PDA

View Full Version : El Bigote: Inks over Shaky Kane

JimCampbell
10-06-2012, 07:25 AM
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/280/2/e/inks__shaky_kane___el_bigote__by_jimcampbell-d5h1b2b.jpg

The multi-talented Shaky Kane provided a cover for Matthew McLaughlin's comic detailing the adventures of undead hombre El Bigote (http://elbigotequillpower.blogspot.co.uk/) but also sent along a pencil rough for a second cover, but didn't have time to produce the full piece.

I offered to ink it up for Matthew and felt the urge to ink something the old-fashioned way, so I printed out a blueline and went at it with a set of Pitt pens. I was deliberately trying to finish it in a style as unlike Shaky's own as I could, so I just let the pen kind of do what felt right… I'm quite pleased with the result, and Shaky's been very kind about the finished piece, too.

First non-digital ink in about five years. I'm not entirely sure it's successful, but I learned a lot.

Cheers!

Jim

VANDAL
10-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Nice work man! You really added a LOT on your own. It kind of has an R. Crumb feel to the inks but it works nicely.

JimCampbell
10-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Nice work man! You really added a LOT on your own. It kind of has an R. Crumb feel to the inks but it works nicely.

Thanks, Vandal -- very much appreciated!

Of course, after I posted this, I realised that I'd mis-read the pencils and the lowermost tomb that I've rendered as part of the background is actually what the main character is sitting on and the worm-thing bottom left should have the tip of it's tail behind the chap's boot…

Part of me wants to go back and change it, but that way madness lies. I'll try to make time for a new piece instead!

Cheers

Jim

Scribbly
10-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Excellent inking and rendering.
Or, as good inking is called, embellishing of pencils.
The small gaff of the sitting tomb can be fixed by delineating with thick line the contour
of the tomb in the foreground, setting it apart from the crosses in the background.