PDA

View Full Version : Silver Surfer ink practice

JOinks
02-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Let me know what you guys think! :bounce:

Pencils by Stephen Segovia
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/089/5/a/silver_surfer_issue1_by_sjsegovia-d3csolp.jpg

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/049/c/d/silver_surfer_practice_inks_by_jo_colors-d5vev9j.jpg

Rob Norton
02-24-2013, 04:21 PM
as i was scrolling down..looking at the crazy awesome background pencills this guy (whoever he is) has done, i was thinking that this would be a VERY hard image to ink if you dont have super skills with your tools ...whichever they may be.

and if im being honest, i dont think you came close. still a ways to go in terms of learning how to get your tools to do what you need them to do as well as interpreting what the penciller is doing properly into inks.

all the lushness of the space backgrounds has been lost in ink lines that have no confidence in their application nor is there an understanding of how to reproduce what the pencils are doing.

im guessing these are digital, and i would suggest to keep working at your craft and figuring out how to get strong clean crisp lines that show confidence and power in the same way the pencils do. line weights are key to doing stuff like this, and they really arent here.

keep working..keep posting.

rob

JOinks
02-24-2013, 04:28 PM
It's not digital. I actually inked this with a brush.

Thanks for the input. :)

lobocomics
02-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Stephen Segovia is one of the best and most overlooked pencilers in the business... Marvel or DC still have to give him one of those Young Guns pushes so that he becomes a superstar and everyone gets to know his art... so full of detail, and action, and that is what makes his stuff so difficult to ink... this piece would be very difficult to ink even for a pro... but it is great that you gave it a shot... maybe start with something a little less complicated and go from there... and I will give you the advice the guys at this forum gave me... use the tool (or tools) you best feel will do the work... saludos

JuanAlbarran
02-25-2013, 05:00 AM
Interesting, I was thinking the same thing: this page would be very difficult to ink... Digital or brush, it doesn't matter, I think, but I agree the inking it's not quite there yet, unfortunatelly. I don't know who did the actual inking for this page but if you can get it, compare it to what you did, I do that all the time and it helps a lot to see how a pro solved the same problems you faced here.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Juan

jessej07
02-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Jo, so glad you posted here.

My main criticism would be that you seem to follow the pencils a little too religiously. There are areas of Silver Surfer that because of the rendering look scuffed up, jagged, or flat, which, unless he's just scraped his forehead on the pavement should actually read smooth and chromelike. At least, that's how I always interpret the Silver Surfer (admittedly, I don't know much about him). That is actually a critique I would make of the original pencils as well, since Stephen Segovia gave the initial rendering and made it look scuffed up. I'm mainly referring to the face, knee, and chest areas, the rest of his body looks smooth and chrome enough.

Further, things like the surfboard in panel 1 get lost in all of the action going on in the background there. The lighted side of the board is rendered very similarly to the moon or rocks behind it so it takes a moment to realize that SS isn't just floating around looking for where his feet floated off too.

With all that said, I could do absolutely none of what you did, you kicked a lot of ass on it. It's a very impressive penciled page and I think your inks tackle it very nicely but compound some of rendering confusion I had with it to start, and beyond really accentuating the line weights in the foreground I am not sure how to ink this page. I think it's ambitious and impressive that you did it, so hats off to you.

JOinks
02-25-2013, 05:43 PM
I've been reading up on some techniques and stuff about inking today and I'm really glad you guys are leaving me feedback. I'm working very hard to get the hang of this and to learn the appropriate techniques and workflow of inking pages. I'll keep posting and look forward to your feedback. :D

Vicmoya
02-26-2013, 12:34 AM
First of all, big ups on trying totackle such ambitious pages. If you have the guts to go for it, even if you blow the entirepage,you will learned much more than doing really well on a throw away page that does not challenge you.

I'm gonna leave you with one tip. Really think about the intention of the pencillers lines. What is he trying to accomplish? And how can you realize those intentions. Ok, I think that's three, but you get the point.

Take the crosshatching for instance. On some parts (the surfers body and board) the hatching is meant to convey gradual shift in light on a reflective surface. For this try a much thinner line than you holding lines and put them in a close proximity to each other.

On the planet, they ar emeant to portray the dark side of the planet with texture suggesting land masses and bodies of water. For this I would play with the thick to thin of the lines and maybe do a little reverse hatching with white on top of it.

Or the dynamic cosmic backgrounds where there is hatching is meant to augment the kirby crackle enrgy effect. This is where you get to have as much fun as you want and play with energy effects.

None of this hatching should be approached the same way as they are meant for different effects. Crosshatching is probably the the single most inappropiately applied technique used by todays inkers. If you can get this stuff down, then you are two steps ahead of most. So practice, practice, practice and keep going fer broke!