PDA

View Full Version : first time attempt art doing "pro" ink work

Rob Norton
01-14-2013, 12:24 AM
so...been a long time since i posted any art.

wanted to share this recent work i have done. i have never tried to do professional type inks over a professional artists work before. i ink my own stuff all the time... using traditional tools.. the brush and hunt 102, occasional technical pens.

so ..here it is. i by NO mean have any dilusions of being a professional inker. its such a hard skill. i know this can be way better...but..for what its worth..heres my attempt to ink artist Ian Medina.

his pencils
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/robnor/inkApencils_zpsc4ce710d.jpg

raw scan of my inks...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/robnor/upload2_zps3be10816.jpg

somewhat cleaned up version. im SO new to photoshop...i dont know how to do all the things that are needed to really clean it up..but here is what i did.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/robnor/upload3_zps57cb8a3c.jpg

Rob Norton
01-29-2013, 03:32 PM
nothing...? anyone..?

JasonEnosArt
01-29-2013, 06:33 PM
Show me yours, and I'll show you mine... Wait, that wasn't awkward...

I know what you mean about responses. Some times, it's hard to get a response, just because there may be no one with something important to add. Let me give you my two cents worth. I think it's pretty good work. Honestly, I like how the big guy on the left (don't know his name) has thicker outlining lines, and I wish the same carried over into his depiction in the lower panel. In the lower panel, his lines are not as thick.

I do want to mention that there is still a little bit of greyness to the paper along the top edge near the action lines. What you might want to do is this: Make a new adjustment layer (levels, brightness/contrast, etc.) and adjust the whites to eradicate the grey. That might remove some of your inks in other areas (such as the curves of lines, etc.): that's okay, we're about to fix that. Fill the layer mask with all black. Now, using a soft edge brush, carefully paint white onto the layer mask area where they grey patches are. That should remove just the spots that are grey without a noticeable seam.

If you wouldn't mind, could you give a gander at my piece too? I'm still learning this line art thing, and I could use some feedback too. Thanks :)

Bishop
01-29-2013, 07:08 PM
I really dig the first and third panels. The hatching in the other two panels seems out of place with the rest of the artwork IMO.

Vicmoya
01-29-2013, 07:52 PM
The cleaned up version definitely speaks to me more. My eye is getting lost in the page though. Take care in your line thickness and the proximity of one line to the other when doing the crosshatching and feathering. Istesd of getting that nice grey fade out you are kind of achieving a more solid black shadow. You are employing the right techniques in the right spots, now it's time to fine tune and perfect those techniques.

Your inks over you own stuff are so fluid and full of energy, I would love to see that kind of life when inking others. Don't get so cought up in doing pro inks over pro pencils. Just do the right inks for the pencils in front of you and the "pro " aspect will come through.

Good stuff meng.