PDA

View Full Version : Industry Standard Lettering Page Rates & Logo Rates

FreemindVisionary
01-24-2013, 12:26 PM
I know some consider it crass to inquire how much one makes, and I know the simplest answer is "enough to make it worth your time and still have the client hire you" but I'm trying to get some idea of what the general page rates are around the industry to make sure my expectations are in line with the market.

A look through the Help Wanted section of the forums shows people offering as little as $2.50/page, which is admittedly better than those offering nothing, but seems woefully low, even for indie rates.

When asked what my page rate is, I start $15 and try not to go any lower than $12. I've made as much as $20 (once) and I've gone as low as $10 (for a steady webcomic gig with a creator I've established a good working relationship with.) I think I'm in the right ballpark for where I'm at now, but would like to hear some feedback from you guys who've been at this for a bit.

While we're on the subject of rates, what about logos? Depending on complexity, I think the range is $50-$200. And how many revisions do you go through before bringing up an increase?

HdE
01-24-2013, 12:53 PM
$2.50 per page, for a letterer putting out publishable work, IS woeful.

I personally have resolved not to accept less than $11.00 per page - and I'm regularly told my work is worth more. If a client wants good quality work, then I want to be paid a decent wage. Fair's fair.

HOWEVER - sometimes, there's wisdom in looking at a project and asking yourself if it's worth accepting less for something that might be fun, could put you in contact with people, or might just be something you'd like to have your name attached to.

My advice is: NEVER be shy about stating your rates to a client and NEVER be seen to apologise for them. While it's true that nobody buys a book for the lettering, we letterers do a geat deal to ensure that the final product is readable and communicates everything properly that it needs to. If we're doing that properly, and bringing creativity into it as well, then we're worth FAR more than $2.50 per page.

lordmagnusen
01-24-2013, 01:21 PM
HdE speaks the wisdom.

ojollands
01-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Hde is talking good sense here - just to address the logo question you also need to bare in mind what the logo will be used for and adjust your pricing. If you're designing a logo for a once use on a graphic novel for instance this would be less valuable than a logo that is to be a companies entire brand and used across many different mediums.

Keep in mind as well that you have the right to essentially price depending on the rights that you grant the client. So you could for instance create a company logo for less but only sell them the rights to use the logo on the specific comic publication retaining merchandising rights etc... for yourself.

Logo's are very valuable if you are good at creating them so don't undersell yourself.

t_orzechowski
01-26-2013, 07:34 PM
For logos, an ongoing series piece for a solid publisher ought to be worth $500. Before you can feel justified in asking that much, be sure you're really good in relation to everything else that's out there, and that what you're offering shows some original thought. I usually offer three treatments, and will fine-tune it a couple of times if needed. The client may offer a suggested treatment in the interest of paying a low rate, but those treatments aren't necessarily any help at all. It's hard to generalize when it comes to working with clients on logos, largely because everyone's budgets are so tight. Give 'em what they're happy with and do your best to see that you like it too. Have a solid price in mind, at least $200, and don't give in.

Page rates are insanely varied. No one ought to accept $2.50, unless it will be possible to do four or five an hour. That's the metric to consider: how much can you make in a working day, not how much is being paid per page. Ideally, you want to be getting at least $10/pg. I work for one place at $10 because I'm getting three 50-page quarterlies from them, and they go quickly. The price you ask has to include considerations of how complicated the script is. If there are special dialogue styles, a lot of characters or a lot of sound effects, you'll be spending more time per page. This may all sound obvious to us, but editors/publishers need to hear about it, particularly if the deadline is nuts.

Comics Commando
02-02-2013, 02:14 AM
just to address the logo question you also need to [bear] in mind what the logo will be used for and adjust your pricing.

======================

Completely disagree.

If it takes me just as long to create a one-time Graphic Novel logo as it does to create a series logo that will appear on 38 issues--or 107 issues--I get the same rate.

'Course you could, in theory, offer to cheat or cut corners on a one-time graphic novel logo BEFORE you start if the client wants to save money. This can be negotiated, of course. But a logo is a logo. I don't care how often it's used--or if it's ever used, frankly. I get paid for my time--not for how often it's used--that's the publisher's business--not mine.

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart@gmail.com

ojollands
02-02-2013, 05:15 AM
But a logo is a logo. I don't care how often it's used--or if it's ever used, frankly. I get paid for my time--not for how often it's used--that's the publisher's business--not mine.

I'm not referring just to a logo for use on a book though. It's logical to assume that the logo question pertains to more than just graphic novel titles. If you would charge the same to rebrand the DC company logo as you would to head up my own independent one time OGN then you're selling yourself short by thousands of dollars.

I'd agree that developing a title logo for a book is a title logo for a book, so you'd be looking at a specific price range for that type of job, but logo's are not the same as pages of a comic. If you don't consider licensing rights then you cut down on the flexibility you're able to offer a client on price and also your own ability to monetise your time and ability.