PDA

View Full Version : which con is the best to contact editors?

lobocomics
02-06-2013, 09:14 AM
OK.. since I am trying to get more serious about working as an inker, I think I have to make contact with the editors.. so the next step is going to a convention and show my work... now... I live in Mexico, and cons here are more about bringing the artists than the editors... so I want to go to a con in the US... the question is... which con is the best to get in touch with editors?

JuanAlbarran
02-06-2013, 09:38 AM
I have no experience in showing my work on cons, I got my gigs following a different route, but I went to Dragon Con in Atlanta 3 years ago and it looked to me like an ideal place to show a portafolio. That con is not as packed and SDCC or NYCC (I attended NYCC two years ago and it was really really crazy) and there weren't a whole lot of artists waiting on the editors area. I would assume that editors had more time to review portafolios and spend time with all artists.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think that smaller cons would work best for this type of thing.

Juan

lobocomics
02-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Exactly.. I went to comicon.. and it was insane... and I found out that at smaller conventions, you have more time and artists and editors are more relaxed, and can look at your work, and even socialize a little...how did you get your gigs by the way?

JuanAlbarran
02-06-2013, 05:48 PM
I am currently inking for one of the big two but I'm not allowed to say anything yet... hopefully next month they'll let me. For me it was a combination of pure luck, being nice and professional and being ready when the opportunity came knocking. Oh, and being able to survive sleeping about 4 hours a day or even less is useful too :blink:

I met an artist at NYCC who works regularly with an inker who by chance saw my stuff and when another artist asked him for an inker, he recommended me. That was it, I did a test, they liked it and I was in, believe it or not. Knowing somebody in the inside was it for me. Now let's hope I'm able to stay in too!

lobocomics
02-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Wow.. that is great... now... all I have to do.. is meet someone who is on the inside:har:

Best of luck... I think you will do just fine... and 4 hours of sleep.... ok... let's start with that...

Thanks.. and as soon as you can say something... let us know so we can check what you are working on.

JuanAlbarran
02-06-2013, 07:36 PM
ha! well, try getting to know people, you never know where that may lead you. I met this guy on October 2010, the connection worked on January 2013. Go figure...

I will sure post pages on late February after it all gets published :)

Vicmoya
02-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Lobo, just keep at it. You never know what opportunities will turn up at what cons. No matter what the size.

Juan, that is fantastic! I'd love to work for the big two but oddly, my dream company to sling inks for is Dark Horse. That would be awesome.

lobocomics
02-07-2013, 12:10 AM
I have to say I am a Marvel fan.. the characthers have a great appeal to me... and yes... persistance... let's keep at it.

JuanAlbarran
02-07-2013, 03:23 AM
I am a fan of any editor that pays me enough to quit my day job :har:

As a reader, I've always liked Image and Marvel though Batman is quite possibly my favorite character but I think pencillers are more important to me than charactars. Inking over art that I like makes it so much easier and enjoyable.

And yeah, let's keep at it! I got 5 pages to finish for Monday :(

juan.a.stewart
02-07-2013, 03:37 AM
Mr. Albarran you still around? Thatís good, now finish those pages and stop chatting here, letís go chop, chop (hope to see some stuff soon). :cool:

JuanAlbarran
02-07-2013, 04:07 AM
Haha! I am actually at my day job now, trying not to fall asleep on my desk after yet another very short night of sleep. I would actually appreciate some conversation to keep me awake :har:

lobocomics
02-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Now.. that is indeed the kind of editor anyone likes...right? and I have found out that I enjoy inking very diffrent kind of pencilers... the more diverse.. the better.

Good luck with those 5 pages Juan... hope we can see them soon.

JuanAlbarran
02-08-2013, 04:07 AM
I said February but it will actually be late March, when the issues come out. Right now it's a few pages here and there, 9 pages on one book, 5 and another and next week I got 5 more for a third book, but this one's digital only.
Hopefully I can get more steady work from them, keep your fingers crossed for me!! :)