PDA

View Full Version : Dingbats

Clem Robins
12-21-2012, 04:04 PM
i've wanted for some time to have wonkified versions of certain comics expressions, like EH? or GASP! or UGHHN!, etc. i have tried burying them in my ligatures, but almost any letter combination is likely to surface sooner or later in text, and this isn't something one wants to accidentally paste into a speech.

but there's a simple enough solution: just make an alternate font called Dingbats. in the case of my body copy type family Proline, it is called Proline Dingbats. it's a catchbasin for all the stuff one wants to have easy access to when the need arises. it's also where i store musical notes, receding and ascending ellipses, and other stuff one can use for variety.

Piekos
12-21-2012, 06:19 PM
I imagine it would be easier to just keep an AI file with all these objects in plain view -- Instead of having to create a cheat sheet of which keystroke corresponds to which word in a font.

~N

Clem Robins
12-21-2012, 07:13 PM
well, Dingbats has certain advantages. if i need a GASP, i can just type it, select it, and change the font to Dingbats, in the same way i would if i needed italics or bold.

but all this loopy stuff i do is for my own use, and i know what i've got and where everything is. offering it for sale to others would require a huge and maddening instruction manual.

Comics Commando
12-30-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm with Nate...I have all sortsa things like that in my template--it's a very busy template, I assure you--but just about anything I need is right there.

Just drag inta place and BOOM!

hahas, musical notes, gasps, underlines, and of course all kinda balloon styles.

And when I need to make something new, I add it to my template.

I even stopped making SFX fonts...I just keep the vectors around so I can access the alphabet to make an FX on the page.

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart@gmail.com