PDA

View Full Version : Retro Movie Club: Gremlins 1 & 2

CHWolf
04-10-2013, 11:00 PM
So let's have a REAL "retro" movie club post every once in a while, despite the suckiness of the April Fool's one.

Gremlins!

Timely, as there are "trust me on this" rumblings of a reboot (http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/warner-bros-looking-to-breed-gremlins-again-reboot.html).

The first was a cult classic "tiny puppet invaders" film you could probably compare with Ghoulies, Critters, etc. but the marketability set this film apart from the rest.

They were really careful to provide the "cute plush doll", the "scary badasses", etc.

The sequel, of course, kicked the entire premise up five thousand notches with arguably the single most "80s" film ever made. Spider Gremlin! Gargoyle Gremlin! Lady Gremlin! Vegetable Gremlin! Electrical Gremlin! Collect them all, or Hulk Hogan will come yell at you!

Personally, I adore the sequel for its balls-out camp and rampant unapologetic stupidity. The dated pop culture references stick out like sore thumbs, and it's beautiful.

Plus, the antagonist... the human one... is a Trump clone. It'd be nice if he'd stayed in the 80s with the rest of the gimmicks, eh?

So let's hear it. Where'd you first see the film? The sequel? Which do you prefer, if either? Favorite scene? Did it give you nightmares? You baby!

I'm a-scared of that supposed Reboot.

CGI Gremlins doing (insert current dance craze) and hanging on Taylor Swift...

Moonrider
04-11-2013, 02:12 AM
Phoebe Cates.