PDA

View Full Version : Criterion Collection

Steven Forbes
01-23-2013, 02:40 AM
These are supposed to be the best movies have to offer.

I like the idea of it, but I don't know if I'm willing to plunk down the amount of money they're asking for the movies. I mean, I don't yet own Rosemary's Baby (and they were Satanists, not witches...and don't all Christians believe in Satan as a foregone conclusion, anyway? And aren't all Christians and Muslims Jewish, anyway? Off topic...), but I don't think I'm willing to spend $25 for the Criterion version of it.

What do all of you think?

Biofungus
01-23-2013, 03:14 PM
I think you started two VERY different discussions there :D If it's new, I just say wait a bit. It'll come down in price soon enough. The people who REALLY want it will pay 25 bucks, then when the sales slow, they'll lower the price to entice the people like you who 'kinda want it' but not willing to pay that price.

If you're really patient, eventually it will be in the bargain bin for people who say, "oh hey, I heard it was a good movie. Never saw it though. Look at that, 5 bucks. Cheaper to buy it than to rent it." :D

Co.Inkadink
01-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Rosemary's Baby was the first movie I think to be made without a strict code, I can't remember what it was called but it was removed in 68 and paved the way for these types of Horror movies. I've heard mixed reviews on it and I've seen part of when I was a kid, it seemed boring. Lord of the Flies is a criterion one and it is very good the 63 version. If you like scary movies of that era The Omen and The Exorcist are both pretty scary, so scary I'll never watch either of them again.

and as for your second topic.
And aren't all Christians and Muslims Jewish, anyway?Sure, we're all exactly the same. But I think you need to go ask several Muslims about their Jewishness. Make sure they see the sincerity in your eyes. Draw a picture of Mohammed too! They like that.

Steven Forbes
01-23-2013, 04:08 PM
I think you started two VERY different discussions there :D

Yeah, I know. I couldn't resist. :whistlin:

If it's new, I just say wait a bit. It'll come down in price soon enough. The people who REALLY want it will pay 25 bucks, then when the sales slow, they'll lower the price to entice the people like you who 'kinda want it' but not willing to pay that price.

If you're really patient, eventually it will be in the bargain bin for people who say, "oh hey, I heard it was a good movie. Never saw it though. Look at that, 5 bucks. Cheaper to buy it than to rent it." :D

I don't think so. Not the Criterion version. Not unless Wal-Mart bought a ton of them and decided to put them on clearance.

They come loaded with extras, but I'm not sure they're worth it. Maybe the quality of the movie itself, but I'm used to paying a cheap price for multiple movies. (Still waiting to get The Thing From Another World and The Day The Earth Stood Still in a two- or four-pack for about five bucks.)

I don't know. Maybe I'm asking for too much.

Co.Inkadink
01-23-2013, 05:26 PM
I think you started two VERY different discussions there
Yeah, I know. I couldn't resist. :whistlin
So let's talk about it then. I'm a Christian and it's exactly like being a Jew, I was just headed up to the Temple to sacrifice a Turtledove to Jehovah, later I'm going to have some unleavened bread and repent in sackcloth and ashes.

Let's talk about it.

CHWolf
01-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Sure, it's not all EXACTLY the same when you get down to brass tacks - but on the whole it's all similarly stupid.

Co.Inkadink
01-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Sure, it's not all EXACTLY the same when you get down to brass tacks - but on the whole it's all similarly stupid.

Hey Wolfy? would you like to have a real decent debate? Just me and you in Chit Chat, lay some ground rules like stay on topic and no name calling? If you want to let me know, we can both pick 3 topics and decide on the best one to debate. If the mods approve it will be civil and maybe educational.

Co.Inkadink
01-23-2013, 07:57 PM
I just don't wish to keep sidetracking Steve's threads.

CHWolf
01-24-2013, 01:19 AM
Hey Wolfy? would you like to have a real decent debate? Just me and you in Chit Chat, lay some ground rules like stay on topic and no name calling? If you want to let me know, we can both pick 3 topics and decide on the best one to debate. If the mods approve it will be civil and maybe educational.

Yeah, I think I mentioned something like this once before.

As long as I'm not required to put in X amount of time and whatnot, just from the standpoint of not knowing what the future holds, then I have no problem with it.

Comix Obsession
01-24-2013, 01:43 AM

Wouldn't this be a massive waste of time? What do you two have to offer on the subject that can't be read a million times over elsewhere?

Co.Inkadink
01-24-2013, 01:48 AM
Wouldn't this be a massive waste of time? What do you two have to offer on the subject that can't be read a million times over elsewhere?

Who invited ^him^?

I mean really? We have threads about the stupidest stuff in the universe here, why not have a decent debate about something? What do you mean subject? We haven't chose one yet?

Y'know you don't have to click on the thread?

Co.Inkadink
01-24-2013, 02:06 AM
Yeah, I think I mentioned something like this once before.

As long as I'm not required to put in X amount of time and whatnot, just from the standpoint of not knowing what the future holds, then I have no problem with it.

Agreed. Let's check with the mods to make everything ship shape and lay some ground rules. The first being it will just be a debate between you and I. Other people will chime in "there's no way to prevent it" and if it becomes a problem I'll just put them on ignore til were done. So only questions and comments from you will I respond to. You can take as much or as little time as you want. If you want to take off for a while just say so and we'll stop. And agree to be civil, no name calling or personal insults just adress the issues. You pick a few topics and PM me and I'll you and we'll decide.

CHWolf
01-24-2013, 02:54 AM
We might want to go Oxford style -- or just loosely similar to it.

Person one, Person two, Person one, Person two - Then answer replies/questions, then finish and open up discussion.

That way there's an actual beginning and end to the thing, with a fair "1, 2, 1, 2" thing.

I'd say there should be a moderator with questions for each "side", but that'd be asking a bit much.

Co.Inkadink
01-24-2013, 03:21 AM
We might want to go Oxford style -- or just loosely similar to it.

Person one, Person two, Person one, Person two - Then answer replies/questions, then finish and open up discussion.

That way there's an actual beginning and end to the thing, with a fair "1, 2, 1, 2" thing.

I'd say there should be a moderator with questions for each "side", but that'd be asking a bit much.

I'd rather not have a Mod. If you would star a thread in chit chat with these rules so we can get out of here. I would do it but I'm at work on my IPod.

Buckyrig
01-24-2013, 10:24 AM

If those are the requirements, the overwhelming bulk of humanity needs to take a vow of silence.

Comix Obsession
01-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Who invited ^him^?

I mean really? We have threads about the stupidest stuff in the universe here, why not have a decent debate about something? What do you mean subject? We haven't chose one yet?

Y'know you don't have to click on the thread?

This is an open forum, though I apologise for being a douche about it. I just don't see why you and CHWolf need to have a 'private' debate in Chit-Chat. Surely you could stick to emails or PM each other? I wouldn't have much issue with it except you're talking about putting other people on ignore and don't want moderators to weigh in. Still, I agree, it would be nice to have an interesting discussion on these boards - so long as it doesn't escalate into smugness too quickly.

Co.Inkadink
01-24-2013, 04:30 PM
This is an open forum, though I apologise for being a douche about it. I just don't see why you and CHWolf need to have a 'private' debate in Chit-Chat. Surely you could stick to emails or PM each other? I wouldn't have much issue with it except you're talking about putting other people on ignore and don't want moderators to weigh in. Still, I agree, it would be nice to have an interesting discussion on these boards - so long as it doesn't escalate into smugness too quickly.

I don't know if you remember when I used to try and debate in the past it always became me vs everyone else on the Forum. I'll tell you right now no one will share my opinion and a lot of people will share CH's opinion and that's fine. I just don't want to be sidetracked by 20 people asking questions. If other people have questions maybe we can have other debate threads. It used to be very confusing as to who asked what and where it was going. I've been on other forums as well where it was a pile on especially on a thorny issue. Any way I've learned how to debate in a much more gracious manner and want to gain understanding not just win.

Moonrider
01-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Sure, we're all exactly the same. But I think you need to go ask several Muslims about their Jewishness.

Ask away.

Draw a picture of Mohammed too! They like that.

Sure. I mean, there are like thousands of Mohammed in this world. One of them is bound to like being drawn.

Seriously I'm not at all offended with all this, I just regret your lack of comedic talent.

Buckyrig
01-24-2013, 10:01 PM
I don't know if you remember when I used to try and debate in the past it always became me vs everyone else on the Forum.

It's never been your general position that's isolated you though. There are plenty of other Christians on the board, some quite familiar with apologetics. It was always the way you engaged.

And while there were those on the board who would automatically become derisive as one of the arguments started, others who might become derisive, like Kep, had to be provoked before they got nasty about it.

Co.Inkadink
01-25-2013, 02:24 AM
It's never been your general position that's isolated you though. There are plenty of other Christians on the board, some quite familiar with apologetics. It was always the way you engaged.

And while there were those on the board who would automatically become derisive as one of the arguments started, others who might become derisive, like Kep, had to be provoked before they got nasty about it.

Nothing personal but you weren't here in the early 2000s and Kep and I had a long history then. He and a few more were very confrontational out of the gate. I could mention 3 topics right now that I am for and if it were open for discussion I would receive a scourging before I even made my point. To be fair though I was inexperienced in apologetics and debate then and allowed myself to get baited into foolish arguments. I often let my emotions get the best of me. I honestly would like to have a good discussion now. I even say if it does come to insults between me and the other person that it should just be locked and I won't ask again.
What I don't want is a debate with 20 people. I just want to debate one a thread. If other people want to start separate threads but it has to be a topic we agree on.

Comix Obsession
01-25-2013, 05:12 AM
I don't know if you remember when I used to try and debate in the past it always became me vs everyone else on the Forum. I'll tell you right now no one will share my opinion and a lot of people will share CH's opinion and that's fine.

I don't remember. I don't even know if I was here then - but if I was, I probably wasn't paying much attention - Chit-Chat has always been full of threads that only people on this forum get, and only people on this forum find funny. It's why the site is failing to attract anyone new.

As for anyone siding with CHWolf... :har:

I often let my emotions get the best of me. I honestly would like to have a good discussion now. I even say if it does come to insults between me and the other person that it should just be locked and I won't ask again.

Then why the Hell are you asking CHWolf for a debate? He's easily one of the worst people to debate anything with here. He'll get your ire up before you've gotten past the first page!

What I don't want is a debate with 20 people. I just want to debate one a thread. If other people want to start separate threads but it has to be a topic we agree on.

Again, why not do this privately between yourselves?

Co.Inkadink
01-25-2013, 05:38 AM
I'm at work on my IPod and can't quote properly. Anyway bottom line is I just want to. I hear what you're saying about CHWolf but why not? And it might lead to other discussions that are interesting as well. I lurk on another comic forum where they have these discussions and it's quite interesting.
Maybe other people would like to discuss things. I really want to develope my skills and I think it might be beneficial.

Steven Forbes
01-25-2013, 05:48 AM
Hey, how about those Criterion Collection movie prices, huh? Are they expensive or what?

Co.Inkadink
01-25-2013, 06:36 AM
Hey, how about those Criterion Collection movie prices, huh? Are they expensive or what?

Pretty steep.

Sorry Steve I suggested moving this conversation but it just kept going.

CHWolf
01-25-2013, 04:00 PM
What's a Cirterions?