PDA

View Full Version : What no Hobbit?

AthenaRose
12-18-2012, 03:51 PM
OK, I'll kick it off, then :D

Just as good as I expected it to be. Great costumes, great props, great effects and amazing scenery (both indoors and out :) ). Oh, and the acting was top notch, too. The story stuck pretty closely to the book, so I'm expecting Beorn to turn up in the next one. There was lots of back-story, too, so it's almost 'The Hobbit +' but that helps fill in the gaps.

The only slight down-side was that I found all of the fight scenes were a teensy bit too long.

Can't wait for next Christmas!

ld-airgrafix
12-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Cant wait to see this. I thought this was one off movie, or does it not finish and we are expected to wait one year to see it continue????

Duane Korslund
12-18-2012, 04:28 PM
three years to see the whole thing I believe?

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
12-18-2012, 05:29 PM
I'm looking forward to watching it!

Bishop
12-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Me and my family loved it. It does deviate from the book some, but it adds a lot from the appendices and does a great job of weaving this story into the fabric of the LotR movies. I want to see it again. We watched it in IMAX 3D the first time, so I am tempted to check out the HFR screening to see what all the fuss is about.

CHWolf
12-18-2012, 06:25 PM
I haven't seen it yet. I'm not really into Christmas movies, what with Santa and his Hobbits making toys, and OH surprise, someone threatens to steal Christmas or an overworked mother needs to learn how to relate to her kids. I don't need to see 3D Hobbits wrapping gifts while they break into chorographed song and dance. Who is that even FOR? I'm sure kids these days couldn't give less of a crap about musicals. Plus if there are any talking animals, like a reindeer or a golden retriever or...

Huh?

Oh.

Someone just informed me I'm a giant raging prick.

Nevermind.

Biofungus
12-19-2012, 02:57 AM
December this year, December next year, then July 2014. So a little over a year and a half actually.

AthenaRose
12-19-2012, 05:04 AM
No doubt the Special Extended Edition Boxset will hit the shops just in time for Christmas 2014. Not that I'm cynical or anything :p

Seriously, it's just gorgeous to watch (only saw in HD - haven't ventured into IMAX, yet), and as Bishop said they've done a great job of weaving in the larger tale of Middle Earth.

I reread the book recently and it struck me how some scenes are quite short in text but could really be expanded on film - and they've done just that. The Dwarves juggling Bilbo's mother's crockery is wonderful!

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
12-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Huh?

Oh.

Someone just informed me I'm a giant raging prick.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-hug015.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

:nyah:

Seriously, it's just gorgeous to watch (only saw in HD - haven't ventured into IMAX, yet), and as Bishop said they've done a great job of weaving in the larger tale of Middle Earth.

I can only imagine how beautiful the movie is... that is really what I'm looking forward to. I shamefully admit that I never really got into the books, but the movies are just so lush and wonderful to look at and enjoy.

AthenaRose
12-20-2012, 04:46 AM
Read The Hobbit - it's much shorter and more accessible than LOTR :)

Co.Inkadink
12-20-2012, 04:55 AM

I know this seems like craziness but I'm waiting for the trade on this one. I'm going to wait until all of them are done and on DVD or whatever and watch them all then. Lat Christmas I bought my son all the LOTR books and he read the Hobbit, Fellowship and started the Two Towers. I also bought all 3 movies on Black Friday for him. I told him we wouldn't watch the movies until he finished the books.

I have to say the movies disappoint in some places like in the second where Saurons men know Frodo had the ring. if that had happened in the book Frodo would've been dead right away. The movies are visual feasts though and fun to see.

AthenaRose
12-20-2012, 05:04 PM
They really are worth seeing on the big screen :)

Paul Sanderson
12-20-2012, 06:42 PM
How did the Man of Steel trailer look on the big screen?

Bishop
12-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Great, as did the Trek footage.

Paul Sanderson
12-20-2012, 08:10 PM
:)

Evan Henry
12-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Great, as did the Trek footage.

How dare you be positive about something! Return to your designated whiny geek corner and commence complaints! :mad:

Bishop
12-20-2012, 11:07 PM
I hate monkeys.

Co.Inkadink
12-21-2012, 12:26 AM
I heard they're making new star trek and superman movies but the trailers I saw didn't have any of the characters I recognize. Maybe they mis labeled them.

Bishop
12-21-2012, 10:56 AM
I heard they're making new star trek and superman movies but the trailers I saw didn't have any of the characters I recognize. Maybe they mis labeled them.

Just curious... When are you going to get tired of making that same joke in every thread those movies are mentioned?

Biofungus
12-22-2012, 05:15 AM
Just curious... When are you going to get tired of making that same joke in every thread those movies are mentioned?
Until he gets banned again.

Co.Inkadink
12-22-2012, 06:56 AM
Until the movies come out and I end up liking one of them or both.

That's what I did with Dark Knight and Captain America.

Paul Sanderson
12-25-2012, 09:36 AM
The more he argues against something, the more he'll end up liking it (eg. Captain America). He's that kind of guy :yawn:

Lord Fejj
01-01-2013, 03:15 AM
Hobbit was great!

Evan Henry
01-01-2013, 05:01 AM
I think I'll wait for the second-run theaters on this one. Peter Jackson is great and all, but I really would have liked to have seen del Toro's version of The Hobbit. I also have very strong objections to the idea of turning it into a trilogy. That seems to be extremely misguided.

Lovecraft13
01-01-2013, 10:19 PM
For a bunch of badass dwarves, they sure spent a lot of time retreating.

Biofungus
01-01-2013, 11:07 PM
For a bunch of badass dwarves, they sure spent a lot of time retreating.
Were there any white rabbits with big, sharp teeth in the film?

CHWolf
01-01-2013, 11:26 PM
One does not simply TROT into Camelot! 'Tis a silly place.

Jasen Smith
01-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Watched it last night.
Read the book over 10 years ago and forgot almost all the stuff they go through.
Martin Freeman as Bilbo was amazing, he did such a great job.
The Riddles in the Dark scene was amazing. Loved it so much.

Angel
01-22-2013, 09:09 PM
I finally saw it and I have to say I liked it better than any of the LOTR movies. Ditto on everything Jasen up posted. I would have to say that it is hard out there for a dwarf.

**************SPOILERS***************************

Tolkien must have been high as f*** writing about a wizard and some dwarves sailing around on the backs of raptors or eagles or whatever.