PDA

View Full Version : Disney Buys Lucasfilm

Mwynn
10-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Lucasfilm to join company's global portfolio of world class brands including Disney, ESPN, Pixar, Marvel and ABC.

STAR WARS: EPISODE 7 feature film targeted for release in 2015.

http://www.theforce.net/topstory/story/Disney_Buying_Lucasfilm_Plans_New_Star_Wars_Film_1 48646.asp

Phatman
10-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Incredible news. Getting Star Wars out of Lucas' hands is the best news of this century.

cheeseisgood1918
10-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Incredible news. Getting Star Wars out of Lucas' hands is the best news of this century.

Yeah. They should only let him be a grip.

CHWolf
10-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Leia is now a Disney Princess.

Troy Wall
10-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Hail Disney.

Is it possible that one day Warner Bros could be inhaled by Disney?

Bishop
10-30-2012, 07:22 PM

I totally agree. Maybe now people that care for the property can work on it. I really hope they go with the Heir To The Empire trilogy for the next run of movies.

Phatman
10-30-2012, 07:24 PM
I just hope they start with a fresh slate and make some great movies. My only request for Episode 7 is a blaster shot into Jar Jar's dome at some point.

Co.Inkadink
10-30-2012, 07:32 PM
I just hope they start with a fresh slate and make some great movies.
:laugh:

Phatman
10-30-2012, 07:45 PM

The key word is "hope".

CHWolf
10-30-2012, 07:56 PM
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the - HOLY HELL, A NEW AFWUL STAR WARS MOVIE!!!!"

Disney: ABC, Pixar, Dreamworks, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Henson, more I'm forgetting...

Monopoly.

Troy Wall
10-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Dear Dark Horse, Marvel would like their Star Wars license back now.

CHWolf
10-30-2012, 08:57 PM
This begs the question... the legitimate question... Star Wars vs. Marvel - who wins?

Spidey vs. Luke, Darth vs. Doom, Jabba vs. Blob, Han vs. Punisher, Maul vs Toad (!), and so on.

Phatman
10-30-2012, 09:10 PM
This begs the question... the legitimate question... Star Wars vs. Marvel - who wins?

Spidey vs. Luke, Darth vs. Doom, Jabba vs. Blob, Han vs. Punisher, Maul vs Toad (!), and so on.

I'm more inclined to want a Deadpool or Punisher versus Jar Jar.

I wonder if Marvel will get the license. They aren't doing any other Disney stuff right now. Maybe Disney doesn't trust them?

Biofungus
10-30-2012, 09:11 PM
They are planning to make 7, 8 and 9 using Lucas' guidelines/story.

Gonzogoose
10-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Remember all those Disney/Marvel mash-ups we saw when they bought Marvel? Google images is about to blow up with Disney/Star Wars, Star Wars/Marvel and Disney/Star Wars/Marvel mash-ups! lol

As for the comic licenses, they slowly pulled the Disney comic licenses from Boom and started slowly releasing stuff through Marvel. Right now they are just publishing the various magazines (Fairies, Cars, etc.), but I think we'll see more of that over time.

Dark Horse responded on CBR about it saying they'd still have the license for a while, but that could change in a few years.

Gonzogoose
10-30-2012, 09:21 PM
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the - HOLY HELL, A NEW AFWUL STAR WARS MOVIE!!!!"

Disney: ABC, Pixar, Dreamworks, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Henson, more I'm forgetting...

Monopoly.

ESPN, MGM, Hyperion, interest in A&E, Touchstone...

Moonrider
10-30-2012, 09:23 PM
I'm more inclined to want a Deadpool or Punisher versus Jar Jar.

Better yet.
JAR JAR KILLS THE MARVEL UNIVERSE

Because there are no bad characters, only bad writers.

Troy Wall
10-30-2012, 11:30 PM
Dark Horse responded on CBR about it saying they'd still have the license for a while, but that could change in a few years.

I think Dark Horse's publishing of Star Wars comics will end immediately after their current license expires. Whether that date be two days from now, two months from now, or two years from now....only Richardson knows. He had to issue that rose colored response to be a good business man. But he knows there won't be any re-negotiations after his current license ends.

Disney has no interest in giving up profit to a third party when they own the world's biggest and most successful comics publishing house.

cheeseisgood1918
10-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Think of how awesome the Kingdom Hearts franchise could become....

CHWolf
10-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Remember back when things were just what they were, and then there was a new thing?

Troy Wall
10-31-2012, 12:28 AM
I say cluster fuck it ALL together and have Darth Vader and an animated Goofy in Avengers 2 just because it can be done. More is better. Let's make some dollars, people!

Gonzogoose
10-31-2012, 12:51 AM
I think Dark Horse's publishing of Star Wars comics will end immediately after their current license expires. Whether that date be two days from now, two months from now, or two years from now....only Richardson knows. He had to issue that rose colored response to be a good business man. But he knows there won't be any re-negotiations after his current license ends.

Disney has no interest in giving up profit to a third party when they own the world's biggest and most successful comics publishing house.

True, but I still think it'll be a few years before we see Marvel publishing Star Wars comics regardless.

Comix Obsession
10-31-2012, 01:10 AM
Is this good news, though? I mean, DISNEY handling Star Wars?? That wasn't exactly my dream vision. Disney isn't a company I look to for innovation and exciting future projects. Sure, they have produced some amazing stuff, but their 'vision' confounds me.

Star Wars needs some serious help. Lucas managed to turn HIS OWN CREATION into a joke. I loved reading the Star Wars books as a teen (and honestly I still do), but to see Lucas completely ignore those writer's hard work and rewrite a heck of a lot of what they had created really pissed me off. You really think Disney of all companies is going to give a s*** about Star Wars fans and the extended Universe that has been created??

This is worrying news.

CHWolf
10-31-2012, 01:30 AM
"You thought Star Wars was racist BEFORE?"

Evan Henry
10-31-2012, 04:27 AM
October 30, 2013: "DISNEY ANNOUNCES ACQUISITION OF CHINA"

Evan Henry
10-31-2012, 05:30 AM
"You thought Star Wars was racist BEFORE?"

Song of the South 2: Jar Jar Strikes Back

Mwynn
10-31-2012, 07:14 AM
Is this good news, though? I mean, DISNEY handling Star Wars?? That wasn't exactly my dream vision. Disney isn't a company I look to for innovation and exciting future projects. Sure, they have produced some amazing stuff, but their 'vision' confounds me.

Star Wars needs some serious help. Lucas managed to turn HIS OWN CREATION into a joke. I loved reading the Star Wars books as a teen (and honestly I still do), but to see Lucas completely ignore those writer's hard work and rewrite a heck of a lot of what they had created really pissed me off. You really think Disney of all companies is going to give a s*** about Star Wars fans and the extended Universe that has been created??

This is worrying news.

Disney is not innovative and forwarding thinking? Both the Marvel purchase and Lucasfilm purchase fill that role. As well as this http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyResearchHub and this http://www.disneyresearch.com/research/projects/hci_touche_drp.htm Not to mention those two parks on the East and West Coast.

Scribbly
10-31-2012, 07:46 AM
And all it did start with a mouse...

Comix Obsession
10-31-2012, 08:59 AM
Disney is not innovative and forwarding thinking? Both the Marvel purchase and Lucasfilm purchase fill that role. As well as this http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyResearchHub and this http://www.disneyresearch.com/research/projects/hci_touche_drp.htm Not to mention those two parks on the East and West Coast.

That's cool, thanks for the info. I think Disney is forward-thinking, I just don't know what they are thinking of. Like I said, I don't see them as very innovative - but maybe that's the point, they are clearly a smart business, buying up companies whose 'vision' far outdoes their own. Pixar was the start, I believe.

But anyway, look at Disney movies and look at Pixar movies and I still see them as something vastly different. When I see 'Disney' attached to a film that is made by one of their many off-shoot companies, I get a little nervous. I don't really know why, Disney have never really done anything to make me think they aren't good at what they do, it's just I have this image of a man in a suit leaning over the shoulder of the talent and cutting things out because they don't fit the 'Disney' way. Maybe I'm paranoid.

Also, Disney stole 'The Lion King' from Japan, so that kinda makes me think they suck, too.

Duane Korslund
10-31-2012, 09:48 AM

This is worrying news.

I agree...I really enjoy the EU (expanded Universe) and lucas comes along and arbitrarily screws it up on a regular basis...well...disney is going to all out destroy it. I have no doubt that 7,8,and 9 are going to totally negate 30 + years worth of EU novels(even if the majority of the ones in the 80's and 90's kinda sucked) that were supposed to be canonical. I LOVED the fact that the post ROTJ timeline was preserved in the novels...and if Disney undoes that....Star Wars is dead to me...even though it already should be with the return of Darth Maul...wtf....

cheeseisgood1918
10-31-2012, 09:54 AM
At this point the Star Wars franchise has nowhere to go but up. Some people defend what Lucas did with the prequals, some people hate them. Whatever. I started getting sick of the whole thing when Lucas decided the trilogy he made 20 years before wasn't really finished and started to change and rerelease the same damn films over and over. What's Disney gonna do to shit on this franchise any more than Lucas already did? Is it sort of moot any more?

And really, what's the concern? I haven't seen Disney ruin Marvel yet. They paid 4 billion for this acquisition, I'm pretty sure they're going to try to put competing people in charge of any projects coming up, and if they don't, who cares? Nothing they think up could be any worse than Jar-Jar.

Mwynn
10-31-2012, 10:09 AM
I agree...I really enjoy the EU (expanded Universe) and lucas comes along and arbitrarily screws it up on a regular basis...well...disney is going to all out destroy it. I have no doubt that 7,8,and 9 are going to totally negate 30 + years worth of EU novels(even if the majority of the ones in the 80's and 90's kinda sucked) that were supposed to be canonical. I LOVED the fact that the post ROTJ timeline was preserved in the novels...and if Disney undoes that....Star Wars is dead to me...even though it already should be with the return of Darth Maul...wtf....

The books were never canonical. Lucas said himself only what was on film was in Continuity.

Duane Korslund
10-31-2012, 10:12 AM
The books were never canonical. Lucas said himself only what was on film was in Continuity.

By rule of the king they were not OFFICIALLY Canonical...BUT everyone involved in Loremaking...and even the king himself, used them as reference and Lore, and everyone stayed true to them. Like an unspoken rule...and it was an unspoken rule I liked...as a matter of fact...I recall when they first started expanded universe, there was a decree that all EU had to be tied together properly...its about as close to canon as possible.

Justice41
10-31-2012, 10:18 AM
You guys act as if Disney swooped in and took this From Lucas. Lucas Sold LucasFilms. Did he sell ILM and Skywalker Sound as well? I really couldn't give two shits what these companies do. If and when they put out bad material then that's on them. Somewhere down the line I see a some sort of Anti-tryst lawsuit but till then....meh

Justice41
10-31-2012, 10:20 AM
By rule of the king they were not OFFICIALLY Canonical...BUT everyone involved in Loremaking...and even the king himself, used them as reference and Lore, and everyone stayed true to them. Like an unspoken rule...and it was an unspoken rule I liked...as a matter of fact...I recall when they first started expanded universe, there was a decree that all EU had to be tied together properly...its about as close to canon as possible.

Star wars fans are a bunch of fanatical wacko's. I guess the Marvel comics were canon as well?

Duane Korslund
10-31-2012, 10:31 AM
Star wars fans are a bunch of fanatical wacko's. I guess the Marvel comics were canon as well?

Hmm...must be wednesday...

Buckyrig
10-31-2012, 12:02 PM
When I see 'Disney' attached to a film that is made by one of their many off-shoot companies, I get a little nervous. I don't really know why,

They make things hokier than they would otherwise be. I think of a movie like Miracle, which was flatter than it should have been. It's a story that's nearly impossible to fuck up, the audience gives you a wider berth on the maudlinism because it's a sports movie (with a patriotic bonus), and they still relied too much on the audience to just feel a certain way about the story.

It's not attributed to Disney per se, but The Critic nailed it in this episode. (http://www.avclub.com/articles/dial-m-for-mother,65405/)

(Scroll down for the clip)

Troy Wall
10-31-2012, 02:49 PM
The whole expanded universe thing has always been just for fun...everyone knows the novels, crap video games, cartoons and comics etc. aren't an official part of the story. The products are just given a blessing by Lucas so the fans can stay invested in what they enjoy. That's a good thing...a lot of EU material has been god-awful...the bad outweighs the good IMO.

I wish they would break away completely from the Luke / Anakin/Darth Vader based lore for the new trilogy. Create an all-new cast and drama to follow that is informed by what came before.

But I do think they could make more billions if they simply continue directly from ROTJ and cast a new Luke Skywalker who is re-establishing the Jedi order. For some reason I can't see them casting a new Han Solo...I just see him being written out of the new movies. Maybe because Harrison Ford is so hard to replace.

Duane Korslund
10-31-2012, 03:11 PM
The whole expanded universe thing has always been just for fun...everyone knows the novels, crap video games, cartoons and comics etc. aren't an official part of the story. The products are just given a blessing by Lucas so the fans can stay invested in what they enjoy. That's a good thing...a lot of EU material has been god-awful...the bad outweighs the good IMO.

I wish they would break away completely from the Luke / Anakin/Darth Vader based lore for the new trilogy. Create an all-new cast and drama to follow that is informed by what came before.

But I do think they could make more billions if they simply continue directly from ROTJ and cast a new Luke Skywalker who is re-establishing the Jedi order. For some reason I can't see them casting a new Han Solo...I just see him being written out of the new movies. Maybe because Harrison Ford is so hard to replace.

I dunno...as a "Wacko" Star Wars fan, I got invested in the EU...Leia had kids...most of them died...Luke had a kid...there's about 40+ years of post ROTJ history that disney could possibly wipe out...and for someone who's been reading and following since the first novels...I kinda hate that idea. Canon or not...that's alot of good lore gone to waste...I personally believe in continuing a universe after it has left the movie/tv medium. Star Trek has recently reformatted novels to follow a single continuum, Buffy the vampire slayer has done that in the comics now...its a new trend that I support...I probably wont support something that comes along and wrecks that.
Cant really say "what about Marvel" because Marvels continuity is completely jacked as it is...and was before disney bought it out...
Right now Star wars operates under a single (for the most part) continuity..and as screwed up as it is...it has remained singular.
What would happen if they decided not only was the EU not canon, but they didnt want luke and leia to be sibblings...albeit it would make a helluva lot more sense...but its rewriting something ingrained in the Lore...Maybe Anakin didnt build C3PO...maybe Jar Jar was run over by a Bantha with herpes(actually I'd let that one play out...)..even if it seems like a good idea you're still messing with the core story. I just dont want to see nearly 40 years of history run roughshod over...anymore than its creator already has...HAN FRICKIN SHOT FIRST!
Maybe it galls me that Lucas is letting someone else ruin Star Wars instead of manning up and doing it his damned self like he started....I dunno...

Mwynn
10-31-2012, 03:23 PM
How do you wipe out something that was not canon anyway? The stories will still exist. They do not have the decide those stories are not canon, that was already decided.

Duane Korslund
10-31-2012, 03:33 PM
How do you wipe out something that was not canon anyway? The stories will still exist. They do not have the decide those stories are not canon, that was already decided.

honestly I dont know...I just know that I felt it was part of the story...it took on an importance all its own and by officially replacing the non-canon with something else you destroy the validity of that story in my eyes...I would hope I'm not the only one...I dont see the last 30+ years of novels as side stories or alternate universes because for a VERY long time, that's all we got from star wars...we had 3 movies, some shitty cartoons, and some marginally less shity novels...that was star wars...at I for one looked forward to every single new novel that came out, because that was all we were going to see from Luke and company...so they became part of the continuity for me...whether its canon or not doesnt matter to me...they're wiping out(or will wipe out) my perception of star wars continuity...I think if Lucas came along and did episode 7 without selling out to disney and it wiped out the last 30 years of novels, comics, shitty cartoons, and video games I'd be just as pissed.
He wanted the fans to be invested...well mission accomplished....the real tragedy is that he took that investment and shat upon it...and continues to do so and most likely will continue to do so till the bitter end...then he'll wipe his ass, pick up has pants, and hand Disney the roll of toilet paper.
Anyway, to answer the question....I guess to me (and I hope to others so I dont seem like a COMPLETE lunatic) it was canon, whether he said so or not...a lot of people took heed on the word that episode 7 was never going to happen...maybe ROTJ was as far as visual medium was going to go...so let literature and more talented writers craft the universe from there on out...
Guess I was wrong...I'll get over it...I'll move on...just most likely without Star Wars

CHWolf
10-31-2012, 05:16 PM
The original actors are a bit up in years for starring roles, casting known characters with boy-toys, etc., has been seen to be a target for fan rage, and there's a lot of non-canon-canon to deal with or ignore and make people irate...

If Disney's doing their homework on this, episode VII will relate loosely to the events of the past films, felt in echos, but focus on an entirely new cast and a new plot.

Space is a big place. There's more than enough room in the Starwars Universe to focus on people who may have been involved in the wars, but have heretofor been "unknown".

Justice41
10-31-2012, 05:43 PM
No Kors, I meant what about the Marvel Star Wars comics Canon, Does that also count? And yeah you guys are nuts. Han Shot First? What is that all about and frankly don't bother answering as i don't give a shit.

Justice41
10-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Meh disney will hire all the old farts to be generals and what not in some new war. Can't be Star Wars without the Wars. The SW wacko's will eat it up no matter what is put out and feel shamed they did. They'll scrub themselves raw with wire brushes yet they will..... see any and all new Star wars crap that any studio shits out.

Co.Inkadink
10-31-2012, 07:04 PM
I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly typing on their computers and flaming.

cheeseisgood1918
10-31-2012, 08:00 PM
Lucas fought the EU at every turn. Yeah, he let people license it, and he even referenced it himself on occasion. That's the point though, he obviously liked some of the ideas himself, but was too egotistical to call anything he wasn't directly involved in canon. I would say that if anything, new ownership, be it Disney or anyone else, gives the EU a better chance to thrive.

Biofungus
10-31-2012, 10:56 PM
I say cluster fuck it ALL together and have Darth Vader and an animated Goofy

I believe they're reserving that for the next "Kingdom Hearts" game.

Comix Obsession
11-01-2012, 01:59 AM

That's bulls**t and you know it. I'm completely with Kors on this, I've always thought (and I was completely unaware that Lucas had said otherwise) that the novels and comics are canon, and it makes a lot of sense since these stories have made the Star Wars Universe what it is for fans. I've only read about a third of one of the Boba Fett novels, but I absolutely LOVED reading the short story collections. Those stories for me told me a lot about characters that appeared on film for maybe 10 seconds, and added a lot more to the films than I had even previously considered. This is why I call your comment bulls**t, not as an attack against you, but rather outrage at such opinions (which are obviously held by Lucasfilm). These stories have added to the Universe in a huge way, to ignore them because they weren't written by Lucas (THANK GOD!) is a travesty. It deeply saddened me to see Boba Fett's backstory changed from the original (which was awesome) to some typical Hollywood nonsense and an opportunity for a good poster image (holding his father's decapitated head/helmet in his hands amongst the ruins of a battlefield).

So, yeah, it sucks that Lucas did this. It also sucks even more so because of one simple fact: Lucasarts OFFICIALLY licensed a product a good few years back entitled Star Wars: Behind the Magic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Behind_the_Magic) that includes a huge history of the characters, including EU characters. Not only that, but if you look at the backstory at characters like Boba Fett, you will see the story differs greatly from what Lucas changed.

So yeah, Lucas has been an asshole about this, as far as I'm concerned. The EU is canon for most fans, and even if Lucas doesn't think so, it shouldn't just be up to him - there are so many creative people that have been involved in making Star Wars what it is. The sheer amount of money that Lucas has received from licensing and products based off-of the EU should mean something.

...I guess to me (and I hope to others so I dont seem like a COMPLETE lunatic) it was canon, whether he said so or not...a lot of people took heed on the word that episode 7 was never going to happen...maybe ROTJ was as far as visual medium was going to go...so let literature and more talented writers craft the universe from there on out...
Guess I was wrong...I'll get over it...I'll move on...just most likely without Star Wars

Agree completely. All this is making me want to dig out my Star Wars novels, now.

No Kors, I meant what about the Marvel Star Wars comics Canon, Does that also count? And yeah you guys are nuts. Han Shot First? What is that all about and frankly don't bother answering as i don't give a shit.

Look, kids, someone starting s*** on the Internet!

CHWolf
11-01-2012, 04:16 AM
Disney announce Episode VII to "Focus on a plucky band of Chewbacca's adorable preteen offspring", will be "More Plush, less Action Figure". (http://i-was-just-kidding.com/i-bet-you-almost-had-a/heartattack.php)

Mwynn
11-01-2012, 07:45 AM
So yeah, Lucas has been an asshole about this, as far as I'm concerned. The EU is canon for most fans, and even if Lucas doesn't think so, it shouldn't just be up to him - there are so many creative people that have been involved in making Star Wars what it is. The sheer amount of money that Lucas has received from licensing and products based off-of the EU should mean something.

This is why he had 100% complete control over Lucasarts. Why should it have not been up to him, he created it. Way to many people have wrapped themselves up emotionally into these movies. Sure the EU meant something it meant $$$$$.

Justice41
11-01-2012, 10:25 AM
This is why he had 100% complete control over Lucasarts. Why should it have not been up to him, he created it. Way to many people have wrapped themselves up emotionally into these movies. Sure the EU meant something it meant $$$$$.

This is why Star Wars fans are Wack jobs. They actually think they have any say in anything Lucas does with his creations. Delusional assholes one and all.

Mwynn
11-01-2012, 10:55 AM
I can imagine someone trying to get a class action lawsuit to block Disney from making more movies.

Comix Obsession
11-01-2012, 10:55 AM

Hence my link to that product released where the EU is used as background to the characters. I have that CD-Rom at home and it's awesome. What gets me is that Lucasarts are happy to use the EU when they want to cash in, but when it comes down to it it is just a cash grab. It's pretty shameful, but there you go - this is the way things are I guess.

Lucas will do anything for money, I think, just like Justice will do anything to start fights in a thread. Lucas just has the smarts.

Mwynn
11-01-2012, 11:29 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sns-rt-us-media-lucasfilm-donationbre8a00u3-20121101,0,2982159.story

LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - George Lucas plans to put a sizable portion of his windfall from the $4 billion sale of his Lucasfilm to Disney into a foundation supporting education, Lucasfilm said in a statement Wednesday.

Lucas is currently the chairman of Edutopia, part of the George Lucas Educational Foundation. Lucas could put money into the foundation or create a new foundation funded from the sale. In 2006, the George Lucas Educational Foundation donated $175 million to the filmmaker's alma mater USC.

Justice41
11-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Somethings up with Lucas. I'm starting to think he has a terminal disease or one of his kids does. Somethings up.

Mwynn
11-01-2012, 11:49 AM
http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2012/11/george-lucas-told-mark-hamill-and-carrie-fisher-about-star-wars-7-last-year.html

The news that Disney is acquiring Lucasfilm came as a surprise to most people, but apparently there were two original "Star Wars" cast members who were already in the know. George Lucas had talked at his future plans to stars Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher as early as last summer.

"He did tell us last summer about wanting to go on and do 'VII,' 'VIII,' and 'IX' and that [newly appointed Lucasfilm president] Kathleen Kennedy would be doing them," Hamill tells Entertainment Weekly.

Apparently Hamill thought the lunch date Lucas asked them to was going to be about something else entirely: namely, Lucas's impending retirement. But while we know Lucas is still on his way out, the topic of conversation was something much more surprising.

"Last August, he asked Carrie and I to have lunch with him, and we did," Hamill says. "I thought he was going to talk about either his retirement or the 'Star Wars' TV series that I've heard about ... So when he said, 'We decided we're going to do "Episodes VII," "VIII," and "IX,"' I was just gobsmacked. 'What? Are you nuts?!'"

Buckyrig
11-01-2012, 01:23 PM
I can imagine someone trying to get a class action lawsuit to block Disney from making more movies.

Duane Korslund
11-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Star Wars Episode VII: The Geriatric Menace

I havent seen recent pics of of Carrie Fischer...but....if its anything like a few years ago...I guess she could be cast as a descendant of Jabba's....

Notice good ol Harrison Ford was not mentioned...no Han? Wont' work.
I just dont see any conceivable way a live action episode VII would work.
People are going to gripe no matter what...I dont think there's anyway to minimize the griping and make it the best possible movie they can...which is why I personally object...If I'm wrong...huzzah! And of course cutting out the EU automatically kills it for me if that happens...glad I wasnt alone on that :D

Buckyrig
11-01-2012, 02:05 PM
The EU is so expansive and quality-inconsistent that you might as well require fidelity to fanfic while you're at it.

Justice41
11-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Star Wars Episode VII: The Geriatric Menace

I havent seen recent pics of of Carrie Fischer...but....if its anything like a few years ago...I guess she could be cast as a descendant of Jabba's....

I just dont see any conceivable way a live action episode VII would work.
People are going to gripe no matter what...I dont think there's anyway to minimize the griping and make it the best possible movie they can...which is why I personally object...If I'm wrong...huzzah! And of course cutting out the EU automatically kills it for me if that happens...glad I wasnt alone on that :D
The EU don't exist in Lucas's Dojo or any other sane persons. It's all basically fanfic bro. live with it.

CHWolf
11-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Somethings up with Lucas. I'm starting to think he has a terminal disease or one of his kids does. Somethings up.

Sometimes people are nice and charitable. Sometimes people have enough money. Lucas was in a land battle with his fru-fru neighbors who didn't want him to build despite the jobs it would create for the area, so he sold the property for low-rent housing just to fuck them all. The man just likes to live like one of his characters.

Justice41
11-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Naw this smacks of I'm dying and I don't need the hassle, I need to concentrate on my health blah blah blah kick the bucket.

CHWolf
11-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Your heart is two sizes too small.

Moonrider
11-01-2012, 09:52 PM

Doesn't mean that he won't be involved. It just mean that out of the three main characters, Ford is the only one who still have a real acting job and has no time for lunch dates.

CHWolf
11-01-2012, 10:04 PM
If Han's in it, that's the only way I really want to see the offspring of a main character.

"GIVE ME BACK MY SON."

Justice41
11-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Your heart is two sizes too small.

What Heart?

CHWolf
11-01-2012, 10:48 PM
The one you took out of that toddler when it wouldn't give you its candy.

Justice41
11-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Alright, just say you have no more to say about the topic.

Biofungus
11-02-2012, 01:10 AM
Also keep in mind: His live action Star Wars series is 100 episodes, and he refused to let anyone show it without a full 5 season commitment. This, plus the fan backlash that caused him to consider retiring, probably contributed to his willingness to sell. I think there was also something going on with his facilities (ILM, Skywalker Ranch, etc) on a "property tax/issues" type level, which maybe something else he just didn't want to deal with.

CHWolf
11-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Selling to Disney might be partly similar to that land deal I mentioned previously. Want him to retire? Fine, here's Mickey.

Alright, just say you have no more to say about the topic.

"Wahh wahh wahh."

You asked, I answered. The End.

Comix Obsession
11-02-2012, 08:42 AM
Doesn't mean that he won't be involved. It just mean that out of the three main characters, Ford is the only one who still have a real acting job and has no time for lunch dates.

I seriously doubt Ford will go near anything Star Wars related. He made it pretty clear that Lucas basically was f***ing up the original trilogy by messing with them (at least that's what I read at the time). I could be completely wrong, but I'd be very surprised to see Ford related to episode 7 at all.

The EU is far from fanfic. The ideas from the books have been used in the more recent films to some degree, and like I've mentioned a couple of times previously, officially licensed products using the EU have been released by Lucasarts. In all honestly, with such an expansive universe, I'd be more interested to follow the exploits of new characters (that is, characters we aren't familiar with). The Bounty Hunters would make for awesome stories - and perhaps Disney could redeem Boba Fett somewhat (and also take away that completely unfitting NZ accent).

Bishop
11-02-2012, 10:16 AM
The Bounty Hunters would make for awesome stories - and perhaps Disney could redeem Boba Fett somewhat (and also take away that completely unfitting NZ accent).

The opening scene in Episode 7 should be Boba Fett blasting his way out of the Sarlacc Pit.

Duane Korslund
11-02-2012, 10:23 AM
The opening scene in Episode 7 should be Boba Fett blasting his way out of the Sarlacc Pit.

all I could envision was Robot chicken boba fett in the Sarlacc...

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/mo10xiHvR_c/0.jpg

Buckyrig
11-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Fuck Boba Fett.

He's not a character. He was a cool-looking action figure. That's the entirety of his appeal.

CHWolf
11-02-2012, 02:53 PM
^ BOOM, BITCHES.
<hurr>

Bishop
11-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Fuck Boba Fett.

He's not a character. He was a cool-looking action figure. That's the entirety of his appeal.

All that means is there is plenty of room to make him into an awesome character that matches his awesome visual.

Troy Wall
11-02-2012, 11:45 PM
I believe they're reserving that for the next "Kingdom Hearts" game.

To hell with that. Marvel/Disney characters/Star Wars needs to mashed up from now on in EVERY movie and TV show. That long talked about Stars Wars television drama? Put Thanos in that whore and Marvin the Martian to boot.

Wait, Marvin Martian is WB....

Ah well, put him in there anyway.

RandallFlagg
11-02-2012, 11:58 PM
You know, we keep bitching back and forth about Star Wars, but Lucas owned a lot of other properties.

The fact that Disney owns these properties gives me hope for a kick ass animated Zombies Ate My Neighbors movie!

Bishop
11-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Or a Willow remake! In 3D!!

CHWolf
11-03-2012, 12:58 AM
A Zombies Ate My Neighbors series would be nice...

Because technically you could shoe-horn in any number of Marvel/Disney/Star Wars monsters and it'd actually work. (Along with the REQUIRED original line-up.)

"Oh, no! There's a Sarlaac in the quarry!"

Biofungus
11-03-2012, 02:46 AM
And into CGI Han's face.

Two birds, one blaster.

Troy Wall
11-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Was Indiana Jones included in the deal? Or was there some odd term rider that precluded it from being acquired?

The only reason I ask is because I haven't seen a single word about Indiana Jones online in any of the million news pieces.

Mwynn
11-03-2012, 11:23 AM
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/01/disney-lucasfilm-deal-indiana-jones/

Comix Obsession
11-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Fuck Boba Fett.

Your face is the entirety of his appeal!

Boba Fett's appeal comes from his mystery (now destroyed by Lucas). Fans wanted to know more about him because of his huge impact on Han Solo's story. Boba Fett was one of the most popular secondary characters in the films because of his look and mystique. It's why many, many stories have been written about him, and why so many fans were pissed at his origin story as written by Lucas.

In short: Boba Fett is awesome.

CHWolf
11-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Does anyone else think Lucas named characters by open-handed slapping the keys of his typewriter?

Be honest.

ggyoagagh v eruigt789t789gtgh b hyrg ygr g boba fett tu8tw wyt wygyhw

Moonrider
11-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Boba Fett's appeal comes from his mystery (now destroyed by Lucas). Fans wanted to know more about him because of his huge impact on Han Solo's story. Boba Fett was one of the most popular secondary characters in the films because of his look and mystique. It's why many, many stories have been written about him, and why so many fans were pissed at his origin story as written by Lucas.

He's a punk ass who in movie canon died like a sissy.

Does anyone else think Lucas named characters by open-handed slapping the keys of his typewriter?

Be honest.

Hunt solo >> Han Solo
... are 2D too? >> R2D2
Whoo-pee >> Wookie
Look! A sky walker! >> Luke Skywalker
Dark father >> darth vader
Bubba, fight. >> Boba Fett
Jabberwocky, Pizza Hut >> Jabba The Hutt

this is fun.

Comix Obsession
11-04-2012, 01:45 AM

Be honest.

Totally. That's why it's so fun making up Star Wars names. It's also why the character names are so memorable!

Not true. Never was it said he died in the Sarlaac Pit.

Comix Obsession
11-04-2012, 01:46 AM

Be honest.

Totally. That's why it's so fun making up Star Wars names. It's also why the character names are so memorable!

Biofungus
11-04-2012, 02:53 AM
Lucas hated Fett. And it pissed him off that what he considered such a throwaway character became so popular. That's why he punked him in RotJ and tossed him in the Sarlaac (in the most embarrassing, feasible way he could think of).

The reason Lucas isn't fond of the EU is because much of it tends to incorporate (or expound upon) elements that Lucas himself didn't care for, but felt needed to be there for completeness sake.

Biofungus
11-04-2012, 02:54 AM
Lucas hated Fett. And it pissed him off that what he considered such a throwaway character became so popular. That's why he punked him in RotJ and tossed him in the Sarlaac (in the most embarrassing, feasible way he could think of).

The reason Lucas isn't fond of the EU is because much of it tends to incorporate (or expound upon) elements that Lucas himself didn't care for, but felt needed to be there for completeness sake.

Moonrider
11-04-2012, 09:17 PM

Unless I see the same character alive and well in his next chronological movie canon appearance, dead is dead. So there.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
11-05-2012, 10:43 AM
This turned up, who knows if there is anything to it:

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/star-wars-episode-7-is-about-luke-skywalker/

Star Wars: Episode 7 is about Luke Skywalker
by James Hoare, 3 November 2012
New Star Wars trilogy will involve Luke Skywalker and original cast, according to insiders
Luke Skywalker 30-odd years on from Return Of The Jedi on the cover of Star Wars: Inferno

MarketSaw claim to have an incredibly reputable inside source (who claims to have a disreputable one?) feeding them them information on the Disney/LucasFilm deal, and he reckons, “Luke Skywalker is a primary focus, as are many of the original trilogy cast. Disney also realised that George Lucas and Star Wars are one and the same, so George will certainly have a voice on any angle taken, in fact I believe it’s one of many stipulations.

“There are two trilogies planned, all following an original overview by Lucas, which was always planned as a multi generational saga. Movies 10 – 12 are from my understanding about the offspring of the Skywalkers, set many years later with the surviving cast playing much older versions of themselves and featuring a female protagonist named Skywalker.

“This is something that I understand is being discussed as the latest trilogy may end up being an amalgamation of the two using themes and ideas from both, but still keeping the general story, also allowing for continuity of cast.”

This sort of thing is obviously going to be a big part of our lives for the next few years, so stay sceptical/cautiously optimistic folks.

Buckyrig
11-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Your face is the entirety of his appeal!

You can't cite his 'mystery' and then argue that Lucas's treatment specifically destroyed that, when logically any treatment would.

Buckyrig
11-05-2012, 10:50 AM
What the?

Bishop
11-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Lucas hated Fett. And it pissed him off that what he considered such a throwaway character became so popular.

Is there a source for that or is it just speculation?

Lovecraft13
11-05-2012, 04:23 PM
To be fair, I did offer Lucas $15 for Lucasfilm. The negotiations didn't go so well.

CHWolf
11-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Hunt solo >> Han Solo
... are 2D too? >> R2D2
Whoo-pee >> Wookie
Look! A sky walker! >> Luke Skywalker
Dark father >> darth vader
Bubba, fight. >> Boba Fett
Jabberwocky, Pizza Hut >> Jabba The Hutt

this is fun.

It's weird how many folks actually believe that, though. "Dark Father" and all that, despite it being debunked.

Lucas' naming scheme is even simpler.

Maul - Maul
Sidious - Insidious
Vader - Invader

I'd sooner believe Darth is just "Dark", as in "Dark Side". So "Dark Invader".

For everything that isn't a word salad, make up gibberish.

And so on.

Just for fun, can anyone tell me which character was crassly named after the revenue it would generate for Lucas per each sale of the associated Merch?

"I'm A Dollar"

Buckyrig
11-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Admiral Akbar is a member of the Mon Calamari race.

That takes the cake for ridiculousness.

Moonrider
11-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Well the common perception may be 'Dark Father', but I always feel it in my gut that what Lucas was actually thinking is Duck Feather.

Admiral Akbar is a member of the Mon Calamari race.

That takes the cake for ridiculousness.

http://www.joystickdivision.com/1036036-barackbar_08_he_knows_when_its_a_trap_barack_obama _2008_campaign_spoof_admiral_ackbar_large.jpg

Ackbar Obama

Evan Henry
11-05-2012, 08:41 PM
"Dark Invader"

Awesomely enough, this is actually what I thought his name was between the ages of five and eight.

Troy Wall
11-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Total bullshit on the bizarro rumors that Cock Knocker is going to reprise his role as Luke Skywalker in a new Star Wars movie.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/13/article-2173229-140C495D000005DC-486_468x650.jpg

Bullshit. That ain't no Alec Guinness. Poor ol' Mark aged just like the rest of us....badly.

Same for Carrie Fisher, except even worse with fits of insanity.

Whatever happens in Episode VII, it won't involve these two actors. I guess they could trot Hamill in and CGI his mug and waistline for a five second cameo....

Troy Wall
11-05-2012, 11:06 PM
And I don't think Harrison Ford can channel a role he played almost 40 years ago. He's just so way past it. I think it would be a disaster.

Comix Obsession
11-05-2012, 11:38 PM

Which makes it worse. Basically he didn't care about anything other than the main characters - so other, more talented people come in and create a whole Universe around his series and he LETS THEM (because, hey, it's all money!) and then when he wants to he shits all over their work. If he didn't want people to use his creation as a jumping off point (which is completely understandable and no-one could argue that) then he should have said, quite simply, 'Not interested'. I'm sure he was still largely in control at this point. And even if he wasn't, I've never heard of Lucas complaining about the EU or refusing to use it when needed (merchandise, games, CD-ROMs).

I'm not entirely convinced Boba Fett was created by Lucas. And how can you resent a character you created becoming so famous?

You can't cite his 'mystery' and then argue that Lucas's treatment specifically destroyed that, when logically any treatment would.

Well I just did. I can see the conflicting statements I made, so let me make it clear - Boba Fett has a mysterious past. The EU never really delves into that past. His appeal comes largely from that mystery, lending to stories told about his future endeavours after ROTJ. What Lucas did was go and change that back story (as teasingly clued-at in the EU) to turn Boba Fett into nothing more than a one-dimensional character driven by revenge. He took him from interesting to atypical in one looooooooonnnnnnnnnggggg and awful film.

CHWolf
11-06-2012, 12:46 AM
Dude.

Right after Revenge of the Sith, a mysterious dude came out of nowhere and totally slaughtered the lil' clone, then stole the helmet and name.

You didn't get that?

:V

Justice41
11-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Total bullshit on the bizarro rumors that Cock Knocker is going to reprise his role as Luke Skywalker in a new Star Wars movie.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/13/article-2173229-140C495D000005DC-486_468x650.jpg

Bullshit. That ain't no Alec Guinness. Poor ol' Mark aged just like the rest of us....badly.

Whatever happens in Episode VII, it won't involve these two actors. I guess they could trot Hamill in and CGI his mug and waistline for a five second cameo....

Funny, he looks like Vader when the helmet came off.

Troy Wall
11-06-2012, 03:30 AM
Funny, he looks like Vader when the helmet came off.

And he's a terrible on screen actor to top it all off. Really, what are these folks smoking who are publishing these insane rumors?

I said on screen actor as to not upset anyone who worship Hamill's ability to voice the animated / video game Joker, of which there are legion.

Comix Obsession
11-06-2012, 04:41 AM
Dude.

Right after Revenge of the Sith, a mysterious dude came out of nowhere and totally slaughtered the lil' clone, then stole the helmet and name.

You didn't get that?

:V

That happened? Awesome, now I'm happy.

CHWolf
11-06-2012, 05:00 AM
That's what I do around here. Make everyone happy.

Moonrider
11-06-2012, 06:17 AM
And I don't think Harrison Ford can channel a role he played almost 40 years ago. He's just so way past it. I think it would be a disaster.

Still...

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/star-wars-rumor-alert-harrison-ford-is-open-to-reprising-his-role-as-han-solo

Evan Henry
11-06-2012, 06:29 AM
Still...

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/star-wars-rumor-alert-harrison-ford-is-open-to-reprising-his-role-as-han-solo

Just out of sheer geekiness, I so totally want to see that happen. Sure, there is a decent chance that it could be incredibly, extremely awful, but those fifteen minutes or so before you realize just how awful it really is? Worth it.

Biofungus
11-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Is there a source for that or is it just speculation?
He's actually said in interviews (mostly after RotJ, but some blurbs popped up again with the Special Editions) that he doesn't understand why Fett was so popular, it was a character he never particularly cared for (which was why he made him "faceless").

Duane Korslund
11-06-2012, 10:03 AM

Maybe Disney will take some of that 4 billion and pony up for a SHITTON of plastic surgery for pizza face Hammil, Carrie the Hutt, and Geriatric Jones....make em look 30 years younger! Who needs CGI when you can slather on the Botox!

CHWolf
11-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Hayden Christiansen could/should play them ALL.

Troy Wall
11-06-2012, 04:52 PM
The new trilogy needs but one of the original trilogy cast members...Billy Dee Williams.

Duane Korslund
11-06-2012, 05:05 PM
The new trilogy needs but one of the original trilogy cast members...Billy Dee Williams.

You're right Billy Dee SHOULD play Luke Skywalker...

CHWolf
11-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Only if they scar half of Billy's face to make right that racist move to replace him with Tommy Lee Jones the minute his character became important.

Troy Wall
11-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Only if they scar half of Billy's face to make right that racist move to replace him with Tommy Lee Jones the minute his character became important.

Damn right. Billy Dee got the fucking shaft on that role! At least goofball Schumacher had to pay Billy Dee a decent sum of money to steal the role from him (so it is said...).

Biofungus
11-06-2012, 10:16 PM
You're right Billy Dee SHOULD play Luke Skywalker...
Did you see him on NCIS last week? It looks like he's been spending the last 20 years in the Sarlaac Pit...

Evan Henry
11-07-2012, 06:03 AM
Jeremy Bulloch (who?) talks about (http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=69721#Bd0J8Oij0rHqgm3U.99) playing Fett again, says, "The technology now exists to make his jet pack even more realistic and exciting." Now why do I find that quote so damn hilarious? :laugh:

Moonrider
11-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Here's an idea I got for a Star Wars universe story. A young boy was taken under the wings of an aged, battle weary bounty hunter implied as old Boba Fett. The boy showed no force sensitive potential except that he's a pretty good shot and good with machines. When a bounty hunting mission goes wrong because of the intervention of a mysterious figure dressed in black armor and wielding a purple lightsaber, the boy got separated and landed on a junkyard planet. It is there that he learned of his mysterious powers, the ability to create any weapon and machinery his mind could think of just by a thought. One of the rarest force user in the universe, he's been sought after by many sides including the surviving Sith remnants. The boy then got involved with a band of rebel force fighting against the oppressive Theocracy, a vicious government that rule the galaxy based on the extremist view of the Jedi Order, formed a decade after the mysterious disappearance of Luke Skywalker. In a role reversal, the boy grew to be a rebel champion against the now antagonistic Jedi Theocracy, aided by a female dark force practitioner who may have ties to the Skywalker bloodline. Meanwhile, the captured Boba Fett was given an offer he cannot refuse by a darker shadow. Bring back his adopted son in exchange for an immortal body infused with force powers. This is the universe where good and evil are no longer confined to light and dark, and there's more to a conflict than two warring factions struggling for control.

Comix Obsession
11-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Here's an idea I got for a Star Wars universe story. A young boy was taken under the wings of an aged, battle weary bounty hunter implied as old Boba Fett. The boy showed no force sensitive potential except that he's a pretty good shot and good with machines. When a bounty hunting mission goes wrong because of the intervention of a mysterious figure dressed in black armor and wielding a purple lightsaber, the boy got separated and landed on a junkyard planet. It is there that he learned of his mysterious powers, the ability to create any weapon and machinery his mind could think of just by a thought. One of the rarest force user in the universe, he's been sought after by many sides including the surviving Sith remnants. The boy then got involved with a band of rebel force fighting against the oppressive Theocracy, a vicious government that rule the galaxy based on the extremist view of the Jedi Order, formed a decade after the mysterious disappearance of Luke Skywalker. In a role reversal, the boy grew to be a rebel champion against the now antagonistic Jedi Theocracy, aided by a female dark force practitioner who may have ties to the Skywalker bloodline. Meanwhile, the captured Boba Fett was given an offer he cannot refuse by a darker shadow. Bring back his adopted son in exchange for an immortal body infused with force powers. This is the universe where good and evil are no longer confined to light and dark, and there's more to a conflict than two warring factions struggling for control.

This suffers from the same problems as 1, 2 and 3 did - too much focus on politics. I wasn't at all interested in Naboo and it's Government, and I don't think anyone else was, either. Nor was I interested in witnessing the Jedi Council (which was ridiculously executed, both in script and then literally), and nor did I care about ANYTHING to do with the Emperor and Anakin becoming Vader. It was handled like a TV drama - too much focus on the little things, forgetting that the audience already knew a great deal about the basic premise: ANAKIN BECOMES VADER. Let's face it, 1, 2 and 3 were all about that. So no, this doesn't really excite me at all. No one wants to see another kid running around Star Wars - I would seriously like to see something focusing more on the darker elements of the World, or perhaps at least something us adults can sink our teeth into.

Kudos, though - this would make a great EU novel... :whistlin:

Duane Korslund
11-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Honestly VII should really be a passing the torch movie...pick up at the end of the EU novels...(even though there are more slated). Main characters to take over: Master Jaina Solo-Fel, Jagged Fel, Some of the younger non-geriatric masters. Kyp Durron, Saba, etc...the younger jedi(many whom are now in their 30's), Lowbacca, Tahiri and maybe a few freshly minted Knights....Limited Han/Leia/Luke involvement. Jaina and company were technically groomed as "the next generation" before they killed off 2 of her siblings...of course...once again that's if they take into account the EU...

oh, and keep Chewbacca dead...it sucked that it happened, but its done...at least it was a good death...shaking his fists at a moon that's about to crash down upon him...

Biofungus
11-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Just so you know:

In the Star Wars universe, technology = dark side (part of Anakin's corruption is his immense amount of mechanical 'add ons', and also why Obi Wan told Luke to not use his targeting computer. It's Lucas' somewhat bullish way of making a statement).

Biofungus
11-07-2012, 02:33 PM
This suffers from the same problems as 1, 2 and 3 did - too much focus on politics. I wasn't at all interested in Naboo and it's Government, and I don't think anyone else was, either. Nor was I interested in witnessing the Jedi Council (which was ridiculously executed, both in script and then literally), and nor did I care about ANYTHING to do with the Emperor and Anakin becoming Vader.

So um... you hated Star Wars in general then? Because while the original trilogy wasn't hellbent on it, it was still a bit of galactic politics (heck, the whole premise is about "overthrowing the dirty regime in power"!)

It was handled like a TV drama - too much focus on the little things, forgetting that the audience already knew a great deal about the basic premise: ANAKIN BECOMES VADER. Let's face it, 1, 2 and 3 were all about that.

The original trilogy is essentially about Vader's redemption. Kind of helps to see how he got there in the first place. Not saying 1, 2 and 3 are masterpieces by any stretch, but you're kind of dismissing what is actually at the heart of the story. It'd be like a comedy in which the main character actually carries his head around in his arm. Sure, the movie could still go on with you constantly thinking in the back of your mind, "How come he's headless but still alive?", but it really helps the plot if you know how that aspect came to be.

So no, this doesn't really excite me at all. No one wants to see another kid running around Star Wars - I would seriously like to see something focusing more on the darker elements of the World, or perhaps at least something us adults can sink our teeth into.

Kudos, though - this would make a great EU novel... :whistlin:

Agree about the kid thing, but admittedly we probably all feel that way thanks to George's "casting prowess". At least Disney has a pretty good track record of using charming, likeable child actors. You also have to remember a couple of things: 1] Luke is the last Jedi. So either he ends the line, or is the beginning of a new one (which makes a kid inevitable) 2] The only way they can really continue the series is via new blood. Disney is talking about possibly *2* new trilogies. That means they're going to have to introduce characters that a] people will presumably care about/want to see more of in the future, and b] that they don't get locked into specific actors for said role. Best way to do that is to bring them in as kids, give 'em plenty of antics and screen time, then in the next set of movies you can have an older actor play the role.

Evan Henry
11-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Pardon me while I self-promote. (http://ingenre.com/2012/11/men-in-tights-why-star-wars-sequels-are-maybe-a-good-thing/) :whistlin:

Moonrider
11-07-2012, 07:17 PM
I think what really excites me when I watched the original trilogy was that it's basically a hero's journey from simple life to a complicated world full of alliances and warring states. A common JRPG story, actually. The politics were there from the beginning, with a democracy vs. dictatorship theme. I don't think my story has too much focus on politics because all you need to know is that there is this evil government and a rebel force just like the original trilogy, but with a few surprises thrown in. I'm well aware that Lucas positioned technology as the antithesis of Jedi religion, and I just think it's interesting to explore that a little more and let the audience decide which is really the dark side and which is the light side.

Sure, Lucas won't be reading this thread and I just made the story for fun. I'm sure the next Star Wars movie will be just as awesome as the Phantom Menace. ;)

Bishop
11-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Luke is the last Jedi. So either he ends the line, or is the beginning of a new one (which makes a kid inevitable)

I don't think being a Jedi is hereditary...

CHWolf
11-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Here's an idea.

The "Star Trek: TNG" of Star Wars. Nobody's related to anybody except by race.

PLEASE.

Hundreds of years after the farthest flung EU novel. Totally new storyline. Same basic elements. "Dark Side" a quaint relic nobody actually believes existed, then holy fuck.

Comix Obsession
11-07-2012, 10:58 PM
So um... you hated Star Wars in general then? Because while the original trilogy wasn't hellbent on it, it was still a bit of galactic politics (heck, the whole premise is about "overthrowing the dirty regime in power"!)

No, I love Star Wars. I said the new trilogy has TOO much focus on politics. The original trilogy kept it very simple - the Empire was bad, the Rebels were good. There was very little focus on the politics side, just as much as was needed to get the point across. The new trilogy was tedious.

The original trilogy is essentially about Vader's redemption. Kind of helps to see how he got there in the first place. Not saying 1, 2 and 3 are masterpieces by any stretch, but you're kind of dismissing what is actually at the heart of the story. It'd be like a comedy in which the main character actually carries his head around in his arm. Sure, the movie could still go on with you constantly thinking in the back of your mind, "How come he's headless but still alive?", but it really helps the plot if you know how that aspect came to be.

See, I don't agree. For years we all went by thinking that there probably wouldn't be any more Star Wars. Did Star Wars fans call out to know Vader's story? OK, yes, probably, I'll give you that - but was it an unanswered question all this time? No - we knew the story already! Anakin Skywalker was a student of Obi-Wan Kenobi, he was 'seduced' by the dark side and became Vader. Anyone interested enough could find out more by reading the EU novels focused on Vader. Of course, it was obvious that any new films would have focused on Vader's story - that's just inevitable, but it still doesn't change my opinion. We didn't need to see Anakin as a kid, because it wasn't essential. We could have had 3 films where Anakin is a teen, Anakin becomes a young Vader, and then concentrated perhaps on the start of the rebellion or something. It was a wasted opportunity to tell a much deeper story.

Agree about the kid thing, but admittedly we probably all feel that way thanks to George's "casting prowess". At least Disney has a pretty good track record of using charming, likeable child actors. You also have to remember a couple of things: 1] Luke is the last Jedi. So either he ends the line, or is the beginning of a new one (which makes a kid inevitable) 2] The only way they can really continue the series is via new blood. Disney is talking about possibly *2* new trilogies. That means they're going to have to introduce characters that a] people will presumably care about/want to see more of in the future, and b] that they don't get locked into specific actors for said role. Best way to do that is to bring them in as kids, give 'em plenty of antics and screen time, then in the next set of movies you can have an older actor play the role.

I have no problem with child leads. But yeah, perhaps Anakin was just particularly annoying. That said, I think it's perhaps that the original films were child-free, making them feel more adult, more gritty. I don't agree (again!) that the new films NEED to focus on the Skywalker family, nor do I feel that another Jedi film is the way to go. Of course lightsabers need to be included in there, but this is where I feel Lucas has been unfair to the writers of the EU - he can't seem to understand that not everyone cares about Jedi. See, the Jedi for me were never that interesting. I LOVE the ideas and in the original trilogy think it worked wonders - but look at the originals and look at the new ones, what do you have? The original trilogy has a definite 50/50 divide. There's the strong Jedi element, but there's also a strong 'un-Jedi' element. There's enough focus on other characters that it doesn't feel overdone. In the new trilogy the Jedi are everything. It's all Jedi. Jedi, Jedi, Jedi! We get it, people like shiny, glowing things.

I think the new films could take a different approach. Just like the upcoming 'Star Wars: 1313' game - we could see something different. I know Lucas shows little to no respect for the EU, but fans know better. There's a whole Universe now, whether Lucas likes it or not. There's a lot more to Star Wars than just Jedi stories. They could go a whole different route!

I just don't think Disney has enough drive to make anything a little different if it risks them making less money.

I think what really excites me when I watched the original trilogy was that it's basically a hero's journey from simple life to a complicated world full of alliances and warring states. A common JRPG story, actually. The politics were there from the beginning, with a democracy vs. dictatorship theme. I don't think my story has too much focus on politics because all you need to know is that there is this evil government and a rebel force just like the original trilogy, but with a few surprises thrown in.

If the focus wasn't too heavily on the regimes and rather on the individual stories within those regimes then, yes, it could work. It would be nice to see some new characters, that's for sure.

I'm just holding out for my 'Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter's tales' movie.

Jedi, Jedi, Jedi!

Duane Korslund
11-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Here's an idea.

The "Star Trek: TNG" of Star Wars. Nobody's related to anybody except by race.

PLEASE.

Hundreds of years after the farthest flung EU novel. Totally new storyline. Same basic elements. "Dark Side" a quaint relic nobody actually believes existed, then holy fuck.

I believe that is is actually the ONLY way they could make episode VII work...anything else involves way too much complication and is bound to severely piss off a lot of people. (not that someone somewhere wont be pissed off no matter what disney does)

Lucas and company have bled to death this particular 200 years of the galactic timeline...that's what the EU novels are for...

Buckyrig
11-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Casual fans (ie most people) aren't going to care about a story set in the Star Wars universe that isn't about the Skywalker family.

I think that may be where the everyone-is-a-Star-Wars-fan(s) and the geeks split. People liked the totality of Star Wars: the setting, the technology, force stuff, the basic adventure story, and the family/friends dynamic. Geeks will dig on any bit of minutiae about the universe itself. The Star Wars universe is entertaining in and of itself to them. I don't think that's automatic for the casual fans.

Duane Korslund
11-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Casual fans (ie most people) aren't going to care about a story set in the Star Wars universe that isn't about the Skywalker family.

I think that may be where the everyone-is-a-Star-Wars-fan(s) and the geeks split. People liked the totality of Star Wars: the setting, the technology, force stuff, the basic adventure story, and the family/friends dynamic. Geeks will dig on any bit of minutiae about the universe itself. The Star Wars universe is entertaining in and of itself to them. I don't think that's automatic for the casual fans.

people probably said that about star trek TOS when TNG came out...TNG was hugely successful...problem is if you base a universe on live action TV or film its destined to whither and die without some sort of time line jump (take Buffy for example) The actors get old, sometimes too old to portray the characters we all know and love. If you cant infuse new blood, the old blood dies....I'd love to see more luke han and leia...15-20 years ago would have been the time to do it...too late now...unless they do it absolutely ingeniously which I dont believe lucas or disney is capable of anymore...hell...I dont think hollywood in general is capable of ingenious originality anymore...

Case in point....Red Dawn remake...bastards!

Buckyrig
11-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Roddenberry actually got to make Next Generation closer to his vision than TOS ever was. It was a fresh start to try it again, and do it "right".

That passion and input is probably what made that work more than anything else. But more importantly, Star Trek was always about its underlying philosophy about human advancement and technology freeing us than it was about any particular characters, no matter how much viewers liked them.

Moonrider
11-08-2012, 11:53 AM

I don't think that casual fans care much about the Skywalkers either. The whole 'she's his sister Darth Vader is his dad' stuff gets confusing sometimes. All they would really care about are lightsaber fights and space battles.

Duane Korslund
11-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Roddenberry actually got to make Next Generation closer to his vision than TOS ever was. It was a fresh start to try it again, and do it "right".

That passion and input is probably what made that work more than anything else. But more importantly, Star Trek was always about its underlying philosophy about human advancement and technology freeing us than it was about any particular characters, no matter how much viewers liked them.

Granted Star Trek definitely has a stronger humanitarian philosophy, but Star Wars has no shortage of philosophy...its just buried under layers of crappy politics, laser pew pews, and lightsabers. That's what people see first.

I've always loved both trek/wars equally so its all about what satisfaction I want to derive at that particular time. If I want hope for the human race I dive into Trek, if I want a more esoteric spiritual experience I go with star wars...star wars has a less tangible message (ignoring the political side of it).
Family, religion, magic, fantasy...good vs evil...which is far more esoteric in trek...look at the borg...evil...but yet instinctual...a force of nature...Khan...evil...yet intelligent and abused

now i'm just ranting...blah...

Justice41
11-08-2012, 12:49 PM
GOD!! Fanboys! You guys can wring the fun out of of anything with your neediness.

CHWolf
11-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Blame yourself for reading a Star Wars thread on the internet.

Justice41
11-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Blame yourselves for being whiny needy suckbag fanboys. All this wishful thinking is mental masturbation.

CHWolf
11-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Blame yourself for whining about whiny needy suckbag fanboys.

Do you go to the Day Care center and bitch at all the drooling?

Moonrider
11-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Aaaand back to movie news.

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/hunger-games-michael-arndt-write-star-wars-abrams-bird-spielberg-offered-directors-chair

Let's face it, anything written for Star Wars VII at this point is basically fan fiction until the powers that be give it a go and get it produced.

And I masturbate whenever I feel like doing it.

WilliamStormeSmith
11-09-2012, 02:41 AM

This is worrying news.

I second this. The books and comics were so strong. Disney couldn't get John Carter right. The Avengers they had NOTHING to do with. It has to be better than the last three, but it is an easy win at the box office if they do something with Ford, Hamill, and Fisher even if all they have are cameos. Maybe Lucas can just do cameos like Stan Lee.

Biofungus
11-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Maybe Lucas can just do cameos like Stan Lee.

I'd love to see how they're going to fit in a cameo role for a lumberjack with a giant chicken wattle into each movie. Unless they go the "Where's Waldo" route and you have to really look for him.

Biofungus
11-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Aaaand back to movie news.

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/hunger-games-michael-arndt-write-star-wars-abrams-bird-spielberg-offered-directors-chair

Let's face it, anything written for Star Wars VII at this point is basically fan fiction until the powers that be give it a go and get it produced.

And I masturbate whenever I feel like doing it.
Star Wars 7 was already in pre-production (George has just put it on temporary hold and then announced his retirement because of the constant fan backlash). Disney has already said they're going to just pick up the ball and run with it as is. Plus he's already written treatments for 8 and 9.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
11-09-2012, 01:56 PM
After watching and listening to this, I don't much care now who buys what. Awesomeawesomeawesome....... David has an incredible voice.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/11/06/exclusive-clip-doctor-whos-david-tennant-guests-on-star-wars-the-clone-wars

From IGN:
Exclusive Clip: Doctor Who's David Tennant Guests on Star Wars: The Clone Wars

The Doctor becomes a droid.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars has had several great guest stars over the years known for iconic roles in other popular genre franchises, including George Takei, Simon Pegg and Katee Sackhoff. But for the first time, a Doctor is coming to the series, as none other than David Tennant appears on this coming Saturday’s “A Test of Strength.”

The episode continues the story arc begun last week, as a group of young Jedi set out to build their first lightsabers. The former Doctor Who star will voice Huyang, a droid who is a crucial part of this journey.
This was all set in motion when The Clone Wars' supervising director, Dave Filoni, discovered the joys of Doctor Who. As Filoni explained to IGN, “My wife was the one who got me watching Doctor Who and I am really glad she did. I remember thinking that the series (Doctor Who) had many of the same production challenges that we do on The Clone Wars - creating galactic scale adventures and planets with strange life forms.”

When it came to getting Tennant to appear on The Clone Wars, Filoni remarked, “As a fan that has the privilege of playing in the Star Wars galaxy, I am always on the lookout for others who appreciate, and would enjoy, an opportunity to go on an adventure in George’s galaxy far, far away. When I heard the Doctor himself, David Tennant, was a fan of Star Wars I knew I had to find a way to get in contact with him to see if he would perform on The Clone Wars. The result was ‘Huyang,’ an ancient droid in the service of the Jedi Order, whose sole task in life has been overseeing the construction of lightsabers. I thought David was perfect for the part and he did not disappoint. He delivered a performance which impressed even the Master himself, George Lucas.”

We’ve got an exclusive clip from the episode, featuring Tennant as Huyang, below.

Lovecraft13
11-11-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm already over these SW rumors, and it's only starting. We need official announcements and soon.