PDA

View Full Version : The Walking Dead: Comics Vs TV?

angelic13
04-10-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm surprised I don't see a thread here (maybe I wasn't looking hard enough...?), but I was curious about what others think of TWD's progression--both as a comic and a television show.

Truth be told, I've only had the pleasure of reading the first omnibus. And while watching season one of AMC's TWD adaption was a thrill, I'm not sure how I feel about seasons two and three, particularly the way the women are portrayed.

Thoughts?

Bishop
04-10-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm surprised I don't see a thread here (maybe I wasn't looking hard enough...?), but I was curious about what others think of TWD's progression--both as a comic and a television show.

Truth be told, I've only had the pleasure of reading the first omnibus. And while watching season one of AMC's TWD adaption was a thrill, I'm not sure how I feel about seasons two and three, particularly the way the women are portrayed.

Thoughts?

I enjoy both the tv show and the series, but I tend to think of them as different animals since there have been some pretty stark variances from the comic in the tv show. Also, there have only been two seasons.

Gonzogoose
04-11-2012, 02:31 PM
I absolutely love that the TV show has varied from the comic because it still has surprises for people, like me, who have read most or all of the issues of the comic.

I agree with Bishop in that I do consider them separate, but there are still little things occasionally that gnaw at me. Like I prefer Andrea in the comics and can't stand Andrea in the TV show. But I don't mind at all the straying from the comics' path. I think given the pacing of the show, if it followed the comic religiously it would become very boring for readers of the comic.

That said, I do get giddy when something familiar from the comic pops up, like Michonne or the prison in the Season 2 finale for example.

Gordon
04-12-2012, 07:57 AM
I enjoy the TV show. It's like an 'Elseworlds' version of the comic. I'm just hoping they grow the balls to take Carl down the path he treads in the comic.

Raven
04-12-2012, 11:13 AM
I like the TV series because it has what the comic doesn't: Hope.

angelic13
04-12-2012, 04:55 PM
I'm not bagging on the TV show. It's well-shot and generally well-portrayed, and I agree that they should be seen as two different animals (they are) with two different messages. There's a definite shift between the way human interaction is portrayed in the comics vs the television show.

I'm not saying I like the divergence from the source material, that isn't my issue. My issue comes from the way the women have been portrayed. In the comics, Kirkman did a pretty good job of balancing the women out; both men and women could act hysterical and irrational while both could also be highly rational and level-headed. But in the television show, I've found the women tend to congregate in one area with little to no agency of their own.

In the comics, everyone is taught how to shoot from the get go. In the show, the ones who already know (the men) don't bother showing the others how to until later, and even then it's a bit of a reluctant action. I do take some issue with Andrea's portrayal (not the actress's fault) along with how Lori's character shifted, particularly the original one-time heat-of-the-moment affair with Shane that, in the show, turned into a recurring thing with a justification that she and Rick weren't happy. In the source material, they were much happier and their marriage was intact; they worked together as equals.

I'm just touching on the iceberg here. Long story short, please don't confuse what I'm saying about not liking certain changes with me hating the whole of the seasons. I don't. I do think certain arcs dragged on rather long and the pacing felt uneven at points, but I've enjoyed the show very much overall...especially the addition of Daryl Dixon. :D How could I not love seeing Normal Reedus running around with a crossbow?

Andrew Lincoln is a fantastic Rick Grimes and even with the shift of some of the ages/back stories of the characters, I've actually really enjoyed Hershel, Glen, Maggie, and the short-lived Otis.

Troy Wall
04-14-2012, 07:45 PM
It's speculated that the TV show's Daryl Dixon character is about to make his comic debut in the upcoming art "Something to Fear".

I prefer the comic. The characters are presented as more complex and interesting in my opinion. The TV show seems to have some odd fascination with stereotypes, like T-Dog the token black man and Merl/Daryl Dixon the white confederate rednecks. :blink:

Degenerate10
04-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Personally I prefer the television show but love both. I love that the television show is going in a different direction than the comic did. I just wish Tyreese was in the show instead of T-Dog. But that's just me

Nar
05-04-2012, 10:33 AM
I never read the comics, unfortunately. But my gf and I have enjoyed watching the TV show. Well...most of it at least. (some parts went to heck).

Justice41
06-04-2012, 07:58 PM
The TV show does the small things, in the comics, better. Like the Barn. The chick they got playing Michone in the TV show looks way too chubby and petite unlike the fit bodybuilder type Michonne in the comics. So I guess Andrea and Michonne will find the gang at the prison after some harrowing and exciting zombie fun.

Colby
06-07-2012, 01:13 AM
I feel that they do different things rather well. The comic gives those shocking moments and what Kirkman always intended, which is a never ending zombie story. The television show has the luxury of delving into the characters and stories a bit more, giving us more layers and dimension to the stories already told. Not saying anything about quality, all I'm saying is that the show has time to really explore things where as the comic may always have the luxury.