PDA

View Full Version : Asterix and Obelix: At Her Majesty’s Service

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
03-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Has anyone seen this? Live action take on the animated Asterix... We are going to see it this afternoon... it looks pretty funny... :happy:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/09/05/full-trailer-for-the-new-asterix-and-obelix-movie/

Moonrider
03-06-2013, 10:27 AM
So, was it funny?

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
03-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Yes it was. Not "omg-must-see-ten-times" funny, but it was worth going to see. We watched it in French, so there were alot of France/British jabs, which is fun. (I must admit that I didn't understand every single word, the France vocabulary is different) Reminds of Bon Cop Bad Cop, which had so many "picks" between Ontario and Quebec. Very humourous.

The movie was taken pretty much from Asterix et les Gaulois, and Asterix Chez Les Bretons... There were a few things they didn't do or it would have been kind of racist, but it was pretty faithful. Gerard Depardieux is great to watch.

Thanks for asking! :happy:

Moonrider
03-06-2013, 02:14 PM
I practically grew up with their comic books. The first two live action movies were acceptable enough, but I remember watching the trailer of Asterix at the Olympics and thought of it as really dumb and way too over the top so I passed on it.
I'll consider watching this one when it hits our shores.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
03-06-2013, 04:45 PM
I heard bad things about Asterix at the Olympics as well... We had planned on watching it when it came out but let it pass by. This one isn't incredible, but I think it's worth going to see if you're a fan of Asterix. My two kids grew up reading the comic books, and we watch all the old animated movies every Christmas. I really like the animated movie with Cleopatra, she has such a perfect aristocratic - and extremely annoying - voice... :laugh:

The one thing they didn't show, and I was kind of waiting for, was Obelix and his food obsession. They did, however, do the "sanglier bouillir avec la sauce a la menthe!", which of course Obelix detests... They poke endless fun at the British and how they drink nothing but hot water, and eat boiled everything with mint sauce... Mind you, the British think the French are... well, wouldn't want to spoil everything...

It's just so familiar for people here in Quebec. The French-English thing poke fun at each other too. Sort of.

Moonrider
03-06-2013, 07:05 PM
I forgot which one but there's one animated Asterix movie where the English dub's timing is slightly off and they oddly addressed that early in the very first scene by apologizing to the audience. Weird how they couldn't just fix the dub before release.