PDA

View Full Version : Cloud Atlas

Angel
01-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Did anyone watch Cloud Atlas? Why didn't this movie seem to "take"? I was fully immersed and entertained by it, but there doesnt seem to be much discussion about it. Almost everything about this movie screamed scifi masterpiece with a few exceptions. I also like how seemingly sequel proof this story was...simply a long open and closed story.

Anyone?

Justice41
01-23-2013, 09:07 PM
Did anyone watch Cloud Atlas? Why didn't this movie seem to "take"? I was fully immersed and entertained by it, but there doesnt seem to be much discussion about it. Almost everything about this movie screamed scifi masterpiece with a few exceptions. I also like how seemingly sequel proof this story was...simply a long open and closed story.

Anyone?

Long is the operational word. Throw boring behind it.

Angel
01-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Schay whuh? Boring is relative anyways...ha! I mean I found "The Tree of Life" boring...and Wishmaster boring while other people found The Dark Knight and Avatar boring...

Jasen Smith
01-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Schay whuh? Boring is relative anyways...ha! I mean I found "The Tree of Life" boring...and Wishmaster boring while other people found The Dark Knight and Avatar boring...

What he means to say is, he hates every movie.

Biofungus
01-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Is this the one where everyone has like 5 parts, each being his/her own descendant/ancestor?

Justice41
01-24-2013, 01:07 AM
Yeah and bad makeup jobs. Especially when they made the Caucasian only Asian. No Cauc. Halle playing a white chick was a real stretch but at least we got some Japanese titties.

Aaron Walther
01-24-2013, 01:28 AM
I thought the movie was an editing masterpiece.

I think the movie didn't take because the advertising for it was terrible and the trailer made it look like a haughty, new age, karmic reincarnation lecture about learning to be a nice person, which I found to be in minimal part of the film, if it was even present at all.

Though I am a big fan of Tom Hanks in certain roles, there was a lot of impressive acting from a group of actors that I generally don't have much interest in. Everybody is pretty great in all their different roles, but Jim Broadbent really stole the film. His 2012 story was fantastic.

I definitely preferred Tom Tykwer's segments more than the Wakowski's, but they still both worked well together. I really liked the anti-establishment themes, as well as the linking of art to self improvement and education, and tying all the segments together through writings.

It was one of my favorite films of the year. The last segment, Tom Hank's big segment, really hurt the film, though. I didn't mind all the jargon and broken slang talk, but it was clearly off putting to lots of people, and if you aren't committed to the film it sounds really silly.

Despite that, I really loved the film because it was actually trying to be different and challenging while still being completely engaging. I thought the emotional pay off was huge. I haven't really felt this way watching a movie since watching "Synecdoche, New York" by Charlie Kaufman (though I enjoyed Cloud Atlas much more).

It's basically the exact opposite of James Cameron's Avatar.

Aaron Walther
01-24-2013, 01:36 AM
Is this the one where everyone has like 5 parts, each being his/her own descendant/ancestor?

This was a common perception about the film, one which I don't think is entirely accurate.

I felt that the recurring actors were more of a symbolic, visual representation of the theme that ideas and actions are repetitive throughout human history and cultures.

I haven't read the book, so I don't know if the author originally intended the characters to be reincarnated spirits or descendents, but I don't think it's necessary to the story of the film.

Comix Obsession
01-24-2013, 01:42 AM
Yeah and bad makeup jobs. Especially when they made the Caucasian only Asian. No Cauc. Halle playing a white chick was a real stretch but at least we got some Japanese titties.

You mean like Doona Bae being made up as an English woman? Or are you referring to the excellent job of turning Jim Sturgess into a convincing Japanese man? Did you even watch this film?

Doona Bae is Korean, not Japanese.

Quotes like this are why I never bothered posting about it. Saw it at the beginning of December and loved every minute of it. Digital Webbing is not a forum for discussing movies like this, because all you're gonna get is Justice complaining about the movie despite never having seen it, and various other members complaining about the CGI or the fact that the effects weren't good.

I'll agree with the OP - I really was fully immersed in the story and will be buying it on Blu-ray the day it comes out. It isn't released until Feb/March in England, but I live abroad and was able to catch it early, so proud that I did. Great story, great characters, and a really interesting take on the future, as well as the overall theme of reincarnation and intertwining lives. It leaves a lot to be thought about, and I still can't believe it's made by the Wachowskis after their Matrix Trilogy nearly broke cinema forever. Aside from a couple of moments of clunky dialogue (and nothing that really stood out), the Wachowskis have outdone themselves.

Jasen Smith
01-24-2013, 02:18 AM
It leaves a lot to be thought about, and I still can't believe it's made by the Wachowskis after their Matrix Trilogy nearly broke cinema forever. Aside from a couple of moments of clunky dialogue (and nothing that really stood out), the Wachowskis have outdone themselves.

Hello, they brought us Bound.:slap:

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
01-24-2013, 09:19 AM
I want to see it, but will probably have to wait until it is out on DVD. No one else I know wants to see it with me. :(

Buckyrig
01-24-2013, 10:28 AM
I haven't really felt this way watching a movie since watching "Synecdoche, New York" by Charlie Kaufman (though I enjoyed Cloud Atlas much more).

So the movie made you feel like you had been painting in a closed room all day? Because Synechdoche, New York was very :blink: .

Comix Obsession
01-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Hello, they brought us Bound.:slap:

And Bound was very good - but Cloud Atlas is far removed from that film. I chose the Matrix trilogy because it was their most recent work, and comparable in depth to Cloud Atlas.

Justice41
01-24-2013, 12:25 PM
I watched most of the flick at least up till Hanks and Halle saved Hanks Kid from whatever it was the kid had. Hanks as a ruffian book writer was so stupid. Did like him tossing the critic out the window though.
And no the makeup jobs weren't good at all especially that white guy being turned japanese but looked Klingonese.

Aaron Walther
01-24-2013, 12:35 PM
So the movie made you feel like you had been painting in a closed room all day? Because Synechdoche, New York was very :blink: .

Yeah, except Cloud Atlas didn't go in for any of the surrealism that Synechodche, New York did, and is therefore much more accessible.

Both movies are very visual. There's a lot "going on" on the screen and little visual metaphors in every scene. That's the only place I'd draw the comparison, that and in a broad sense both films were developments of the individual's psyche. Whereas Synechoche was about how a man's solipsistic psyche is destroyed and overcome by his own creative ambition, Cloud Atlas was about the human race as a collection of individuals who must go through a self actualization.

In that sense, it also reminded me of Neon Genesis Evangelion, if you're into that sort of thing.

cheeseisgood1918
01-24-2013, 04:34 PM
It's basically the exact opposite of James Cameron's Avatar.

And there's the endorsement that will make me watch it. Seriously. Avatar blew.