PDA

View Full Version : Robin Hood - Men in Tights

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
10-21-2012, 09:07 AM
So I had never seen this movie before. Last night, while flipping the manette, I came across it just as it started... I had no idea this movie was so funny, and stayed up way past my bedtime to watch the whole thing. It was actually really, really similar to a show my other half used to watch called Kamelott, which I tried to watch with him, but the European French accents are just too strong and they talk so fast, I can't really understand.

"My name is Asneeze, father of Ahchoo." My kind of sense of humour. Has anyone else seen it? Is Blazing Saddles just as good?

Mwynn
10-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Yes Blazing Saddles is just as good as is Spaceballs, History of the World, Young Frankenstein, Life Stinks, and Dracula Dead and Loving it.

Buckyrig
10-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Blazing Saddles is better. (Richard Pryor was a co-writer on the screenplay)

Men in Tights was solid. Been a while since I've seen it, but I'm pretty sure he was also recycling some jokes by then. I know he recycled the Men in Tights song's melody from the Jews in Space (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAZhtT-dUyo) segment at the end of History of the World Part I.

You should also definitely see The Producers (the original one with Gene Wilder) if you never have.

Co.Inkadink
10-21-2012, 03:07 PM
I love this movie. Anything by Mel Brooks. My favorite is Young Frankenstein tho. Men In Tights is a funny one tho.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
10-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Neat... I shall definitely check all those movies out. The bridge scene just had me in pieces. And the screaming kid... And the mafia thing with the Godfather guy and the Sheriff of Rottingham...

All those movies you've mentioned are now on the Movie Night list. :)

CHWolf
10-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Saw this in the theater when I was a kid. Hilarious.

Slight Chastity Belt fetish fostered there, but STILL.

Biofungus
10-21-2012, 05:01 PM
It's a shame the last project Mel had a hand in writing/producing was that droll Spaceballs cartoon. He needs to do something else (original) that's not studio-sodomized.

CHWolf
10-21-2012, 05:29 PM
I'd like to see a fictional retrospective of his career in Hollywood. Knowing Mel, it could be titled "It's Over!" or something similar. :P

Biofungus
10-21-2012, 05:31 PM
He could probably do a great "History of the World Part 2", riffing on everything from the Industrial revolution onward.

CHWolf
10-21-2012, 05:50 PM
History of the World Part 3, from the present forward... though it'd be a bit like Idiocracy. :)

Buckyrig
10-21-2012, 06:37 PM
He said he was done making movies.

Biofungus
10-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Can't say I blame him :(

The Dag
10-21-2012, 07:33 PM
This what Mel does every night now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4czusJ8YLCg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Moonrider
10-21-2012, 09:30 PM
I'd say Men in Tights is several times better than Dracula: Dead and Loving It. Lots of memorable, genuinely funny scenes in there.

(paraphrasing)
Prince John: "How did you get the name Latrine, anyway?"
Latrine: "It's not my real name, I changed it a long time ago."
Prince John: "Oh."
Latrine: "It used to be Shithouse."

Comix Obsession
10-22-2012, 12:59 AM
Jedipencil - I haven't seen Men in Tights for years, but I remember absolutely loving it when I was young. I wish they still made genuinely stupid/funny films like that now, but it seems the best they can do are obvious parodies (Epic Movie) or lazy, obvious attempts at milking some cash from an audience (Scary Movie).

So I'll second the above - go watch Mel Brooks films. I haven't seen many, but Blazing Saddles, Spaceballs and The Producers are HIGHLY recommended. Those movies are sure to keep you laughing for a long time.

Also, check out Woody Allen's work. Watch Annie Hall and Everything you always wanted to know about sex (but were afraid to ask). His humour is much more subtle, but it's worth pursuing.

Duane Korslund
10-22-2012, 09:49 AM
It's a shame the last project Mel had a hand in writing/producing was that droll Spaceballs cartoon. He needs to do something else (original) that's not studio-sodomized.

that cartoon was pretty terrible...hate to think that he had to put his name on that :(

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
10-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Jedipencil - I haven't seen Men in Tights for years, but I remember absolutely loving it when I was young. I wish they still made genuinely stupid/funny films like that now, but it seems the best they can do are obvious parodies (Epic Movie) or lazy, obvious attempts at milking some cash from an audience (Scary Movie).

So I'll second the above - go watch Mel Brooks films. I haven't seen many, but Blazing Saddles, Spaceballs and The Producers are HIGHLY recommended. Those movies are sure to keep you laughing for a long time.

Also, check out Woody Allen's work. Watch Annie Hall and Everything you always wanted to know about sex (but were afraid to ask). His humour is much more subtle, but it's worth pursuing.

Blazing Saddles - absolutely will watch that (if I can find any of them). History of the World sounds good too, and Michel said he'd seen a commercial for it a long time ago and just the commercial was funny. (and he hates movies, tv, any of that stuff, unless it has to do with world wars). The Producers - I've never heard of that one, but will try to find it. Spaceballs - maybe.

Woody Allen... ehhhummm... maybe. I saw one movie of his - I don't remember which it was, it was a long time ago, and well... I guess I'm not brainy enough for his stuff. But I haven't seen Annie Hall.

I like stupid/funny.

Duane Korslund
10-22-2012, 10:02 AM
Blazing Saddles - absolutely will watch that (if I can find any of them). History of the World sounds good too, and Michel said he'd seen a commercial for it a long time ago and just the commercial was funny. (and he hates movies, tv, any of that stuff, unless it has to do with world wars). The Producers - I've never heard of that one, but will try to find it. Spaceballs - maybe.

Woody Allen... ehhhummm... maybe. I saw one movie of his - I don't remember which it was, it was a long time ago, and well... I guess I'm not brainy enough for his stuff. But I haven't seen Annie Hall.

I like stupid/funny.

Woody Allen was too...spastic...made me nervous just watching him...

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
10-22-2012, 10:17 AM
This what Mel does every night now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4czusJ8YLCg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:laugh::laugh:

Made my son laugh, too!

Comix Obsession
10-22-2012, 03:01 PM

I like stupid/funny.

Have you really never heard of The Producers?! Seriously? You people actually exist?! :laugh::nyah:

I am genuinely surprised, but I'm just kidding around. You need to watch it, it's a pretty good commentary on modern entertainment, actually.

Woody Allen is way too smart for me, but Annie Hall is worth a watch, it's a pretty easy-going film with both very smart and very stupid humour. I have a book of Woody Allen's writing, and whilst much of it can go waaaaaaaay over my head, I don't think he's aiming too high really. This kinda sums up Allen's humour from Annie Hall - in trying to relive moments with the titular Annie after they break up, he starts dating various other women. In one scene he is acting his usual strange self and comes out with this gem (I'm paraphrasing):

Allen: I haven't been myself since I gave up smoking.
Woman: How long ago was that?
Allen: 28 years.

That's what Allen is good at, being a genius.

However, I love stupid/funny too. So you should also check out Police Squad, the Naked Gun films (after Police Squad), Hot Shots 1 and Part Deux and more modern fare with Will Ferrell - Anchorman (one of the most quotable movies EVER!), Talladega Nights and Step Brothers.

After all that, your ribs should be sufficiently aching! :happy:

Duane Korslund
10-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Ah, OJ Simpson...back when only his acting was criminal....

cheeseisgood1918
10-22-2012, 03:53 PM
History of the World pt. 1 and Blazing Saddles are, I feel comfortable saying, 2 of the funniest films ever made. And I could quote the entirety of Men in Tights right now... but I'll spare you all that.

Buckyrig
10-22-2012, 04:01 PM
You want Woody Allen + dumb?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HsLqCWP-cT0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Enjoy.

sevans
10-22-2012, 05:02 PM
I agree that many of his films damn funny..... BUT Blazing Saddles really pisses me off.

The film is great ...... up until the ending. I think he wrote himself into a corner and then took an easy (but creative) way out.

The ending really pisses me off and ruins the entire film for me.

Biofungus
10-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Ingrid, I'm surprised you're on the fence about Spaceballs, considering your own experience with Star Wars.

Buckyrig
10-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Spaceballs is actually one of his weaker movies. I think the fact that it is (mostly) a Star Wars parody carries it to an extent people don't always realize.

That said, I'd say watch it. Stay away from Life Stinks though. That one was lousy.

Wasn't crazy about The Twelve Chairs either, but I saw that when I was a kid. I'd have to see it again to see how it is.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
10-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Ingrid, I'm surprised you're on the fence about Spaceballs, considering your own experience with Star Wars.

We will surely watch it... personally I'm a bit Star Wars-ed out for a bit. Unless it involves another chance to paint something semi-original... Just say that the movie involves Mel Brooks wearing the donuts. That would be fun.

I'm just hoping our video store has these movies, I'm counting on watching either Blazing Saddles or The History of the World on the weekend... :banana:

Buckyrig
10-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Mel plays the Yoda character.

And the President of the bad guys. (I mean, sort of where the Emperor would be...but not paralleled to him in any real way.)

Troy Wall
10-24-2012, 07:47 PM
our video store

Huzzahwhatnow? I haven't seen one of those in many years now.

Troy Wall
10-24-2012, 08:42 PM
I'd say Men in Tights is several times better than Dracula: Dead and Loving It. Lots of memorable, genuinely funny scenes in there.

(paraphrasing)
Prince John: "How did you get the name Latrine, anyway?"
Latrine: "It's not my real name, I changed it a long time ago."
Prince John: "Oh."
Latrine: "It used to be Shithouse."

'Ey, Blinkin'! Ey, Blinkin'!!

What's that you say about Abe Lincoln??

No, I say 'Ey, Blinkin'!!!

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
10-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Huzzahwhatnow? I haven't seen one of those in many years now.

Ok ok... DVD store then... :p

Troy Wall
10-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Ok ok... DVD store then... :p

No, I mean a store that rents hard copies of movies in general!

Duane Korslund
10-26-2012, 01:26 PM
No, I mean a store that rents hard copies of movies in general!

Movie rental store? That's so 20th century!

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
10-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Oh good grief. I can't be that far behind in things....? There must be other humans who still go to those places... :p

CHWolf
10-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Humans?

Don't you mean Biomechs?! LOL

Biofungus
10-27-2012, 04:09 AM
I hear Blockbuster still has brick and mortar stores where you can drop off the discs that they send you in the mail.

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
10-27-2012, 09:03 AM
In the... mail? :eek:

Biofungus
10-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Yeah, I don't think Blockbuster has advanced to the digital download rental age yet.

All this is starting to feel like a weird "Civilization" expansion pack...

"Which Technology will you Research Next: --
1] DSL technology
2] High Speed Cable technology
3] Super-fast Horse speed biogenetics technology
4] Fire

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
10-29-2012, 08:51 AM

4] Fire

:laugh:

So we watched "The History of the World" yesterday, and it was very funny. I enjoyed Men in Tights quite a bit more, but this was good. The "movie" store doesn't have - and probably will never get - Blazing Saddles so I'll have to find it elsewhere. That movie, I really want to see.

It must be said, the inquisition era was gruesomely good... :laugh:

ld-airgrafix
11-07-2012, 01:43 AM
You want comedy, watch Almost Heroes. Haven't seen a funnier movie

Mwynn
11-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Yeah, I don't think Blockbuster has advanced to the digital download rental age yet.

1] DSL technology
2] High Speed Cable technology
3] Super-fast Horse speed biogenetics technology
4] Fire

http://www.blockbuster.com/download

Ingrid K. V. Hardy
11-07-2012, 09:55 AM
And this turned up in my inbox, I'm getting it through the Canadian amazon. I can afford this (and I cannot find it anywhere else):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001Z4OXS/ref=pe_164440_26669110_pe_vfe_dt1

Yay! I hope it comes for the weekend, but I'll at least get to see it.