PDA

View Full Version : How would YOU reboot...

CHWolf
08-31-2011, 11:35 PM
Standard opinion/game thread.

How would YOU reboot a DC title?

Assume the "rule" is you have to make some sort of drastic change, even if you'd prefer the title stayed the same in real life. :P

Here's mine...

Hawk & Dove

Galavanting do-gooders Hawk & Dove are an all-new male/female duo with new secret identities, etc.

Twist: One is an Angel, the other a Demon, paired up to experience the heroism and villainy of humanity and come to an agreement on whether it will be saved or destroyed. Hawk is the warlike and pitiless angel, Dove is the demon with sympathy for imperfect man.

Their origins wouldn't factor into their appearance - to the outside world they're two heroes among many.

yellowphantom
09-01-2011, 12:22 AM
SHAZAM:
freddie freeman (the current shazam) and billy batson (the current wizard )
are destroyed during a huge goings on at the rock of eternity. mary marvel assumes the role of the "wizard shazam" and must find a replacement champion....i would play upon her still having a bit of the corruption she gained while she had black adams power...
...she would give the power of shazam to an elderly person rather than a child so we could explore power from the opposite side of the age spectrum...
...and there would be no ****ing mr. mind!!!! (or would there..bwa ha ha)

Evan Henry
09-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Green Lantern

The first inhabitant of planet earth chosen to join the hallowed ranks of the Green Lantern Corps, our hero must prove himself and become the greatest hero the Corps has ever known.

Twist: He's Detective Chimp. :)

Shep
09-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Standard opinion/game thread.

Hawk & Dove

Galavanting do-gooders Hawk & Dove are an all-new male/female duo with new secret identities, etc.

Twist: One is an Angel, the other a Demon, paired up to experience the heroism and villainy of humanity and come to an agreement on whether it will be saved or destroyed. Hawk is the warlike and pitiless angel, Dove is the demon with sympathy for imperfect man.

Their origins wouldn't factor into their appearance - to the outside world they're two heroes among many.

I'd read that!

Duane Korslund
09-01-2011, 10:21 AM
The Flash:
Have 2 flashes and 2 flashes only. Barry Allen and Walley West. Each time Barry uses his speed he microjumps a minute or two into the future, keep him the same age but aging everyone else around him (except Wally) by a minute or two from his perspective. Wally has the opposite effect everytime he uses his power he travels a minute or two back in time. They are caught in some kind of quantum circle that is masterminded by ...uh....a powerful villian who can manipulate time. Throughout the series they witness the loss of their loved ones as they are forced to manipulate time themselves through their powers, Until in the final arc they unite to face off against the time master but inadvertantly go so far with their powers that they cause a quantum explosion, which shatters time and dimension thus destroying the dcnu and restoring the dimensional integrity of the former dc universe.

Allegory Comics
09-01-2011, 10:42 AM
Throughout the series they witness the loss of their loved ones as they are forced to manipulate time themselves through their powers, Until in the final arc they unite to face off against the time master but inadvertantly go so far with their powers that they cause a quantum explosion, which shatters time and dimension thus destroying the dcnu and restoring the dimensional integrity of the former dc universe.
Or you can go read FLASHPOINT #5, which is on sale this week and is pretty much this exact story. Except when it restores the timeline, it creates the DCnU -- which, according to the story, is what it should have been all along.

Duane Korslund
09-01-2011, 10:44 AM
are you shitting me?? LOL...I havent read DC for a while other than batman...the EXACT story??? Wally goes back Barry goes forward? ...sigh...

Allegory Comics
09-01-2011, 10:47 AM
are you shitting me?? LOL...I havent read DC for a while other than batman...the EXACT story??? Wally goes back Barry goes forward? ...sigh...

No, not that part ... only the part I quoted. About Flash being trapped in time and watching their loved ones die and then fighting in the timesphere, or whatever, and creating an explosion that creates a new, singular universe. That is all (kinda) in FLASHPOINT #5 this week, and in the corresponding miniseries FLASHPOINT: KID FLASH LOST.

Duane Korslund
09-01-2011, 10:56 AM
oh, ok...well...I dont feel so bad and unoriginal then...still eerily close...maybe I'm looking forward into the future at the crapily way they'll decide to restore the previous dc universe /shrug.

jefftingley
09-02-2011, 03:15 PM
A cult of White Martians on Mars find signs of old beings that controlled the cosmos, and how they were were locked away behind gates found on seven different inhabited planets. The send a team to earth in the year 1947, to open it's gate.
A bad ass shapechanging bounty hunter comes after them (with weapons, that while human appear a bit like gunblades, but shapechange with him). All of them get captured in Roswell New Mexico and subjected to tests.
The bounty hunter finally escapes, only to find out while he is gone the cult left on Mars opened their gate and destroyed life on the planet.
5 other inhabited planets in danger, plus no idea what happened to the contigent on Earth. I give you, The Martian Manhunter.

PC812
09-13-2011, 08:30 AM
Green Lantern

The first inhabitant of planet earth chosen to join the hallowed ranks of the Green Lantern Corps, our hero must prove himself and become the greatest hero the Corps has ever known.

Twist: He's Detective Chimp. :)

If I were an editor, I'd give you a job based on that pitch alone.

Evan Henry
09-13-2011, 09:22 AM
If I were an editor, I'd give you a job based on that pitch alone.

:huh: Really? ...

Cool! :har:

CHWolf
09-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Green... Energy... Poop.

*fling*

Duane Korslund
09-13-2011, 03:16 PM
You could really just use poop for the whole oath...

In the brightest poop
In the blackest poop,
No evil shall escape my poop,
Let those who worships evils poop,
Beware my power, Green Lanterns poop!!

And that my friends...is just terrible...

ronin7
09-13-2011, 06:34 PM
This is how I would reboot Superman. Explain the Fortress of Solitude as a habitat (or animal preservation)for alien forms that Clark encounters that have no homes. It also serves as a place where Clark can keep dangerous alien equipment that he would not trust in anyone's hands, even allies. I'd make science based explanations for his powers, and they way they work using elements of Byrne's suggestions along with my own conclusions.

I'd make him powerful within the context of these science based explanations. I'd retool his rogues gallery, making Luthor a child polymath, with great reading comprehension, psychological manipulation skills, and scientific ability. How he'd be different in terms of past continuity is that he is a high priced consultant for the world governments and the industrial community. He would use the money and influence with the governments to make himself untouchable by the law national and abroad which would make him a world class criminal. Instead of using solely fear, he would manipulate people through their emotions by reading their body language like the Mentalist does.

I'd go back to the Byrne portrayal of the Krypton race with twists that would differentiate the portrayal from Byrne's. I'd firmly cement him as considering himself human through the explanations that outside the Krypton solar system there are alien life forms who despise the Kryptonains and have just as highly advanced technology, which is why he was sent as a fetus since their scanners would only detect biological life signs, something a fetus does not have.

Depending on how long I was on the book, I'd also have him encounter a partially damaged Kryptonain time capsule that would give him some understanding of Kryptonain history, science, and the like. However, since he would not have super intelligence, he would not be a gadgeteer, or inventor. He'd have super-memory, I'd explain that despite this he would not have matching super-swift information processing, correlating and comprehension. He'd be of a gifted level of intelligence, yet his brain is not that[ much quicker than a human brain. Because of this limitation, while he can remember anything he sees, hears, tastes, and feels due to unlimited memory, he cannot just as swiftly process the data, and it takes some effort to do so.

I'd make it wore the strength of his powers depends on the greater understanding he comes to in what he can do, and that like Byrne's revamp his processing of solar energy is gradual until he is an adult where it becomes more swiftly. This would allow me t explain how he got such great leadership skills and research ability that makes him a great leader of the Justice League.

I'd go into what I would do for Batman, and more -- I just don't want to throw too many ideas out though because creators who don't have my understanding of such concepts, or even writing ability would mangle the ideas.

I say this not as a knock on other writers, more on the fact that writers of the past twenty years, or so read less books, and watch more television, thus limiting the greater benefit from reading books across multiple genres.

Moonrider
09-15-2011, 06:39 AM
This is how I would reboot Superman. Explain the Fortress of Solitude as a habitat (or animal preservation)for alien forms that Clark encounters that have no homes. It also serves as a place where Clark can keep dangerous alien equipment that he would not trust in anyone's hands, even allies.

You mean like it was on WB's Superman: The Animated Series?

I think the JSA should be more like a real secret society than an actual superhero group. They have agents with codenames, but they don't necessarily need to wear costumes. The more discreet they are the better. JLA is a public organization of publicly known superheroes, but in reality it is actually the PR front of the JSA that was used mainly for distraction while the JSA agents confront the real problem by using any means necessary. But JLA members like Superman and Batman mostly refuse to play idiot as they tend to go with their guts.

I'm thinking a Batman that is really smart and clever but rather new at his job, still trying to understand the inner workings of the world of superheroics and vigilantism. In the JLA/JSA he's like the brash young talent in a huge company that has dated back a few hundred years. Robin will be more like a second in command as Gotham's protector, he's only slightly younger than Bruce and of course less experienced. He'll be a Peter Parker like character, around 18, Batman is around 28-29 years old.

Green Arrow should be more of a loose cannon, a former rich kid turned eco terrorist that got his ass handed to him when a real extremist group kidnap him and held him for ransom on a south east asian island. He escaped after knowing that the extremists were deeply connected with the CIA and his kidnapping was highly political in nature. After wandering around Asia in search of himself, he returned as a new man with a new mission. To topple corrupt governments, giving back power to the people, and prove that it takes an extremist to destroy other extremists.

The Blackhawks are an elite multinational squadron of disenfranchised military men originally formed as an army bent on taking over the world. Things didn't pan out the way they wanted when an actual alien invasion took place the same time they were advancing their forces to the UN building. They put aside their plans to combat the alien menace as fierce sky warriors, and won. Suddenly exalted as heroes, they became the unofficial champion for the UN against extraterrestrial threats and other military operations and given unlimited funding for research and technology. Of course, their own dream of conquering the world will not be extinguished so easily...

ronin7
09-15-2011, 10:51 AM
You mean like it was on WB's Superman: The Animated Series?

I think the JSA should be more like a real secret society than an actual superhero group. They have agents with codenames, but they don't necessarily need to wear costumes. The more discreet they are the better. JLA is a public organization of publicly known superheroes, but in reality it is actually the PR front of the JSA that was used mainly for distraction while the JSA agents confront the real problem by using any means necessary. But JLA members like Superman and Batman mostly refuse to play idiot as they tend to go with their guts.

I'm thinking a Batman that is really smart and clever but rather new at his job, still trying to understand the inner workings of the world of superheroics and vigilantism. In the JLA/JSA he's like the brash young talent in a huge company that has dated back a few hundred years. Robin will be more like a second in command as Gotham's protector, he's only slightly younger than Bruce and of course less experienced. He'll be a Peter Parker like character, around 18, Batman is around 28-29 years old.

Green Arrow should be more of a loose cannon, a former rich kid turned eco terrorist that got his ass handed to him when a real extremist group kidnap him and held him for ransom on a south east asian island. He escaped after knowing that the extremists were deeply connected with the CIA and his kidnapping was highly political in nature. After wandering around Asia in search of himself, he returned as a new man with a new mission. To topple corrupt governments, giving back power to the people, and prove that it takes an extremist to destroy other extremists.

The Blackhawks are an elite multinational squadron of disenfranchised military men originally formed as an army bent on taking over the world. Things didn't pan out the way they wanted when an actual alien invasion took place the same time they were advancing their forces to the UN building. They put aside their plans to combat the alien menace as fierce sky warriors, and won. Suddenly exalted as heroes, they became the unofficial champion for the UN against extraterrestrial threats and other military operations and given unlimited funding for research and technology. Of course, their own dream of conquering the world will not be extinguished so easily...

Yes, like Superman animated.

Biofungus
09-15-2011, 10:56 AM
Yes, like Superman animated.

Can't you just picture him saying this with gritted teeth? :laugh:

CHWolf
09-15-2011, 04:10 PM
I'd like to see some of these concepts given life.

Just change the name and go with it! :)

Bevan Thomas
09-22-2011, 06:38 AM
Have the Justice League and Justice Society be entirely separate universes again, with the inhabitants of the Justice Society all-aging in real time. I felt that made them in many ways more interesting than the Justice League, as it meant they settled down, got married, got promotions (Clark Kent became editor-in-chief of the Daily Star), evolved, became leaders of a new generation that rose from their proteges and children. Their universe was a lot more dynamic.

Have Superman be the first official superhero of the main universe and make Lex Luthor both a scientific genius and a corporate leader, like he was in the TimmVerse.

Have the Martian Manhunter having existed on Earth for decades, disguised as a regular human, and with the coming of Superman and the raise of the superheroes, he becomes inspired to "come out of the closet" and become a superhero himself. He sees these superheroes as potentially a family for him, a place he can feel at home and be himself, and so he brings together various heroes to form the Justice League. The Martian Manhunter is the League's leader from the beginning, counterbalancing Batman's desire to be a loner, Superman's desire to shoulder all responsibility himself and thus not take on partners, etc.

Have Luscious Fox be an old friend of Bruce and Thomas Wayne, an inventor who knows his secret identity, like he was in "The Batman" animated show and the Nolan movies. He, like Alfred, serves as a father figure to Bruce.

CHWolf
09-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Batman has two daddies.

ToddCannon
09-27-2011, 12:03 PM
I'd go into what I would do for Batman, and more -- I just don't want to throw too many ideas out though because creators who don't have my understanding of such concepts, or even writing ability would mangle the ideas.

I say this not as a knock on other writers, more on the fact that writers of the past twenty years, or so read less books, and watch more television, thus limiting the greater benefit from reading books across multiple genres.

Wow, how are you NOT the premiere comic writer of our age??? Where, oh WHERE can I get your published works??? I MUST be missing out on the greatest literary mind of our time. Really.

the_beast
09-27-2011, 02:31 PM
I'd link up the characters more. Such as :

Krypton still exists. Jor-El sent his son into space as the planet exploded just like the original history, but the shuttle went through a wormhole. It travelled millions of years into the past before crashing into Earth in the 1950s. Another thing that happenned due to the wormhole is that large chunks of Krypton travelled even further into the past. They crashed on Mars, wiping out nearly all of the Martian race. Matians are naturally only shapeshifting telepaths, but the remaining martians used the last of thier power and technology to grant one of thier race additional Kryptonian powers. That martian, J'onn J'onzz, becomes the Martian Manhunter, a feared intergalactic bounty hunter. Jump ahead to current times, the child of Krypton, Clark, grows up on a farm, aging slowly due to his alien genes, and moves to the city. One night he is confonted by a strange being who is looking for revenge for the destruction of his planet, the Martian Manhunter.

ToddCannon
09-27-2011, 02:50 PM
I think it would be cool to explore what it would have been like if Jor-El would have been able to escape Krypton with his entire family. Or maybe even a select group of Kryptonians.

It seems pretty likely to me that if a planet was going to explode that more than one person would know about it and take steps to leave the dying world. Think about 2012 the movie where governments came together to save a sampling of the population. What if Krytonians (led by Jor-El) had done the same and set up a secret colony here on Earth?

Allegory Comics
09-27-2011, 04:45 PM
I think it would be cool to explore what it would have been like if Jor-El would have been able to escape Krypton with his entire family. Or maybe even a select group of Kryptonians.

It seems pretty likely to me that if a planet was going to explode that more than one person would know about it and take steps to leave the dying world. Think about 2012 the movie where governments came together to save a sampling of the population. What if Krytonians (led by Jor-El) had done the same and set up a secret colony here on Earth?

They explored this in a miniseries last year ...

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/files/2010/08/smlfk_cv1_ds-copy.jpg

And last year's NEW KRYPTON storyline saw 100,000 Kryptonians arrive on Earth after being freed from Kandor. It did not end well.

Biofungus
09-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Not really a reboot per se, but I'd like to see Superman locked up in chains, surrounded by 'strategic' placements of kryptonite. Why? Because hearing all the people in trouble on Earth, but knowing he couldn't help them all finally drove him to a nervous breakdown. (I'd say "drove him insane", but "nervous breakdown" sounds more "fixable", and since you know things would have to circle back to some kind of status quo, I'd rather the fix be less of a stretch).

ronin7
09-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Wow, how are you NOT the premiere comic writer of our age??? Where, oh WHERE can I get your published works??? I MUST be missing out on the greatest literary mind of our time. Really.

Reading way too much into my comments, man. Other creators do steal from creators they think "could" get ahead. It happens.

PC812
09-28-2011, 12:22 AM

I wish I could "like" posts on here like on Facebook.

ToddCannon
09-29-2011, 12:42 PM
They explored this in a miniseries last year ...

And last year's NEW KRYPTON storyline saw 100,000 Kryptonians arrive on Earth after being freed from Kandor. It did not end well.

I'm going to find this! Looks great! Thanks, man. :)