PDA

View Full Version : Batman inks

SMT
08-02-2012, 03:15 AM
I think the hardest part about doing this digitally for me is that I get tunnel vision and tend to miss a lot of things. It is much better to have the work under you. I may print up a copy of the pencils that I can keep by me as I work next time for reference. Thanks for taking the time.

This is over Jimlee's pencils:

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o523/D_B_Smith/Inks/batmnpnch_JiMLEE_SMT_inks.jpg
http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o523/D_B_Smith/Pencils/ALL_STAR_BATMAN__ROBIN_THE_BOY_WONDER_5copy.jpg

Biofungus
08-02-2012, 06:24 AM
There's something else to keep in mind that I've noticed a bit in your work:

Some of what you are assuming to be hatch strokes, are actually sloppy 'fill ins' for spotted blacks. This is very prominent in the Batman piece. The fingers on his right fist are mostly blacks, the finger tips and the heel of his left hand, as well as some of the area underneath the fingers are also spotted blacks that he hastily shaded, not hatching as you have inked them. I know some artists pencils are more difficult to interpret sometimes (and Jim Lee is probably one of the worst for younger inkers).

I'm going to suggest you divide your pencils by detail and difficulty. Start with the more open, less scratchy/hatch oriented artists until you feel comfortable and can't go much further. Then slowly work your way up to artists like Lee or Silvestri, who can be an inkers worst nightmare.

SMT
08-02-2012, 06:28 AM
There's something else to keep in mind that I've noticed a bit in your work:

Some of what you are assuming to be hatch strokes, are actually sloppy 'fill ins' for spotted blacks. This is very prominent in the Batman piece. The fingers on his right fist are mostly blacks, the finger tips and the heel of his left hand, as well as some of the area underneath the fingers are also spotted blacks that he hastily shaded, not hatching as you have inked them. I know some artists pencils are more difficult to interpret sometimes (and Jim Lee is probably one of the worst for younger inkers).

I'm going to suggest you divide your pencils by detail and difficulty. Start with the more open, less scratchy/hatch oriented artists until you feel comfortable and can't go much further. Then slowly work your way up to artists like Lee or Silvestri, who can be an inkers worst nightmare.

Yeah, it's driving me crazy and I think that you are absolutely right. Thanks!