PDA

View Full Version : CS6 Pathfinder Unite

Digital-CAPS
12-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Upgraded from Illustrator CS3 to CS6 last night, started my new page, made my first dialogue/balloon set, then hit a steel wall. I don't know how you merge your balloons and tails, but I make my balloons, then my tails, then I use the Pathfinder Unite tool to bring them all together as one. When I did this for the first time in CS6, it united them, but it also ARCED them. I had used a warp/arc somewhere prior to this.

My question is obvious. How do I make it stop applying this when I unite them?

http://digital-caps.com/DW/ArcedBalloon.jpg

Digital-CAPS
12-09-2012, 08:22 AM
I found a way to merge them. Pathfinder options>make compound shape. Cumbersome, but it gets the job done. I wish this was a button instead (like I wish they'd add the copy/paste function to the right click context box but they never will :slap: ).

khperkins
12-09-2012, 09:04 AM
I don't know about CS6 but any other Illustrator version if you Option/Alt click the Unite button it makes a compound shape. I've actually made this an action with a shortcut.

Digital-CAPS
12-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Alt+Unite did it. Awesomeness. Thanks, you saved me several seconds per page :thumbs:

JimCampbell
12-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Alt+Unite did it. Awesomeness. Thanks, you saved me several seconds per page :thumbs:

I have ALT-Unite mapped to an F-key as an action. Makes things much easier.

Edit to add: Oh, yeah… like Keith just said! Sorry about that…

Cheers

Jim