PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Movie-Verse Nick Fury & Agent Coulson introduced to Marvel U

Troy Wall
04-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Marvel just wrapped their Battle Scars mini-series which introduced the movie-verse character Shield Agent Phil Coulson (played by Clark Gregg) into the Marvel U. The series featured a soldier codenamed "Cheese" revealed to be Phil Coulson in the final issue.

The mini-series also featured a new character, Marcus Johnson, revealed to be a long lost son of Nick Fury. Johnson's birth name was revealed as Nick Fury, Jr. and like Ultimate Fury and Samuel L. Jackson, Johnson is African American. By series' end he had shaved his head, grew a goatee, had one eye poked out and donned an eye patch in order to bring him fully in line with movie-verse / Ultimate Fury.

The new Marvel U Nick Fury with Agent Coulson:

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads//2012/04/3-3ec74c9504.jpg?d58414

Troy Wall
04-26-2012, 12:14 AM
I think the series had fairly low sales and may have flew under the radar of many readers. When new Fury and Coulson start popping up in all the top selling books the great majority of readers will likely encounter them there first.

I think Coulson is a cool character to have in the comics. Everyone seems to love the character in the movies.

With new Fury, I have no problem with Marvel wanting to bring one of their key characters in line with the movie version. I hope they do not kill off Nick Fury Sr. as there is plenty of room to feature both characters in the Marvel U. New Fury could appear in the Avengers titles and Sr. could remain the man in the shadows that he's essentially been since the early 2000's mini-series Secret War, where he was dismissed as Shield Director.

I think what might come off as kind of heavy handed is that new Fury was introduced one week prior to the opening of the Avengers film. :laugh: That, and the character received an eye injury and patch, decided to shave his head and grow a goatee all at the same time. Heh.

Oh, and all of sudden Ultimate Nick Fury isn't so....ultimate. I think we'll see the end of the Ultimate comics line within the next year. Maybe Ultimate Spider-Man will remain, but the rest appears to have ran its course long ago.

Evan Henry
04-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Unnecessary, but I don't really mind it. A little pushy, probably, given the timing, but whatever.

CHWolf
04-26-2012, 01:54 AM
And still no Nolanverse Batman comic?

I'm not a fan of the films, but I'd be interested in the concepts delivered via comic format.

Evan Henry
04-26-2012, 02:06 AM

^This.

CHWolf
04-26-2012, 02:11 AM
What's weird is I don't dig Marvel's style... "jam random movie stuff into the canon"... like the X-Men suddenly donning black uniforms back in the day, etc.

But then there's DC's usual ignoring of anything that 'works' in their films... as rare as that is.

There has to be a middle ground.

Just launch an Elseworlds ongoing, call it "Rise of the Bat", make the Joker a bum, and go with it. Sheesh.

Troy Wall
04-26-2012, 02:21 AM
In the 2008 Joker graphic novel, the Joker looked and behaved just like Ledger's portrayal. It was a great read, but the creators maintained that the film had no influence over the GN. Hard to believe when you're holding the book in your hands. Not sure why they would feel the need to deny it...awesome book.

A Nolanverse Batman comic would kick arse.

Comrade Hero
04-26-2012, 02:31 AM
Hmm... Marcus Johnson aka Nicholas Fury Jnr. goes from this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-EKFTeTpmh50/T3eBruFVKQI/AAAAAAAABSY/v7sVpRR94oU/s1600/MJ1.jpg

to this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XFV4DxfaheA/Tx9_B_1M3bI/AAAAAAAAMUs/cBuemp5JBQw/s1600/BATTLES2011006_Cov_Col.jpeg

to Samuel L. Jackson in six issues...

http://images.wikia.com/marveldatabase/images/8/85/Marcus_Johnson_%28Earth-616%29_002.jpg

It appears that the Infinity Formula works wonders when repairing injuries... (except for the missing eye)

Evan Henry
04-26-2012, 02:32 AM
What's weird is I don't dig Marvel's style... "jam random movie stuff into the canon"... like the X-Men suddenly donning black uniforms back in the day, etc.

But then there's DC's usual ignoring of anything that 'works' in their films... as rare as that is.

There has to be a middle ground.

Just launch an Elseworlds ongoing, call it "Rise of the Bat", make the Joker a bum, and go with it. Sheesh.

Exactly. Things like that generally work best if kept separate from the primary continuity. If I remember correctly, though, the entire concept of "Elseworlds" is basically defunct now, no?

Regardless, I think Ultimate Nick Fury is a slightly different case given that he's both a movie and a (albeit alternate) comic character. But rather than pulling the elaborate tricks that they did, wouldn't it have been just as simple to have some kind of inter-reality fuck-up that results in Ultimate Fury getting thrown into 616?

I don't know.

EDIT: Also, this entire thought is probably racist somehow, but would anyone seriously buy Sam Jackson as half-white? A grandson would have been far more plausible, both genetically and given the fact that Fury has been active since the early 1940s.

CHWolf
04-26-2012, 02:38 AM
Well, "Elseworlds" is a brand above all else. It's like the McRib, it'll always be back.

In the 2008 Joker graphic novel, the Joker looked and behaved just like Ledger's portrayal. It was a great read, but the creators maintained that the film had no influence over the GN. Hard to believe when you're holding the book in your hands. Not sure why they would feel the need to deny it...awesome book.

Yeah, I have no idea why they deny it, other than out of a need to give Ledger the credit. Respect for the dead and all, since people rave about his portrayal.

Comrade Hero
04-26-2012, 02:40 AM
Exactly. Things like that generally work best if kept separate from the primary continuity. If I remember correctly, though, the entire concept of "Elseworlds" is basically defunct now, no?

Regardless, I think Ultimate Nick Fury is a slightly different case given that he's both a movie and a (albeit alternate) comic character. But rather than pulling the elaborate tricks that they did, wouldn't it have been just as simple to have some kind of inter-reality fuck-up that results in Ultimate Fury getting thrown into 616?

I don't know.

EDIT: Also, this entire thought is probably racist somehow, but would anyone seriously buy Sam Jackson as half-white? A grandson would have been far more plausible, both genetically and given the fact that Fury has been active since the early 1940s.

Stranger things have happened. Anyone remember when Frank Castle a.k.a. The Punisher become Frank Rook (http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2012/02/23/i-love-ya-but-you%E2%80%99re-strange-that-time-punisher-was-a-black-guy/)?

http://www.the-isb.com/images/PunisherBlack03.jpg

Biofungus
04-26-2012, 04:10 PM

I'm not a fan of the films, but I'd be interested in the concepts delivered via comic format.
I disagree with this for one main reason:

You wouldn't get a "Nolanverse Batman", but rather someone elses interpretation of Nolanverse.

Biofungus
04-26-2012, 04:16 PM
If I was a citizen in Marvel 616, I'd be concerned that the significant security/para-military organization in the world has such lax hiring procedures.

First they make Osborn head of shield just because he pulled a trigger (nevermind his past *known* history as a psychopathic killer). Now they put this guy in charge just because he's Nick Fury's son.

David Hasselhoff would be so disappointed...

Evan Henry
04-26-2012, 07:45 PM
I disagree with this for one main reason:

You wouldn't get a "Nolanverse Batman", but rather someone elses interpretation of Nolanverse.

Well, the Nolanverse is already just a mish-mashed interpretation of Frank Miller and Denny O'Neil ideas and concepts, right? There are only five story ideas, etc.