PDA

View Full Version : Peter Parker - Opinions wanted.

JasonEnosArt
01-01-2013, 11:47 PM
I usually only ink my own stuff, so I have to ask myself, "What was the artist's intent with this line?" when I work with someone else's art.

I want opinions. Top is pencils by Mike Deodato. Ink is mine, via work in Illustrator. Am I being too literal in the inking interpretation?

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2013/001/1/e/peter_parker___ink_by_bauerpower24777-d5q3s8v.jpg

Jeremy Colwell
01-02-2013, 12:21 AM
IMO, I'd say you are being much too literal with the lines. It feels like a trace of the pencils and not a ink rendering of the intention behind the marks.

JasonEnosArt
01-02-2013, 12:52 AM
IMO, I'd say you are being much too literal with the lines. It feels like a trace of the pencils and not a ink rendering of the intention behind the marks.

:thumbs:

^ As I was doing this, that's what I was afraid of. I will probably do another version once I hear a few more opinions... even faster if I hear the exact opinion echoed again and again! lol

Symson
01-02-2013, 02:52 AM
You need more variation in line weight.

JasonEnosArt
01-02-2013, 03:09 AM
You need more variation in line weight.

^ And I think that's because I'm being a slave to the original pencils, which are one pencil width. Thanks for the input.

timvandevall
01-04-2013, 04:23 AM
I wouldn't use illustrator for inking anyway. If you're going to ink digitally, I'd suggest Manga Studio, which feels much more natural.

As far as the inking job, ask yourself, "Are the inks adding value to the pencils?" Does it make the image pop more?

If you could show more of the picture, I could provide further feedback.

Tim

JimCampbell
01-04-2013, 08:44 PM
I'd agree with Tim's comments here -- you need only take a look at Vic's inks over Capullo in the thread below this one to see an excellent example of adding a layer of polish to pencils without overwhelming the original artist's work.

Cheers

Jim

Comics Commando
01-05-2013, 03:53 AM
Not sure how big that eye is on the page--it looks seriously blown up here--but I don't know.

But, yeah, too literal. I used to work with Mike back in my Image days and I don't recall his work looking this loose--which is why I wonder if it's been blown up here. 'Course that was a while ago, so maybe his work is looser.

I'm not an expert on inking--especially digitally [I'm mostly a letterer and editor]--but since I work in Adobe illustrator for hours every day, I would say it's not the best inking app around.

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart@gmail.com

JasonEnosArt
01-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Hey guys. Thanks for all of the responses. I chose a close-up (so yes, ComicsCommando, it is blown up) and only on the part that I'd completely finished (that's why there's no more to see, timvandevall). It took me a long time (in my spare time) to get this much done, but I think the length of time has to do with my being too literal with the pencils, which is what I was fearing. I need to make some smart choices now, and I'll be posting a new version soon.

JasonEnosArt
01-08-2013, 02:39 AM
Here's the update - haven't been working on it much, but here's a comparison. I reinked the eye on the left completely, eye on the right is still the old version.

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u679/jasonenosart/ScreenShot2013-01-07at31530AM_zps4284c561.png

cesare2009
01-12-2013, 01:29 AM
I think you might be working at a high zoom level, if so, try inking it at its 'actual' size.

JasonEnosArt
01-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Since there has been numerous requests for 100%, here it is. Revel in the incompleteness.

http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u679/jasonenosart/ScreenShot2013-01-13at32009PM_zps3aba06d8.png

JasonEnosArt
01-29-2013, 03:10 AM
Here's the final inks.

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2013/028/8/f/spider_man___pencils_by_mike_deodato__inks_by_me_b y_bauerpower24777-d5t45qr.jpg

Rob Norton
01-30-2013, 12:00 AM
hey...so when i saw the first image you posted..i honestly thought it looked like sloppy garbage. just weird lines everywhere that didnt seem to know what they wanted to do.

but as you posted more and more of the image as you refined it...ending with that finished one..i gotta say really really like what i see. looks pretty good actually. it "looks" digital to me. like i can tell that its not traditional hand made stuff and...whether thats bad or not i dont know. it just looks that way. but it looks good. cant really find any complaints.

so...well done...

rob

JasonEnosArt
09-21-2014, 10:19 PM
Rob, never said this, but thanks. I think this piece has gotten me a few small jobs :) Not bad, for my first serious digital inking piece :)

Rob Norton
09-21-2014, 10:59 PM
Rob, never said this, but thanks. I think this piece has gotten me a few small jobs :) Not bad, for my first serious digital inking piece :)

no problem. seriously, that final looks great. hope you have great success!!

rob

Redking84
10-05-2014, 06:31 PM
Awesome! Is this on Illustrator? Do you use a mouse or some pen attachment?

JasonEnosArt
10-06-2014, 12:40 AM
Thanks!

Yes, all in Illustrator. I started out just using my touch pad on my laptop, and then I remembered that I could use my stylus too lol.

Here's me working about some of the image.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc42K3WRcnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYSjo70U4d4

gizroc2
10-19-2014, 02:14 PM
I agree with others that Manga Studio 5 is WAAAY better than Adobe Illustrator for inking, and even has its own (albeit proprietary) Vector layers, which I personally like. You will certainly find it a LOT cheaper than Illustrator; it's under $40 on Amazon. It's really hard to express how GOOD MS5 really is, and how much freakin' faster it is than any workflow in Illy. One final gripe I have against Illy is that has no page rotation tool. When Adobe is pushing all these new "freehand" tools, the lack of this feature is inexcusable.

Illustrator remains very good for Lettering, which is about the only weakness in Manga Studio 5.

If you find (for whatever reason) that you just HAVE to use Illustrator, you might want to check out LAZY NEZUMI PRO. It's a system-level app for Windoze which can help smooth hand-drawn lines. (MS5 has this option built-in.)

To wrap up, your final full inking DOES look really good!

JasonEnosArt
10-19-2014, 04:52 PM
Thanks, Gizroc2, for the compliment!

Yeah, I know Illustrator wasn't built to do what I just used it for, and I have found a few time saving techniques, but I only used Illustrator to ink one 8 page story... since then I work in more traditional pen-and-brush methods.

I wish Illustrator had the view rotation, too (and it might, I haven't looked!). I accidentally found it in Photoshop, and I think that PS might be the best on-the-fly inking Adobe application, since I have the pressure sensitive tablet from Wacom.

Comics Commando
10-29-2014, 03:23 AM
Okay...

Yeah, that's looking MUCH better as you progressed--and at 100 percent.

Nice work!

Kurt Hathaway
Cartoon Balloons Studio

Lettering / Logos / Fonts / Pre-Press / Page Design / Motion Graphics
for Print or Web / Entertainment, Advertising or Education!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETGevjPkZso

Ghost
10-31-2014, 10:15 AM
Well done piece. All that hatching would drive me nuts lol.