PDA

View Full Version : Crititque my lettering?

TonyyyG
02-05-2013, 12:57 AM
Hey there. Kind of new to these forums and I would like to be more involved in the community.

I've just begun lettering and I have to say it's a lot funner than I thought. I use Adobe Illustrator for lettering purposes.

I just finished lettering my first non paid/work for experience comic. I got positive feedback from the writer but I'd like some more tips/comments/critiques from fellow comic enthusiasts.

This art does not belong to me. All rights go to Ronnie Massey.
http://www.ronniemassey.com/
Comic fonts from blambot

http://tonyyyg.deviantart.com/#/d5tdv1l
sorry it's an outgoing link. Cant seem to figure out how to post the image right onto the post.

Thanks!!

Evan Henry
02-05-2013, 01:20 AM
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/031/6/a/bloodlines8_by_tonyyyg-d5tdv1l.jpg

NicShaw
02-05-2013, 04:39 AM
-Your Balloons have a little too much "Air" in them.
-All lettering should be in capital letters.
-The "KRAKK" should be blended in illustrator, as you have the "R" and the "A" over each other.
-Make sure to watch your line spacing.
-The balloon with "where did she put the damn key" I'd centre the balloons tail more.

Your balloon placement is good, the shapes are nice, and your font size is nice too.
Keep it up! I'd recommend picking up Comic Crafts Guide to Lettering Comics, it's not too expensive, and is a great tool to have!

TonyyyG
02-05-2013, 10:21 AM
SuperMonkey- thanks for posting it on! I appreciate it!

TonyyyG
02-05-2013, 10:27 AM
-Your Balloons have a little too much "Air" in them.
-All lettering should be in capital letters.
-The "KRAKK" should be blended in illustrator, as you have the "R" and the "A" over each other.
-Make sure to watch your line spacing.
-The balloon with "where did she put the damn key" I'd centre the balloons tail more.

Your balloon placement is good, the shapes are nice, and your font size is nice too.
Keep it up! I'd recommend picking up Comic Crafts Guide to Lettering Comics, it's not too expensive, and is a great tool to have!

Thanks for your opinion! I appreciate you taking time to add your comments on my work. I will use your tips and work on getting better.
I keep hearing great things about Comic Craft's Guide, I think I will get it.
Anyways thanks! I appreciate it

Evan Henry
02-05-2013, 06:37 PM
No problem! I agree with Nic about the air you have in the balloons, and also about the leading (line spacing); I would bring that down by about half or more. Placement is good, and I like the sound effects!

lordmagnusen
02-05-2013, 11:18 PM
The amount of air in the balloons is a choice, I've seen plenty of highly experienced pros do it in some books... but you gotta watch it, because you might have some lengthy dialogues later, and you'll have to squeeze 'em.

Watch your crossbar I's. While it's not exactly WRONG to start a sentence with one (If...); they're usually reserved only for the pronoun I, acronyms, and maybe sometimes given names (Irene, Ivan); or narrative captions that start with a large, highly stylized "I" and then the rest ("In the begining, there was only darkness...").

TonyyyG
02-08-2013, 01:28 AM
The amount of air in the balloons is a choice, I've seen plenty of highly experienced pros do it in some books... but you gotta watch it, because you might have some lengthy dialogues later, and you'll have to squeeze 'em.

Watch your crossbar I's. While it's not exactly WRONG to start a sentence with one (If...); they're usually reserved only for the pronoun I, acronyms, and maybe sometimes given names (Irene, Ivan); or narrative captions that start with a large, highly stylized "I" and then the rest ("In the begining, there was only darkness...").

Yeah I agree. I've seen plenty of letterers leave space in their balloons but I will try to cut back on that because of lengthy dialogue. Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it.

lordmagnusen
02-08-2013, 10:58 AM
No worries, man.