PDA

View Full Version : Anniversary

t_orzechowski
01-03-2013, 02:07 AM
I began my 41st year at it today, so far as I can figure. My first day at Marvel was January 2, 1973. And look how they've grown since then~!

Todd Klein
01-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Congrats for hanging in there, Tom! Still love your work. Who was on staff in the bullpen when you began? Was Jim Novak there yet?

lordmagnusen
01-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Congrats, sir!

t_orzechowski
01-04-2013, 02:41 AM
Todd, the lettering corrections staff in the first part of '73 was Danny Crespi, Morrie Kuramoto, and me. By mid-decade, Jim Novak was freelancing; the staff lettering corrections crew then included Rick Parker, Jack Morelli, and Michael Higgins.

Todd Klein
01-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Thanks, Tom. Wish I'd been there.

Digital-CAPS
01-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Wow, I was giving Pampers a bad name at the time! Literally! You rock, Tom. Thanks for doing what you do. I wouldn't do what I did if you didn't!

Comics Commando
01-05-2013, 03:09 AM
Damn, Tom! I'm comin' up on 30 years--in a couple years. And I thought I'd been at it a long time!

But, yeah, I was looking an an X-Men comic couple days ago--from several years before my first pro assignment--and there you were!

Your work is a standard I dream to achieve...and Todd's. I do my best, but I fall short in both of those shadows.

Never met Morrie, but heard the stories in my short run in the bullpen...about summer '86...maybe '85.

When I was there, Jim Novak was in charge of us grunts. There was Bill Oakley, Pat Brosseau, Ken [damn, last name's not comin' to me]...

With respect...or--as the kids say--PROPS!

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart@gmail.com

AJay
01-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Congratulations, Tom. We met at Continuity when you moved back to NYC. I had a desk space and I was eavesdropping on your conversation with Neal. If I remember correctly, you mentioned one of Byron Preiss's books that I worked on and that's when I introduced myself.

JimCampbell
01-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Ken [damn, last name's not comin' to me]...

…Bruzenak?

I loved Ken's hand-lettered work. His lettering on the Leonardi/Austin issues of Cloak & Dagger felt as much like part of the book's overall 'look' as Workman's on Simonson's Thor, or Orz on Byrne/Austin X-Men…

(There's a brilliant article I found online but infuriatingly didn't bookmark and have been unable to track down since that observes that Sandman was an ongoing monthly with no regular artist, and that it was Todd's lettering that unified the look of the title across its seventy-five issues.)

Cheers!

Jim

Todd Klein
01-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Probably Ken Lopez.