 10:06 PM
I almost feel like it'd be cool for DW to have "Like" and "Dislike" threads about these things.

The IM3 Like Thread, etc.

Post not fitting the theme, deleted.

We'd cut down on the arguements that go nowhere, at least.

As a sidenote... Rotten Tomatoes:

IM1 - 93%
IM2 - 73%
IM3 - 77% and dropping, plus it's just opened to all the glitz and anticipation.

I'm telling you the whole pieces of armor flying from tennessee to Miami in less than a few minutes along with the revelation that that entire time Stark could have called in the army of Armors is what's going to sink this flick. The more people will think on that the more ridiculous the movie will seem. Plus the whole Mandarin charade was just a huge F you. Also the whole Airforce one being blown up with all the dead white house staff on board and no one really caring was kinda F'ed up. Hell Avengers took the time to mourn Coulson.

CHWolf
05-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Also the whole Airforce one being blown up with all the dead white house staff on board and no one really caring was kinda F'ed up. Hell Avengers took the time to mourn Coulson.

Reminds me of Idependence Day, when audiences cheered because the First Lady was onboard... and she represented Hillary Clinton.

I wonder now if that'll get the same applause in certain areas.

When I saw "As Good as it Gets" here, everyone on the theatre was laughing and applauding the racist jokes that were supposed to depict Nicholson's maladjusted personality. (BTW, aware of the coincidence in this convo.)

Justice41
05-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Naw because the Prez is white in this. He looks more Bush than Clinton or Obamer. Hell the Prez was squeezing of rounds at the bad guys. That aint Clinton or Obamer. But lets face facts, the whole hackneyed plot about the crip with the bad teeth and hair being jilted by Stark and then coming back to do a bully beat down on Stark schtick is way too overused to miss. Can't believe IM went from having a very realistic, armored man who walked and occupied real space and volume to this cgi marionette that walks like someone is sliding him around. Sad. Wonder if that was WETA?

Bishop
05-06-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm telling you the whole pieces of armor flying from tennessee to Miami in less than a few minutes...

I wash was looking for this when I saw it after your post. In the movie it is daylight when he calls them in and night time when they arrive. I think it was more than a few minutes as far as the story went. Now, the bit about not calling in another suit sooner does seem sketchy. I can't remember whether Jarvis was offline and wouldn't have been able to or something to that effect, though.

Justice41
05-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Well when Stark starts getting the pieces they skip to the kid opening the garage door and the rest of the suit flying off and then a few minutes later after Downey is doing the one legged one armed flying bit the rest of the suit starts to arrive. Also Tenn. is in the central time zone whilst Miami is eastern so one hour dif. So it could be slightly darker in Miami and lighter in Tenn., but they were just inside Viscaya in Miami and it was daylight, so yeah not really believable even for an IM flick. Plus is each piece powered by mini arc reactors now? Stupid. Even at supersonic it still takes an hour or so to travel the 700-900 miles from Tenn.
What's also funny is when Stark takes off from the Miami Bar his repulsors don't blow anyone back, not even Cheadle but in IM 1 they cause all kindsa ruckus. Think about it, when he uses the repulsors to knock the bad guys around that's a low powered shot, takes more power to lift off and fly so where was the jetwash? Just lazy on details too focused on coolness.

Paul Sanderson
05-07-2013, 01:19 AM
Not the greatest. Better than 2 but not a patch on the original and they totally stuffed up the Mandarin.

Comix Obsession
05-07-2013, 02:31 AM
If MOS sucks and the fanboys run in with the," what do you expect from a comic book movie", excuse we'll know it's just them trying to get ya'lls goat, so don't fall for it.
Though MOS looks to be a combination of Donners original intent for his flicks. Even down to Zod swatting aside a missile fired from a helicopter in a small one horse town. I wonder if he'll have Foara blow it a kiss too? If that happens I'll write off any more DC comics flicks for good. It'll just prove that they don't have a clue over at WB.

Fanboys don't say, 'What do you expect from a comic book movie?' That's not a fanboy, that's someone who doesn't love comic books and doesn't really care if the films are silly. Fanboys are people who sit on an Internet forum arguing about why the film works or doesn't work. All the fanboys are in here - YOU are one of the biggest fanboys this site has ever seen. Just embrace it!

As for why Iron Man Three didn't work - well, like others have said, it was a huge change from the first movie. The second one tried to keep it serious but ended up getting bogged down by bad characters and an uninteresting villain. It also ramped up the technology too fast in my opinion. Whilst the tech in IM1 was/is vastly futuristic - it was believable because of the way it was handled, and because of the scale of the movie. IM2 just ramped up the tech to the point of over-exposure, it became boring. What IM3 did this time is say 'screw it' and go all out. They made a fun movie - they knew what the audience wanted and decided that if IM2 didn't quite work with the seriousness and the ridiculous amounts of technology - perhaps it would work with good humour and stupid amounts of technology. It was fun - and not at all serious.

We have to remember as well that this movie was coming hot off the heels of The Avengers. It was never going to be a small movie. It's a shame that's how things work - but it's also how things have always worked. You don't go backwards - this isn't an indie film.

Meh - some of you haven't even seen the film and are complaining about it. That's ridiculous. Justice has his fanboy switch set to 'rabid' and DX is looking for a fight. And Iron Man Three was fun, which is exactly what I was going to see it for.

CHWolf
05-07-2013, 04:02 AM
What's interesting is the default position on Mandarin seems to be "What, you want the silly-ass comic version? Ho ho!"

Soooo... I guess the answer was to make him even more ridiculous forever in a way no one will be able to forget.

Also, it's not at all ridiculous to complain about it. Reading the plot and watching snippets is simply less than two hours away from your experience.

Paul Sanderson
05-07-2013, 04:41 AM
I saw it. It's merely ok. Nowhere near as good as the first film.

Comix Obsession
05-07-2013, 07:18 AM
Also, it's not at all ridiculous to complain about it. Reading the plot and watching snippets is simply less than two hours away from your experience.

That's just plain dumb. You haven't seen the movie so don't have any idea what the movie is like. You can read all the plot you like - you can read the complete script if you like, but seeing how it is executed is completely different from knowing what happens. With that attitude you might as well never watch movies again and just watch trailers since what you are saying is it's basically the same thing.

I'd recommend watching it.

Justice41
05-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Yeah,I'd rather watch an know than not watch and not know.

CHWolf
05-07-2013, 10:04 PM
That's just plain dumb. You haven't seen the movie so don't have any idea what the movie is like. You can read all the plot you like - you can read the complete script if you like, but seeing how it is executed is completely different from knowing what happens. With that attitude you might as well never watch movies again and just watch trailers since what you are saying is it's basically the same thing.

I'd recommend watching it.

Actually, "just plain dumb" would be paying to see something I already know sucks. Like going to see all the Twilight films because "YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING UNLESS YOU SEE PART THREE FOR YOURSELF!!!"

Bullshit!

It's weird, as well, that you think reading the script would give no insight into the quality of a film.

Your words denote without a shadow of a doubt that what you care most about are visuals. That's where we take different paths.

I'm not stretching your words, though I know you'll probably go there. You just said flat-out that nothing can be judged but the final execution, and the only difference there is delivery of the already existing content. It's like holding off on judging a comic book script until you see the sequentials. Sorry, but a crappy story isn't going to pull me in because a fantastic artist drew it.

By the way, "never watching movies again" and "deciding from the trailer" are two vastly different things. If a movie looks good (because it is probably good) I'll see it. If a movie looks shitty (because it is shitty) I'll take a pass.

Are you really disagreeing with the fact that almost everyone decides whether or not to see a movie based on what they're presented with beforehand?

I take it you've loved all the Resident Evil movies and films like Suckerpunch because of how things were executed onscreen and that the awfulness otherwise didn't cause you any trouble?

Bishop
05-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Uh oh. Wolf pulled out Sucker Punch. This just got real.

dx
05-08-2013, 12:20 AM
I don't really need to make an argument. I liked it. That's that. I don't need to justify to you why i liked it. If you didn't like it, then I'm sorry you wasted your money on a movie you didn't like.

You can think of me as a moron if you'd like. I don't care. I think you are getting a little too wound up about my post. I stated an opinion, you jumped on me about it, and then I pushed your button. I look forward to repeating this conversation after Man of Steel.

You didn't state an opinion, you just threw out a blanket statement that dismissed everyone else's valid opinion, regardless of the argument they used to state their opinion.

I didn't call you a moron, I was simply providing an analogy by using one divisive word to totally dismiss you without out basis.

CHWolf
05-08-2013, 12:35 AM
These disagreements are more interesting to me than the main conflict in IM3.

(Then again, maybe I'm jaded because "villain taking a shot at creating super-people" has been done so often, like in Captain America... X-Men...)

Bishop
05-08-2013, 01:41 AM
You didn't state an opinion, you just threw out a blanket statement that dismissed everyone else's valid opinion, regardless of the argument they used to state their opinion.

That may have been how you took the statement, but that was not the intent behind it. My opinion, for those that hadn't seen it, was that it was a fun movie if you checked that baggage at the door. That's what I did. I could pick the movie apart, but I can also accept it as is, entertaining.

Justice41
05-08-2013, 03:24 AM
These disagreements are more interesting to me than the main conflict in IM3.

(Then again, maybe I'm jaded because "villain taking a shot at creating super-people" has been done so often, like in Captain America... X-Men...)

They aint super people they are suicide bombers.

CHWolf
05-08-2013, 03:30 AM
Hence "taking a shot at".

Justice41
05-08-2013, 03:33 AM
That may have been how you took the statement, but that was not the intent behind it. My opinion, for those that hadn't seen it, was that it was a fun movie if you checked that baggage at the door. That's what I did. I could pick the movie apart, but I can also accept it as is, entertaining.

You can't leave baggage at the door if you don't know you don't need a change of clothes. You accused Wolfie of forming an opinion based on trailers commercials and a script, yet you were able to leave baggage at the door. What brilliant insights did you come up with and from what source, that led you to believe you could leave baggage at the door? These insights must have informed you the movie was crap, so leave that baggage of expectation of a well made movie outside with the partial lobotomy so you could enjoy this childish, simplistic, flick to your hearts content.
So now we know you also formed an opinion based on even less info than Wolfie, and you have the nerve to say anything to anyone about making opinions from trailers and a script.

Justice41
05-08-2013, 03:34 AM
Hence "taking a shot at".

Naw they are literally suicide bombers. They are the people exploding in the movie.

CHWolf
05-08-2013, 03:53 AM
I know. Extremis.

ponyrl
05-08-2013, 04:44 AM
I went in with no expectations, and came out the same.

Except for this that made me smile.

http://www.gunjap.net/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/8125.jpg

They had my armor!:bounce::banana: (SUE ME, It brought back good memories of my kid comic days).

Bishop
05-08-2013, 08:40 AM
You can't leave baggage at the door if you don't know you don't need a change of clothes. You accused Wolfie of forming an opinion based on trailers commercials and a script, yet you were able to leave baggage at the door. What brilliant insights did you come up with and from what source, that led you to believe you could leave baggage at the door? These insights must have informed you the movie was crap, so leave that baggage of expectation of a well made movie outside with the partial lobotomy so you could enjoy this childish, simplistic, flick to your hearts content.
So now we know you also formed an opinion based on even less info than Wolfie, and you have the nerve to say anything to anyone about making opinions from trailers and a script.

1. I didn't accuse Wolf of anything.
2. My post was made after I saw the movie, so I think it was an opinion that was informed as it could be.

Justice41
05-08-2013, 11:29 AM
1. I didn't accuse Wolf of anything.
2. My post was made after I saw the movie, so I think it was an opinion that was informed as it could be.

Nope, you said you should leave the baggage at the door so you must have formed an opinion beforehand. You can weasel around but you said what you said and words mean things.

Bishop
05-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Nope, you said you should leave the baggage at the door so you must have formed an opinion beforehand. You can weasel around but you said what you said and words mean things.

"You must have formed an opinion..."

Now you are making assumptions. I actually went into the movie with very low expectations, having hated Iron Man 2. So, yes an opinion was formed beforehand, but it was a negative one based on the prior movie. However, I don't think I said anywhere that I didn't go in with any assumptions. I only said that my statement about the movie was an informed statement, because I made it after seeing the movie. I didn't jump in with judgement based on just trailers, online rumors, script treatments, etc.

Words do mean things. Just don't assign words to me that I didn't use.

Moonrider
05-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Hmm. I did put 'For those who have seen it' in the thread title because I expected that not everyone agree on the direction that the movie was headed, especially with The Mandarin character. It is best that you watch the movie first before you form any opinion, simply because execution is just as important as the concept. One might not like the concept but applaud the execution, or vice versa, or love/hate both. If you don't plan on seeing the movie, like, ever, then this thread is definitely not for you unless you are here to find any reason you need to change your mind.

Comix Obsession
05-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Actually, "just plain dumb" would be paying to see something I already know sucks. Like going to see all the Twilight films because "YOU CAN'T SAY ANYTHING UNLESS YOU SEE PART THREE FOR YOURSELF!!!"

Bullshit!

"Just plain dumb" would be bringing up 'Twilight' as an argument because it's the current 'go to' film when trying to 'bash' cinema as a whole. However, let's use the Twilight series as an example, since you named them, just to make my point.

What do you know about Twilight? Probably the same as all of us here (unless any of you are closet Twilight fans, and that's OK). What you know about Twilight is that you don't like it, right? You aren't interested in the story because the characters don't grab you, probably because they aren't aimed at you. You know that the film revolves around a vampire who falls in love with human girl and there's also some shirtless guy with a ridiculously good body and everyone is pretty and even the vampires sparkle nicely in the sunlight. OK, so it doesn't interest you at all. So would you spend time complaining about it on an Internet forum in a topic specifically devoted to that series of films? And if you did, would you be right to insult it based on the limited amount you know about it? Oh, but wait, you've seen the trailers - so you KNOW it's terrible. Fair enough - the clips you've seen, the two or three minutes of footage you've seen looks awful. But do you actually KNOW what the film is like, the whole experience? No, you don't. I bet there have been films you've seen that, from the trailer, you have no interest in. I've seen some awful trailers in my time - and I've seen some trailers where I've completely lost interest in a film because of it. Then, some time later on TV or DVD I've watched those films and surprised by how great they are. Animated movies are, in my experience, most commonly given a bad trailer. This could be because the trailers are deliberately (and quite often mistakenly) marketed directly towards children, or it might be that they take the most obvious moments of visual humour and out of context it doesn't quite work. Animations are usually associated, and aimed at, a young audience, so perhaps it's easy to use these as an example, but still, you (hopefully) get my point. Trailers don't show you everything. They also lack a lot of context. A trailer, or 'preview' as you might call them, are showing you 'bits' of the film. If you think you know what the whole film is going to be like just from a few minutes of footage (and not one constant scene, either!) then you seriously are missing out on the pleasure of coming across films that surprise you. Of course you don't have to be surprised by a film just because you watched a terrible trailer for it, but it's happened to me and can happen to you. I fully acknowledge that a terrible trailer can be terrible because the film is terrible, but you won't know that until you watch the movie.

It's weird, as well, that you think reading the script would give no insight into the quality of a film.

"You can read all the plot you like - you can read the complete script if you like, but seeing how it is executed is completely different from knowing what happens."

This is what I wrote. And I understand how you could think that's weird, but bare with me. You see, what I'm basically saying is knowing the story, reading the script and knowing all the plot points doesn't necessarily mean the movie will 'read' how you see it in your mind's eye. Sure, a crappy script with terrible dialogue is likely to play out badly, no argument. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's more than 99% likely that a badly written script can't be polished into a decent film. But, that said, we aren't talking about a crappy script. I don't think Iron Man Three has a crappy script. It has a very good script and a very fun, action-filled story. However, film is a very visual medium, so reading a script will give you everything but the film itself. Since film is a visual medium, until you see the script play out on screen, you don't have any idea how the visuals are handled, how the film looks, how the actors portray the characters, how the sound effects enhance the visuals (OK, so we're delving into the audio side now), how the music enhances the scene (again, audio), how the cinematographer frames the scene, etc, etc.

Sure, a crappy script is likely to be crappy, but it could become something more. Nothing will save bad dialogue, but a good director could save a bad scene.

I'll give you a couple of examples of classics where reading a script would not do the film justice, nor give you much insight into the films themselves. I might be cheating a bit as these three directors are/were very visual directors, but still:

Akira Kurosawa - Seven Samurai/Yojimbo
Sergio Leone - A Fistful of Dollars Trilogy
Anything by Wong Kar Wai.

Wong Kar Wai is a great modern example of a very visual director, whose scripts themselves might seem sparse or even contrived on their own. The other two are obvious and linked examples to anyone who loves classic films.

Would you read: 'A man stands smoking a cigarette. CUT TO: A woman carrying a rice pot. She descends some stairs into a small restaurant. She wipes her brow as she waits for the rice. She is handed the rice. She looks melancholy as she turns and walks back up the stairs. She exits the scene. The man from earlier enters the scene. He descends the same staircase. He is eating a dumpling. He looks deep in thought. This entire scene is shot in slow motion. CUT TO: Woman, again, walking up the stairs carrying a rice pot. She passes the man. He smiles and mutters a greeting to her. They both seem awkward toward each other. He continues to the restaurant and she continues up the stairs, looking vaguely unhappy. END SCENE' and know that this: <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/23oBMOvt85o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> is how it looks? If so, then sir, I applaud you, and go start making movies. See, for me, the above sounds like a normal scene. Sure, that's how I wrote it, but you (again, hopefully) get my point.

OK, so Iron Man Three is no 'In the Mood for Love', but it's still a hugely visual film, just like the comics it is based on are a hugely visual medium, too. And as such, you're not getting the full picture (pun coincidental) from reading the script.

Can reading a script give you insight into a film? Yes, it can. But seeing a film and reading a script are two very different things. I read the 'Sunset Boulevard' script before I saw the movie. Amazing script. The film, however, was a masterpiece. This was because of the performances, the cinematography, the direction and the overall atmosphere. The script was full of atmosphere in the way only the written word can be, but the film took it to a whole new level.

Again, Iron Man Three is no 'Sunset Boulevard', either, but, again(!),I think it's got a strong script and the rest plays out on screen.

Your words denote without a shadow of a doubt that what you care most about are visuals. That's where we take different paths.

No they don't. You denote that from my words. My words don't imply anything of the sort. We are talking about a film, and film is a visual medium. You are saying that you know what the film is like because you watched a trailer and read what everyone else has said about the movie and now know what the movie is like. We live in a culture where popular opinion becomes our own, because if enough people say something, it must be true. You've done nothing more than follow that reasoning. I simply said that you can't know what this film is like without watching the film itself. What you 'denote' from my words (on this subject alone, mind you!) is up to you. But you denote wrong, good sir. What I care about is making you realise that you are wrong to make assumptions just because it's natural and common for us to do so.

I'm not stretching your words, though I know you'll probably go there. You just said flat-out that nothing can be judged but the final execution, and the only difference there is delivery of the already existing content. It's like holding off on judging a comic book script until you see the sequentials. Sorry, but a crappy story isn't going to pull me in because a fantastic artist drew it.

I've already addressed this in far too much detail, but I'll agree with you're last point - a crappy story can't really be saved by flashy visuals. I went into huge detail on this earlier, but I'll reiterate my point of saying I don't think Iron Man Three has a crappy story, nor a crappy script. From what you've wrote it seems pretty clear that you know only what you've read/heard from others, and from what you've seen in the trailer(s). Some of the ideas might seem crappy to you, but you haven't seen the film and don't know how they are executed, so whilst you might not agree with the ideas, or think they are absolute rubbish, the overall result eludes you. This is why I said it's worth checking out the film. Had I known that 'The Mandarin' turned out to be a British actor who was cluelessly acting as a terrorist on camera for an American scientist, I might have said, "Sounds crap, count me out after Iron Man 2", but having seen the film and seen how it all comes together, I can say that I think it worked brilliantly and I really enjoyed it. You can't.

By the way, "never watching movies again" and "deciding from the trailer" are two vastly different things. If a movie looks good (because it is probably good) I'll see it. If a movie looks shitty (because it is shitty) I'll take a pass.

If a movie looks good it COULD BE (and usually likely is) good, I'll agree, again. However, you're trying to be clever with your words here: "If a movie looks shitty (because it is shitty) I'll take a pass" and whilst I admire your dedication to your argument, I'm gonna have to say... 'C'mon, really, that's how you're going to play this?' A movie can look shitty, but it doesn't automatically, as you say, make it shitty. Again, I addressed this earlier, but what you should have written is, "If a movie looks shitty (because it likely is and so often turns out to be shitty) I'll take a pass." Then I'd agree with you. But sometimes, sometimes shitty trailers do not a shitty film make. Also, I don't think Iron Man Three had shitty trailers. Too many 'shitty's' in this paragraph.

Are you really disagreeing with the fact that almost everyone decides whether or not to see a movie based on what they're presented with beforehand?

Nope. That's how we make decisions on what to pay for. But for someone who seems to have made a decision that Marvel movies just aren't for him anymore, you seem to take an awful lot of interest in Marvel movies.

McDonald's is bad for you. Smoking can kill you. Drinking alcohol is slowly destroying your liver. I don't disagree with the fact that millions of people do these things, either.

I'm just saying, in the context of this discussion, that sometimes making your mind up before knowing what you're talking about isn't the best way of handling things.

I take it you've loved all the Resident Evil movies and films like Suckerpunch because of how things were executed onscreen and that the awfulness otherwise didn't cause you any trouble?

I don't know where this came from. Unless you're following on from your 'denoting' that I only care about visuals. Oh, you are. OK. Well I believe I cleared that up for you. The Resident Evil films were crappy because of a number of reasons, mainly the very derivative, lazy script combined with actors who either didn't care or couldn't act. So yeah, good example of a crappy script that couldn't be saved by the visuals (again, I address this earlier, so don't jump on it straight away because it's the last paragraph). Suckerpunch I've seen dubbed in Thai. It seemed to be a purely visual film in the sense that I could have watched it in any language and gotten the idea. Whilst in many films this would be considered admirable - no, I didn't like it. It played out like a teenage boy's fantasy and the visuals were obviously overcompensating for lack of story. Again, (probably) a crappy script that couldn't be saved. So yeah, addressed earlier but good to reiterate. But, as I've said numerous times, I don't think Iron Man Three has a crappy script. Nor do I think the trailers are crappy. So, in short, as I said before, I'd recommend watching it.

If you read through all this, thank you.

CHWolf
05-08-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm not reading that, because I know it's ridiculous and a waste of my time without subjecting my brain to it.

See what I did there? :D Feel free to complain about it or call me out for having no response, but I don't care about your wall of text. Sometimes the more words you need to make your point, the less 'common sense' your point is.

Also, the title may say "for those who have seen it", but really I took that to mean "spoilers ahead" more than "only people who saw it can post because you might not like the twists but you may like the execution so you have to have watched the film". You know, because the second version doesn't make any sense except in retrospect.

But hey, one question. I can't remember... Which Iron Man movie was it where an evil business guy secretly employs a foreigner in an attempt to destroy Tony? If it helps, the foreign guy turns out to not have been doing what was originally thought.

:D

Bishop
05-08-2013, 05:14 PM
I'm not reading that, because I know it's ridiculous and a waste of my time without subjecting my brain to it.

See what I did there? :D Feel free to complain about it or call me out for having no response, but I don't care about your wall of text. Sometimes the more words you need to make your point, the less 'common sense' your point is.

Also, the title may say "for those who have seen it", but really I took that to mean "spoilers ahead" more than "only people who saw it can post because you might not like the twists but you may like the execution so you have to have watched the film". You know, because the second version doesn't make any sense except in retrospect.

But hey, one question. I can't remember... Which Iron Man movie was it where an evil business guy secretly employs a foreigner in an attempt to destroy Tony? If it helps, the foreign guy turns out to not have been doing what was originally thought.

:D

Yeah, I read it as a spoiler alert as well. As to your question, the answer is the first... wait, no second... no... Heyyyyy!

jeffo46
05-08-2013, 06:35 PM
I went to see it on Sunday and I want a refund ! It totally sucked !

Justice41
05-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Has anyone noticed when in IM 1 when stark was working with his Holographs and laser images he was very focused and rattling off specs and whatnot. Very believable. Now in IM 2-3 the way they show Stark is focused is to have him, right after he does some exploded laser graphic thing, is to exhale and grab his face.?
Everytime I see that I know the actor has lost interest or isn't feeling it. There wasn't any time for that in Avengers. It was go go go.

Justice41
05-08-2013, 09:10 PM
You take out the drunken party scene form IM 2 and tighten up some of the other stuff like the Fury stuff and IM2 would be a whole lot better a flick. But Blame IM2 on Marvel and not Favs. They rushed him to finish that flick before Thor and Captain America.

CHWolf
05-08-2013, 09:14 PM
Take out the weak alcoholism shit (go all in or not, spare us the frat humor) and the overtly obvious "cross the streams" shit and it would at least lose the two things I hated most about it.

The "slow poisoning" and "new element" bullshit should've been shot out of a cannon as well. Wasted time for no reason.

"I'm dying without X! Hey, I have X!" pointless.

Edit: Plus, before I forget, Cheadle suuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhcks. Across the board. I preferred Howard just because his soft-spoken whining played well as a counter to Downey Jr.'s fast-talk. The character was played as someone who, despite all accomplishments, could still be knocked on his back and walked on by Tony. It would've made Rhodie's coming into his own all the more gratifying.

But hey, I guess he wanted too much money for the sequel. Money that needs to go toward an increasing number of explosions!

Justice41
05-08-2013, 09:19 PM
IM 2 was way to Pat. Easy answers and way too easy a way to find the answers. And I miss the first Rhodey. Cheadle may be a better actor but the other guy was more charismatic.

CHWolf
05-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Bah, you beat me to the edit.

Cheadle reminds me of a little kid in his delivery/reactions. That sort of "That makes me mad. Now I don't like you anymore. Shoot, just kidding." thing.

Don't know if that makes any sense outside my head.

Justice41
05-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Well if you'd seen his reaction to the fire breathing Pierce, yeah you nailed it.

Moonrider
05-08-2013, 11:36 PM
I can agree that Terrence Howard was a much better Rhodey than Don Cheadle. Howard looks and acts like a guy who is more than capable of holding his own against any robot army, while in IM2 Cheadle just feels like a joke character wearing a joke armor (The Ex-Wife? Ugh).

Comix Obsession
05-09-2013, 01:54 AM

That's OK, I assumed you wouldn't respond to it with anything other than sarcasm. It's what you do. What I wrote was quite informative, but as soon as you realise you might have something to learn or not be able to respond in a sarcastic way or even (gasp) possibly have a change of opinion, then you show your true colours. So yeah, well done there, for saying something pretty silly, having several very good reasons why it is silly, and then responding with, 'I don't care'. Another victory for you for vehemently sticking to your guns and failing to acknowledge or even attempt (semi)civil discussion.

Yeah, yeah, blah blah blah. All you really wanted to do was bitch and complain about a movie you haven't seen because you love comic books and these movies irk you in some way. It might be because you're not the star of them judging by your ego, but like I said before, you don't know what you're talking about.

But hey, one question. I can't remember... Which Iron Man movie was it where an evil business guy secretly employs a foreigner in an attempt to destroy Tony? If it helps, the foreign guy turns out to not have been doing what was originally thought.:D

Haha, that's true! I hadn't noticed that. Now watch the movie and see how it's executed!

Like I said before, I'd recommend watching it.

Comix Obsession
05-09-2013, 02:00 AM
I can agree that Terrence Howard was a much better Rhodey than Don Cheadle. Howard looks and acts like a guy who is more than capable of holding his own against any robot army, while in IM2 Cheadle just feels like a joke character wearing a joke armor (The Ex-Wife? Ugh).

I was disappointed when Terrence Howard didn't return, and Cheadle definitely felt out of place in Iron Man 2. Maybe I've gotten used to him now, but I thought he was much better in the this movie. Again, it might be because I've already seen him in Iron Man 2, but his role this time around felt much more rounded than last time. That said, Howard was a perfect match against Downey Jr. The two seemed to gel on screen, they really worked well against each other. I think Howard plays serious a lot better than Cheadle, and that could be the problem. Downey Jr is already the joker, having Cheadle try to be another (albeit more serious) joker doesn't play as well.

CHWolf
05-09-2013, 02:57 AM
That's OK, I assumed you wouldn't respond to it with anything other than sarcasm. It's what you do.

Sarcasm is the method, not the content.

I get tired of arguements (who, me?) when they veer off into wild assumptions that make absolutely no sense - and I think: "Why am I talking to this person as if he'll let any thought stand that isn't his own?"

I'm egotistical and stick to my guns and I'm sarcastic and whiney and all that -- This is like a cockfight and you're calling me the cock. Look in the mirror, Red. This conversation ain't uncivil 'cause of me (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1795225&postcount=68).

I mean really... I want to complain becase I "love comic books"? What the fuck are you even talking about, anymore?

Comix Obsession
05-09-2013, 03:28 AM
Sarcasm is the method, not the content.

I get tired of arguements (who, me?) when they veer off into wild assumptions that make absolutely no sense - and I think: "Why am I talking to this person as if he'll let any thought stand that isn't his own?"

I'm egotistical and stick to my guns and I'm sarcastic and whiney and all that -- This is like a cockfight and you're calling me the cock. Look in the mirror, Red. This conversation ain't uncivil 'cause of me (http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1795225&postcount=68).

I mean really... I want to complain becase I "love comic books"? What the fuck are you even talking about, anymore?

Yeah yeah, blah blah blah. Go read my reply and then maybe I'll listen to anything you have to say. Cock. ;)

CHWolf
05-09-2013, 04:43 AM
Foo foo, goo goo, I know you are but what am I?

dx
05-14-2013, 12:26 AM
COCK!

It had to happen sooner or later on DW.

Comix Obsession....come on dude. Any valid points you had, any common sense you were making,... all gets thrown out the door when end your case with...Cock!

CHWolf
05-14-2013, 02:50 AM
That's why I like it when people do that.

All you have to do is not sling names and you come out ahead.

THIS IS ALL SOUNDING LIKE IT RELATES TO COCKS WTF.

Comix Obsession
05-14-2013, 08:57 AM
COCK!

It had to happen sooner or later on DW.

Comix Obsession....come on dude. Any valid points you had, any common sense you were making,... all gets thrown out the door when end your case with...Cock!

Meh, it had already gone down the road of farce anyway. "I'm not reading that and you can't make me!" was pretty much how it was left. That said, the 'cock' thing didn't really change what everyone else already realised before me. I just ended up wasting my time, but no harm done.

CHWolf
05-14-2013, 03:33 PM
I don't recall saying "I'm not reading that and you can't make me!"

I think I compared your post to Iron Man 3 and noted that I already knew what I was in for and would take a pass.

I guess it's all in the reader's eye.

But I suppose it's alright, you've come around to my PoV about wasting time.

Comix Obsession
05-15-2013, 02:40 AM
But I suppose it's alright, you've come around to my PoV about wasting time.

Haha, awesome.

Troy Wall
05-27-2013, 11:47 PM
I thought it was pretty awful.

Who would NOT realize Guy Pierce will be the main villain after the opening scene? If the visuals didn't make it clear, the narration should drive it home when Tony laments having created demons without realizing it.

I don't understand folks being upset about the Mandarin plot twist. He was only in the movie for like two minutes prior to the reveal. I think there were...three of the short Mandarin videos prior to the reveal. He never did anything but narrate a few short commercials for himself. So why care if he turned out to be a fake?

Why does Shane Black have such an uncontrollable obsession with featuring Christmas season in movies? If I were the studio head I would have said "Fuck you, fuckface...fuck your perverted Christmas fetish, go fuck yourself!" LES GROSSMAN!!!!

CHWolf
05-27-2013, 11:56 PM
I think the hubub over Mandarin is the entire usage of him, not the fact that this version turned out to be fake.

Imagine, if you will, a Batman movie where the Joker is played by Ben Kingsly doing a southern accent(?) and THEN he turns out to be an actor manipulated by Maxie Zeus.

Mandarin isn't on par with Joker fame-wise or even quality-wise, but he's probably the villain most associated with Iron Man throughout the decades, like Joker with Batsy.

Plus it's a "fuck you in the eye with a corkscrew" moment for every single viewer/fan who was waiting for the culmination of the "Ten Rings" thing.

It doesn't even make sense tied in with IM1.

Justice41
05-28-2013, 12:09 AM
The voice the Mandarin is trying to emulate is President Nixon.

CHWolf
05-28-2013, 03:40 AM
Mystery solved. (For me, the only person on Earth who hasn't seen it.) :P

Justice41
05-28-2013, 12:18 PM
You can almost hear him saying," I am not a crook" and "you won't have me to kick around". Would be funny if Rich Little did the voice over.

Morganza
05-31-2013, 05:55 PM
I did not like Iron Man 3.

Bishop
05-31-2013, 08:10 PM
This is great:http://youtu.be/OUYW0JyzydA

Co.Inkadink
05-31-2013, 08:18 PM
I did not like Iron Man 3.

Me either. It had too many Coinkadinks in it.

5thGradeZombies
06-06-2013, 09:18 PM
I know i'm late to the party on this, but I can never pass up an opportunity to say how completely shitty this movie was! It was the ABSOLUTE worst Marvel movie i've seen since Fantastic Four. UGH!