PDA

View Full Version : Which CS is best to work with?

t_orzechowski
12-20-2012, 06:44 PM
It seems as though I ought to upgrade from CS 1 at long last. Which subsequent version was the most problem-free?

Todd Klein
12-21-2012, 08:27 AM
I've had no trouble with CS5, though there will be some changes that will require adjusting your work habits. I'm planning to upgrade my Mac OS to the current version next week, but plan to stay with CS5, as I've heard lots of complaints about CS6.

lordmagnusen
12-21-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm using CS5, and I'm quite happy with it.

Piekos
12-21-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm CS5 as well. Before that I used CS3 for years.

~N

Duane Korslund
12-21-2012, 10:27 AM
I was big on Cs3 for a very long time, but I've been loving Cs5 for a while now

JimCampbell
12-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Not remotely impressed with CS6, to be honest. Can't say I've noticed any significant improvements since CS3 and very much wish I'd stayed with CS5. I'd roll back to CS5 if it didn't mean I'd have to re-save hundreds of AI files back to the older version…!

Cheers

Jim

The Trout
12-21-2012, 02:49 PM
I have a Creative Cloud subscription, so by default I just use the latest version, but I've had zero problems with CS6 so far on Windows.

Clem Robins
12-21-2012, 04:11 PM
someone told me that from CS4 onward, when you do an Offset Path, the altered version of the path is not selected. which would make it a royal pain in the neck for sound effects and the like. was i misled?

i am still on CS1.

JimCampbell
12-21-2012, 04:44 PM
someone told me that from CS4 onward, when you do an Offset Path, the altered version of the path is not selected. which would make it a royal pain in the neck for sound effects and the like. was i misled?

Just tried one -- the new, offset version of the path is selected. Is that what you'd expect?

Cheers

Jim

Clem Robins
12-21-2012, 05:04 PM
that's excellent news. maybe i should finally upgrade. thanks.

i hate buying new stuff.

L Jamal
12-22-2012, 12:08 AM
I use CS4 after using 9 for years...looks like I have a few more years of CS4

Thomas Mauer
12-22-2012, 08:51 AM
The only advantage I see to CS6 right now is that it supports 64bit hardware and operating systems, allowing for more complex stuff going on in a file without slowing down the computer. With 64bit support (as opposed to the older 32bit), Illustrator can access more RAM and thus run faster.

If your hardware and operating system aren't 64bit compatible, you can ignore this one advantage completely and go with a cheaper CS5.

JimCampbell
12-22-2012, 09:28 AM
I've noticed some operations are significantly faster in CS6 -- particularly file operations which had previously been a bottle-neck in my workflow.

That said, my overall productivity has certainly not increased and I suspect may have been actually decreased by the array of niggling little bugs and the fact that each supposed 'bug fix' update actually adds new ones but fails to fix the existing ones.

Definitely stick with CS5 or 5.5, IMO.

Cheers

Jim

Comics Commando
12-30-2012, 07:54 PM
I use CS5 for awhile now. No problems.

But if you're going from CS1 to CS5, you'll see that text boxes are different.

That is, any CS1 files may look wonky when opened in CS5--IF the fonts aren't outlined already.

Any new files will seem to work the way you're used to, though...won't notice anything different.

I think this first appeared in CS4--??

Kurt Hathaway
khathawayart@gmail.com