PDA

View Full Version : Could I get a quick lettering/logo Critique?

NicShaw
01-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Hey y'all!
I've just started lettering and using Adobe Illustrator and I would like to get a few pointers! So for a little background. I started my own book this year I got to lettering it and found I really enjoyed it!
I'd really like to get into lettering professionally and start taking work from all of you pro's on here!

I don't have any history with Illustrator, I own 'Comic Book Lettering the Comic Craft Way'. I'll also be doing an Illustrator course later this year.

If you could take a look at my work and let me know what I need to work on, what's good, etc.

One is a logo for 'Extreme X-Men' the other is a lettered script which was actually quite hard, as there was a lot of speech needed in such a small amount of dead space. I pulled both of these from a closed forum for lettering activities on here, here is the link:

http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129182

Thanks in advance!

-Nic Shaw

Logo:

http://imageshack.us/a/img189/1784/45175413.jpg

Page:

http://imageshack.us/a/img266/1613/letteringprac1.png

Piekos
01-20-2013, 09:29 AM
The logo isn't bad, but it's a bit plain. Bordering on "Just a font" as opposed to a logo. The negative space in the center of the E gives the impression that the kerning between the E and N is too wide. Also, the angles of the letters aren't consistent. The top left arm of the X is rounded slightly whereas every other point is...pointed.

As far as the lettering of the page, there's a lot of work that needs to be done there.

1) There are no crossbar I's in the middle of words. They're for the personal pronoun "I" only, (with occasional exception for acronyms.) One such personal pronoun "I" appears in panel 3's dialogue, but you used the straight line I for it.

2) There's no rhyme or reason to your balloon layout. The eye is going up, down and all around all the panels, instead of following a smooth pattern; left to right, top to bottom. I have no idea who is speaking first, second, third, etc.

3) The amount of negative space in your balloons isn't consistent.

4) You're overlapping panel borders with balloons everywhere when you could butt them against the panel borders.

5) The shape of your dialogue isn't stacked in comfortable diamond/oval shapes, and the line spacing is a bit wide.

6) Some of your balloon tails are flat instead of pointed, and the distance between the balloon and speaker is inconsistent. Also, the tails should point to a speaker's mouth. And the widths of your tails are inconsistent; some very wide, others very narrow.

7) Your SFX in the bottom left panel seems to indicate fire, but I'm not sure that's what's happening there.

On the plus side, the punctuation is there and mostly correct. Although you have a space before a double dash in one instance and no space in another. In comics, double dashes and ellipses have no space before or after.

Here's my article on comic grammar, which may be of some help:
http://www.blambot.com/grammar.shtml

Other folks here may provide more points, but it's a start.

~N

CHWolf
01-20-2013, 04:05 PM
On the logo, my favorite bit of logo advice to give is to approach logos like any other comic art. Do the "pencils" first... the black and white arrangement... and make THAT look interesting and unique. Only after your "pencils" are done should you then approach colors.

Bishop
01-20-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm not a letterer, but as a reader I would find these pages offensive just due to the fact that your word balloons cover up most of the artwork. I don't buy a book for the letters...

NicShaw
01-21-2013, 12:25 AM
The logo isn't bad, but it's a bit plain. Bordering on "Just a font" as opposed to a logo. The negative space in the center of the E gives the impression that the kerning between the E and N is too wide. Also, the angles of the letters aren't consistent. The top left arm of the X is rounded slightly whereas every other point is...pointed.

As far as the lettering of the page, there's a lot of work that needs to be done there.

1) There are no crossbar I's in the middle of words. They're for the personal pronoun "I" only, (with occasional exception for acronyms.) One such personal pronoun "I" appears in panel 3's dialogue, but you used the straight line I for it.

2) There's no rhyme or reason to your balloon layout. The eye is going up, down and all around all the panels, instead of following a smooth pattern; left to right, top to bottom. I have no idea who is speaking first, second, third, etc.

3) The amount of negative space in your balloons isn't consistent.

4) You're overlapping panel borders with balloons everywhere when you could butt them against the panel borders.

5) The shape of your dialogue isn't stacked in comfortable diamond/oval shapes, and the line spacing is a bit wide.

6) Some of your balloon tails are flat instead of pointed, and the distance between the balloon and speaker is inconsistent. Also, the tails should point to a speaker's mouth. And the widths of your tails are inconsistent; some very wide, others very narrow.

7) Your SFX in the bottom left panel seems to indicate fire, but I'm not sure that's what's happening there.

On the plus side, the punctuation is there and mostly correct. Although you have a space before a double dash in one instance and no space in another. In comics, double dashes and ellipses have no space before or after.

Here's my article on comic grammar, which may be of some help:
http://www.blambot.com/grammar.shtml

Other folks here may provide more points, but it's a start.

~N

Thank's so much for the reply!

I copied and pasted from the script without checking the "I's". The font I used does have both, I'll make sure to type, or at least check a script before I put it to Illustrator.

I felt the script was poorly written when combined with the art. There is a lot of speech with in those first two panels that I just couldn't get it to fit. Without covering up to much art.

Is there a way to make sure my balloons are evenly spaced?

For the tails, would it be better to work from just one set of tails? Or is there a good way to make sure everything is sharp and consistent?

The script called for a flaming sound effect even though there was no fire in the art.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I'll definitely take all your constructive criticism on board, and I'll be sure to check out your article!

NicShaw
01-21-2013, 12:27 AM
On the logo, my favorite bit of logo advice to give is to approach logos like any other comic art. Do the "pencils" first... the black and white arrangement... and make THAT look interesting and unique. Only after your "pencils" are done should you then approach colors.

After looking at a few other X-Men logos I noticed that the most used ones are quite simple, which is what I was trying to go for. It was also my first time at using the 'mask' tool in illustrator.
Next time I think I'll start even slower and really get down the shapes and layout before I start messing with other aspects like colour, etc.
Thanks so much for your advice!

NicShaw
01-21-2013, 12:29 AM
I'm not a letterer, but as a reader I would find these pages offensive just due to the fact that your word balloons cover up most of the artwork. I don't buy a book for the letters...

Unfortunately I'd put that down to me being quite amateurish, and the script being quite heavy on speech, when the art could have done most of the talking. Thanks for the reply, and the criticism, I'll be sure to take it on board.

Jeff LeBlanc
01-21-2013, 01:48 AM
The FWOOSH that's called for in the script is for the dude who's flaming on in the background. The prominence you've given it makes it look like it's something to do with lifting the car.

I'm no fan of the script, but part of the challenge for these exercises is to make it work as written. This page is especially challenging on a number of fronts, but it *is* doable.

Check the size of your text and the line spacing. Try printing your page out at actual comic book size and compare it to an actual comic. You'll see what I mean.

Ditto on everything Nate said, especially about layout. Make the reading order crystal clear. Check out this page from Todd Klein for some solid tips:

http://kleinletters.com/BalloonPlacement.html

Keeping on trying, though. I'd suggest trying some straightforward pages without any showoff-y effects, multiple styles of speech bubbles, ransom note changes in font from one character to the next. Those are really hard to unify if you haven't got the basics under your belt yet. The basics are complex enough to start with. Take some simple dialogue scenes and work on:

(a) layout, placement, flow, and line of action <== Most important for clear storytelling!
(b) text stacking within the balloon
(c) consistent and pleasing balloon and tail shapes
(d) font size, line spacing, and the breathing space between the text block and the balloon edge

(Also, this may be just me, but I'm not a big fan of that "text busting out of the balloon" trick from the Comicraft guide.)

NicShaw
01-21-2013, 02:14 AM
The FWOOSH that's called for in the script is for the dude who's flaming on in the background. The prominence you've given it makes it look like it's something to do with lifting the car.

I'm no fan of the script, but part of the challenge for these exercises is to make it work as written. This page is especially challenging on a number of fronts, but it *is* doable.

Check the size of your text and the line spacing. Try printing your page out at actual comic book size and compare it to an actual comic. You'll see what I mean.

Ditto on everything Nate said, especially about layout. Make the reading order crystal clear. Check out this page from Todd Klein for some solid tips:

http://kleinletters.com/BalloonPlacement.html

Keeping on trying, though. I'd suggest trying some straightforward pages without any showoff-y effects, multiple styles of speech bubbles, ransom note changes in font from one character to the next. Those are really hard to unify if you haven't got the basics under your belt yet. The basics are complex enough to start with. Take some simple dialogue scenes and work on:

(a) layout, placement, flow, and line of action <== Most important for clear storytelling!
(b) text stacking within the balloon
(c) consistent and pleasing balloon and tail shapes
(d) font size, line spacing, and the breathing space between the text block and the balloon edge

(Also, this may be just me, but I'm not a big fan of that "text busting out of the balloon" trick from the Comicraft guide.)

Thanks Jeff!
I'm trying to find a few more activities like this around the net. Do you know of any? Because these have been pretty great so far!

I'm going over this page again right now, I'm butting, and trying to make things flow a little more smoothly.

I'll make sure to check out that link as well!

Thanks again!

NicShaw
01-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Here is a second attempt at the same page.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/331/65959760.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/171/65959760.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

I've taken some advice, and put it into practice here. Like butting, sharper tails, letter stacking, I fixed the "I's", and I had a go at fixing the onomatopoeia in the bottom left corner. I still haven't gotten the balloon placement correct. It still feels very scattered, and it doesn't flow like it should (Thanks again for that link Jeff!)

lordmagnusen
01-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Much, much better. You still need to work a bit on your balloon shapes, as these look a bit clipart-ey, but this is a very big improvement over your first attempt.

NicShaw
01-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Much, much better. You still need to work a bit on your balloon shapes, as these look a bit clipart-ey, but this is a very big improvement over your first attempt.

Thanks very much! I think I'm going to move on from this activity and start with something a little more basic. Get some fundamentals (like balloon shapes) and then go from there!

Bishop
01-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Definitely an improvement! There is still too much negative space in some of your balloons. Also, I'm not sure about the coloring in some of the balloons. My eye is immediately drawn to that instead of flowing through the rest of the page, but that could be due to the artwork not being colored yet.

The bubble with "Eat Aerostar..." seems like it should come out as forceful, but the skinniness of the letter combined with the negative space of the bubble minimizes its impact. You may want to re-think how you've done that one.

NicShaw
01-22-2013, 05:35 AM
Definitely an improvement! There is still too much negative space in some of your balloons. Also, I'm not sure about the coloring in some of the balloons. My eye is immediately drawn to that instead of flowing through the rest of the page, but that could be due to the artwork not being colored yet.

The bubble with "Eat Aerostar..." seems like it should come out as forceful, but the skinniness of the letter combined with the negative space of the bubble minimizes its impact. You may want to re-think how you've done that one.

Thank's Bishop!
I'll be sure to watch out for to much "air" in my balloons on the next page I try!
Thank you all for your helpful advice!

-Nic

NicShaw
01-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Here is another activity that I just completed; It's just the basics, with not too much going on. I think I handled it okay.

I've made sure to take on board the advice given to me (like having to much "air" in my balloons).
I've also created different balloons to what I was using before.
I used the technique I got from Ninja Lettering's Youtube page to add a little bit of a "professional shape" to the balloon. I really do think it looks a lot nicer than what I was previously doing.
Like LordMagnusen said they looked a bit "clip-arty"

I also think that I've created a nice flow that draws the eye around the art, rather than jumping all over the place and taking you out of the scene.

Thanks for all the help guys, it's really, really appreciated!

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/733/fantomaxactivity.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/827/fantomaxactivity.jpg/)

lordmagnusen
01-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Flow here is good... I'm not a fan of the font you've used, but that's just personal. You should, however, leave a bit more breathing room in the balloon and caption boxes, around the text, but it's not "wrong" per se to do as you did.

Do try to place captions a bit further from the page edges. Just a tad.

Jeff LeBlanc
01-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Font size still seems huge to me and the lines of text are almost double-spaced. Seriously, print these up at the actual size of a comic and compare it with another book. You'll see the difference right away. (Not crazy about the font either.)

Piekos
01-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Those crossbar I's are still popping up in your lettering.

~N

NicShaw
01-22-2013, 03:41 PM
Flow here is good... I'm not a fan of the font you've used, but that's just personal. You should, however, leave a bit more breathing room in the balloon and caption boxes, around the text, but it's not "wrong" per se to do as you did.

Do try to place captions a bit further from the page edges. Just a tad.

Okay, cool so this is too much "Air" now I know where to sort of draw the line! Yeah it's just a free font that I grabbed, I might buy some fonts this week I think ...

Font size still seems huge to me and the lines of text are almost double-spaced. Seriously, print these up at the actual size of a comic and compare it with another book. You'll see the difference right away. (Not crazy about the font either.)

Just printed it out and I can see what you mean.
I'm a little confused as to what I should work at, I downloaded a template with the dimensions of what a book should be worked on, and then you read that you should work at a size 12 font, which is way too big! So I cut it down a little and everything looks too small.

I'll get there!

Those crossbar I's are still popping up in your lettering.~N

Just noticed that ... and in the last panel too! That's frustrating ...

Thanks again for all the advice folks!

NicShaw
01-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Those crossbar I's are still popping up in your lettering.

~N

Nope in the second panel as well! *Sigh* dang ...

Piekos
01-22-2013, 04:42 PM
There's no such thing as a standard point size for any font. 12 point in one font does not correlate exactly to 12 point in another font.

~N

NicShaw
01-22-2013, 07:21 PM
There's no such thing as a standard point size for any font. 12 point in one font does not correlate exactly to 12 point in another font.

~N

Good to know! I'll be sure to watch out for it in the future!

Evan Henry
01-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Just noticed that ... and in the last panel too! That's frustrating ...

Thanks again for all the advice folks!

Take care of this in the script before you paste the dialogue into the page.

Ctrl+H, type "I" in the 'Find' field and "i" in the 'Replace with' field. Then repeat with " i " in the 'Find' field and " I " in the 'Replace with' field (including spaces). Take care of contractions by doing it again, this time with "i'" (eye-apostrophe) in the 'Find' field and "I'" (capital-eye-apostrophe) in the 'Replace' field.

I think Jim Campbell has a tutorial about how to do this more reliably (with my method you end up missing contractions that have a curly inverted comma in the place of the apostrophe) but I can't find it at the moment.

Evan Henry
01-22-2013, 07:56 PM
As to the page itself, I'd say it's pretty good for a beginner. I would open up the caption boxes to give a little more room for the text, especially on the sides. For the record, you managed the text arrangement a great deal better than when I did this page (http://evanhenry.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4rfkrn).

lordmagnusen
01-22-2013, 10:44 PM
This is Jim's tutorial; I have made it into a Word macro to take care of scripts at the press of one button.

There are several things a letterer needs to do to a script in Word before starting to transfer the text over to the actual lettering document.

If the script is ALL CAPS then the first thing is to go Edit -> Select All, then Format -> Change Case -> Sentence Case.

Next, you need to get rid of all sorts of typing quirks that may have crept in. Use Find/Replace under the edit menu.

Find: __Double Space (literally type two spaces where I've used underscores)
Replace: _ Single Space (literally one space instead of the underscore)

Find: ... (three full stops)
Replace: … (ellipsis)

Now, for those 'I's. You need to have "Match Case" selected to make this work.

Find: I (capital I, no spaces before or after)
Replace: i (lower case i, no spaces before or after)

Find: i_ (lower case i with space after)
Replace: I_ (uppercase with space after)

Find: i' (lower case i with apostrophe after, no spaces)
Replace" I' (uppercase I with apostrophe and no space)

Your script should now be broadly lettering friendly (although keep an eye open for words that END in 'i', because you will have stuck a capital I at the end of 'taxi', for example).

NicShaw
01-23-2013, 03:13 AM
Thanks again guys!

I'll be sure to try and use that tutorial lordmagnusen thanks!

SuperMonkey I much prefer your font, and the distinction you've made between all four captions.
I might go mess around a little more now!

Be sure to check back, I'll bug you guys for more tips!

Evan Henry
01-23-2013, 03:52 AM
SuperMonkey I much prefer your font

That's either WebLetterer or Letteromatic! I don't have the vector file anymore so I can't be sure, but I'm certain Nate could tell you which one.

NicShaw
01-23-2013, 04:31 AM
That's either WebLetterer or Letteromatic! I don't have the vector file anymore so I can't be sure, but I'm certain Nate could tell you which one.

Awesome! Thanks!

NicShaw
01-23-2013, 04:38 AM
BATMAN ACTIVITY!

I tried to go for the "New 52" captions that Richard Starkings and Jimmy Betancour are using in Batman at the moment.
I also printed this page out to compare it against other comics for font sizing. I think I've gotten it here.
I did struggle with one particular balloon, I'm sure you guys can see which one.

I've really got to say thank you again to all the guys that have replied and given me new links, advice, and a something a bit better to strive for!

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1413/batmanprac.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/259/batmanprac.png/)

NicShaw
01-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Here is another page from the Activity Archive - http://bit.ly/14lwu9e - I found it a little hard to get a nice flow going, but I'm quite happy with how this has turned out. I also changed the font to a nice font from Blambot - http://bit.ly/TBNuXK - called 'Web Letterer' which was free, and I quite like it!

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2346/letteringprac31.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/132/letteringprac31.jpg/)

lordmagnusen
01-26-2013, 11:06 AM
This one is a tricky one... but you handled most stuff well (font, balloons, tails, etc); except for reading flow. As it stands , most people will read the "when we first got together" balloon first, so I'd put the "that's the difference" balloon higher up, above the panel border. Then, after the "we've been over this" one, the eyes saunter off to "but you'll let me down"; so I'd put that one below the panel, next to the caption.

Jeff LeBlanc
01-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Your font is still quite large. And again, you really need to reduce the line spacing (also known as leading). As a result, you're wasting an awful lot of space -- and covering up a lot of artwork.

I remember doing this one. It's not easy. There's a lot of dialogue to fit in very little space. Be careful with your layout. The fourth panel balloon that overlaps the first panel could make the reader think they're supposed to go down before going right.

Also, there are places where you could finesse your text stacking a little more. Look at the second balloon in the fourth panel. The lines for "in New York is / gonna give me a" are awkwardly indented from the lines above and below them, ruining the oval shape. Try a different arrangement.

Evan Henry
01-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Overall, this page is pretty good. That leading really needs to come down, though. And you still have some crossbar I's in panel two. I would also consider rethinking the way you divide up the text in some of the balloons. For example:

GOOD NIGHT,
TOMAS

would be much better as

GOOD
NIGHT,
TOMAS

Also, why is the caption box slightly transparent? Or am I imagining that? I would fix that, too.

NicShaw
01-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks again guys!

This one is a tricky one... but you handled most stuff well (font, balloons, tails, etc); except for reading flow. As it stands , most people will read the "when we first got together" balloon first, so I'd put the "that's the difference" balloon higher up, above the panel border. Then, after the "we've been over this" one, the eyes saunter off to "but you'll let me down"; so I'd put that one below the panel, next to the caption.

I can see what you mean, when I first did the placement of the text I thought it looked odd being so high, and I knew that it should be higher, but I didn't do it anyway ...

Your font is still quite large. And again, you really need to reduce the line spacing (also known as leading). As a result, you're wasting an awful lot of space -- and covering up a lot of artwork.

I remember doing this one. It's not easy. There's a lot of dialogue to fit in very little space. Be careful with your layout. The fourth panel balloon that overlaps the first panel could make the reader think they're supposed to go down before going right.

Also, there are places where you could finesse your text stacking a little more. Look at the second balloon in the fourth panel. The lines for "in New York is / gonna give me a" are awkwardly indented from the lines above and below them, ruining the oval shape. Try a different arrangement.

Hey Jeff, thanks for the help!
When you say "Leading" is that the space between lines, or the space between words? I know how to fix the space between lines, but not between words.
I did notice the odd shaping and indented lines ruining the nice diamond shape, but I've seen it in a few books, so I thought it was okay sometimes. Obviously it's not!

Overall, this page is pretty good. That leading really needs to come down, though. And you still have some crossbar I's in panel two. I would also consider rethinking the way you divide up the text in some of the balloons. For example:

GOOD NIGHT,
TOMAS

would be much better as

GOOD
NIGHT,
TOMAS

Also, why is the caption box slightly transparent? Or am I imagining that? I would fix that, too.

You're not imagining it, nope! I really like that pine-cone, didn't want to cover it up.
The only crossbar I's that I noticed are at the beginning of sentences, and I've read it's a bit debatable whether or not they should be used?
Just grabbed three books off of the shelf (American Vampire, Harbinger, and Men of War) none of them have crossbar I's at the beginning of sentences. So I'll fix that up!

Awesome guys! It's good to know that problems I have are easily fixable! Thanks for all your help again, it's really appreciated! :har:

NicShaw
01-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Reduced the font, reduced the leading, fixed crossbar I's, fixed the shape of balloons and their stacking, and fixed the layout of the balloons. I got my missus to read it, she read the flow correctly, and she doesn't read comics. So yay!

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6668/letteringprac3.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/521/letteringprac3.jpg/)

Evan Henry
01-26-2013, 10:14 PM
My first thought is that the font is now a little too small. The easiest way to figure out for sure would be to print out the image at full dimensions and compare it side-by-side with an actual comic.

Okay, had to do a little bit of digging through my lettering files. I've found that WebLetterer displays at about the right size if you use slightly less than 1 pt for every 100 vertical pixels. E.g., on a 3300 x 5100 file, I use somewhere between 45 and 46 pt. This is just my personal preference, of course, but WebLetterer is my primary font for dialogue and captions, and I've never gotten complaints about readability when using this standard. Keep in mind that this applies only at standard comic proportions, of course -- around 11" x 17" or some fraction of that. If you're doing landscape or some other format this won't apply at all.

The leading is just about right now, I think.

lordmagnusen
01-26-2013, 10:55 PM
I don't think the size looks too small in this case, I think it works.

Evan Henry
01-26-2013, 10:57 PM
I don't think the size looks too small in this case, I think it works.

To be fair, it is equally possible that I've been using extremely large type all this time and no one's said anything. :laugh:

NicShaw
01-26-2013, 11:19 PM
My first thought is that the font is now a little too small. The leading is just about right now, I think.

I did print it out, and compared it, it looks good. It's just hard to tell in this jpeg I think. If you jump on over to my DeviantArt page ( http://shawaboutnic.deviantart.com/#/d5sugau ) it comes out a little better when you click on the pic.

I'm glad for finding out what "leading" is! So that's neat!

I'm working with a template that I found on (I want to say) Ninja Lettering . So it's the right board size, with bleed space etc. Working with that, this was typed at a size 7, which seemed to come out well. I had to change the line spacing to a -1. I've since tried a few other pages, and a size 6 or 7 font size seems to do the trick. (with Web Letterer anyway)

NicShaw
01-26-2013, 11:24 PM
Here is the second page to the book that I'm creating with Luke Parker ( http://bit.ly/WElOhh ). Just for you guys to have a look-see. It's about a British WW2 pilot that crash lands on a island that is full of dinosaurs, Vikings, Pirates, and Nazis. It's an alternate take on WW2 where the Nazis are being helped by Aliens. Lots of fun and lots of action!

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6822/machammerpg1v1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/machammerpg1v1.jpg/)

Evan Henry
01-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Looks cool!

NicShaw
01-27-2013, 07:25 AM
Messing around with illustrator and practising creating logos. Thought this was a bit of fun!

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6316/theyriseagainlogo.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/502/theyriseagainlogo.jpg/)

NicShaw
01-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Mock Cover page with the Zombie Logo I created -

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/4707/zombiecover.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/zombiecover.jpg/)

I have the feeling that the zombie art that I've used is from Deadworld, but I'm not entirely sure. If someone knows I would like to give the artist creds!

lordmagnusen
01-27-2013, 05:38 PM
Looks good.

NicShaw
01-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Looks good.

Thanks!:w00t:

NicShaw
01-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Again, just having a mess around with Illustrator.
Trying to create a fun 'Noir' logo.
Which ones do you guys like?

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6997/theshadowlogo.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/233/theshadowlogo.jpg/)

NicShaw
01-28-2013, 01:30 AM
So here is a mock cover of "The Shadow" a noir comic.
The Art is by Edmond Gray.
I used several different layers of texture, as well as creating my own radial swatch, and I've used 6 different fonts. A couple of hours work, and I've learned a few new techniques and created some fun logos.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/48/theshadowcover.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/theshadowcover.jpg/)

Comics Commando
02-02-2013, 02:06 AM
Close up the leading in the text and the balloons will automatically get more air in there.

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart@gmail.com

NicShaw
02-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Here are a few pages from the book I'm working on at the moment. Script and Lettering are me. The art is by an English Gentleman by the name of Luke Parker.
Feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Also I apologies for the crummy quality of the upload, for some reason these pages didn't convert properly. But it's 12:40am and I want to get some sleepy times!

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1523/machammerpage1inkletter.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/machammerpage1inkletter.jpg/)

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/1701/machammerpage2inkletter.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/38/machammerpage2inkletter.jpg/)

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/2344/machammerpage3inkletter.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/machammerpage3inkletter.jpg/)

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/4025/machammerpage4inkletter.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/machammerpage4inkletter.jpg/)

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/24/machammerpage5inkletter.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/machammerpage5inkletter.jpg/)

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1146/machammerpage6inkletter.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/machammerpage6inkletter.jpg/)

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2972/machammerpage78inklette.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35/machammerpage78inklette.jpg/)

Jeff LeBlanc
02-04-2013, 11:11 PM
**VAST** improvement. These look great, man.

NicShaw
02-05-2013, 04:30 AM
Thanks, Jeff!