PDA

View Full Version : Lettering conundrum, help!

darkersho
03-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Sasha, a blue doberman from my comic, speaks in puzzles. Rebus and pictograms, her words turn colors based on her emotions much like a mood ring. Red = angry etc. So, as a result of radiation mutation the characters in the comic can SEE Sasha's thoughts (puzzles) as they manifest and hang in the air. Leaving the reader to solve the puzzle.

Regarding the balloons when lettering, should I use speech bubbles or thought bubbles? Or maybe someone can offer a more clever suggestion. I plan to use vector images as I'll need to piece the puzzles together.

http://i.imgur.com/3HoDFQJ.jpg

Thanks! More info here: www.facebook.com/ruincomic

Evan Henry
03-05-2013, 04:10 PM
I would think thought bubbles would work better, as speech balloons are exclusively associated with something that is audible to the characters in the story. On the other hand, thought bubbles have usually been used to indicate a character's internal monologue (before that role was taken over by captions, of course), so it may seem strange for the reader to see characters reacting to something taking place in someone else's thought balloons.

Personally, I would go with thought balloons. They've been used plenty of times in the past to convey telepathic communication, especially in X-Men comics and similar, so it's not too much of a stretch for the reader to understand that the characters are seeing the thoughts, as long as that is made clear in dialogue. I dislike the idea of using speech bubbles unless someone is communicating verbally, however.

darkersho
03-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Appreciate your input, and I think you're correct. The thought bubbles make sense.

NicShaw
03-05-2013, 10:51 PM
I'd go with telekinetic thought balloons.
Similar to regular thought balloons, just with four sets of three small lines placed around the balloon.

lordmagnusen
03-06-2013, 12:00 PM
I'd go with regular text balloons, sort of like Garfield.