PDA

View Full Version : Death in Avengers vs X-men

Mwynn
09-12-2012, 07:52 AM
Its Prof X. Since he is not Uncle Ben I expect him back in less than a year.

Moonrider
09-12-2012, 01:58 PM
And he will be reborn as The Phoenix.

Okay well it's possible right

CHWolf
09-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Time to drag out the old standard Marvel reply...

How many times has (insert current character) been dead, agian?

Troy Wall
09-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Quite a damned few. This isn't even the first time Bendis has killed Professor X. He died in the House of M series, but I suppose that doesn't count as it was all like it never happened when the series ended. Except for Hawkeye's revival, which was the only lasting effect of the series.

Bleeding Cool has an article up with all of Chuck's deaths. Even Stan Lee has killed him. :laugh:

CHWolf
09-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Professor Ex, more like.

LOLOLolfolfol

Lovecraft13
09-12-2012, 10:07 PM
When did Professor X get his groove back? As in legs.

CHWolf
09-12-2012, 11:02 PM
He just liked being wheeled around.

Troy Wall
09-12-2012, 11:28 PM
When did Professor X get his groove back? As in legs.

Not really sure. Grant Morrison gave him the ability to walk again but took it away shortly before he exited the title. I stopped reading X-Men when Morrison left and the great Chuck Austen replaced him. That's like replacing Stephen King midstream on the Dark Tower series with a mentally challenged hamster.

I think Xavier is the most fascinating character ever created for the X-Men franchise. I found it truly strange that the character really hasn't been featured in the X-Men titles at all for about the last 8 years, ever since Morrison's departure from New X-Men.

Bendis described him as, paraphrasing, 'just this character floating around, never really doing anything...who would now mean more in death than alive'. I can't agree with that because Xavier's almost total absence from comics for almost a decade really prevented readers from maintaining any investment in the character.

There was a series of events after Morrison left where Xavier was revealed to have been more and more of a jerk...starting with Ed Brubaker's retcon that Xavier had sent in ANOTHER team to Krakoa before the Colossus/Wolverine/Storm team and that they had all perished. Then Joss Whedon had the 'Dangerous' story arc where the Danger Room gained sentience and initially tried to kill the X-Men...and it was revealed Xavier knew the Danger Room was alive and suffering all these years.

Eventually Cyclops told Xavier to get the fuck out and that he would lead the X-Men himself. And so Chuck hadn't been featured in the X-Men books for many o' moon.

Lovecraft13
09-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Cyclops is a much more interesting character when Professor X is around. Without him, he's rather painful to follow, let alone cheer for. If ONE character had to be put down, this would have been the perfect time to kill him off, like they wanted to years ago.

Troy Wall
09-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Cyclops is pretty much FUBAR'd as a character. Bendis is time jumping the classic team from the 1960's Lee/Kirby era into the present with his All-New X-Men title and the preview for Uncanny Avengers preview shows Cyclops literally being lobotomized.

I think Bendis' time displaced team will pretty much replace the current ones over time. Cyclops, Beast, Angel and Ice Man...and of course the young Jean Grey will provide that character's resurrection.

Lovecraft13
09-13-2012, 02:51 AM
It makes you wonder what would happen to the X-men timeline if someone went back in time and killed Cyclops when he was a kid.

ponyrl
09-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Then Havok would get his propers! :man:

UniverseX259
09-13-2012, 02:38 PM
I posted this comment on another blog:

It seems like the solution to any huge X-Men event is to kill off or incapacitate Xavier. Trying to up the training of the original X-Men? Pretend to be dead. Battle at Magneto's trial? Send him off the the Shi'ar. Start of the X-Cutioner's song? Have "Cable" shoot him in the head. Blamed for the Onslaught fiasco? Send him to jail. Need a way to make a shocking ending to Messiah Complex? Have him get shot in the head....AGAIN.

When I was a kid I read reprints of the Dark Phoenix saga, and although I knew that Jean would come back to life someday (She was back in the X-Men around this time, '91-92), it still had a ton of resonance and felt like it would be permanent. Character deaths were not treated lightly at the time. Now it just seems like a cheap gimmick to bring readers in. If Blackest Night taught me anything, it's that more characters have been killed than kept alive. I honestly believe the biggest shock at the end of a comics event is to have all the character survive!

I'm just thinking back to Nightcrawler and Human Torch now. Torch's "death" was so powerful that it caused the FF book to shut down and be re-launched with the FF becoming a new team. Then Torch was back in less than a year, and everything went back to normal. Nightcrawler was killed a few years back, but shortly thereafter the Age of Apocalypse Nightcrawler joined X-Force, and Wolverine and the X-Men has those little "Bamf" creatures around. Not the same, but how coincidental is it that 2 forms of 'Crawlers appear to fill in the gap?

Moonrider
09-13-2012, 10:23 PM
You know what, why not de-age Xavier to his, say 20s or 30s and let's see him literally running around in a costume using the full potential of his power and become the actual leader of The X-Men both tactically and physically. I would like to read that for at least a year.

Troy Wall
09-13-2012, 11:14 PM
You know what, why not de-age Xavier to his, say 20s or 30s and let's see him literally running around in a costume using the full potential of his power and become the actual leader of The X-Men both tactically and physically. I would like to read that for at least a year.

That would be really cool, actually. It's certainly never been done before and would be a much better read than killing him for the tenth time. Since they borrow alternate versions of characters from the myriad realities so liberally, let's see this version of Chuck in the MU.

Regarding Nightcrawler, it was a shame that such a classic character got retconned by Chuck Austen into being an actual demon from hell rather than a mutant. WTF? Now when he comes back they'll have two retcons to retcon...his death and "origin".

It was all a ruse by Sinister! Everything! Reset! RESET!!!!