PDA

View Full Version : Artie Simek

AJay
01-06-2013, 11:05 AM
The life of Artie Simek is told through census records, newspaper articles and comic books. There is reported evidence that he drew a comic book story in 1946, and contributed a cartoon to a Martin Goodman magazine in 1954. Plus there are three of his sports cartoons. Artie could draw and it wouldn’t surprise me if he also did an occasional inking job for Marvel. Today, January 6, would have been his 97th birthday.

Read it at my blog (http://alphabettenthletter.blogspot.com/2013/01/creator-artie-simek.html).

Todd Klein
01-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Interesting, Alex, I didn't know about the sports cartoons.

AJay
01-06-2013, 09:18 PM
I believe it was Roy Thomas who said that Jean Simek had the original art for the sports cartoons. Since her passing, it's not clear what happened to them.

Comics Commando
01-07-2013, 03:13 AM
Artie inking?

Y'know what? I wouldn't be at all surprised.

It always surprises me that comics folks do work outside their usual chores, but I shouldn't be.

I've inked a few comics, John Costanza is an accomplished artist, editor and designer. Todd Klein has done some writing in the comics field--so have I. Inker Art Thibert has done some pencilling...I still collaborate on jobs with Inker Dan Panosian where he pencils and inks.

It seems once it's in yer blood--it stays.

Man, does it ever!

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart@gmail.com