PDA

View Full Version : Captain America

TheBDC
08-13-2012, 11:07 AM
This started out as sketch by Khoi Pham that I had asked to color and then turned out to be sort of a color contest over at Ten Ton's forums. As soon as I asked about it, I got slammed with work and never got around to coloring it. LOL Khoi and I were at the same convention this weekend so I made it a point to get it colored and presented him with a nice printed copy of it. He loved it and now we're going to make prints of it for sale and do some other prints together in the near future. That worked out nicely. :)

Pencils by Khoi Pham
Colors by me.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/kingbdc11569/captainamerica.jpg

Jeremy Colwell
08-13-2012, 11:14 AM
That turned out great, Ross. Love what you did with the background!

MaHeRo
08-13-2012, 01:09 PM
I like your color choices here. What doesn't work for me is the smoke, though. I think by rendering it with so many cuts that it begins to look too solid, more like rock than smoke. I think by blending those cuts and softening that whole plume up you'll not only create more believable smoke but also help keep focus on Cap. Here's a quick example to demonstrate what I mean.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s224/beefynutcase/Untitled-1-2.jpg

TheBDC
08-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Couldn't agree more with you, Mark. It's something I need to work on. Thanks!

Alex Sollazzo
08-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Much prefer the original, theres nothing wrong with that kind of rendering, it makes the picture stand out from most generic coloring styles :banana:

Duane Korslund
08-14-2012, 09:53 AM
I dunno...I like them both...I think the 2nd one works only slightly better because the softness of the background works to accentuate the foreground. The first one has a great stylistic edge to it though...very cool

MaHeRo
08-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Much prefer the original, theres nothing wrong with that kind of rendering, it makes the picture stand out from most generic coloring styles :banana:

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that style of rendering, but I would perhaps look to examples of how Dave McCaig renders smoke through cuts. Simpler is probably better, especially in this case where Cap is rendered so minimally.