PDA

View Full Version : Recent "Hidden Gems".

CHWolf
01-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Here's a thread for movies you've seen that might've flown under the radar, but are still worth watching. They don't have to be fantastic, but if you liked them, post them!

(They don't have to be THAT recent, just maybe something you recently discovered or got around to watching.)

Here are a few...

Bernie - Jack Black as a soft-spoken funeral director who falls in with a cruel older woman he eventually murders. True stroy, tells you from the beginning so it's not a spoiler. Thought this was really funny in places, and very true of the quirky southern U.S. People like Bernie, they hate the victim, so naturally they don't understand why he's even charged.

King of Kong - This is a documentary about two video gamers vying for the title of highest "Donkey Kong" score. It's hilarious and sad at times, not at all what you'd expect from a documentary about geeks. (That is, if you expect a boring spat of in-genre gibberish.) It has a clear "Hero vs. Villain" vibe, and you can feel at ease with this because the "Villain" makes no bones about being awful.

Sleep Walk With Me - A bit slow and, IMHO, disjointed, but funny and worth watching. The fictionalized story of a real-life comedian with a real-life sleep disorder that makes him physically act out his nightmares. (To his own detriment.) Gives insight into how much comedians' lives suuuuuck.

Rampart - Woody Harrelson is one of those 1990s L.A. cops who beats the shit out of everbody. It seems to drag on a bit and at no time is anyone particularly likable or well-rounded, but it's still an interesting watch. Don't expect a marvellous climax.

Red Lights - Nice cast. Two researchers set out to disprove psychic abilities. DeNiro as an evil psychic who, at times, makes us wonder if he's actually evil or even actually psychic. I don't know if everyone would have the same experience, but all the twists seemed easy to guess simply from watching the preview. It was interesting, though, and watching the scenes of our heroes investigating fraud psychics and show how they pull off a bit of their trickery was nice. I couldn't shake the feeling that this would've worked better as a Hitchcock-era classic.

Big Man Japan - I saw this a couple years back, actually, but I can't recommend it enough when talking about hidden gem movies. Even if your ONLY exposure to "giant monsters" was Power Rangers or Godzilla, you should check this out. It's Japanese, subtitled, so maybe not for everyone. The weird factor is through the roof, and there are some of the most mind-bending monster designs ever put onto film.

Moonrider
01-17-2013, 08:59 PM
<b>Meatballs.</b> A young counselor named Bill Murray try to woo his co-worker in a summer camp, while delightfully PG hilarity ensues with and around them in a setting that could have easily turn into an American Pie-ish raunchy comedy. Just watched this old movie via cable.

<b>Rurouni Kenshin</b> A surprisingly good manga/anime to live action adaptation with furious swordfighting action and a decent cast. Kinda have that Once Upon a Time in China vibe, but with less comedy.

Angel
01-17-2013, 09:37 PM
Spanky Rides A Train A live action dark comedy about a "Yellow Kid" type of comic strip character that is granted a wish and is allowed to step out of the printed page in order to ride on a real passenger train. The twist is that the "real world" is not so real but an alternate nightmarish mirror world to 1920's Chicago, and before you know it Spanky is struggling to make his way back into the printed page. It really blew my mind how well this flick was produced and that someone took a chance on it and produced it at all.

Troy Wall
01-18-2013, 01:10 AM
BernieThought this was really funny in places, and very true of the quirky southern U.S. People like Bernie, they hate the victim, so naturally they don't understand why he's even charged.
Wha?

King of Kong - This is a documentary about two video gamers vying for the title of highest "Donkey Kong" score. It's hilarious and sad at times, not at all what you'd expect from a documentary about geeks. (That is, if you expect a boring spat of in-genre gibberish.) It has a clear "Hero vs. Villain" vibe, and you can feel at ease with this because the "Villain" makes no bones about being awful.

Billy Mitchell! That luscious, well-conditioned mullet! That keen business acumen! And the refusal to accept defeat! Loved watching him every time he was on screen because of how unbelievably childish and relentless he appeared. Unfortunately, a lot has come out regarding the exaggeration of his character just for the film, careful editing to make him seem worse than he is, etc. He might actually not be the world's biggest asshole, which sucks, because they definitely had me sold on it. There's a lot of folks that know him and have said he was playing a character in that "documentary".

CHWolf
01-18-2013, 02:21 AM
What's interesting is the folks involved with the film said Mitchell was edited to make him look less awful. Heh.

As for the Bernie thing, was pointing out something most people might not know outside of rural good-old-boy locales... that the law is applied based on your status in the community.

Police Officer shoots dead an unarmed suspect, in his home, after shooting his dog dead... simply for walking up to the glass door to answer it. Officer then lies about what happened several times until it's all disproven. Grand Jury of locals elect not to move forward with case, and he's given a "local hero" award and $4,000 from the Sheriff out of public funds. Down side: He was fired.

Conversely...

A black man with drugs in his vehicle flees from Police. Waaaaayy far away, an Officer gets the call to join the chase. On his way, still far from the scene, in no way related to the chase, the Officer speeds off the road and dies. The guy with the drugs is now in prison, convicted of murder. At the trial, they played the dash cam footage of the Officer dying.

I know that reads like being or not being a Cop was the determining factor, but I could cite other things... just that those two match up so well. Speaking of Police, you can get a special "secret" decal for your window around these parts that keeps you from getting tickets when you're pulled over. A "friend of the department" sort of thing they give you. I shit you not, a small black sticker with a single white letter emblazoned thereupon.

So yeah, that was my point about Bernie. So outlandish - so true.

Co.Inkadink
01-18-2013, 06:52 AM
King of Kong - This is a documentary about two video gamers vying for the title of highest "Donkey Kong" score. It's hilarious and sad at times, not at all what you'd expect from a documentary about geeks. (That is, if you expect a boring spat of in-genre gibberish.) It has a clear "Hero vs. Villain" vibe, and you can feel at ease with this because the "Villain" makes no bones about being awful.Billy Mitchell! That luscious, well-conditioned mullet! That keen business acumen! And the refusal to accept defeat! Loved watching him every time he was on screen because of how unbelievably childish and relentless he appeared. Unfortunately, a lot has come out regarding the exaggeration of his character just for the film, careful editing to make him seem worse than he is, etc. He might actually not be the world's biggest asshole, which sucks, because they definitely had me sold on it. There's a lot of folks that know him and have said he was playing a character in that "documentary".What's interesting is the folks involved with the film said Mitchell was edited to make him look less awful. Heh.I loved that Movie! Mitchell is awful. The scenes where he won't accept video footage and then sends a video of the game turning over with VCR glitch right at the moment it changes. Man what a magnificent Jerk!

The other guy Steve Wiebe I really rooted for an honest guy. I did squirm a little when he started crying though.

Biofungus
01-18-2013, 07:15 AM
I don't know if "King of Kong" is really a "hidden gem". It's one of the most well known video game related documentaries (if not the most well known) and we have definitely had discussions around here about it. Still a good story. Twingalaxies.com is revamping their website, but if you check(ed) it periodically, you'd see the story is still, for the most part, "going on".

Also, nobody else here as seen "Big Man Japan"? It used to be my Christmas tradition, until I forgot to watch it in 2011 :p

Duane Korslund
01-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Wet Hot American Summer- Centers around a NorthEastern Jewish Summer Camp, and the relationships of the staff and kids. Its hilarious if you like off beat, somewhat raunchy dick and fart joke comedy. Stars Michael Showalter and the cast from Stella (if you've ever seen that) It has Janine Garafolo, and David Hyde Pierce in it as well in minor roles to bring "star power" to it.

Co.Inkadink
01-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Lars and the Real Girl
I know this one is 6 yrs old but I just saw it recently. It's about a guy who is delusional thinking he has a relationship with a sex doll. It sounds weird and twisted but it's not. The town decides to pretend she's real to help him through his delusion. It's a very sweet and charming story and worth seeing.

Jasen Smith
01-19-2013, 10:51 PM
Indie Game: The Movie

I used to make games with a friend of mine during the summer...yea, we were those kids who'd spend all summer playing games, drawing, making cartoons, and making games.

This documentary I felt was great and love seeing a behind the scenes in indie games.

CHWolf
01-20-2013, 12:26 AM
:O I have to look that up right now.