PDA

View Full Version : What nibs do you use to ink?

xCatface
08-11-2012, 11:48 PM
I was practicing inking today and I'm not too happy. The nib I'm using isn't giving me thin enough lines. The nib I'm using is Hunt 107. Should I invest in micron pens?

Justice41
08-12-2012, 12:18 AM
I was practicing inking today and I'm not too happy. The nib I'm using isn't giving me thin enough lines. The nib I'm using is Hunt 107. Should I invest in micron pens?

107 is avery flexible nib. Kinda like using a brush. You want to use hunt 102 as it's a bit stiffer and has a very fine line.

xCatface
08-12-2012, 09:43 PM
107 is avery flexible nib. Kinda like using a brush. You want to use hunt 102 as it's a bit stiffer and has a very fine line.
Alright. Thank you!

Justice41
08-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Make sure to hold the pen nearly vertical and draw your line away from your body. When doing thin to thick lines draw the thin to thick into the heavy blacks and not the other way around. This will allow you to line up the feathering evenly unlike when you draw them from the solid black out. When you do that you'll wind up with a not so even line and a big blob of ink at the end of what should be sharp points.

HdE
08-13-2012, 12:51 PM
I've taken to using Gillott nibs lately. I'm no good with 'em yet, but working with them sure is fun!

The problem I have locally is that the art store claims they can't order Hunt nibs in, so I'm stuck using the Gillotts. So far, I've found the 659 is about the best for control and varying line thickness. I ink everything at A4 size (madness, I know!) so I can just about make it work.

JimCampbell
08-14-2012, 03:22 AM
so I'm stuck using the Gillotts. So far, I've found the 659 is about the best for control and varying line thickness.

Dave Gibbons was very fond of the 303 Flexible, with which I've very recently renewed my own relationship -- lovely nib. Holds a decent charge, produces quite a wide variation in line.

Cheers

Jim

HdE
08-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Yup - I've been experimenting with the 303s as well. I'm not as fond of them, as they require a LOT of concentration for me (not helped by the fact that my hands aren't the steadiest - this is why I ink with pens!) but they do yield some nice results when handled carefully.

DiabloCodySux
08-21-2012, 09:03 PM
The traditional Hunt 22 (chunky, with a brass appearance) is a very sturdy nib requires a bit of pressure and force to bend, and was very useful when I did some inking over a well-known penciller at one of the Big Three a long time ago. However, it prefers a tougher board or bristol and eats plate-finish such as Canson's plate finish for lunch.

I also used the Hunt 104 which is tiny and has even less give than the 22.

If you have the time, you might also cut yourself a home-made quill, which I found had lovely results and liked many textures of paper.