PDA

View Full Version : New Star Trek Movie

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
12-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Granted, the new Star Trek franchise is different from the old one, and has lost a certain part of its charm. One can't deny the eye-candy of the new, however...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSoIs4wfaeM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XSoIs4wfaeM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Duane Korslund
12-06-2012, 10:55 AM
yeah, they're doing an ok job of creating a tangent timeline...at the very least its entertaining...I still will always love the Prime timeline though....mistakes and all...

Bishop
12-06-2012, 05:08 PM
I'll play devil's advocate and say that I enjoyed the first Abrams Star Trek more than any of the previous films (which I did enjoy, just not as much).

The Dag
12-06-2012, 06:48 PM
i know they keep saying it's not Khan but the last part of the trailer with the 2 hands made me think its khan.

Biofungus
12-06-2012, 07:17 PM
i know they keep saying it's not Khan but the last part of the trailer with the 2 hands made me think its khan.
I got the impression they're basically adapting the Khan story but to another character.

CHWolf
12-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Major Spoiler.

It's Picard.

Bishop
12-06-2012, 08:53 PM
I got the impression they're basically adapting the Khan story but to another character.

I keep reading that the character is Gary Mitchell. That seems to fit with the trailer too.

Evan Henry
12-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Probably Kirk's dad. (http://www.newsarama.com/film/japanese-star-trek-2-trailer.html) The Gary Mitchell idea sounds nice, but Mitchell was a loser. This guy is a bad-ass.

Bishop
12-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Step dad or Thor dad from the first Abrams Trek?

Evan Henry
12-07-2012, 02:07 AM
Thor dad, I imagine. Anyway, he feels related enough to Kirk to feel comfortable using the phrase ''your family'' in a way that is obviously self-referential.

Co.Inkadink
12-07-2012, 07:56 AM
So where's the trailer for a Star Trek Movie?

Duane Korslund
12-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Major Spoiler.

It's Picard.

I'd FLIP if that were the case...but it's not...I thought some adaptation of Khan as well just because of the destruction to the city...I still have no clue...Gary Mitchell would make sense too...maybe its Harry Mudd...

Biofungus
12-07-2012, 12:45 PM
The movie is six months away, and even IMDB doesn't have solid info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1408101/

Yes, I heard Gary Mitchell as well, but if you notice a lot of similarities in his and Khan's backstory. Mitchell also makes for a better antagonist, story wise (as in, just as much potential as Khan, but not 'repeating' the same story). Also, in the Japanese trailer/footage:
there's a scene eerily reminiscent of Spock's death in Star Trek 2

Biofungus
12-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Also, in the trailer, you can see Cumberbatch in a Starfleet uniform. Khan was an augment, not a starfleet member whereas Mitchell started as a cadet. There's also a heretofore unknown blonde which also matches actually two potential aspects of Mitchell's story.
the blonde he 'influenced' to seduce Kirk at the academy, and later on another female officer who had similar abilities as him that he managed to augment using his own powers

Biofungus
12-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Thirdly:
The placeholder image for the video above, shows Uhura being comforted by Pike.
again, presuming something to do with Spock, which fosters the theory that they are combining the Khan/Gary Mitchell storylines into one story

Newt
12-07-2012, 02:16 PM
"MITCHELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!"

I don't know, it doesn't have quite the same impact.

Duane Korslund
12-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Gaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!

Eliseu Gouveia
12-07-2012, 02:52 PM
I'll play devil's advocate and say that I enjoyed the first Abrams Star Trek more than any of the previous films (which I did enjoy, just not as much).

I enjoyed JJs ST, but not as much as, say, First Contact, Undiscovered Country or Khaaaaan!

Duane Korslund
12-07-2012, 02:58 PM
First contact was one of the best IMO. I've seen almost all of them in the theatres when they were released (execpt TMP and Khaaaan!) and First Contact was actually the first one to really blow me away. The others were great mind you, but not like that...

I personally think ST should have stayed in the 24th century and tried to build upon that timeline, but oh well...I'm enjoying the relaunch novels which continues all the 24th century stories.
Voyager got home, then went back to the delta quadrant.
DS9 got blowed the fuck up!
Janeway was killed....then brought back to life by the Q
Sisko came back, left his wife, and turned into a douche,
Data is brought back to life...
Picard and Bev get married and have a kid...

(none of that really in any chronological order)
Is a frickin soap opera in space!

Bishop
12-07-2012, 03:19 PM
I've seen them all in the theater as well, except the first. I agree that prior to Abrams' movie that First Contact and Khan were the best. Of all of the Trek movies, Abrams' was most like those, and I look forward to this new one.

CHWolf
12-07-2012, 03:20 PM
If you start comparing things to soap operas, you'll find everything men enjoy is a soap opera. Wrestling, Sci-Fi, Super-Hero Comics, and so on.

Eeeee! The Wasp and Ant-Man have a long lost clone baby with amnesia! Eeeee!

Duane Korslund
12-07-2012, 03:39 PM
If you start comparing things to soap operas, you'll find everything men enjoy is a soap opera. Wrestling, Sci-Fi, Super-Hero Comics, and so on.

Eeeee! The Wasp and Ant-Man have a long lost clone baby with amnesia! Eeeee!

skeet shooting is pretty straightforward....not much drama there...

Biofungus
12-07-2012, 03:54 PM
"MITCHELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!"

I don't know, it doesn't have quite the same impact.
If it's not Shatner screaming it, it's not worth screaming.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
12-07-2012, 05:07 PM

Really? Guys like soap opera?

CHWolf
12-07-2012, 06:41 PM
When I was a teenager, my Mom got huge into soap operas because she'd watched them as a teen and suddenly found renewed interest.

As a result, every day at the same time "Days of our Lives" was on.

Trust me. This is the Marvel Universe.

Demonic posession, amnesia, fast-growing children who were babies one month and toddlers the next, people who were dead not really being dead, people switching from good to evil and vice-versa...

It was an eye-opening experience.

Every time Marvel or DC have some big twist that sends fans reeling/complaining, I can't help but snicker and think about how it's exactly the same as a Soap storyline.

Joker had his face removed?

Yeah, so did probably a ton of Soap characters - just because they wanted to explain why a new actor was playing them.

It's like plumetting down the rabbit hole.

The Dag
12-07-2012, 07:57 PM

i watched GH for years. but stopped about 2 summers ago.

Comix Obsession
12-08-2012, 08:41 AM
So, serious question to all the Trek fans, is it worth purchasing the entire original series on DVD whilst they are being sold so cheap?

I loved the new Star Trek movie, and I've often caught myself watching a couple of Next Generation episodes out of boredom. I love Sci-Fi, and the idea of watching the originals appeals, but I just don't know if it's worth it. I figure an entire run of a hugely influential series for so cheap is worth it, but is it, really? Do they hold up well?

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
12-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Wow, how about that, I never realized that. It is completely true... the minute a "soap opera" plot gets tossed into any movie or show, success is had. Well, most of the time.

I watched GH for a couple of years too, long long time ago when they had that cute alien dude on.

Guys like soap opera. What an eye opener... Gosh, when you think about it, even Star Wars is little more than As The World Turns. Wait, bad example, um... What was that movie with Jodie Foster on the event horizon, with all kinds of things happening in the blink of an eye?

Damn. I'm sure that was an episode of General Hospital back in the '80's....

Buckyrig
12-08-2012, 12:33 PM
So, serious question to all the Trek fans, is it worth purchasing the entire original series on DVD whilst they are being sold so cheap?

I loved the new Star Trek movie, and I've often caught myself watching a couple of Next Generation episodes out of boredom. I love Sci-Fi, and the idea of watching the originals appeals, but I just don't know if it's worth it. I figure an entire run of a hugely influential series for so cheap is worth it, but is it, really? Do they hold up well?

All the Star Trek series are available for streaming on Netflix here in the US. I don't know about where you are, but if you have Netflix (or any other service), you may as well check there first.

As far as purchasing the series, it all depends really. Personally, the atmosphere (for lack of a better term) of 60s and 70s sci fi has always been a little off-putting to me. If cheesy sets, acting, and production values don't throw you, yeah, check them out. Just keep in mind what issues they were grappling with at the time (cold war, the space race, racism) when the show was on...and that their handling might seem ham-handed now.

That said, I probably ended up liking Deep Space Nine the best. But that one is also the least Star Trek-like in that it isn't about exploration so much, and is more about a more-or-less static group of races and their political interactions.

Plus, it has Garak.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cl66ilQCCNs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Moonrider
12-08-2012, 12:39 PM

I watched mexican telenovelas when I was still in highschool. I'm not proud of it, it was just a phase.

CHWolf
12-08-2012, 04:14 PM
If any Network Execs get a clue and add super-powers to Soaps (Heroes doesn't count) then we're all screwed.

Biofungus
12-08-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm pretty sure there have been more than a few soaps with people with telepathy or telekinesis.

And I'm not counting Dark Shadows.

Soap Operas are why I opt for morning doctor appointments. I can deal with Ellen, or Kelly Ripa, even the View. But soaps? Ugh...

CHWolf
12-08-2012, 04:53 PM
BIOFUNGUS YOUR AVATAR IS ACTUALLY CARRYING JON DAHL'S BABY, NOT SCRIBBLY'S!!
<oh noes>

Biofungus
12-08-2012, 11:11 PM
But my avatar has had it's tubes tied! :eek:

CHWolf
12-08-2012, 11:14 PM
The doctor was in league with the evil Jay Fourtyone!

Buckyrig
12-09-2012, 11:24 AM
The doctor was in league with the evil Jay Fourtyone!

Is it the 'u' what makes him evil?

CHWolf
12-09-2012, 04:15 PM
"u"? Who, me? :B

No, it's the absense of a soul.

Biofungus
12-09-2012, 04:55 PM
No, it's the absense of a soul.
Hence the "u". Duh.

dx
12-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Here's my point of view with everything Star Trek before the remaking of the franchise.

For a Sci-Fi based series, Star Trek always lacked the visual impact. In the original series it was the time and a small tv budget. The original movie had no excuse considering what Star Wars was able to do in 77 and 81. There rest of the series, movie wise just stunk for what they were. ST II, the Wrath of Kahn was saved by it's story.

Abrams is bringing the Sci Fi to Star Trek. He is delivering on the visuals to a series that has been, for the most part, lacking.

I don't want to see another Star Trek movie stuck in the 80's or in a Forest with people in rags drinking moonshine.

Duane Korslund
12-10-2012, 11:12 AM
All the Star Trek series are available for streaming on Netflix here in the US. I don't know about where you are, but if you have Netflix (or any other service), you may as well check there first.

As far as purchasing the series, it all depends really. Personally, the atmosphere (for lack of a better term) of 60s and 70s sci fi has always been a little off-putting to me. If cheesy sets, acting, and production values don't throw you, yeah, check them out. Just keep in mind what issues they were grappling with at the time (cold war, the space race, racism) when the show was on...and that their handling might seem ham-handed now.

That said, I probably ended up liking Deep Space Nine the best. But that one is also the least Star Trek-like in that it isn't about exploration so much, and is more about a more-or-less static group of races and their political interactions.

Plus, it has Garak.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cl66ilQCCNs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I agree with this...TOS was decent for what it was, but it was campy and outdated.
I think the social relevancy of the last 40 years or so has been reflected much better in any of the new series. TNG could almost be called a good reboot of the intentions of TOS but too random. I liked my series to be somewhat interconnected in intention. Each season should lead up to something instead of every episode for seven seasons be random stories but that's just my opinion.....DS9 was very dark and gritty....once the war happened it really kicked up and grabbed your attention.
Voyager...at first glance...sucks....but I think that's at first glance.
If you watch it through a second or third time...I think it surpasses the other series for re-watchability. Its actually become one of my favorite series now that I've re-watched all the series several times...and Enterprise...well...you can watch it just to say you saw it...it was...very "meh"

Of course everyone's opinion is different.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
12-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Voyager's Doctor was a memorable character. (geez I have a thing for doctors...)

Duane Korslund
12-10-2012, 05:42 PM
I liked the Doctor...he was the token "finding humanity" character in the star trek equation...I think his angle worked just as well as Data or Spock

So...do you have a thing for Doctor Doom? Dr Octopus? Dr Evil? Dr Quinn Medicine woman???? O.o

CHWolf
12-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Doctor Pepper? Doctor Scott? BRAD! JANET! ROCKY! DOCTOR SCOTT!

Moonrider
12-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Voyager's Doctor was a memorable character. (geez I have a thing for doctors...)

http://cdn0.hark.com/images/000/001/239/1239/original.JPG

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
12-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Well... the tenth Doctor, actually... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-ashamed005.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Buckyrig
12-11-2012, 11:35 AM
I liked the Doctor...he was the token "finding humanity" character in the star trek equation...I think his angle worked just as well as Data or Spock

So...do you have a thing for Doctor Doom? Dr Octopus? Dr Evil? Dr Quinn Medicine woman???? O.o

Did they ever end up giving him a name?

That whole thing seemed way too stretched out.

Duane Korslund
12-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Did they ever end up giving him a name?

That whole thing seemed way too stretched out.

He briefly held on to several names, but never for more than an episode...so no, no permanent name. Even in the relaunch novels which is now time-lined to I believe 3 or 4 years after their return he still has no name.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
12-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Even in the relaunch novels which is now time-lined to I believe 3 or 4 years after their return he still has no name.

Are the books good?

Duane Korslund
12-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Are the books good?

Yes, a few years ago they "relaunched" all the star trek books to follow a single timeline. All books from each show after that was interconnected with every other one...same way Star Wars does it.
The Voyager books are my favorite...I really love what they did with Voyager...Next Gen was great too...Ds9 was all over the place and kinda sucked...it had high points but over-all really wiped out the previous cast. Not my favorite. They made some federation-wide events that affected everyone, like another borg invasion...

Just good stuff...the Destiny series by David Mack was really awesome.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
12-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Sounds interesting... Which book might you suggest to start? Of the Voyager ones?

Duane Korslund
12-11-2012, 01:35 PM
For Voyager start in order....Voyager works well because even though they are interconnected with the rest of the books...they stand alone very very well...cant tell you why or it'd give away some plot lines.
These are the Voyager novels in order:

Homecoming Christie Golden June 2003 December 2377 - February 2378

The Farther Shore Christie Golden July 2003 March 2378

Spirit Walk Book One Old Wounds Christie Golden November 2004 July 2378

Spirit Walk Book Two Enemy of My Enemy Christie Golden December 2004 July 2378

Full Circle Kirsten Beyer March 2009 September 2378 – May 2381

Unworthy Kirsten Beyer September 2009 May 2381

Children of the Storm Kirsten Beyer May 2011 June - July 2381

The Eternal Tide Kirsten Beyer August 2012 August - September 2381

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
12-11-2012, 05:26 PM
I downloaded a preview for the first one, thanks!

Duane Korslund
12-11-2012, 05:27 PM
no problem...I've got all of them on pdf if ya need

:har:

dx
12-23-2012, 12:41 AM
Any Trek fans know who the villain is? He appears to come from the original Star Trek cannon.

CHWolf
12-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Jean Luc Picard

Biofungus
12-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Any Trek fans know who the villain is? He appears to come from the original Star Trek cannon.
IMDB still says "Khan (rumored)", but he's confirmed his characters name in interviews (John Harrison). The character (story/origin wise) is an amalgam of Khan and Gary Mitchell (both of whom are relevant to the original series).