PDA

View Full Version : Scott Snyder

Lovecraft13
04-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Colour me Purple, but I think Scott Snyder is the best and most progressive comic book writer working today. I think his work on Batman is the only reason why I'm still reading DC.

You could disagree, but why would you?

Troy Wall
04-20-2012, 10:32 PM
He's great. His Detective Comics run prior to the New 52 was my favorite comic of 2011. It was one of those rare books where you can't wait for the next issue and read it immediately after you buy it.

I bought his book of short stories, Voodoo Heart and enjoyed it too.

I've never been able to get into American Vampire, however.

Bishop
04-20-2012, 10:44 PM
I have to agree. His work on Batman has been fantastic, as has Capullos art.

Paul Sanderson
04-28-2012, 05:20 AM
His work on Batman is good, but no better than many other Batman writers over a great many years. I don't think his stuff is anything super special. Not a fan of Capullo's art, either.

iRacingRyan
04-28-2012, 03:27 PM
I love his writing style, and the ease with which he reveals his plots. From 'The Black Mirror' all the way up through the current 'Court of the Owls' storyline, I feel as though he's showed you enough of his hand to make you worry about betting against him, but doesn't reveal enough so you don't keep your money and fold since you know what's coming. :)

I suck at poker analogies.

I seriously love his American Vampire series, though. Desperately hoping that someone options it for a television series. There is so much potential and so many great characters that Snyder rotates through as he passes through the eras of American history. It's such a compelling and visual take on the vampire mythology that doesn't get hung up on the previously established notions about vampires, but actually embraces them and alters them. It's a joy to read.

Degenerate10
04-28-2012, 08:09 PM
I think the Court of Owls has been a great read. I'm looking forward to see what Scott does for a follow up arc. I'd love to see him do one of the established villains

Bishop
04-28-2012, 08:23 PM
I agree. I think this is the best Bats has been handled in years. I really hope they put the Court of Owls story in the queue to get the animated treatment.

iRacingRyan
04-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Animated? You could make it a two and a half hour thriller movie that would be AMAZING. :)

Some aspects might need to be tweaked and condensed, but the content itself just provides so much fodder for a great suspense/thriller that truly puts Batman at a disadvantage that he hasn't seen in the film arena.

Degenerate10
04-28-2012, 09:12 PM
You know the biggest thing I appreciate about this arc is that Batman actually has a challenge and he's not 'Bat-God' really.

Phatman
04-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Not a fan of Capullo's art, either.

:blink:

Bishop
04-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Animated? You could make it a two and a half hour thriller movie that would be AMAZING. :)

I agree, but I don't know that that will happen. I think DC does a standout job on their animated properties, and this would be a great followup to the Year One flick they just put out.

Oh, and I gotta give Capullo prop's too. This is the best that Bat's has been drawn in ages.

Lovecraft13
04-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Batman getting lost in the Labyrinth of the Owls was easily my favorite comic book in years. It was genuinely creepy, and nothing in comics ever creeps me out. I like Batman getting eff'ed up.

Troy Wall
04-30-2012, 11:19 PM
I've read the first eight issues of his Swamp Thing relaunch and it hasn't held my interest like much of his other work.

But that might be because Swamp Thing is fucking stupid.

Degenerate10
05-01-2012, 08:13 AM
I've read the first eight issues of his Swamp Thing relaunch and it hasn't held my interest like much of his other work.

But that might be because Swamp Thing is fucking stupid.

I've never been a fan of Swamp Thing. Never liked the concept of him in the least bit.

Paul Sanderson
05-13-2012, 08:56 PM
:blink:

Not my cup of tea.

yellowphantom
05-13-2012, 11:48 PM
I read Swamp Thing back in the 80's when Moore was doing the writing....back then it was ground breaking stuff, if you wanted good alternative work this was about all you had (except Cerebus, Love and Rockets, Grendel)...in a world full of capes it was breath of fresh (boggy?) air...

J^2
05-15-2012, 02:58 AM
Was Detective Comics #9 released May 2nd or May 9th?

BTW Snyder's writing rocks! ^v^

Paul Sanderson
05-24-2012, 07:44 PM
He's okay, but overrated IMO.

Lovecraft13
06-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Re: Batman #10. Spoilers ahead....

Looks like DC and Snyder brought Thomas Wayne, Jr back into continuity as the official Owlman.

Troy Wall
06-16-2012, 01:23 AM
Re: Batman #10. Spoilers ahead....

Looks like DC and Snyder brought Thomas Wayne, Jr back into continuity as the official Owlman.

The reveal jumped the shark, in my opinion. I was with the story 100% until this issue. The story was strong enough to stand on its own, I think, and have new villain(s) be revealed to be behind the Court without a big crazy retcon shoehorned in. I think it was even strong enough to not reveal who the Court's major benefactor was at all and save it for a later date.

Just a hard pill to swallow. I think what makes it fall so flat is that we are just coming off Morrison's run which played with Bruce's family and lineage CONSTANTLY throughout his run with Dr. Hurt. And it was very effective. I dig Snyder's work, but you can't follow Morrison with anything even remotely similar to what he has done, lest ye wish to pale in comparison.

Troy Wall
06-16-2012, 01:26 AM
I was also VERY surprised to see Snyder use the same theme with Thomas Wayne Jr. being "from the other side of the mirror" when he just gave us James Gordan Jr. as the dark reflection of Dick Grayson from "the black mirror". The repetition of it all in such close proximity made me dislike it.

Lovecraft13
06-16-2012, 03:40 AM
I hear ya. I bet there's gonna be a big payoff in Batman #11. At least it wasn't the Penguin in charge of the Court of Owls.... although, that could have been interesting, with the Cobblepot lineage and all, but he was already used in Detective Comics.

Paul Sanderson
07-02-2012, 10:27 PM
It's all one giant yawn.

Troy Wall
07-03-2012, 02:46 AM
It's all one giant yawn.

Nah, that's the Superman titles. And Justice League. Batman at least keeps you interested.

Off-topic, but I am bored to tears with Morrison's Action Comics. I dropped it a couple of issues ago. I gotta say, I didn't expect that. I've never enjoyed Superman comics, but Morrison's All-Star Superman is one of my favorite comic book stories EVER. It is pure comic book perfection, I tell you's... probably the funnest comic I've ever read!

So I was expecting a damn good comic with Action, but man is it ever boring. I guess it's because of the heavy editorial control over the New 52. Morrison ran fucking wild with All-Star Superman and it we reaped the rewards. I just read a couple of interviews from George Perez where he goes off about the ungodly editorial control over the New 52 titles, and how he had to get out of it all. I don't think the editors fuck with Morrison like they do a lot of the creators because of who he is, but I'm sure they give a ton of input over how this new Superman acts/does.

Lovecraft13
07-03-2012, 03:25 AM
I can't stand Justice League. It's not only a dull read, nobody stands out. Batman's all chummy, Superman's boring, the retort between Green Lantern and Flash doesn't move things along. It might as well be about people sipping tea for 22-pages.

JamesVenhaus
07-07-2012, 04:56 PM
I agree that Snyder's run on Batman in the New52 is amazing. But, did it bother anyone else that THREE separate bat-books (Batman, Nightwing and Batgirl) are all using similar "my long lost brother is a villain now" storyline. Although each is different, I found it perplexing that any editor would allow three such similar plot-lines to be introduced in the same 1-2 month span.

Troy Wall
07-08-2012, 01:43 AM
I would rather Owlman be a lunatic claiming Wayne heritage than actually be Bruce's long lost brother. Snyder could keep his retcon about there being a Thomas Wayne Jr., but have Owlman's origin be that he was another child locked up in the facility with him.

I think that'd be a whole lot easier to swallow rather than "Here's Thomas Wayne, Jr.!"