PDA

View Full Version : Vagabond

Angel
04-02-2013, 07:23 AM
I'm reading the manga "Vagabond" based on the the biography of Miyamoto Musashi and damn Takehiko Inoue is the man. This some of the best art and storytelling you will ever encounter in your life.

JuanAlbarran
04-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Agree 100%. For some reason manga is thought to be for kids only in the US but that couldn't be further from the truth. Vagabond is a true master piece

ponyrl
04-02-2013, 09:24 PM
You should try reading the TOME size book it's based off of. I still haven't finished it. Makes War and Peace look like cliff's notes! :D

Angel
04-02-2013, 10:28 PM
I will probably pick up "Musashi".

One thing that is charming about the storytelling is the amount of humor that actually works in a story so full of this "matter of fact" style of death and dismemberment. That, along with the amount of depth and thoughtfulness put into even minor characters...it shows that there is a certain amount of humor needed to get through this life and the most serious of situtations... and that people should not be treated as fodder for the "hero".

Inoue is amazing. When he illustrates "panic" you panic. When he illustrates "a chill up the spine" you feel it. When he illustrates "obsession" you get it.