PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION - Converting print TIFFs to digital-use JPGs

Kel Nuttall
04-20-2013, 02:10 AM
OK, client has the hi-rez CMYK TIFFs with anti-aliasing OFF that I provided him for printing. Comixology is apparently trying to covert those for use as a Comixology digital comic and things are coming out nice and CRUNCHY because of the aliasing.

I was taught to NOT turn on anti-aliasing for print files....but I'm not sure how they can get digital friendly files out of what i sent them. Don't especially want to spend the time exporting new files from Illustrator if I can avoid it.

What am I missing, oh wise ones?

JimCampbell
04-20-2013, 04:21 AM
I was taught to NOT turn on anti-aliasing for print files....but I'm not sure how they can get digital friendly files out of what i sent them. Don't especially want to spend the time exporting new files from Illustrator if I can avoid it.

I likewise followed the received wisdom on anti-aliasing for quite a long time but, for reasons I can no longer remember, I started using the Type Optimized (Hinted) anti-aliasing setting by default and no one seems to be able to tell the difference…

Cheers

Jim

Kel Nuttall
04-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Hmmmmm

Kel Nuttall
04-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Hey, Jim- have your files using the Type Optimized anti-aliasing been used for both print on digital?

JimCampbell
04-21-2013, 07:09 AM
Hey, Jim- have your files using the Type Optimized anti-aliasing been used for both print on digital?

Not sure… I normally supply JPEG files to clients' specifications when they indicate digital. That said, I don't supply separate files to Zenescope or Image, so I assume they're repurposing the TIFFs I supply for their digital editions…

Cheers

Jim

Kel Nuttall
04-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Hmmmmmm....thanks.

Jason Arthur
05-12-2013, 04:45 PM
I run an action to "save for web" and make my jpg that way and then I hit my next action key after that finishes to make my high res .tif file.

The .jpgs take nearly no storage space, so I just do it automatically for every book and use the jpgs to make my proofs.

lordmagnusen
05-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Type Optimized? That usually ruins the art in my exports...

JimCampbell
05-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Shouldn't make the slightest difference to a placed TIFF -- the antialiasing should only affect the elements that AI is rasterising. The placed art is already a bitmap.
Cheers

Jim

lordmagnusen
05-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Right. Maybe I'm doing it with jpgs, and that's what's killing them, but it won't happen to Tiffs.

JimCampbell
05-14-2013, 12:07 PM
I should apologise — that reply was a bit terse, because I was typing it on my phone!

I'm certainly not saying that you don't see a quality reduction, only that I can't work out why that specific setting should have any effect…!

Cheers

Jim

lordmagnusen
05-14-2013, 12:28 PM
No worries about the response. :)