PDA

View Full Version : New 52 Alan Scott is gay.

Moonrider
06-01-2012, 11:54 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2ce38tm6B1r4qpwj.jpg

Lovecraft13
06-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Meh. Most of the new DC has been underwhelming. I'm sure this move is more to capitalize on the buzz around the gay marriage in Marvel than anything character-centric.

Buckyrig
06-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Does that mean no Jade or Obsidian?

Moonrider
06-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Does that mean no Jade or Obsidian?

Don't rule out test tube babies just yet. DC made quite a few Superboys that way.

Mwynn
06-01-2012, 02:49 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2ce38tm6B1r4qpwj.jpg

You were a child in 1940?

Moonrider
06-01-2012, 02:55 PM
The character was straight for 6 decades. Known to have two kids for the past 29 years. Were you born 10 years from now?

Mwynn
06-01-2012, 03:01 PM
The character was straight for 6 decades. Known to have two kids for the past 29 years. Were you born 10 years from now?

How do you know the character was straight? Are you saying homosexual men cannot have children?

CHWolf
06-01-2012, 03:11 PM
I think the real question is whether or not a gay man would have worn that horrible outfit.

STEREOTYPEAPALOOZA.

jeffo46
06-01-2012, 03:15 PM
I started reading both, DC and Marvel in 1966 as a 7 year old child. I remember the covers with the Checkerboards across the top which I always thought were ridiculous, but fun in a way. I was there when GL & GA became relevant in 1970 thanks to O'Neill and Adams, and also when Jack Kirby came out with his new line of " Kirby Is Coming " books as well, which included him taking over Jimmy Olsen. I remember Perez & Wolfman bringing back credibility to DC in 1980 with the intro of TNTT, along with Alan Moore's rendition of Swamp Thing and his amazing Watchmen 12 ish mini series. Ever since Jim Lee and Dan Didio took over the reins as co publishers, I have stopped buying DC product and shit like this is why. They have thrown away over 76 years of history and continuity just for the sake of a few bucks and to appease, especially ,Jim Lee's massive fucking ego. Fuck you DC Comics.

Mwynn
06-01-2012, 03:33 PM
They have thrown away over 76 years of history and continuity just for the sake of a few bucks and to appease, especially ,Jim Lee's massive fucking ego. Fuck you DC Comics.

So all the older books no longer exist?
DC and continuity do not even belong in the same sentence. How many times have they rebooted since 1980??

Buckyrig
06-01-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm only marginally aware of what's going on in DC right now, and some of it seems pretty pointless and off-putting, but the idea that the original JSA members are young people today, in 2012, rather than being the first wave of modern superheroes from the WWII era is more of a strange choice to me.

Alan was straight for pretty much the same reason he was white. It was the 1940s. What mainstream entertainment venue was going to present minority superheroes, no less gay ones? (You can even watch something like the film adaptation of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and see the main character's homosexuality buried under hints and obfuscation 20 years after the Golden Age began.)

But the plain reality is that statistically there would have been gay people who were superheroes in a hypothetical Golden Age DCU. It would be a pretty big cop out to just introduce a new character to start populating the DCU with a more realistic demographic representation of the public.

Alan's a pretty good choice I guess. Making Superman gay would remove a large dynamic from the mythos by removing the Lois element, or at least changing it fundamentally. Making Batman gay is pointless, because he has no social life to speak of. Making Wonder Woman gay would be, well... :laugh:

Biofungus
06-01-2012, 03:43 PM
So is most of the DCnU. So I don't see much of an issue...

Moonrider
06-01-2012, 04:00 PM
How do you know the character was straight? Are you saying homosexual men cannot have children?

Okay, let me rephrase that. I was under the impression that he was straight for the last six decade. He was never implied otherwise. Would a simple child twenty years ago think any differently? Sure, okay, I'm still guilty of presuming that a gay character will less likely to have a child through conventional means. I can accept that I made an error of judgment on that one. What I'm saying in this thread is just that everything I thought I knew about the character went out the window. It's not really about the sexual orientation of this fictional character, it's just that it doesn't feel like the character I'm used to reading and I have to rethink how I see this character in this current state.

UniverseX259
06-01-2012, 04:42 PM
No care ever, really. Alan Scott has always been one of my favorite DC characters, and I'm glad he's in the new DCU in some form. I just hope they approach it in a mature way and don't turn it into a gimmick.

L Jamal
06-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Is this even the same Alan Scott GL?
Seems like much ado about nothing. DC has alternate versions of every character in their library.

jeffo46
06-01-2012, 06:45 PM
I'm only marginally aware of what's going on in DC right now, and some of it seems pretty pointless and off-putting, but the idea that the original JSA members are young people today, in 2012, rather than being the first wave of modern superheroes from the WWII era is more of a strange choice to me.

Alan was straight for pretty much the same reason he was white. It was the 1940s. What mainstream entertainment venue was going to present minority superheroes, no less gay ones? (You can even watch something like the film adaptation of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and see the main character's homosexuality buried under hints and obfuscation 20 years after the Golden Age began.)

But the plain reality is that statistically there would have been gay people who were superheroes in a hypothetical Golden Age DCU. It would be a pretty big cop out to just introduce a new character to start populating the DCU with a more realistic demographic representation of the public.

Alan's a pretty good choice I guess. Making Superman gay would remove a large dynamic from the mythos by removing the Lois element, or at least changing it fundamentally. Making Batman gay is pointless, because he has no social life to speak of. Making Wonder Woman gay would be, well... :laugh:

I disagree with you. Alan Scott had 2 children , Jade and Obsidian who were members of the 1980's team Infinity Inc. He was also married to his late 1940's nemesis , The Harlequin . IMO, if DC was going to take a character and turn them gay, why not a villain such as say the Riddler or a hero such as Wildcat, who I beleive has never been written as being married or involved with any women that I'm aware of . That would've been much more credible and would fit in with DC's continuity or should I say, lack of.

Buckyrig
06-01-2012, 07:10 PM
IMO, if DC was going to take a character and turn them gay, why not a villain such as say the Riddler

They already did that with Pied Piper.

or a hero such as Wildcat

Too minor a character. That's been par for the course for almost 20 years now with gay characters. Have minor or marginal characters be gay.

Mwynn
06-01-2012, 07:24 PM
I disagree with you. Alan Scott had 2 children , Jade and Obsidian who were members of the 1980's team Infinity Inc. He was also married to his late 1940's nemesis , The Harlequin . IMO, if DC was going to take a character and turn them gay, why not a villain such as say the Riddler or a hero such as Wildcat, who I beleive has never been written as being married or involved with any women that I'm aware of . That would've been much more credible and would fit in with DC's continuity or should I say, lack of.

What does him having children or being married have to do with him now being gay?

Phatman
06-01-2012, 07:26 PM
They should have made Sgt. Rock gay instead.

Khuth
06-01-2012, 10:38 PM
When people heard they thought it was the Ryan Reynolds version, then you try and tell them and they just go oh.

Really to the general populace this is just a minor note as well, it would have been bigger if it was something like the Martian Man Hunter, heck Wonder Woman would have been easier to do then again they already have Batwoman.

Buckyrig
06-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Wonder Woman would have been easier to do

They already did that. It was called Xena.

ponyrl
06-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Milestone will be the ONLY (mainstream) publisher to EVER hand this subject in ANY realistic way.

Deny that, I. DARE. YOU! :man:

(yeah, you, the guy over in the corner with the butt for a avatar) :D

CHWolf
06-02-2012, 12:04 AM
What's interesting is that nobody seems to notice that there are many, many more mainstream comic characters whose sexuality we have no idea about than known gay, straight, and bisexual characters combined.

I don't know what my point is.

Maybe the fact that there are probably a LOT of mainstream gay characters, it's just that we haven't seen them make out with someone yet. Schroeder's Cat and all that.

Snoopy always looked like a dog to me, but who's going to argue with poison-wielding box-stuffing mad scientists?

Evan Henry
06-02-2012, 12:08 AM
He was also married to his late 1940's nemesis , The Harlequin .

Elton John would like a word with you. :banana:

(Little known fact: that dancing banana is also gay.)

Biofungus
06-02-2012, 12:22 AM
I'm pretty sure Hulkling and Wiccan have been shown "making out".

The Dag
06-02-2012, 04:09 AM

i have a uncle with two kids and he was married for 12 years before he came out.

Robert Reed was married and had a kid. I'm sure I could list 20 people who are gay and had kids.

Erik Roman
06-02-2012, 11:59 AM
This gives his weakness to wood a whole new meaning.

Justice41
06-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Forget all the Gay crap lets focus on how badly those guys costumes must stink from all the farting. Man them skintight outfits gotta reek after a day of being gut punched and inadvertently passing gas. After just one hour in the sun my t-shirts pits are stinky as all hell. Heh, do you think the male characters in DC and Marvel have skidmarks?

The Dag
06-02-2012, 01:46 PM
This gives his weakness to wood a whole new meaning.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Mcd91
06-02-2012, 02:31 PM
In all honesty I don't see what is so special about a charcters sexuality. I don't care if people are homo- or heterosexual. To make such a fuss about it is what the world doesn't need at all.
Don't know if DC just reacted to Marvel's "gay event", if so, it is just a poor move.

Biofungus
06-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Can't what to see what big green "constructs" he makes now...

Justice41
06-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Stupid thing about doing any character as gay is the artist now has to draw the character doing either something so stereotypically Gay or they have to completely try to draw the characters as they normally would except for some silly kissing scenes. Lets face it the most racist, bigoted people in comics are the writers who write characters based on their race and sexuallity in the most stereotypical way possible to the point that any Asian or Black character has to play up being black or asian down to powers and costume. Seriously all those DC Marvel characters who were black had to either have a black in front of whatever they were or they had to look like Pimps(early Luke Cage)Ever seen an Asian superhero that wasn't into Martial arts? The people are writing these comics are mostly just bigots racists or worse, just juvenile.

Troy Wall
06-02-2012, 04:03 PM
I think this is fucking awesome, how Marvel and DC have something to compete with here. I want Marvel and DC to escalate this until every single character from both publishers look and act like Village People. And then reboot both universes and everybody is straight again! Then reboot...Superman is sucking off Jimmy Olsen! REBOOT! Superman is munching Lois Lane!!! They could switch it out like quarterly. Fuck yeah!

jeffo46
06-03-2012, 09:59 AM
I think this is fucking awesome, how Marvel and DC have something to compete with here. I want Marvel and DC to escalate this until every single character from both publishers look and act like Village People. And then reboot both universes and everybody is straight again! Then reboot...Superman is sucking off Jimmy Olsen! REBOOT! Superman is munching Lois Lane!!! They could switch it out like quarterly. Fuck yeah!

You need therapy. LOL!

MBirkhofer
06-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Milestone will be the ONLY (mainstream) publisher to EVER hand this subject in ANY realistic way.

Deny that, I. DARE. YOU! :man:

(yeah, you, the guy over in the corner with the butt for a avatar) :D

Batwoman herself was a similar situation. done exactly right.

They didn't take Kathy Kane and make her gay. They remade the character, as Kate Kane. So technically, a new character entirely. so while the title is the same, the character wearing it, is a new person. And thus you don't have the terrible implications. Secondly, they went further in establishing a whole new identity, and life story/origin. Again, she is a whole unique person, not just a copy of the Kathy Kane, but gay now. Now, being gay IS part of her identity. So, statements people make, like how a character should just be, and sexuality is just something on the side. Thats not true. Sexuality is part of who you are. Superman being in love with Lois has been a large part of his character forever, for example.

A token gay character is pandering. This Alan Scott nonsense is a step futher. its just plain offensive. Implies ones sexuality can change or is a choice, and that a straight person, and just wake up gay someday.

Buckyrig
06-03-2012, 11:51 AM
A token gay character is pandering. This Alan Scott nonsense is a step futher. its just plain offensive. Implies ones sexuality can change or is a choice, and that a straight person, and just wake up gay someday.

Wait. You think using a different diminutive form of Katherine constitutes a separate and distinct character, but a new version of Alan Scott, in a newly reconstructed multiverse, born in the late 20th century, is the same character "just waking up gay"? Would it be better if he went by "Al Scott"?

L Jamal
06-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Wait. You think using a different diminutive form of Katherine constitutes a separate and distinct character, but a new version of Alan Scott, in a newly reconstructed multiverse, born in the late 20th century, is the same character "just waking up gay"? Would it be better if he went by "Al Scott"?

I don't think most realize that this is an entirely new character.
The new 52 is a reboot. The characters while similar to past characters are all new.

MBirkhofer
06-03-2012, 12:38 PM

yes names are important.

New back story, new personality. New name.
Its a new character.

now, it is the same. That is exactly how they are marketing it. A long term DC character will be gay. No one is treating this as a new character that is gay. Even the author. which is exactly the problem.

Buckyrig
06-03-2012, 12:42 PM
You're looking for reasons to be upset.

Here's a better one:

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/40/1990480-actioncomics_1_page_10_134145.jpeg

:yuk:

Biofungus
06-03-2012, 05:51 PM
And while we're bitching about Alan Scott, Marvel is having Northstar marry his sweetheart and nobody even mentions it. I guess that's a good thing though.

Mwynn
06-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Northstar is a C-list character. As was suggested in this thread if it was The Riddler or a C-lister like Catman no one would have cared either.

Justice41
06-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Northstar has been gay for ever. so no biggie.

UniverseX259
06-03-2012, 08:08 PM
And while we're bitching about Alan Scott, Marvel is having Northstar marry his sweetheart and nobody even mentions it. I guess that's a good thing though.

But so's Alan Scott. His character disappeared in the 50's, and then once Hal Jordan came about he had to play second fiddle. He then resided in a limbo of back-up stories and JLA/JSA crossovers for about 30 years.

CHWolf
06-03-2012, 10:19 PM
I think the thing is that while Alan Scott is, to the greater world, a nobody - the shared persona of "Green Lantern" isn't.

Paul Sanderson
06-03-2012, 11:27 PM
DC has been sh!thouse for years, but even worse since they started the 'New 52'. This is just another further step into the toilet for them. So what else is new?

bob281
06-04-2012, 05:03 AM
What I see is a money making tool for DC and Marvel.Why not start a classic line.Written and drawn by old school writers and artist.So many old fans are pissed off with both companies it could be a cash cow.Get Marv Wolfman Steve Englehart John Byrne Jim Starlin and others and just let them go crazy on classic versions of the characters.

Mwynn
06-04-2012, 09:59 AM
What I see is a money making tool for DC and Marvel.Why not start a classic line.Written and drawn by old school writers and artist.So many old fans are pissed off with both companies it could be a cash cow.Get Marv Wolfman Steve Englehart John Byrne Jim Starlin and others and just let them go crazy on classic versions of the characters.

Why would they continue beating their heads against the wall. Clearly the majority of readers were not interested in those stories. When they were doing them the sales were down. The New 52 has been a serious shot in the arm for the sales charts, why would they go backwards?

L Jamal
06-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Why would they go backwards?
For Frank

Troy Wall
06-04-2012, 07:43 PM
DC may need to take baby steps in turning A-listers like Superman gay. Set him up by discovering he's attracted to another dude's ass, but also still attracted to Lois. Have him be bisexual at first, sandwiching between Lois and Jimmy/Perry whoever. Then slowly ween him off Lois and have him go FGE.

yellowphantom
06-04-2012, 07:48 PM
I might start a shit-storm for myself buuuuut.....personally I'm enjoying some of the new 52 especially Batman and Batman and Robin..and for me that's pretty weird because I haven't read Batman on any kind of regular basis since the 80's. As for Action Comics...ditto...the last Supes I read was Earth One.
I'll admit Justice League is pretty shitty and I gave up on Swamp Thing and Animal Man after 2 issues...(especially after they revealed that Swampy is Horticulturalsexual)

Justice41
06-04-2012, 07:49 PM
DC may need to take baby steps in turning A-listers like Superman gay. Set him up by discovering he's attracted to another dude's ass, but also still attracted to Lois. Have him be bisexual at first, sandwiching between Lois and Jimmy/Perry whoever. Then slowly ween him off Lois and have him go FGE.

No such thing as a bisexual Male, There aint no coming back after slobbing the knob.

Troy Wall
06-04-2012, 07:50 PM
No such thing as a bisexual Male, There aint no coming back after slobbing the knob.

I agree. That's why after he started screwing dudes he'd eventually just go full gay effect and drop Lois. But readers would need to be eased into the transition by having Superman still bone Lois for at least a little while.

Scott F
06-23-2012, 10:47 PM
what bugs me about this whole Alan Scott gay thing is the following...

1) News shows saying he is the first gay DC superhero, nearly wanted to spam abc news dept with Batwoman comics. Apparently lesbians aren't current enough or empowering to the gay movement as gay male characters and should be treated as if they don't exist. There are multiple lesbian dc characters but lesbians don't count as gay in news coverage or public relations unless it's Wonderwoman and Artemis as lovers. Sadly that would be an A-lister and her supporting cast in a plausible situation given their background in new and old continuity so that absolutely would never happen.

2) it was only done after total universe relaunch that already flipped a middle finger in the faces of decades worth of readers by undoing the continuity of every beloved character under their label.

3) DC never did these risks with characters people were emotionally invested and it is for shock value. During infinite crisis and amazons attack they could have had Wondergirl have a lesbian fling while Cassie was mourning Conner. There could have even been a love triangle where Kara mistakes Cassie's grief for love and Cassie feels guilt not just for the Tim Drake relationship but for using Kara. Emotionally relevant to readers and socially relevant. Which means it never happened. No one with a Kryptonian shield or amazonian bracelets can be gay unless they are non powered supporting characters. Even in the 80s up until the reboot they could have said Hal Jordan, Black Canary, and Green Arrow experimented with the swinger lifestyle during their crime fighting road trip days. Again never happened. Instead they introduce a new Wildstorm reject green lantern knock off actual marketed as a reboot and make him gay.

4) Wildstorm and Malibu comics were bad 90s comic labels printing knock offs of marvel and dc characters juiced up and dumbed down. Marvel bought Malibu and wisely closed it down when it got too unoriginal and mindless. DC bought Wildstorm and merged it with their mainstream continuity.

5) DCs new 52 is heroes reborn version 2 done by editors and marketing advisers who think 90s retro sells rather than accept that they are just cramming the worst parts of the decade into every book they publish and worst of all they aren't going to end it anytime soon or even discussing bringing back the beloved icons of multiple generations.

6) If the other Alan Scott and his DC universe was printed as an alternative for readers this story wouldn't have been a headline in some papers of made any evening news shows.

Evan Henry
06-23-2012, 11:32 PM
I simply do not care. If DC had the reboot thing right on principle, and only fucked up in this department, maybe I'd give enough of a shit to bitch about it. But this whole thing was flawed from the beginning. The fundamental problem, according to myself and everyone I've talked to, was that DC did not commit to an actual reboot. The books that had been consistently selling well (Batman, Green Lantern, etc.) remained untouched while other things were completely turned on their heads. Poor editorial oversight led to books contradicting each other, and sometimes themselves (Superboy, Teen Titans, and Red Hood being the worst cases).

If DC wanted to accomplish something other than just fucking up continuity even further and making Beast Boy red, they needed to call it a complete reboot. And they didn't do that. Instead they left Batman untouched, having trained six Robins in a space of five years, and left themselves a clever out by getting all meta in Legion Lost (which was cleverly lifted from Alan Moore's Twilight of the Superheroes, by the way) in case sales started to dip. Their heart isn't in it. They didn't go big, so they might as well go home for all I care.

Mwynn
06-24-2012, 12:25 PM
what bugs me about this whole Alan Scott gay thing is the following...

1) News shows saying he is the first gay DC superhero, nearly wanted to spam abc news dept with Batwoman comics. Apparently lesbians aren't current enough or empowering to the gay movement as gay male characters and should be treated as if they don't exist. There are multiple lesbian dc characters but lesbians don't count as gay in news coverage or public relations unless it's Wonderwoman and Artemis as lovers. Sadly that would be an A-lister and her supporting cast in a plausible situation given their background in new and old continuity so that absolutely would never happen.

2) it was only done after total universe relaunch that already flipped a middle finger in the faces of decades worth of readers by undoing the continuity of every beloved character under their label.

3) DC never did these risks with characters people were emotionally invested and it is for shock value. During infinite crisis and amazons attack they could have had Wondergirl have a lesbian fling while Cassie was mourning Conner. There could have even been a love triangle where Kara mistakes Cassie's grief for love and Cassie feels guilt not just for the Tim Drake relationship but for using Kara. Emotionally relevant to readers and socially relevant. Which means it never happened. No one with a Kryptonian shield or amazonian bracelets can be gay unless they are non powered supporting characters. Even in the 80s up until the reboot they could have said Hal Jordan, Black Canary, and Green Arrow experimented with the swinger lifestyle during their crime fighting road trip days. Again never happened. Instead they introduce a new Wildstorm reject green lantern knock off actual marketed as a reboot and make him gay.

4) Wildstorm and Malibu comics were bad 90s comic labels printing knock offs of marvel and dc characters juiced up and dumbed down. Marvel bought Malibu and wisely closed it down when it got too unoriginal and mindless. DC bought Wildstorm and merged it with their mainstream continuity.

5) DCs new 52 is heroes reborn version 2 done by editors and marketing advisers who think 90s retro sells rather than accept that they are just cramming the worst parts of the decade into every book they publish and worst of all they aren't going to end it anytime soon or even discussing bringing back the beloved icons of multiple generations.

6) If the other Alan Scott and his DC universe was printed as an alternative for readers this story wouldn't have been a headline in some papers of made any evening news shows.

2. Again with Continuity stuff. There is no such thing as continuity in DC comics.

4. No 100% of the time. Wildstorm had many great books. The Authority, Wildcats, Backlash, Team 7, Gen-13, and many more.

5. Why would they the sales were down when they were doing icon characters. The sales are now up. Stop living in the world of nostalgia. Dc is a business, they need to make money. Not put out books that don't sale to cater to people who cannot accept change.

Paul Sanderson
07-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Sales are pretty much where they were before, by and large. Sales are not up across the board. The 'New 52' has been a monumental failure!