PDA

View Full Version : 52's Shazam...

yellowphantom
04-30-2012, 08:25 PM
...sure it's only been two installments so far so I'm not sure what to think. The art is great, of course with Frank we would expect nothing less. As for the story...the new evil billy batson kind of freaks me out...and the wizard shazam seems like a right old bastard. Johns has the freedom to do anything he wants with this charater(s) on the world of the new 52...he'd better not blow it.
anyone else have thoughts/comments on the new Shazam?

yellowphantom
05-02-2012, 09:43 PM
...speaking of alternate earth's.....Action Comics #9 featuring Earth-23 was a real breath of fresh air for DC...finally taking advantage of all those worlds and all of the stories yet to be told about them ....anything goes!!!! Calvin Ellis is one hell of a Superman...let's hope we see a lot more of him...
it's also very strange that for the first time EVER i am reading more DC books than ol' Marvel...

Evan Henry
05-04-2012, 08:38 PM
I have yet to get caught up on Justice League and the Shazam back-ups. I did read the first one, and the evil Billy did throw me off, like you said. I normally dig Geoff Johns' writing, but we'll see where this goes.

I dropped Action Comics after Grant Morrison scripted two issues (five and six) while on mushrooms. I was loving that series for a while, but then Grant Morrison remembered that he's Grant Morrison. :sure:

Lovecraft13
05-04-2012, 09:00 PM
I find it hard to get into the new League's personalities. It's just weird reading about these guys who hardly know each other.

Evan Henry
05-04-2012, 10:25 PM
I find it hard to get into the new League's personalities. It's just weird reading about these guys who hardly know each other.

JL is up to date with the rest of the books starting with issue eight, I think.

Biofungus
05-05-2012, 02:10 AM
I have yet to get caught up on Justice League and the Shazam back-ups. I did read the first one, and the evil Billy did throw me off, like you said. I normally dig Geoff Johns' writing, but we'll see where this goes.

I dropped Action Comics after Grant Morrison scripted two issues (five and six) while on mushrooms. I was loving that series for a while, but then Grant Morrison remembered that he's Grant Morrison. :sure:
FINALLY! Someone else who doesn't think Grant is the second coming! I can't stand his writing.

Evan Henry
05-05-2012, 05:31 AM
FINALLY! Someone else who doesn't think Grant is the second coming! I can't stand his writing.

Agree. He's alright sometimes (http://ingenre.com/2011/10/men-in-tights-reviews-grant-morrisons-action-comics/), but other than that he's pretty meh, sometimes unbearably awful.

[/shamelessplug]

Incendium Lux
05-05-2012, 11:10 AM

As a person, I find him interesting. As a person working in the comics industry, I think he's an unbearable ass, and is not deserving of all the attention and credit he seems to think he'd be.

Of course, I'm on the Alan Moore is the second coming camp, so that might explain my position, and tendency for lengthy panel explanations.

Evan Henry
05-06-2012, 02:38 AM
Back to Shazam: I'm caught up now, and I'm not sure I like what's going on. The Flashpoint Shazam concept was nice as a one-off, but I don't know how I'd feel about it being done in an ongoing capacity. And it certainly does look like that's how things are going.

Gonna have to think about this.