PDA

View Full Version : African American Superman.

KidIntense
02-22-2012, 07:14 PM
That is right, Action Comics will star a whole different Superman, and he will be african american. He will protect the city of Metropolis, and his friends and the people he loves. I wonder if they will be a black Lois Lane? Read Action Comics and find out.

Buckyrig
02-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Icon? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icon_%28comics%29)

Jon Dahl
02-22-2012, 08:31 PM
That is right, Action Comics will star a whole different Superman, and he will be african american. He will protect the city of Metropolis, and his friends and the people he loves. I wonder if they will be a black Lois Lane? Read Action Comics and find out.

How can he be African-American and from a different planet at the same time?:huh:

CHWolf
02-22-2012, 08:31 PM
There was already a (curious) black Lois Lane.

The Dag
02-22-2012, 08:42 PM
How can he be African-American and from a different planet at the same time?:huh:

good point.

CHWolf
02-22-2012, 08:59 PM
Is this just a repackaging of Steel?

Buckyrig
02-22-2012, 09:19 PM

In the Byrne reboot of Superman's origin (don't know what the hell is the current line in DC), Kal-El was still in a "birthing chamber" when he landed on Earth, so I guess he was technically born in Kansas.

Mungkay
02-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Is this just a repackaging of Steel?

It's a continuation of "the other company did it so we're doing it too" that's been going on between Marvel and DC for years. They never would have even thought of this if Marvel hadn't made a version of Spider-man that's black.

Ray Dillon
02-22-2012, 10:59 PM

Y'know, that IS a good point.

It's also interesting to realize that the symbol of American patriotism is an alien.

The Dag
02-22-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm going to be African American from now on.

ponyrl
02-22-2012, 11:13 PM
No eyeballin' the white women!

Kep!
02-22-2012, 11:28 PM
We did this story at Shadowline WAY back in 2005/6. Seriously, "What if Superman were Black" and what would that mean. DC is stealing it back? Sheesh.

ponyrl
02-22-2012, 11:31 PM
DC did it in an elseworlds story where there were a group of supermen and one was black.

They're doing nothing new.

Now, make supes Hindu THEN you're talkin'!

Biofungus
02-23-2012, 12:45 AM
DC did it in an elseworlds story where there were a group of supermen and one was black.

They're doing nothing new.

Now, make supes Hindu THEN you're talkin'!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Pjo0WjBcs

ponyrl
02-23-2012, 01:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Pjo0WjBcs
Funny. :laugh:

Did you notice when they were dancing on the ground, he was WAY up on her?

BOING!

(She's cute, though ;) )

The Dag
02-23-2012, 02:43 AM
Funny. :laugh:

Did you notice when they were dancing on the ground, he was WAY up on her?

BOING!

(She's cute, though ;) )

she is really a he/she. he is famous in India.

Allegory Comics
02-23-2012, 01:28 PM
This is just a one-issue story exploring Supermen in alternate realities. This one is a black Superman who happens to also be President of the United States.

http://www.dccomics.com/media/product/2/1/21701_400x600.jpg

http://www.dccomics.com/dccomics/comics/?cm=21701

It is not a long term change in the title, or anywhere else in our New 52-Earth 1.

Mwynn
02-23-2012, 01:41 PM
This character was in Final Crisis.

Allegory Comics
02-23-2012, 01:47 PM
That's right, he was ...

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=25503

And here he is in a preview from Action Comics #9 (May 2012)

http://www.centralcitycomicsdb.com/wp-content/uploads/New52Multiverse.jpg

KidIntense
02-23-2012, 02:32 PM
My thought exactly.

Biofungus
02-23-2012, 02:59 PM
This character was in Final Crisis.
Yeah, but nobody read that tripe... :rolleyes:

Bishop
02-23-2012, 05:38 PM
My thought exactly.

Word.

The Dag
02-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Word.

My thought exactly

ponyrl
02-23-2012, 11:15 PM
My thought exactly
You miss the Jaz persona dontcha?

The Dag
02-23-2012, 11:47 PM
You miss the Jaz persona dontcha?

yes

CHWolf
02-24-2012, 02:26 AM
You could emulate some of his behaviors and call yourself Jag.

The Dag
02-24-2012, 03:09 AM
You could emulate some of his behaviors and call yourself Jag.

once i do that he will show back up.

Toyandgadgetguy
02-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Why does he get found by a black couple?

The Dag
02-24-2012, 06:00 PM

looks like he lands in a middle of a city too.

Buckyrig
02-24-2012, 06:28 PM

Why does an alien look remotely human in the first place?

Start pulling at those threads, the whole concept falls apart.

Biofungus
02-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Maybe a moderator should change the title of this thread to "African Kryptonian Superman".

The Dag
02-25-2012, 01:36 AM
Maybe a moderator should change the title of this thread to "African Kryptonian Superman".

Kryptonian American Superman makes more sense.

KidIntense
02-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Just wait until Action Comics issue 9 come out and you will see what I mean.

The Dag
02-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Just wait until Action Comics issue 9 come out and you will see what I mean.

i cant wait!

CHWolf
02-25-2012, 03:17 PM
How can an Alien be President of the USA, by the way? I assume they covered that?

The Dag
02-25-2012, 03:47 PM
How can an Alien be President of the USA, by the way? I assume they covered that?

i guessing clark kent is president. people don't know he's a alien.

Mwynn
02-25-2012, 03:52 PM

How would anyone know he is an Alien he has a secret identity same as Kal El. This Superman is probably from Vathlo Island on Krypton.

CHWolf
02-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Just considering the moral implications and possible ramifications of purposefully forging the documents necessary, lying, etc. when Superman is usually all about the "doing right" thing.

I suppose it's likely they'll address it. Lex Birther, etc.

Mwynn
02-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Just considering the moral implications and possible ramifications of purposefully forging the documents necessary, etc. when Superman is usually all about the "doing right" thing.

I suppose it's likely they'll address it. Lex Luthor, leader of the Birther movement, etc.

Not much different than Clark Kent. The Kents would have forged birth documents, as well as immunization documents. There is no way he could have gotten any shots. He would have forged passports as well.

CHWolf
02-25-2012, 05:47 PM
The level of immorality and scrutiny are arguably higher for President of the USA than Newspaper Reporter, though.

It's one thing to forge documents in order to live a 'normal' life, and another to use them specifically for what amounts to the biggest case of fraud in the history of the world. :B

Just saying, it'll be interesting to see how they handle this - and more interesting if they never do.

Buckyrig
02-25-2012, 06:05 PM
The main issue here is actually that Clark's disguise actually becomes absurd if he is president. I've always maintained that the disguise works because people don't actually think a guy who doesn't hide his face has a secret identity, and that the average person who saw Clark on the street would say, "hey, that guy looks a little like Superman" in the same way people say Jon looks like Keanu Reeves.

But, if his disguise and his secret identity are essentially the two most famous people on the planet...seems a bit harder to pull off.

(Yeah yeah, I'm sure I'm missing a boatload of info...probably everyone knows he's Superman or something.)

Mwynn
02-25-2012, 06:35 PM
The main issue here is actually that Clark's disguise actually becomes absurd if he is president. I've always maintained that the disguise works because people don't actually think a guy who doesn't hide his face has a secret identity, and that the average person who saw Clark on the street would say, "hey, that guy looks a little like Superman" in the same way people say Jon looks like Keanu Reeves.

But, if his disguise and his secret identity are essentially the two most famous people on the planet...seems a bit harder to pull off.

(Yeah yeah, I'm sure I'm missing a boatload of info...probably everyone knows he's Superman or something.)

I contend that all secret id's are absurd and there is no way in reality to maintain them over an extended amount of time.

Biofungus
02-25-2012, 06:41 PM
I contend that all secret id's are absurd and there is no way in reality to maintain them over an extended amount of time.
You wouldn't really know though, would you? If someone was pulling it off, then obviously you shouldn't know. And the truth is, there are many people (mainly criminals) who live for years, even decades under a secret ID and aren't found out except under extreme conditions.

Mwynn
02-25-2012, 06:49 PM
You wouldn't really know though, would you? If someone was pulling it off, then obviously you shouldn't know. And the truth is, there are many people (mainly criminals) who live for years, even decades under a secret ID and aren't found out except under extreme conditions.

There is a wide range of difference between a criminal having another identity. And someone like Bruce Wayne juggling a business during the day and jumping from roof top to roof top all night. Or someone like Clark Kent vanishing whenever Superman comes to save the day. Everyone makes mistakes, and with the kind of beating Bruce takes, and the amount of drugs he would be on. He would probably walk into the office wearing his utility belt, or go on patrol wearing his power suit.

Mwynn
02-25-2012, 06:50 PM
The level of immorality and scrutiny are arguably higher for President of the USA than Newspaper Reporter, though.

It's one thing to forge documents in order to live a 'normal' life, and another to use them specifically for what amounts to the biggest case of fraud in the history of the world. :B

Just saying, it'll be interesting to see how they handle this - and more interesting if they never do.

I see what you are saying, and the fact that this guy is based on Obama with his Birth Certificate issues makes it more interesting.

Buckyrig
02-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Billy Tipton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Tipton)

Tipton kept the secret of his extrinsic sexual characteristics from Betty by inventing a story that he had been in a serious car accident which had badly damaged his genitals and broken some ribs, and that to protect the damaged chest he had to bind it. From then on, this was what he would tell the women in his life.

Mwynn
02-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Billy Tipton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Tipton)

So based on your quote he was able to scam one person? Now figure out how Bruce Wayne would do it.

Buckyrig
02-25-2012, 06:54 PM
So based on your quote he was able to scam one person? Now figure out how Bruce Wayne would do it.

He scammed everyone.

Billy Lee Tipton (December 29, 1914 – January 21, 1989) was an American jazz musician and bandleader. Born Dorothy Lucille Tipton, he is also notable for the discovery, after his death, that he was female assigned at birth.

That's a more public career than Clark's.

Mwynn
02-25-2012, 06:55 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Abagnale

Eventually he was caught in France in 1969 when an Air France attendant whom he had dated in the past recognized him and notified the police

Only takes one mistake or letting your guard down for a second.

Buckyrig
02-25-2012, 07:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Abagnale

Only takes one mistake or letting your guard down for a second.

Yeah, but it's possible.

And Clark has the added advantage of being fictional. :laugh:
So the writers can be in complete control of whether or not that kind of thing ever happens. It's just about plausibility, not probability. I find a newspaper reporter who is secretly Superman more plausible than the President of the United States secretly being Superman.

That's not to say it doesn't sound like it could be a fun idea.

The Dag
02-25-2012, 07:18 PM
superman vibrates at super speed so you can't clearly see his face.

CHWolf
02-25-2012, 07:24 PM
http://www.cracked.com/article_18626_6-real-people-with-secret-identities-nobody-saw-coming.html

AHH CRACKED. HOW EVERYONE LOVES YOU UNIVERSALLY.

Mwynn
02-25-2012, 07:40 PM
superman vibrates at super speed so you can't clearly see his face.

Something I sure Lois loves.

Allegory Comics
02-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Remember this isn't the first time Superman has been president, either.

See Action Comics Annual #3 (1991)

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080930030752/marvel_dc/images/thumb/0/07/Action_Comics_Annual_3.jpg/351px-Action_Comics_Annual_3.jpg (http://dc.wikia.com/index.php?title=Action_Comics_Annual_Vol_1_3&image=Action_Comics_Annual_3-jpg)

In this story, Pete Ross is running for president and Clark Kent is his campaign advisor. When Clark saves Pete's life, his identity is exposed to the world. Later Pete steps down and he endorses Clark as a candidate, and Clark/Superman wins the election.

The Dag
02-25-2012, 09:13 PM
superman can be president anytime he wants by just saying i'm president now.

Biofungus
02-25-2012, 11:08 PM
There is a wide range of difference between a criminal having another identity. And someone like Bruce Wayne juggling a business during the day and jumping from roof top to roof top all night. Or someone like Clark Kent vanishing whenever Superman comes to save the day. Everyone makes mistakes, and with the kind of beating Bruce takes, and the amount of drugs he would be on. He would probably walk into the office wearing his utility belt, or go on patrol wearing his power suit.
That's what Alfred is for :)

juan.a.stewart
02-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Interesting, but honestly, why not just bring back Steel? In my opinion the story line would make more sense compared to “whatever” this “Superman” will be. Honestly folks, in my opinion DC seem to be going downhill with most of their ideas anyway, yeah but a lot of us know this already, yeah I know, so what. “Hey DC just bring back Steel.” (If they dint already, I’m not up to date with their ideas)

Allegory Comics
02-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Interesting, but honestly, why not just bring back Steel?
Because they already did.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/12/05/steel-joins-dc-comics-the-new-52/

http://i2.cdnds.net/11/49/618x951/comics_steel_new_52.jpg

“Hey DC just bring back Steel.” (If they dint already, I’m not up to date with their ideas)
Then why even bring it up?

As has already been pointed out in this thread: it's not like they are replacing Superman or even creating another New 52 character analog (ala: Batwing). This is a one-issue alternate reality storyline, featuring a character ("President Superman") who already first appeared in Final Crisis a couple of years ago. He'll be gone by the next issue, until DC decides to dust him off again in a year or so for more publicity.

Mwynn
02-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Interesting, but honestly, why not just bring back Steel? In my opinion the story line would make more sense compared to “whatever” this “Superman” will be. Honestly folks, in my opinion DC seem to be going downhill with most of their ideas anyway, yeah but a lot of us know this already, yeah I know, so what. “Hey DC just bring back Steel.” (If they dint already, I’m not up to date with their ideas)

If you are not up to date with their ideas, how can you claim their ideas are going downhill?

Allegory Comics
02-26-2012, 02:12 PM
If you are not up to date with their ideas, how can you claim their ideas are going downhill?
Right?

Biofungus
02-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Like, 90% of the people who've read the DCnU stuff agree it's crap and DC is going downhill, but you two are going to gang up on him because he admits he hasn't kept up? As if his claims about DC are so radical that he needs to be shoved back into his cave... :p

Allegory Comics
02-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Like, 90% of the people who've read the DCnU stuff agree it's crap and DC is going downhill, but you two are going to gang up on him because he admits he hasn't kept up? As if his claims about DC are so radical that he needs to be shoved back into his cave... :p
"90%," Bio? Really? I'll grant you that some aren't a fan of the new direction, but you can't argue its success. I think most people actually do like the new direction. I was very skeptical about it at first, but after reading a few of the books I'm really enjoying it now.

Overall, most of the reviews I have read have been very positive, and sales are higher than ever. For the first time in decades, DC was actually leading Marvel and caused Marvel to take similar steps -- like "Season One" graphic novels that reintroduce their characters, and same day digital releases.

90% is a bit overly-dramatic, doncha'think?

Mwynn
02-26-2012, 05:43 PM

I would really like to know where you got that 90% from. The sales have been up since DCNU started.

The Dag
02-26-2012, 05:51 PM
when someone puts % they really don't know the real % i do it all the time. are you guys new to the internet?

Mwynn
02-26-2012, 05:53 PM
when someone puts % they really don't know the real % i do it all the time. are you guys new to the internet?

:whistlin:

So in this internet age just error on the side of caution and go for the highest possible % you can? So I could say 99% of people think your post was terrible, and I would be correct? Because it is the internet.

Allegory Comics
02-26-2012, 05:56 PM
I didn't think he was giving an exact statistic, Dag, and I doubt Marvin did either.

But I do think he was using hyperbole to illustrate his point that "SO MANY PEOPLE hate this New DC" ... when there are actually reviews and sales reports that suggest otherwise. I just think he's wrong in the assumption that it's a widespread failure.

The Dag
02-26-2012, 06:22 PM
could the sales be high right now with people just buying them to see how they are?

Allegory Comics
02-26-2012, 06:29 PM
could the sales be high right now with people just buying them to see how they are?
Sure it could. But we're about 7 issues into the new titles now, and sales are still consistently high. Not as high as they were in the beginning, of course, but that's to be expected and they are still much higher than anything DC was doing before. Plus, the reviews are mostly positive, and that gives us some insight into what people are thinking.

I expect sales will still slowly decline for a few months, but overall this is still going to prove to be a big win for DC. When the dust clears, they'll wind up with more sales than they had before, positive reviews from critics and fans (some fans, there's just no pleasing), and a larger piece of the market share. That's the definition of a win.

The Dag
02-26-2012, 06:34 PM
90% of geeks will still buy stuff and bitch about how much it sucks after.

Allegory Comics
02-26-2012, 06:39 PM
90% of geeks will still buy stuff and bitch about how much it sucks after.
And lots of them certainly are; and that would be a valid point if not for all the positive reviews also. And to be fair, there are lots of negative reviews -- but from what I've been reading, most are very flattering and enjoying the new books.

We could play "what if ..." all night long. The fact is, there isn't a definitive measurement for something like this. All we have are sales and reviews, and both of those suggest it's going very well for DC right now. That's all the empirical data we have, and everything else here is just speculative.

Biofungus
02-26-2012, 07:21 PM
"90%," Bio? Really? I'll grant you that some aren't a fan of the new direction, but you can't argue its success. I think most people actually do like the new direction. I was very skeptical about it at first, but after reading a few of the books I'm really enjoying it now.

Overall, most of the reviews I have read have been very positive, and sales are higher than ever. For the first time in decades, DC was actually leading Marvel and caused Marvel to take similar steps -- like "Season One" graphic novels that reintroduce their characters, and same day digital releases.

90% is a bit overly-dramatic, doncha'think?
I haven't read any positive reviews of it, nor has anybody I've interacted with had anything actually *nice* to say about DCnU. Some say they'll stick with it for a bit, but I haven't actually read anybody say they felt it was 'good'.

Bishop
02-26-2012, 08:46 PM
I haven't read any positive reviews of it, nor has anybody I've interacted with had anything actually *nice* to say about DCnU. Some say they'll stick with it for a bit, but I haven't actually read anybody say they felt it was 'good'.

I'm enjoying Capullo and Snyder's run on Batman, but that is the only DC book I'm getting right now.

KidIntense
02-26-2012, 08:57 PM
I bet Action Comics issue 9 will be a blast.

The Dag
02-26-2012, 09:06 PM

in my pants!

Bishop
02-26-2012, 10:17 PM

Can't wait for blast off!!

CHWolf
02-26-2012, 11:35 PM
It's the same way people decide whether or not to see a movie or watch a show based on previews. The same way people decide whether or not to buy an album based on hearing one track on the radio/web.

You don't have to drink the glass of urine all the way dry to know it tastes bad to you - in fact you don't need to take a single sip.

You can just look at a foaming glass of warm wang soda and say: "Wow. I can't believe you're serving me this, you jerk."

:confused:

juan.a.stewart
02-27-2012, 12:37 AM
As has already been pointed out in this thread: it's not like they are replacing Superman or even creating another New 52 character analog (ala: Batwing). This is a one-issue alternate reality storyline, featuring a character ("President Superman") who already first appeared in Final Crisis a couple of years ago. He'll be gone by the next issue, until DC decides to dust him off again in a year or so for more publicity.

I spoke my opinion on Steel ‘cause he’s the kinda “Superman” I feel should stick in existence when it comes to there being a “similar” Superman. Thanks for the info on this particular Superman tho’, I read the thread. As for as how I’m up to date on things From DC, well let’s see here… hmm, besides knowing about them from my friends or relatives or whoever brings something from them to me or by knowing about what’s up with them from their website, I’m honestly not watching what DC is doing 24/7. I’m pretty sure DC has cool books out. Just pointing out my honest opinions on things instead of just guessing, once again thanks for the info fellas.

Mike63
02-27-2012, 04:44 AM

Where is the leaked artwork.....you can't mention something like this without leaked artwork. That's in the "Hype it up 101" handbook. Seriously though I would love to see this happen, it will be interesting. I am going to check it out.

O.K. I spoke before I read the other post. I saw the artwork.

Moonrider
03-01-2012, 03:12 AM
Where is the leaked artwork.....you can't mention something like this without leaked artwork. That's in the "Hype it up 101" handbook. Seriously though I would love to see this happen, it will be interesting. I am going to check it out.

I have it on a pdf in my computer at home.

Ahh, I haven't used that meme in a looooong time.

:p

KidIntense
03-01-2012, 09:57 AM
We can hope the Black Superman will be a cool comic book hero for Action Comics which will be great.