PDA

View Full Version : JJ Abrams To Direct Star Wars

Steven Forbes
01-25-2013, 05:54 AM
Lots of people say these two properties are two sides of the same coin. Now, we have a single director for them both.

I wonder how much money they threw at him. "JJ, we see that we made mistakes. Anakin was a whiney bitch. We see that. Your version of Kirk was spot on. Lots of character development, lots of action. We'd like to do that. Here's a billion dollars. PLEASE come and work your magic!"

Thoughts (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/reports-jj-abrams-direct-star-wars-18307820)?

Co.Inkadink
01-25-2013, 06:38 AM
He can't do any worse. I like HIS Star Trek but not as STAR TREK, I mourn the death of my favorite Sci-Fi show but Star Wars needs something and he might just be the chosen one.

Buckyrig
01-25-2013, 11:27 AM
This is one of those things where I will (probably) get excited about it when it gets closer to being released, but right now...I really can't muster any interest.

So, I guess at least that if it ends up being good I'll get to enjoy an unexpected surprise.

But Abrams - based on the stuff I've seen - seems to be one of these guys who almost does something great, but never quite seems to.

Angel
01-25-2013, 12:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHqjmlM3kxs

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
01-25-2013, 12:38 PM
I almost have to agree with you, Bucky... Much of what I've watched of his is, like, incredible but... it's bloody awesome but...

But I like the idea of J. J. attacking Star Wars MUCH better than Lucas doing it again. :)

DarkKni9hT
01-25-2013, 02:40 PM
Can you even imagine the eye-searing, brain-melting potential for lens flare off C3PO?!?! It boggles the mind to think about it. Every scene with Threepio in it will be like a white hot smorgasbord of prismatic ambrosia.

I can just see it now..."and the Oscar for best supporting role in a feature film goes to .... LENS FLARE!!!!!"

Duane Korslund
01-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Star wars is ready for something fresh and gritty...other than Revenge of the Sith Star Wars has been nothing but pandering to children...to the extreme. The brilliance about the first 3 movies was that they were attractive to the adult as well as the child...

Abrahms or Whedon would rule with Star Wars....Just keep Nolan away :D

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
01-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Can you even imagine the eye-searing, brain-melting potential for lens flare off C3PO?!?! It boggles the mind to think about it. Every scene with Threepio in it will be like a white hot smorgasbord of prismatic ambrosia.

I can just see it now..."and the Oscar for best supporting role in a feature film goes to .... LENS FLARE!!!!!"

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

THAT was my only big gripe about Star Trek, gosh but it was distracting...!

CHWolf
01-25-2013, 04:04 PM
This is clearly working toward one thing.

SW v ST: The Dark Fall Into Dark Side Darkness in the Dark.

Co.Inkadink
01-25-2013, 04:21 PM
So, I guess at least that if it ends up being good I'll get to enjoy an unexpected surprise.

But Abrams - based on the stuff I've seen - seems to be one of these guys who almost does something great, but never quite seems to.
I think you hit it on the head. Lost was almost great until the last season and Star Trek was really good in the beginning and he has a way of sweeping you up into the story but in the end it was forgettable. The original Star Wars was so memorable and this new one needs that.

Duane Korslund
01-25-2013, 04:59 PM
I think you hit it on the head. Lost was almost great until the last season and Star Trek was really good in the beginning and he has a way of sweeping you up into the story but in the end it was forgettable. The original Star Wars was so memorable and this new one needs that.

In defense of Lost...I think when someone tries to throw in so many monkey wrenches, and purposely convolutes every single plot thread...by the end of it, I'd imagine anyone would throw their hand up in defeat...

Hmm...not really in defense of it I guess LOL...it wasnt bad...it was just...a lot worse than the rest of it

Evan Henry
01-25-2013, 06:18 PM
In defense of Lost...I think when someone tries to throw in so many monkey wrenches, and purposely convolutes every single plot thread...by the end of it, I'd imagine anyone would throw their hand up in defeat...

Hmm...not really in defense of it I guess LOL...it wasnt bad...it was just...a lot worse than the rest of it

Abrams was completely off Lost by the second or third season, if I remember correctly. That was all Lindelof's and Cuse's fault.

Duane Korslund
01-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Abrams was completely off Lost by the second or third season, if I remember correctly. That was all Lindelof's and Cuse's fault.

Ah..didnt know that...makes more sense...the vision did seem to blur...then get increasingly blurrier

Co.Inkadink
01-25-2013, 07:08 PM
In defense of Lost...I think when someone tries to throw in so many monkey wrenches, and purposely convolutes every single plot thread...by the end of it, I'd imagine anyone would throw their hand up in defeat...I don't want to turn this into a Lost thread but the 4th and 5th seasons were some of my favorite shows of all time. I was really caught up in all the Sci-Fi storylines and then the last season said "It wasn't about that it was all about the characters".

Tanja
01-26-2013, 01:33 AM
It's official! Disney issued a Press release. :)

J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII, the first of a new series of Star Wars films to come from Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy. Abrams will be directing and Academy Award-winning writer Michael Arndt will write the screenplay.

Its very exciting to have J.J. aboard leading the charge as we set off to make a new Star Wars movie, said Kennedy. J.J. is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise. He understands the essence of the Star Wars experience, and will bring that talent to create an unforgettable motion picture.

George Lucas went on to say Ive consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller. Hes an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldnt be in better hands.

To be a part of the next chapter of the Star Wars saga, to collaborate with Kathy Kennedy and this remarkable group of people, is an absolute honor, J.J. Abrams said. I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid.

J.J., his longtime producing partner Bryan Burk, and Bad Robot are on board to produce along with Kathleen Kennedy under the Disney | Lucasfilm banner.

Also consulting on the project are Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg. Kasdan has a long history with Lucasfilm, as screenwriter on The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Return of the Jedi. Kinberg was writer on Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Read more here:
http://www.slashfilm.com/disney-issues-press-release-confirming-j-j-abrams-for-star-wars-episode-vii/

CHWolf
01-26-2013, 01:44 AM
Hey, J.J. Abrams liked science fiction films as a kid?!

Comix Obsession
01-26-2013, 11:24 PM
I don't know how to feel about this. My only real issue with the choice is that it seems a little lazy. Hollywood is slowly growing smaller - there seems to be little room for new talent to grow and as such it's becoming like a group of friends trading movies with each other. We get it, Star Trek was a success, so this director could probably make that other Sci-Fi series a success, too, right?

That gripe aside, I loved the Star Trek movie. I thought it was absolutely fantastic. I just think that J.J. Abrams is a 'name' more than anything, and I'm not sure if he's the right name to attach to this product. Cloverfield was interesting the first time, but terrible after that. I gave up on Lost. Super 8 was fun but ultimately lacking, and Star Trek was amazing. So whilst I am excited, and I am, I'm also not holding my breath that this will make the Star Wars fan in me think more films is a good thing. But because of Star Trek, I do have a lot more hope than I did after The Phantom Menace.

Co.Inkadink
01-27-2013, 12:23 AM
Super 8 was fun but ultimately lacking.
I loved Super 8. I thought it was really good.

Moonrider
01-27-2013, 08:52 AM
Let's just hope there won't be that much lens flare in it. And I really don't want Lindelof to take any part in this.

Angel
01-29-2013, 07:09 PM
I hope he at least fixes one thing that has bugged me for so long...

MAKE C-3PO's KNEES AND ELBOWS WORK!

I thought Anakin was supposed to be good at fixing things wtf? They have all this crazy cool technology back in the past but they can't seem to articulate C-3PO's elbows and knees.

CHWolf
01-29-2013, 07:48 PM
They worked.

He just over-used them.

DeimosComics
02-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Hollywood is slowly growing smaller -

I agree, but on the other hand if I were Disney I would make a similar choice.

Star Wars is THE IP... it has Avatar box office potential if done right. If I were in charge I wouldn't experiment with THE ABSOLUTE IP. I'd put in the helm someone proven to eliminate the risk.

We are talking about a billion dollar revenue and that's just for starters. Hell I'd even shoot anyone new trying to approach the gig.

Star Wars is not a break for new names.

And I loved the lens flares :) My my, lightsabers will look so shiny!

CHWolf
02-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Speaking of - James Cameron's Star Wars.

Chew that over for a bit.