PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man 3 trailer

Mwynn
10-23-2012, 07:14 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5EjG-1U3wqA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Co.Inkadink
10-23-2012, 07:45 AM
Yes.

Duane Korslund
10-23-2012, 09:53 AM
looks pretty O.K. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Bishop
10-23-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm a fan, but after watching the trailer all I could think was, "Meh."

ponyrl
10-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Gotta agree with Bishop (who's got the juice now!) in the 'meh' feeling and I LOVE IM 1 & 2.

Don't know why I got a Michael Bay vibe from this...which is NOT a good thing.

CHWolf
10-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Would like to see a comic franchise where the hero's sanctuary isn't at some point invaded/destroyed.

It's a cheap gag they keep pulling as if we haven't seen it time and again. Boring.

dx
10-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Did not know this was coming out this soon.

So next years comic book movies number at three?

Superman: Man of Steel
Iron Man 3
Wolverine: Japan

dx
10-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Would like to see a comic franchise where the hero's sanctuary isn't at some point invaded/destroyed.

It's a cheap gag they keep pulling as if we haven't seen it time and again. Boring.

In the movies or all around? We need a list!

Troy Wall
10-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Did not know this was coming out this soon.

So next years comic book movies number at three?

Superman: Man of Steel
Iron Man 3
Wolverine: Japan

Thor 2

Troy Wall
10-23-2012, 10:00 PM
In the movies or all around? We need a list!

Batman Forever: Riddler/Two-Face destroy Batcave

Batman Begins: Ra's Al Ghul levels Wayne Manor

X-Men 2: William Stryker invades the mansion

Spider-Man: Green Goblin invades Parker home and...frightens Aunt May (worst use of a super villain's home invasion award)

Blade III: Baddies invade Blade's warehouse, off Whistler

All three Spider-Man films by Raimey: Villain invades anywhere MJ is living and holds her hostage to end the movie

Troy Wall
10-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Wanted to say regarding Iron Man 3.....I have never understood the Mandarin as the arch-nemesis for Iron Man. He's a dude with magical power rings.

He'd be a cool Dr. Strange villain.

CHWolf
10-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Batman Forever: Riddler/Two-Face destroy Batcave

Batman Begins: Ra's Al Ghul levels Wayne Manor

X-Men 2: William Stryker invades the mansion

Spider-Man: Green Goblin invades Parker home and...frightens Aunt May (worst use of a super villain's home invasion award)

Blade III: Baddies invade Blade's warehouse, off Whistler

All three Spider-Man films by Raimey: Villain invades anywhere MJ is living and holds her hostage to end the movie

Yeah, all that.

Also:

The Dark Knight had a temporary sanctuary not worth blowing up, so the violence was levelled against Bats' computer system (in the sanc, worth noting) and the signal.

Robin, in Batman Forever, simply gymnastics his way into invading the Batcave.

Superman 2, Lex and Zod's posse invade the fortress.

Superman Returns, Lex takes another trip to the fortress to pick up a few mementos.

And so on...

If you count purposefully bringing an outsider (Lois, any Bat-interest, the Senator from X-Men 1) back to the sanctuary, the number of soft 'invasion' instances climbs even higher.

To be fair, it's not unique to comic-book movies... just relatively over-used in comic-book movies. You can also see it on Lost, and at least twice on Breaking Bad. (RV, Hidden Lab.)

Really, these people would be safer conducting their secret business in a subway bathroom stall.

Wanted to say regarding Iron Man 3.....I have never understood the Mandarin as the arch-nemesis for Iron Man. He's a dude with magical power rings.

He'd be a cool Dr. Strange villain.

Do you mean meta-wise, or in-story? Meta-wise he's just a hold-over from the "Us vs. Them" propaganda period. It would probably be worse to get rid of him than to try (key word: try) to make him less of a stereotype. Though a bit of that will always remain... ie: Far-East Asians Got Magic, Y'all!

In-story, I don't know anymore. I think he was tied to IM's origin and had a mad-on for him ever since, but I have no idea if that's still true.

TBH, the only villains that make sense for Tony in-story are corporate fat-cats, rival inventors, irked former employees, that kind of stuff. Doesn't make for a very exciting variety of people/powers. Sooo every so often you have to throw in a magic ring or two.

Biofungus
10-23-2012, 11:23 PM
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/173329-does-the-mandarin-have-a-connection-to-captain-america?utm_campaign=facebookfan&utm_source=facebookfan&utm_medium=referral

One of the most exciting treats revealed in today's Iron Man 3 trailer is that Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark directly references the events of Marvel's The Avengers and his hardships during the battle of New York. That's a strong suggestion that, moving forward, Marvel Studios plans to fully embrace the continuity of its cinematic universe. It also makes all the more curious the tattoo that Ben Kingsley's Mandarin has on the back of his neck.

Buckyrig
10-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Tony's greatest enemy was always....alcoholism. :w00t:

Bishop
10-24-2012, 12:10 AM
Iron Man: Leaving Las Vegas

CHWolf
10-24-2012, 02:52 AM
Hollywood should invent a new villain for the next film. Al Cohallism. They can dress him in an Iron Man variant suit.

Duane Korslund
10-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Hollywood should invent a new villain for the next film. Al Cohallism. They can dress him in an Iron Man variant suit.

He flies shaky and crashes into buildings

Troy Wall
10-24-2012, 01:25 PM
I wonder, does Mandarin have magic rings in the movie? It looks like he might be presented as just a high-profile international terrorist.

I'd rather him not have the magic rings, heh.

In Fraction's current run-ending arc, he retconned the rings as being the trapped consciousness of alien warlords from a galaxy long, long ago and far, far away.

Mwynn
10-24-2012, 02:15 PM
The rings are shown in the trailer. They will probably be tech based as in the Ultimate Universe.

CHWolf
10-24-2012, 02:41 PM
I always figured the "Ten Rings" of IM1 was the adaptation of the rings. ie: They're ten terrorist leaders across the globe, etc. not literal rings.

However, that would not seem to be the case.

(Especially since IM1 showed a ring on the lead terrorscaryguy's hand, which he kept fiddling with almost like it had a cam installed.)

ponyrl
10-24-2012, 06:18 PM
The rings are alien tech anyway, so no magic.

They were control circuits for Fin Fang Foom's ship when he crash landed onto earth.

Old marvel continuity btw.

Justice41
10-24-2012, 06:49 PM
So more connections to the other movies. Maybe these rings will find their way to the Infinity Gauntlet instead of the Soul Gems.

Troy Wall
10-24-2012, 08:20 PM
I always figured the "Ten Rings" of IM1 was the adaptation of the rings. ie: They're ten terrorist leaders across the globe, etc. not literal rings.

However, that would not seem to be the case.

(Especially since IM1 showed a ring on the lead terrorscaryguy's hand, which he kept fiddling with almost like it had a cam installed.)

Nah, you're 100% right with all of that. "Ten Rings" was absolutely representation of Mandarin's M.O., and the lead terrorist guy was purposefully alluded to actually be the movie's version of him.

When they made that movie they had zero idea whether or not it would even succeed well enough to bring a three picture deal to fruition, let alone a clear cut interpretation of Mandarin in a future sequel. That's why all the Mandarin stuff was only heavily alluded to rather than actually named, on the chance that a sequel like IM3 would actually happen. Which it did, so now we are supposed to all say, "Ah, all of that stuff in IM 1 was coincidence!"

Troy Wall
10-24-2012, 08:22 PM
OR they could simply reintroduce the lead terrorist from IM 1 in the new movie as having been one of the Mandarin's goons. Even a five second cameo appearance by the actor would tie it all together and make it fit.

CHWolf
10-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Trilogies love their "I was behind it all along"s.

Justice41
10-24-2012, 11:35 PM
OR they could simply reintroduce the lead terrorist from IM 1 in the new movie as having been one of the Mandarin's goons. Even a five second cameo appearance by the actor would tie it all together and make it fit.

Yeah except he was killed by Stanes hired wetworks team.

CHWolf
10-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Assumed he meant a cameo in a flashback or some other backstory element. Could be wrong, though.

Justice41
10-25-2012, 12:49 AM
He probably did but that kinda back track would be complicated. The whole terrorist angle is kinda stupid anyways. Maybe the bald guy in IM 1 was the Mandarins son. You know, Max Von Sydow just needed his Ming the Merciless Makeup to star as the Mandarin

Newt
10-25-2012, 06:26 PM
The trailer gives me the impression that Mandarin will be very similar to Nolan's version of Bane. I hope I'm wrong.

Justice41
10-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Im thinking more like the Irish terrorist in Patriot Games.

Troy Wall
10-26-2012, 01:10 AM
I didn't remember that Stane had the character from IM1 assassinated...haven't seen it since it came out in 2008. Would be too complicated to tie him to Mandarin via flashback, definitely not worth the trouble.

Who else has trouble taking Ben Kingsley seriously since he starred in Uwe Boll's BloodRayne movie? Cripes. I just won this here academy award, now I'm off to work with Uwe Boll!

Sage
10-26-2012, 12:12 PM
wanted to say regarding iron man 3.....i have never understood the mandarin as the arch-nemesis for iron man. He's a dude with magical power rings.

He'd be a cool dr. Strange villain.

+ 1

Duane Korslund
10-26-2012, 12:39 PM
From the trailer he seemed like a rehashed idea of Bane in TDKR

Co.Inkadink
10-27-2012, 07:25 PM
I think this movie will be good.