PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if a story will fit into a comic without writing a script?

Ace Corona
04-19-2013, 06:38 PM
I plan on writing a series of short stories that I plan on turning into comic books some day, but I didn't plan on turning the stories into comic scripts until a future point in time. While they are just prose stories meant to be read as short stories, how can I know they are not too long or too short to fit into a 24 page comic book? Is there some trick to this, or am I bound to turn them into comic scripts first to know for sure?

Steven Forbes
04-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Hi!

This is one of the sillier questions I've seen lately.

Anything can be of any length. It all depends on the story you're trying to tell or adapt.

You can do War & Peace in a 22p story. It can be done. Doesn't mean it should, but it can be done.

Prose does not translate directly to comics. Different rhythms to both. Comics have a rhythm that has to be watched and adhered to more stringently than prose. And if you're talking about converting a prose story into a comic somewhere in the murky future, it definitely won't matter what you think about it now, because hopefully your comic storytelling abilities will have grown.

Do what you do now, and let the future sort itself out.

-Steven