PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mad Pencils my attempt at Inks

Justice41
08-01-2012, 02:15 PM
After I saw the pencils over at this post, http://www.digitalwebbing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162456 , I gave the inks a shot. I printed the scan out on Bristol after converting it to Cyan Duotone in Photoshop. I printed it fairly light so the blue wouldn't show up but that also made a lot of the details so light it was hard to see so I then had to print a black line to refer to.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-G2A0A9OPvjQ/UBlZy-A9NnI/AAAAAAAAAM8/a6Lrt59cTPk/s1600/MadInks.jpg

Sage
08-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Ah Battle Chasers. MEMORIES!!!

It's too bad Joe's brain melted from playing too many video games. :slap:

I always feel that Mad's sweet pencils are very difficult to ink/color simply because the detail in his work is just so sick at times! It almost feels like his work loses a little something once it's inked or colored.

Still I like your inks on this. Reminds me a little of John Romita Jr. :thumbs:

Justice41
08-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Thanks but that would be Al Williamson who did Romita Jr's best inks. Not Klaus Janson who is way too overbearing with his inks.

Cadre
08-01-2012, 04:39 PM
nice work, I'd like to see a bit more of a feathering approach on the hatching work... case in point on the gloves from solids to light areas... love what you did with the dry brush effect in the cape.

Last thing, I'd love to see a bit more control on the straight lined hatching plus vary those line weights some to show a variation of tones even within the straight line work.

Great work regardless and you can take my points with a grain of salt, just hoping to help some. :D

Justice41
08-01-2012, 07:10 PM
No, good points. I should have used a brush to do the long strokes and the feathering. The quill was not working too well and kept digging into the paper.

Cadre
08-01-2012, 07:29 PM
quills can definitely be tricky for long strokes, depending on the paper being used.

Keep 'em coming.

Jesse

No, good points. I should have used a brush to do the long strokes and the feathering. The quill was not working too well and kept digging into the paper.

SMT
08-02-2012, 01:23 AM
Awesome stuff! I think it came out better than what I did. I just started inking over other peoples work so I don't know what kind of crit I can offer you really. Maybe just how the cloak is flowing one way but the lines are going strait across–I think I would have liked it better if it was just all black like you did above it. I really like how the glove came out also. I wish I could be more help especially since you took the time to comment on my post.

cheeseisgood1918
08-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Hey Roy, I know very little about inking, but I like what you did here. It fits Joe Mad's style of line work very well. Course, that comes from a the standpoint of a complete amateur, bit for whatever it's worth, I like it.

Justice41
08-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Hey Roy, I know very little about inking, but I like what you did here. It fits Joe Mad's style of line work very well. Course, that comes from a the standpoint of a complete amateur, bit for whatever it's worth, I like it.

Actually the point about following the flow of the cape would have worked way better. See you did have something to point out. Don't hold back. I inked this on a regular 8.5X11 inch piece of Bristol board so the image you see is twice as large as the actual image so the flaws stand out more. Better to get crits.

Biofungus
08-02-2012, 10:14 PM
I'm not crazy about that effect in the cape. Mainly because it runs horizontally whereas the cape and linework in it run diagonally. Also, I think that shading in the face really only works in pencils, or colors. I think you gave it a good attempt, but it just doesn't work for me.

The other stuff looks fine. Nice separation of elements. You forgot to fill in that black spot in the middle of the "D" :)

"MadRoy" sounds pretty memorable though :D

cheeseisgood1918
08-02-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm not crazy about that effect in the cape. Mainly because it runs horizontally whereas the cape and linework in it run diagonally. Also, I think that shading in the face really only works in pencils, or colors. I think you gave it a good attempt, but it just doesn't work for me.

The other stuff looks fine. Nice separation of elements. You forgot to fill in that black spot in the middle of the "D" :)

"MadRoy" sounds pretty memorable though :D

See, the face is a big part of why it works for me. Maybe this just shows my ignorance of inking, but her face looks like something you would see in a manga, and Mad's work is heavily influenced by anime and manga.

Justice41
08-03-2012, 12:53 AM
There is a very specific thing that Manga artists do with shading like whats on the face but it's just a zipatone effect. I could have done better doiing the straight lines. But unfortunately I don't have any good or working Rapidographs to rule straight inklines with only felt tip markers which make lousy quality lines. I wasn't sure about the D thing so i left it blank. When in doubt leave it out. Much easier to add than subtract.

Justice41
08-03-2012, 12:58 AM
We need some inking challenges on this board. Some fairly hard to ink but not overly complicated drawings. I have some Dave Finch Pencils he had posted on his blog before taking them down and I already have a few Printed out in blue-line that never got to. If anyone wants to take a shot at em and compare results let me know in this thread and I'll upload the pics to deviant art so you can download the full size files.

SMT
08-03-2012, 12:00 PM
I wouldn't mind doing more stuff where we can compare. I think it helps to see what other people do with things.

Justice41
08-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Here are two. And I'll be honest I already have these printed out on bristol. Just saving myself some ink and paper.
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/216/7/f/dave_finch_pencils_for_inks_2_by_justice4one-d59ryd6.jpg
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/216/2/3/dave_finch_pencils_for_inks_1_by_justice4one-d59ry2p.jpg

SMT
08-04-2012, 01:49 AM
Here are two. And I'll be honest I already have these printed out on bristol. Just saving myself some ink and paper.

Oh yeah, these are cool and should be fun also. I shall have a go at them and thanks allot!

Justice41
08-04-2012, 04:02 AM
Oh yeah, these are cool and should be fun also. I shall have a go at them and thanks allot!

For future Ref, go check out Heritage Auctions website. They sell all kinds of collectibles including comics and original comic art. The sellers have to submit very large, clean, sharp, scans to the site. I have mined that site for years for cool old artwork and have found a lot of hi rez pencil scans as well as inked pages. I have a few Keown Pencils from there that I can upload but until i get some ink for the printer I won't be able to join in inking those.

SMT
08-04-2012, 04:19 AM
For future Ref, go check out Heritage Auctions website. They sell all kinds of collectibles including comics and original comic art. The sellers have to submit very large, clean, sharp, scans to the site. I have mined that site for years for cool old artwork and have found a lot of hi rez pencil scans as well as inked pages. I have a few Keown Pencils from there that I can upload but until i get some ink for the printer I won't be able to join in inking those.

On my way to check out the site. Thanks again!

Biofungus
08-05-2012, 04:58 AM
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/216/7/f/dave_finch_pencils_for_inks_2_by_justice4one-d59ryd6.jpg

Ahem.

but not overly complicated drawings.

:man:

:p

Justice41
08-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Complicated would be a John Buscema Layout that you would have to finish pencils on before inking. Finch's stuff is straight forward application of inking techniques. No muss no fuss. Ed McGuiness is another one like Joe Mad where it's all right there for you.
Here are two more.
Dale Keown:
http://www.deviantart.com/download/319170474/dale_keown_pencils_for_inking_2_by_justice4one-d5a0xii.jpg
http://www.deviantart.com/download/319170097/dale_keown_pencils_for_inking_by_justice4one-d5a0x81.jpg

SMT
08-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks, these high rez images are so awesome.